The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
It sounds a little warmer and fuller than the previous incarnation, but that may just be me. I'm still waiting to hear the 1.0 version to decide if I'm interested.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo View Post
Wow, that has to be one of the worst synth demos I've ever seen!
Old 25th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
Wow, that has to be one of the worst synth demos I've ever seen!
It’s amazing that these people work for synthesizer company’s and don’t seem to have any idea what they are doing.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

I remember that it was supposed to have some FM capability.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperNET View Post
It’s amazing that these people work for synthesizer company’s and don’t seem to have any idea what they are doing.
I feel the same way, but I'm also sympathetic because Korg is just distributing Walforf in the US, and it seems like Waldolf isn't really giving the Korg reps their best effort.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Another unfinished Waldorf product? At least there is a working prototype this time.. They should make a Blofeld 2..
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Seems a bit strange that they don't know the price or expected release date, basic stuff really..
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

I don't get the whole story. An inventor with a mature prototype is looking for a collaboration with a well-established company for production. It appears that the product is delayed for unknown reasons, maybe to avoid a competitive situation with their new flag ship synth. Then the prototype is redesigned because somebody from Waldorf with a strong ego wanted to show how smart he is and that designs must satisfy his self-established rules and personal beliefs Maybe the same applies to the sound.

After all, version 2.0 appears with a crappy layout (the smart ass prevailed) and is justified by people with a hint that the knobs are now further apart, in a time when youngsters type on tiny smart phones with incredible speed, so that using the knobs on the old design would be a simple exercise and the whole design in its compact layout is far away from tiny Roland boutique series. Maybe if the inventor had predicted this, he would have looked somewhere else.

But anyway, the synth is not that ugly that "it cannot sound good". The real deal breaker for me would be if it is not rack-mountable

Last edited by Synthpark; 25th January 2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
Some more cacophony for your listening pleasure

I think Waldorf are a bit afraid about making their own patches.. there was all that hoo-hah about Quantum being sent off to expert patch creators and what not
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some more cacophony for your listening pleasure
sounds a bit like Jeff Mills Detroit techno
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
sounds a bit like Jeff Mills Detroit techno
Yeah! I actually love it starting from 5 minutes 18 secs in!
Cue the kick drum please :D
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think Waldorf are a bit afraid about making their own patches.. there was all that hoo-hah about Quantum being sent off to expert patch creators and what not
which baffles me because one of the first patches (the first?) on the Q - 'Q-rious?' is this amazing filter sweep of such epic spacey electro proportions, it basically sold the synth to me
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head
Terrible demo but I have high hopes for those specs.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
Price?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zawinul View Post
Price?
It was initially supposed to be around 1899 euros if I remember correctly, but then the black dude said it's not settled yet... the launch is pretty weird. As someone has already mentioned, I think it might have something to do with the delayed Quantum launch and they're focused on refining that one before proceeding to developing Kyra properly.

Also, I don't understand all the negative remarks about the presenter, I think he's doing a fine job. Sure, he could've been better perhaps, but he is at least superior to the usual Korg guy in my estimation.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't get the whole story. An inventor with a mature prototype is looking for a collaboration with a well-established company for production. It appears that the product is delayed for unknown reasons, maybe to avoid a competitive situation with their new flag ship synth. Then the prototype is redesigned because somebody from Waldorf with a strong ego wanted to show how smart he is and that designs must satisfy his self-established rules and personal beliefs Maybe the same applies to the sound.

After all, version 2.0 appears with a crappy layout (the smart ass prevailed) and is justified by people with a hint that the knobs are now further apart, in a time when youngsters type on tiny smart phones with incredible speed, so that using the knobs on the old design would be a simple exercise and the whole design in its compact layout is far away from tiny Roland boutique series. Maybe if the inventor had predicted this, he would have looked somewhere else.

