The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 29th January 2019
  #781
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
I'd love to know did the Roland jd990 and Waldorf XT inspire Manuel Caballero to build Kyra
Sounds like a Casio to me..
Old 29th January 2019
  #782
Gear Nut
Im looking forward to the first lifting the cover and peaking inside Kyra .

Also for Manuel Caballero first joint release , im happy for them and hope this deep partnership continues to grow .
Old 29th January 2019
  #783
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Sounds like a Casio to me..


Casio through BigSky sounds nice for ones that aren't made of money and need to dream
Old 29th January 2019
  #784
Gear Maniac
 

Casio CZ is legit.
Old 29th January 2019
  #785
Gear Nut
Yes CZ has a unique tone , I used a Casio SK1 synth/sampler years back , cool little thing .
Old 29th January 2019
  #786
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimket View Post
Casio CZ is legit.
Old 29th January 2019
  #787
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
Yes CZ has a unique tone , I used a Casio SK1 synth/sampler years back , cool little thing .
Old 29th January 2019
  #788
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post



Casio through BigSky sounds nice for ones that aren't made of money and need to dream
Old 29th January 2019
  #789
Gear Nut
That smile works , you need to shed the pounds though .
Old 29th January 2019
  #790
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by latoxine View Post
hello,
Did someone hear something about a keyboard version at naam ? I've read something about it on sos website in june but nothing since.
No. Couldn't even confirm if this version is rack compatible despite it looking the right width.. it'd be pretty ridiculous if it isn't.

The original design was supposed to be modular. As the synthesis engine grew more powerful the whole faceplate could be swapped out for a different set of controls (eg. one with loads of sliders)... and so there was to be a keyboard module the synth could slide into or such I think. But I'd disregard any of those plans since the redesign.
Old 29th January 2019
  #791
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Don't mind me guys just having a little fun..
Cazio'z ok..
Old 29th January 2019
  #792
Ian it just me or does every single demo of this sound severely underwhelming?
Old 29th January 2019
  #793
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground View Post
Ian it just me or does every single demo of this sound severely underwhelming?
It's just you... the demos sound great
Old 29th January 2019
  #794
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

I think it needs some more talented programmers to write more patches
& these NAMM demos are ok but kind off the cuff quickies.

Also it looks to be a demo model, a nice one but still..
The Korg Rep said it was a kind of spiritual successor to the Virus, but they have replaced the homage look and made it into something that looks like it belongs in a hospital..
What's frustrating me is the seemingly cavalier attitude they have about it, the German stereotype is not in effect here.

These NAMM noodelings don't really do it for me the whole presentation sucks.
Old 29th January 2019
  #795
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaeground View Post
Ian it just me or does every single demo of this sound severely underwhelming?
Depends which demos you've seen. There are some good ones and a lot from a Korg rep who only learnt which notes not to press and set himself a challenge to see how many knobs and buttons he could use (even when they didn't actually do anything) during the demo
Old 29th January 2019
  #796
Gear Nut
Im still liking Kyra , im getting , theatre clothes 80s style im getting too
Old 29th January 2019
  #797
Gear Nut
Casio should have kept floating there little corner of developments after CZ etc.
Old 29th January 2019
  #798
Lives for gear
 

It's all digigital so you may as well just use a Casio.
Old 29th January 2019
  #799
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
Casio should have kept floating there little corner of developments after CZ etc.
There is Bazille, can't say where or not it sounds like a Casio CZ but you can get some amazing sounds from it
Old 29th January 2019
  #800
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
It's all digigital so you may as well just use a Casio.
Yes, because there is a wide selection of FPGA based Casio synths capable of 1280 simultaneous oscillators, 3000+ oversampled wave tables and 8 part multitimbrality.
Old 29th January 2019
  #801
Gear Nut
I heard , sounds good .
Old 29th January 2019
  #802
Lives for gear
 

