The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

1899€. Release - who knows. STVC isn't out yet.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
Thanks
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
Im just excited , reminds me of Korg Z1 and Yamaha AN1x release vibe .
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afturmath View Post
Couple points of order since everyone seems quick to attack Raymond.

1: Raymond is a Korg rep specializing in Volcas. They threw the Kyra at him with no documentation and no product manager to answer questions, effectively giving him a few hours head start before he had to demo a completely new product. This was complicated by the fact that for some reason the demo presets were assigned to the last slots, not the first ones. Would you think to check the very last patch slots on a brand new synth if the first banks were empty? It took some time to figure it out. In the mean time he tried to come up with what he could on the fly while answering questions for passers-by.
2: This was Raymond's first NAMM and first time doing live interviews, many of which were with personalities he follows and reveres. Cut him a break for nerves.
3: I believe he has around 3 years of synthesizer experience, but he focuses primarily on Eurorack (Random*Source Serge). He has bookings in the DC area somewhat regularly as a live techno act, Theta Flux. His style is out there and certainly not for everyone, but that's style, not a reflection of his knowledge. Do his demos do a good job at showcasing the Kyra? Maybe not. Did he turn a knob or 2 that had no impact on the patch? Sure (see #1 ). Neither of these is a reason to attack him as a musician or synthesist; it was just a bad demo.

Now can we please focus on the ugly panel? I get the homage to the Virus, but it looks like an industrial control system.
My problem isn't really with Raymond but whoever was in charge. Yeah he can get a break for nerves, I don't think he knew what Kyra was or that there'd be such interest in it.

Can't say for certain that I'd check every bank but we'll just go with no. Doesn't mean you can't demo the synth well, it would take me longer to work out how to save a patch on Kyra than it would to make one witb no prior knowledge.

His style may be "out there" but he made the synth sound awful (not "out there").

Wasn't just one or two knobs that did nothing, he did it repeatedly. Also why was he rushing from one control to the next, sometimes doing hardly anything and later returning to the same control and setting it back to a value that was roughly around it's original (no, he wasn't tuning the synth) - he was fumbling around the synth, he should have just taken his time instead of trying to seem like he knew what he was doing (he didn't).

Again, clearly not his fault. The guy seems like a good fellow, approachable and seemed to have a good attitude so I understand why you would defend him but I'm not being personal or attacking him. What I saw in the video wasn't "style", it wasn't the kind of bad sound that sounded good it was awful.
He seemed tired and under pressure / a little anxious; It's not his fsult and I don't blame him but he gave awful demos (each one got a little better and he had more information each time but he really shouldn't have gone for a "hit and hope" approach to programming it)
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afturmath View Post
Couple points of order since everyone seems quick to attack Raymond.

1: Raymond is a Korg rep specializing in Volcas. They threw the Kyra at him with no documentation and no product manager to answer questions, effectively giving him a few hours head start before he had to demo a completely new product. This was complicated by the fact that for some reason the demo presets were assigned to the last slots, not the first ones. Would you think to check the very last patch slots on a brand new synth if the first banks were empty? It took some time to figure it out. In the mean time he tried to come up with what he could on the fly while answering questions for passers-by.
2: This was Raymond's first NAMM and first time doing live interviews, many of which were with personalities he follows and reveres. Cut him a break for nerves.
3: I believe he has around 3 years of synthesizer experience, but he focuses primarily on Eurorack (Random*Source Serge). He has bookings in the DC area somewhat regularly as a live techno act, Theta Flux. His style is out there and certainly not for everyone, but that's style, not a reflection of his knowledge. Do his demos do a good job at showcasing the Kyra? Maybe not. Did he turn a knob or 2 that had no impact on the patch? Sure (see #1 ). Neither of these is a reason to attack him as a musician or synthesist; it was just a bad demo.

Now can we please focus on the ugly panel? I get the homage to the Virus, but it looks like an industrial control system.
I just listened to some of his sounds, the Kyra demo isn't his "style" it was just awful (not blaming him) - his Theta Flux stuff is musical (I take back the part about no experience, just completely different experience), the Kyra demos weren't.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
1899€. Release - who knows. STVC isn't out yet.
Thats the price from last year right?