But anyway, the synth is not that ugly that "it cannot sound good". The real deal breaker for me would be if it is not rack-mountable
Well that smart ass (with a big ego) has designed the majority of synths released over the past 20 years .
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
He called it k eye ra in the first video and K ear a in this video. How is it supposed to be pronounced?
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Should be "Kee-ruh".
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Well that smart ass (with a big ego) has designed the majority of synths released over the past 20 years .
Draw your own conclusions. Every Korg, Roland Synth, DSI, sure?
Imagine, nobody else could do it! Must be a job only a genius could master ...

Last edited by Synthpark; 25th January 2019 at 03:36 PM..
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Clearly something is fishy when name got changed from Valkyria to Kyria!
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear
"Keera" throws me off, THIS is how I always pronounced it..
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Draw your own conclusions. Every Korg, Roland Synth, DSI, sure?
Imagine, nobody else could do it! Must be a job only a genius could master ...
Alex Hartmann has been involved in designing a multitude of modern synths, namely Waldorf Wave, Microwave, Blofeld, Q (I think), Alesis A6, Access Virus Polar, Moog Little Phatty, Voyager XL, Arturia Minibrute, Hartmann Neuron, the Schmidt... the list goes on and on. He is one of the most renowned synth designers and his experience is undoubtedly immense.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but calling him a smartass is completely gratuitous and downright disrespectful. Alex has evidently taken a slightly different route in the design department, but doesn't necessarily make him a smartass or anything of that sort. If you don't like the product, don't buy it, vote with your wallet and perhaps pay more attention to your music instead of disparaging people on the internet, like your statement was totally uncalled for. Why everything here has to devolve into ad-hominem attacks is beyond me.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
Alex Hartmann
If you're going to rant about showing someone the respect you feel they're due, you might start by spelling their name properly...
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but calling him a smartass is completely gratuitous and downright disrespectful.
I didn't actually automatically mean the designer himself, since he (Axel) as a freelancer was only hired by someone else at Waldorf and not taking such decisions himself, that happened after Waldorf saw the need for a redesign. So you could say: anyone here shouting "ugly!" would behave disrespectful. So I didn't know whom I called the smart ass :D. But on the other hand I do believe that industry is a bit unfair. I believe that there are so many talented industrial designers out there with a good amount of fantasy, modern taste, and sence for practical issues, and the only person coming into question is the one which does it for the last 20 years having the best contacts. So typical ...
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
He called it k eye ra in the first video and K ear a in this video. How is it supposed to be pronounced?
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post
If you're going to rant about showing someone the respect you feel they're due, you might start by spelling their name properly...
Phone autocorrect is a b*tch, sorry about that, but I thank you for your kindness and generosity in correcting other people's spelling mistakes, you're an example to follow. My bad.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I didn't actually automatically mean the designer himself, since he (Axel) as a freelancer was only hired by someone else at Waldorf and not taking such decisions himself, that happened after Waldorf saw the need for a redesign.
Yeah, but even if he wasn't the person who decided to remake the design, he was most likely responsible for the look and the layout of the new Kyra from what I gather, so calling him a smart ass is not classy IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against some good, old banter (gearslutz isn't an ideal place for it though), but calling someone concrete like that in a serious manner is not to my liking. But since your statement wasn't specifically directed at him and was more of a passing remark, that doesn't matter I suppose. It's just these threads so often spiral into turd-flinging and senseless bickering. I'm sick and tired of vitriol and chaotic squabbling found here. I probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place.
Quote:
So you could say: anyone here shouting "ugly!" would behave disrespectful. So I didn't know whom I called the smart ass :D
Not really, call it the most godawful piece of crap, I couldn't care less, that's not ad-hominem attack. I do agree it looks a bit odd, but it isn't like a gigantic travesty. I'm waiting for the keyboard version, so that doesn't really concern me. But I understand you meant no harm and it was more of a casual remark, so I rest my case, let's forget about the whole thing.
Quote:
But on the other hand I do believe that industry is a bit unfair. I believe that there are so many talented industrial designers out there with a good amount of fantasy, modern taste, and sence for practical issues, and the only person coming into question is the one which does it for the last 20 years having the best contacts. So typical ...
Well, that's life for you I suppose.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Old 25th January 2019
Gear Nut
Listen, all great synths have names which are open to pronunciation issues **cough** Moog
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search