Damn. OK, how about a hardware vs software argument
Old 29th January 2019
  #803
Lives for gear
 
apessino's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
Depends which demos you've seen. There are some good ones and a lot from a Korg rep who only learnt which notes not to press and set himself a challenge to see how many knobs and buttons he could use (even when they didn't actually do anything) during the demo
Well, I am sure everything looks easy from behind your little keyboard, but as someone who was actually there and talked to the "Korg rep" at length, he actually was quite dedicated and did the best he could given the fact that:

a) he was given a barely functional unit and no time to work with it - they obviously cut it too close with getting the prototype ready for the show. It arrived empty and without basic content to get oriented with.

b) I don't know for sure, but at least for most of the first day I suspect there was something wrong the setup, my guess is they updated the OS at some point because for several hours it was nearly impossible to get the unit to work properly.

The Kyra, at least at the show, was clearly not ready for prime time. There are usability and production issues still to be solved. Nothing that should take massive amounts of time to address, but I do believe it would have been a better idea not to show at NAMM and just postpone its (re)introduction until the next event.

With that said, the spec of it are still intriguing and it has the potential to sound amazing and offer something unique. It is the natural evolution of the Virus concept (if not the Virus itself), digital performance far beyond what is possible with software in a self contained hardware package. The Virus did it back then with DSP, the Kyra will do it with FPGA by forgoing the analog hybrid approach.

My biggest concern with it is going to be its UX - it was all right in my brief test at the show, but since it was so difficult to orient oneself and get feedback, it left a mostly negative impression on me as far as programmability. Still, it has enough knobs and direct functions that it should all be addressed before release.

Hopefully by the next showing it will be closer to its final form and we can get a better sense of how it is shaping up.
Old 29th January 2019
  #804
Gear Addict
 
REwire's Avatar
I didn't think I'd ever pay 2K for a VA ever this one has something amazing about it. The sounds remind me of the original Roland JP-8000 but like 8 at once. I always toy with getting a JP8K again but this is it now.

Must buy!

Dan
Old 29th January 2019
  #805
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Well, I am sure everything looks easy from behind your little keyboard, but as someone who was actually there and talked to the "Korg rep" at length, he actually was quite dedicated and did the best he could given the fact that:

...
It doesn't look easy because I am behind a keyboard, it looks easy because I understand the basics of synthesis.

He did the best that he could given the fact that he had no understanding of synthesisers and seemed like he have no experience with music performance / production.

You don't need to be able to play to hear when nltes sound bad next to each other and anyone with at least a little experience with synthesis would have given a better demo - why was his using the synth at a speed only someone who was familiar with it would? He was just randomly turning knobs and buttons and at such a speed.
From the first demo to the last he learnt all of the specs and a combination of notes that sounded good together, I was quite impressed.

Its not his fault, afaict he is just a sales rep - the fact is they could have found someone who could have given demos that were 100x better but for some reason didn't.
Old 29th January 2019
  #806
Gear Nut
Kyra might be at Musikmesse Frankfurt 2019 , let's hope and see . Waldorf could cycle on a bike with Kyra to Musicmesse
Old 29th January 2019
  #807
Couple points of order since everyone seems quick to attack Raymond.

1: Raymond is a Korg rep specializing in Volcas. They threw the Kyra at him with no documentation and no product manager to answer questions, effectively giving him a few hours head start before he had to demo a completely new product. This was complicated by the fact that for some reason the demo presets were assigned to the last slots, not the first ones. Would you think to check the very last patch slots on a brand new synth if the first banks were empty? It took some time to figure it out. In the mean time he tried to come up with what he could on the fly while answering questions for passers-by.
2: This was Raymond's first NAMM and first time doing live interviews, many of which were with personalities he follows and reveres. Cut him a break for nerves.
3: I believe he has around 3 years of synthesizer experience, but he focuses primarily on Eurorack (Random*Source Serge). He has bookings in the DC area somewhat regularly as a live techno act, Theta Flux. His style is out there and certainly not for everyone, but that's style, not a reflection of his knowledge. Do his demos do a good job at showcasing the Kyra? Maybe not. Did he turn a knob or 2 that had no impact on the patch? Sure (see #1 ). Neither of these is a reason to attack him as a musician or synthesist; it was just a bad demo.