No new info?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

Even the Quantum demos were horrendous at pre-release and release.
Only now are we starting to hear a few good things from the Quantum.
You would think Waldorf would spend the time to showcase their synths better
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclone001 View Post
You would think Waldorf would spend the time to showcase their synths better
The Quantum is selling as quick as they can make them... so apparently there isn't much need to focus on marketing.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear
I thought Raymond did great for being shoved in the deep end
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

I think Waldorf did a fine job of instant damage control during NAMM by getting some good demos and patches in at the last minute. Even just winging it on the fly, the last couple of demos have sounded great. It’s a work in progress remember and I think when all is said and done this will be a fine little bro, er, sis (Kyra, after all) for the Quantum. I’m hearing the potential. Now, about the black text on blue...
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Head

I see that a lot of person ''compare'' it to the Virus, do you think it worth the hypothetical time to wait for the Kyra? or buying a virus is still an option at such a high price ? ( I can't find an used one where I live, and I don't want a used one...)
thank you
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Either that or they just don't have their act together. Or maybe because all of their effort is being spent on Quantum they don't have the resources to go around?

But I would say that the no release date or price is somewhat of a hint as to what's going on.
Disclaimer: i dont really know whats going in terms of Kyra at Waldorf.

This being said, i think it is much more likely that preparing a production run is just as time consuming nowadays.

If you dont solder yourself, you have to get a production slot at some company that does it for you.

Once you got that slot, you have to source the required electronic components. Not an easy feat for a small company like Waldorf, told me a Waldorf engineer a few years ago.

Keep in mind that they took this project in only like 7 months ago. There was no already running plan to squeeze it into their portfolio. They might even had to cancel another product (STVC?) to let it happen at all.

Seeing a working prototype in a new design and new format shows how much work was already done in these few months.

I think to imply they dont have their act together, is pretty unfair or may be hint of cluelessness on your part. Who knows.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by latoxine View Post
I see that a lot of person ''compare'' it to the Virus, do you think it worth the hypothetical time to wait for the Kyra? or buying a virus is still an option at such a high price ? ( I can't find an used one where I live, and I don't want a used one...)
thank you
Virus all the way over this. The sound is kind of thin from what I hear. It started as a Virus copycat(damn near). I prefer the Virus over a lot of things. I had the choice to buy the Quantum, but I bought another Virus and Prophet 6 for my new space in San Francisco. Have the same setup here in Houston as well. Nothing new has really grabbed my attention. It looks good on paper. Then it sounds too thin, or just characterless. As sad as it sounds... However, I am waiting for the next Sequential synth. Their sound has been improving in every new release. So I have no doubt that’s the next synth I’ll add to my current setup.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

"Valkyre" would have been a much nicer name. But difficult to pronounce for non english speakers, I guess..
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
thank you
I don't think it would be clever to buy a new Virus Ti, definitely not worth the retail price. Why don't you want a second hand one? You can get them really cheap, $500+ for a used Ti2 desktop (just be patient). If you don't want a used Ti then wait for the Kyra, there's a member who has had hands on eith it and they said they were impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyt View Post
I don't know how much it has changed but it was a pretty banging synth when I had it.
It was awesome for making dirty sounds also one of my releases has the bass and the pads from the Valkyrie synth in.
Theres a vid of when I was layering and filtering with it
Nutty T - Testing the new Valkyrie hardware synth...

This is the release
The pads and bass were from the Valkyrie.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
It seems to have patches now..
The day I spend $2000 on an 8-part multitimbral synth just to make that kind of rambling nonsense will be a strange one indeed.

Seriously, someone make a ****ing demo for this thing that actually showcases its musicality...or is it just for noodlers with too much money on their hands?
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

The demos with the rep from Korg are just very bad, original demos are much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
The day I spend $2000 on an 8-part multitimbral synth just to make that kind of rambling nonsense will be a strange one indeed.

