The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
That's correct. Its like to have a general platform for the next 5 years. But what I am not sure about is whether Waldorf has the man power and who will continue. The design comes from the inventor. FPGA is hardware design and not just another programming language.
Manuel did not seem like someone who wanted to do one thing and stop... Seems likely he will want to still be involved
Old 28th January 2019
Here for the gear

I don't know how much it has changed but it was a pretty banging synth when I had it.
It was awesome for making dirty sounds also one of my releases has the bass and the pads from the Valkyrie synth in.
Theres a vid of when I was layering and filtering with it
Nutty T - Testing the new Valkyrie hardware synth...

This is the release
The pads and bass were from the Valkyrie.

Last edited by nuttyt; 28th January 2019 at 11:57 PM..
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyt View Post
I don't know how much it has changed but it was a pretty banging synth when I had it.
It was awesome for making dirty sounds also one of my releases has the bass and the pads from the Valkyrie synth in.
Theres a vid of when I was layering and filtering with it
Nutty T - Testing the new Valkyrie hardware synth...
PMSL! You are funny Nutty

May as well be playing it through a potato without direct audio :o
Even still, it did sound okay and that sound design isn't half bad

What are the wavetables like? Are they scannable? Do they morph from one waveform to another (unlike the Ti which just seems to get louder and quieter)? How do you compare the fx to the Ti (Ti's are pretty nice imo)? Can't really hear much detail, how are the filters with resonance? Any information on the formant filter in the fx section?
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Valkyrie/Kyra doesn't have scannable wavetables - just single cycle ones.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Valkyrie/Kyra doesn't have scannable wavetables - just single cycle ones.
Is this from one of the videos with Manuel? Must have missed it
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, even back then it didn't have wavetable scanning a la PPG. Just single cycles, thousands of them.
Old 29th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by praiseallah View Post
PMSL! You are funny Nutty

May as well be playing it through a potato without direct audio :o
Even still, it did sound okay and that sound design isn't half bad

What are the wavetables like? Are they scannable? Do they morph from one waveform to another (unlike the Ti which just seems to get louder and quieter)? How do you compare the fx to the Ti (Ti's are pretty nice imo)? Can't really hear much detail, how are the filters with resonance? Any information on the formant filter in the fx section?
The FX were pretty banging especially the phase. The filters were really nice on it. I really loved the LFO's on it as well when I was sound designing on it to add an extra bit of detune to synths.
I did about 5 patches for it including a few plucks and leads also remade the Terminator theme patch but not sure if they were kept.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyt View Post
The FX were pretty banging especially the phase. The filters were really nice on it. I really loved the LFO's on it as well when I was sound designing on it to add an extra bit of detune to synths.
I did about 5 patches for it including a few plucks and leads also remade the Terminator theme patch but not sure if they were kept.
Does the phaser have a 2-pole mode and is the order of effects configurable?
The guy from the most recent demos said that the LFOs could use the wavetables too, is this true?

Nutty where do I get my Valkyrie from?
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Abit o nutty drain bamage..
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut

Isn’t the definition of a wavetable an oscillator with a table of waves that can be scanned through?
Can single cycle waves be called a wavetable?
Similar to the Nord 4 calling it’s single cycle waves wavetables
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Maniac

This looks really interesting. I have been running my sessions at 96k recently...as soon as i get a few high end VST synths going, my computer gets pounded.
If this has a VST editor this will be insanely tempting. To be able to have that many voices/oscillators/layers at that high a sample rate, without any strain on my CPU......wow.
Have they said when its gonna be out yet? Literally just came across this.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

The Kyra sounds wonderful ! Will have to get one.

Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
Sounds getting nicer but any Linear FM?

Are the effects 32bit ?
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post

Im really digging this demo , It just sounds so delicate and deeply moving with a wide sound spectrum , hope others developers are watching , I love Analogue and hopefully now the future of Digital is beginning to make start here with the FPGA engine .
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon View Post
This looks really interesting. I have been running my sessions at 96k recently...as soon as i get a few high end VST synths going, my computer gets pounded.
If this has a VST editor this will be insanely tempting. To be able to have that many voices/oscillators/layers at that high a sample rate, without any strain on my CPU......wow.
Have they said when its gonna be out yet? Literally just came across this.
128 note polyphony is great... and that is with 2 Osc's plus 2 sub-Osc's and 2 filters per voice.

Plus the 8 parts each have the full separate FX section.

I also like to run my projects @96khz (depending on the softsynths used). Adding a Kyra means no more need for me to bounce parts...

No firm release date other than 'soon'.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
I'd love to know did the Roland jd990 and Waldorf XT inspire Manuel Caballero to build Kyra
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

It seems like Waldorf is still not ready to release the Kyra, I'm guessing they are in the final development phase. They don't have it yet in their Hardware Synth list.

I'm very excited to see Waldorf officially release the Kyra in the near future, it surely caught my eyes, and ears, this thing is a monster. Depending on how they go about further developing it, and adding more features via OS updates, (similar to the Virus Ti). It has a lot of potential to evolve, and deliver more options over time.

Having 8 independent synths, 8 parts (1 synth per part), with independent effects, various synthesis options, and loads of polyphony (128 voices), and DSP power, makes this an amazing synthesizer. I also think they will have a VST Editor for it.

Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclone001 View Post
Isn’t the definition of a wavetable an oscillator with a table of waves that can be scanned through?
Can single cycle waves be called a wavetable?
Similar to the Nord 4 calling it’s single cycle waves wavetables
PPG/Waldorf definition of a wavetable differs from the rest of the world's definition of a wavetable.

Wavetable synthesis - Wikipedia
Old 29th January 2019
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
PPG/Waldorf definition of a wavetable differs from the rest of the world's definition of a wavetable.

Wavetable synthesis - Wikipedia
LOL I believe i wrote that entry out of frustration.

While someone else added the: "S&S (Sample and Synthesis) and Digital Wave Synthesis....." part.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't get the whole story.
Uh. You know what, I’m tired of your constant negativity. Every post - there you are again ready to nibble away at any positivity or to just chime in with how bad something is.

Did you not get enough attention as a child?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post

Sounds really nice! Great sounding filters too. Some of the sounds were quite reminiscent of an Elka Synthex in parts. Mainly the big fizzy saw sounds.

I like how the screen animates to the control you’re tweaking as it gives you a good visual feedback that you’re changing something and in the context that you’re changing it. Very cool.

Is the price still under €2k? Does it still have individual balanced outputs?

Very interesting. They’ve obviously been working on the patches since Valkyrie. I wonder if the computer software is ready for it too.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Uh. You know what, I’m tired of your constant negativity. Every post - there you are again ready to nibble away at any positivity or to just chime in with how bad something is.

you know what is worse than constant negativity (your perception by the way)? Constant positivity.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Sounds really nice! Great sounding filters too. Some of the sounds were quite reminiscent of an Elka Synthex in parts. Mainly the big fizzy saw sounds.

I like how the screen animates to the control you’re tweaking as it gives you a good visual feedback that you’re changing something and in the context that you’re changing it. Very cool.

Is the price still under €2k? Does it still have individual balanced outputs?

Very interesting. They’ve obviously been working on the patches since Valkyrie. I wonder if the computer software is ready for it too.

This is the question now....
what will the price point be? Also will it have a VST editor?
These two things will really effect sales IMO (certainly in my case)

Really exciting tho. Nice to see something like this. There are a lot of really quite decent analogs now at really low prices. It would be nice to see this priced competitively.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
you know what is worse than constant negativity (your perception by the way)? Constant positivity.
What can I say... I'm just a horrible person.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

I think 1899€ was mentioned as a price somewhere. So not far from 2k... I am not sure it'll exactly fly off the shelves at that price. 1499€ would've been the perfect price point for this one IMO.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think 1899€ was mentioned as a price somewhere. So not far from 2k... I am not sure it'll exactly fly off the shelves at that price. 1499€ would've been the perfect price point for this one IMO.
Perhaps it’ll drop with Waldorf & Korg’s extra distribution possibilities? I agree though, around €1499 would make it very desirable.
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What can I say... I'm just a horrible person.
... or someone interpreting too much ON THE INTERNET. Nobody remotely said this synth sounds bad or something. The first thing was to compare the old design versus the new one.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Addict

Can't believe people think the price is too high, if this really does sound much better than the Ti I'd happily pah up to £2499.
More powerful than the Ti2, sounds much better (assumption), will receive lots of updates, user uploadable waveforms, more features.
< £2000 seems like a bargain
Old 29th January 2019
Lives for gear

If it sounds better than a Virus remains to be seen. I hope it sounds different enough, so we can keep both.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Head

hello,
Did someone hear something about a keyboard version at naam ? I've read something about it on sos website in june but nothing since.
Old 29th January 2019
Gear Nut
"The Valkyrie 128-voice, 10-oscillator virtual analogue synthesizer that we reported on at Musikmesse earlier this year has found a design, manufacturing and distribution partner in Waldorf Music. It will be launched at Winter NAMM in desktop/rackmount form in January 2019 at a price of 1899 Euros. A keyboard version will follow later in 2019. " ,

From SOS .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search