The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
This is immediately what I thought when people started discussing pronunciation

Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperNET View Post
It’s amazing that these people work for synthesizer company’s and don’t seem to have any idea what they are doing.
I thought the demo guy did a good job. He works for Korg and Waldorf drops off a prototype that has no presets and he is supposed to demo it for people. He knew the specs and did fine as far as live tweaking a synth he doesn't know in realtime on camera.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Have they said how many waveforms are available per wavetable yet?
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

I think Kyra is just single-cycle waves, no PPG/Waldorf-style wavetabling. At least that was the case before, unless Waldorf added something to it?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
Have they said how many waveforms are available per wavetable yet?
5 per osc
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah... my recollection is that it is a single wavetable with like 3000 waveforms and you can only select the individual waves, not scan through it.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I think Kyra is just single-cycle waves, no PPG/Waldorf-style wavetabling. At least that was the case before, unless Waldorf added something to it?
From what I've understood, they've added a second suboscillator. LFOs can also achieve audio rates now as well, too bad envelopes aren't apparently loopable. And the wavetables are single-cycle waveforms, yes.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Yeah... my recollection is that it is a single wavetable with like 3000 waveforms and you can only select the individual waves, not scan through it.
Ok, I had a suspicion it was something like this, but I heard some people question this fact after Waldorf picked it up, so I wondered if it changed.

Certainly doesn't "ruin" the synth (DW8000 and ESQ-1 had this limitation and still sounded great), but if you go in expecting Waldorf-style wavescanning, it could be a nasty surprise.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'd say Waldorf has plenty enough "true wavetable" synths and it's time for something else.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Wheres Nick Batt when you need him?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut
PWM wasn't working. Nick has found his Sing Song harmonics elsewhere.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

I wanted to make a comment about Nick and PWM in some way but you did it better than what I had in mind
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

My really big question is: Where's Manuel? I really, really hope he's not out in his garden shed sulking because of what Waldorf has done to his baby.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut
Yeah I'm hoping he got a great deal, & paid off that mortgage that I'd heard he'd used to finance the Valkyrie project.
Old 25th January 2019
I popped by the booth a couple of times yesterday hoping to play this, but wasn't able to. It looked good, though!

(I did play the Quantum, which was awesome.)
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnalvl View Post
Ok, I had a suspicion it was something like this, but I heard some people question this fact after Waldorf picked it up, so I wondered if it changed.

Certainly doesn't "ruin" the synth (DW8000 and ESQ-1 had this limitation and still sounded great), but if you go in expecting Waldorf-style wavescanning, it could be a nasty surprise.
Yeah... good to have it clear so users don't get unrealistic expectations...

With a Quantum arriving "soon" I got wavetables covered!

I'm interested in the Kyra because it has lots of polyphony and is multi-timbral and should be able to do lots of basic sounds well. Plus I find its basic sound character appealing.

Between the Quantum, Kyra, Analog Rytm plus a few softsynths I can make realtime compositions without bouncing.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Kyra: the ghostly drone and arpeggiated horror movie score synth.

Splendid. Next...
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah... good to have it clear so users don't get unrealistic expectations...

With a Quantum arriving "soon" I got wavetables covered!

I'm interested in the Kyra because it has lots of polyphony and is multi-timbral and should be able to do lots of basic sounds well. Plus I find its basic sound character appealing.

Between the Quantum, Kyra, Analog Rytm plus a few softsynths I can make realtime compositions without bouncing.
same here. i think if i could replace my microwave xt with kyra. if they are completely! different beasts i will just add Kyra to my Waldorf legacy
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict
This demos are hilarious.
Why make presentations when they sounds like this?
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
Why make presentations when they sounds like this?
Why not?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Why not?
Because it sounds like it sounds...?
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiTeR-aR View Post
Because it sounds like it sounds...?
I found the demos interesting. I actually prefer to hear someone playing around with various parameters looking for interesting sounds. It gives an honest look at the synth and I think it gives a better sense of the basic tone and character of the synth than a small set of polished presets.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I found the demos interesting. I actually prefer to hear someone playing around with various parameters looking for interesting sounds. It gives an honest look at the synth and I think it gives a better sense of the basic tone and character of the synth than a small set of polished presets.
I wholeheartedly agree. The sound of Kyra struck me as thicker, more textured than other digitals. It's probably some chorus and the dual mode at work, although I could be just imagining things. It definitely doesn't sound analog, but it doesn't sound thin either IMHO. Suffice to say, I like the basic tone.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are some interesting sounds. On the other hand, the presenter obviously is hardly prepared for this thing and just scratching the surface.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Can someone please ask some basic questions? We already know Raymond doesn't have the answers maybe ask someone else.

Can it be racked?

When will it be released?

How much will it cost?

Thank you.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

"They plan to release it at NAMM 2019 priced at €1899."

source: Waldorf KYRA: virtual analog FPGA powered hardware synthesizer we've seen before - gearnews.com
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'd say Waldorf has plenty enough "true wavetable" synths and it's time for something else.

It's always time for "something else" by an innovative company like Waldorf, but, as far as I know, their only affordable true wavetable hardware synth that is still in production is Blofeld and it desperately needs a revision.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

Also Audiothingies Micromonsta.
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear
It seems to have patches now..
Old 26th January 2019
Lives for gear

I never thought i would look back in time missing the cheesy demoshows from actual musicians, presenting new gear. They at least had a plan what they wanted to present and auditioned off camera.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search