Seriously, someone make a ****ing demo for this thing that actually showcases its musicality...or is it just for noodlers with too much money on their hands?
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
The demos with the rep from Korg are just very bad, original demos are much better
Yes, I actually was very interested in the Valkyrie based on last year's vids of it. The Kyra...so far a lot remains to be seen.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
Yes, I actually was very interested in the Valkyrie based on last year's vids of it. The Kyra...so far a lot remains to be seen.
Shows a lot of promise, it's a shame Manuel wasn't at NAMM. If you only saw the most recent demos it would be easy to write the synth off.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle201 View Post
"Valkyre" would have been a much nicer name. But difficult to pronounce for non english speakers, I guess..
That’s funny: I thought exactly the opposite, since english is much more phonetically limited...
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
That’s funny: I thought exactly the opposite, since english is much more phonetically limited...
U wot m8?
Old 30th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
thank you
I had been GASsing for a Virus for so long - had been waiting for the Kyra announcement (shipping?) that was promised at NAMM since last summer to compare. Ended up not being able to wait and bought a new TI2 polar last month - glad I did now that the Kyra availability is likely still a ways a way.

I will say that the Virus is now my favorite synth by far so if you want it I’d go for it and not look back - still so versatile and great sounding!
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Either that or they just don't have their act together. Or maybe because all of their effort is being spent on Quantum they don't have the resources to go around?

But I would say that the no release date or price is somewhat of a hint as to what's going on.
Disclaimer: i dont really know whats going in terms of Kyra at Waldorf.

This being said, i think it is much more likely that preparing a production run is just as time consuming nowadays.

If you dont solder yourself, you have to get a production slot at some company that does it for you.

Once you got that slot, you have to source the required electronic components. Not an easy feat for a small company like Waldorf, told me a Waldorf engineer a few years ago.

Keep in mind that they took this project in only like 7 months ago. There was no already running plan to squeeze it into their portfolio. They might even had to cancel another product (STVC?) to let it happen at all.

Seeing a working prototype in a new design and new format shows how much work was already done in these few months.

I think to imply they dont have their act together, is pretty unfair or may be hint of cluelessness on your part. Who knows.
Yes I did imply that because I am clueless because Waldorf hasn't been forthcoming with any info about the whole thing. Very frustrating.

I have also watched my fellow slutz become very disappointed in the way the Quantum release was handled, so that may have contributed to my option/statement as well.

I like Waldorf & personally I own 6 of their synths.
Yes its a small operation & I know they have struggled to get back in business since their insolvency.
But why not be upfront about things?
Im not telling anyone how to run their business but a little heads up for us would be nice.
Old 30th January 2019
Gear Nut

The basic tone is really nice, the presets are awful though. Posting the demo just for the record. They really need to hire proper sound designers next time and finally get their act together.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post

The basic tone is really nice, the presets are awful though. Posting the demo just for the record. They really need to hire proper sound designers next time and finally get their act together.
I think it will look good next to Maschine mk2.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Dear Santa..
I hope there will be a black version sort of like blofeld & that it will rack & they change the knobs..

Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
I don't think they are that bad. It depends on what kind of music you make. The Virus has similar presets. The pads are pretty good. Would like to hear more other stuff like bass and leads though.
Old 31st January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthio View Post
I don't think they are that bad. It depends on what kind of music you make. The Virus has similar presets. The pads are pretty good. Would like to hear more other stuff like bass and leads though.
I mean specifically the patches in the demo I linked. Don't get me wrong, some patches were timbrally very pleasing, I particularly loved Uber Orchestral Pad, Majestic PPG, Smooth Classics and Joe's Wonderwall preset. But let's be frank, an overwhelming majority of the patches were very ordinary sounding and puzzlingly unsophisticated with stuff like untweaked filter settings, vanilla sawwave plucks and so on. Not very pleasing, sometimes downright harsh. Kyra sounds very good, almost goes into hybrid territory at a couple of points, but a lot of patches were simply uninspired. We just have to wait for Musikmesse to hear more.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search