Now can we please focus on the ugly panel? I get the homage to the Virus, but it looks like an industrial control system.
Old 29th January 2019
  #808
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Thanks for this explanation it clears up some stuff for me.

In short they rushed it to demo for the show, understandable.

Maybe if that was stated at the beginning of the demo I would have been more clear about it.

Like you say its a demo not ready for prime time thats why there wasn't a proper roll out

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
Depends which demos you've seen. There are some good ones and a lot from a Korg rep who only learnt which notes not to press and set himself a challenge to see how many knobs and buttons he could use (even when they didn't actually do anything) during the demo
Well, I am sure everything looks easy from behind your little keyboard, but as someone who was actually there and talked to the "Korg rep" at length, he actually was quite dedicated and did the best he could given the fact that:

a) he was given a barely functional unit and no time to work with it - they obviously cut it too close with getting the prototype ready for the show. It arrived empty and without basic content to get oriented with.

b) I don't know for sure, but at least for most of the first day I suspect there was something wrong the setup, my guess is they updated the OS at some point because for several hours it was nearly impossible to get the unit to work properly.

The Kyra, at least at the show, was clearly not ready for prime time. There are usability and production issues still to be solved. Nothing that should take massive amounts of time to address, but I do believe it would have been a better idea not to show at NAMM and just postpone its (re)introduction until the next event.

With that said, the spec of it are still intriguing and it has the potential to sound amazing and offer something unique. It is the natural evolution of the Virus concept (if not the Virus itself), digital performance far beyond what is possible with software in a self contained hardware package. The Virus did it back then with DSP, the Kyra will do it with FPGA by forgoing the analog hybrid approach.

My biggest concern with it is going to be its UX - it was all right in my brief test at the show, but since it was so difficult to orient oneself and get feedback, it left a mostly negative impression on me as far as programmability. Still, it has enough knobs and direct functions that it should all be addressed before release.

Hopefully by the next showing it will be closer to its final form and we can get a better sense of how it is shaping up.
Old 29th January 2019
  #809
Lives for gear
 
NEXUS-6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afturmath View Post
Couple points of order since everyone seems quick to attack Raymond.

1: Raymond is a Korg rep specializing in Volcas. They threw the Kyra at him with no documentation and no product manager to answer questions, effectively giving him a few hours head start before he had to demo a completely new product. This was complicated by the fact that for some reason the demo presets were assigned to the last slots, not the first ones. Would you think to check the very last patch slots on a brand new synth if the first banks were empty? It took some time to figure it out. In the mean time he tried to come up with what he could on the fly while answering questions for passers-by.
2: This was Raymond's first NAMM and first time doing live interviews, many of which were with personalities he follows and reveres. Cut him a break for nerves.
3: I believe he has around 3 years of synthesizer experience, but he focuses primarily on Eurorack (Random*Source Serge). He has bookings in the DC area somewhat regularly as a live techno act, Theta Flux. His style is out there and certainly not for everyone, but that's style, not a reflection of his knowledge. Do his demos do a good job at showcasing the Kyra? Maybe not. Did he turn a knob or 2 that had no impact on the patch? Sure (see #1 ). Neither of these is a reason to attack him as a musician or synthesist; it was just a bad demo.

Now can we please focus on the ugly panel? I get the homage to the Virus, but it looks like an industrial control system.

I agree Raymond did a great job with what he was given which was apparently no much at all..
They didn't even give him the basics like price & release date which made him look like an Ahole..
Old 29th January 2019
  #810
Gear Nut
Please Waldorf give price or release date very soon , im in love with it and it will be incredible
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump