The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apessino View Post
No one I talked to knew anything at all, the unit was unattended - will go back in afternoon when they hopefully will have fixed the setup and maybe have someone there to answer questions.
Somehow that is fitting... hehehe

Thanks for the feedback and look forward to any subsequent info!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just spent 20 min trying to get a sound out of it - neither I, not 2 other guys or the Korg rep could even figure out how to browse the presets. It was... surreal.

I will go back later and see if there was something wrong with the unit, cuz that was not a good start to say the least.
Maybe hammer exit a bunch of times and patch on the edit section? And yeah if you could confirm it can fit rack ears that'd put a lot of our minds at ease (and may as well ask about plans for a keyboard version while you're at it)
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just spent 20 min trying to get a sound out of it - neither I, not 2 other guys or the Korg rep could even figure out how to browse the presets. It was... surreal.

I will go back later and see if there was something wrong with the unit, cuz that was not a good start to say the least.
Ha! I didn't think it would be quite that bad!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

From the looks of it I predict its not going to be rack-able...

Strike two in my book...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Had another go, now with a rep - it is NOWHERE near ready, this is just a prototype. They don’t have a date, there are no presets in it (like, it is empty and the guy was making sounds to try to put some stuff in), the final hardware is going to be much higher quality. Looks like they barely got it “ready” for the show.

Couple of sounds I managed to wrangle were nice.

So far , the interface is... not to my liking, but I reserve judgement for when I get more time with it.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head
The teaser image from a few months back looked so beautiful... this, not so much.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Had another go, now with a rep - it is NOWHERE near ready, this is just a prototype. They don’t have a date, there are no presets in it (like, it is empty and the guy was making sounds to try to put some stuff in), the final hardware is going to be much higher quality. Looks like they barely got it “ready” for the show.
Well, that sucks. I had high hopes for the presentation, expecting some cracking sound examples and whatnot. Hopefully, it will be ready for the Musikmesse, although to be fair, we will at least get to know the final spec sheet now.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

So far , the interface is... not to my liking, but I reserve judgement for when I get more time with it.
That sounds a little strange tbh, considering it was pretty much ready (or at least demo-able) before Waldorf took it under their wings (when it was still Exodus Digital Valkyrie). That was almost a year ago.

Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Remember this?

Waldorf Kyra FPGA powered synthesizer to debut at NAMM 2019

Quote:
Waldorf Music CEO Joachim Flor found himself transfixed there. “It was more of a coincidence to have discovered Valkyrie during a tour of this year’s Frankfurt Music Fair, but I was immediately aware of the fact that this was probably one of the most exciting synthesizers of recent years,” he admirably admits. “I got into conversation with its independent UK developer, Manuel Caballero, and I’m now looking forward to working with this talented, innovative individual, who is also a great guy! Under the direction of Waldorf Music, Valkyrie flies forth into a joint production project called Kyra, which will be shown and delivered at NAMM in 2019.
The reality:

Quote:
it is NOWHERE near ready, this is just a prototype.
I wish I could say I'm remotely surprised. Maybe there's hope for 2020.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
That sounds a little strange tbh, considering it was pretty much ready (or at least demo-able) before Waldorf took it under their wings (when it was still Exodus Digital Valkyrie). That was almost a year ago.

Well, there is an extra suboscillator from what I've seen in the photos, so I guess they might've expanded the engine beyond what we saw earlier. Perhaps @apessino may elaborate on how much new stuff has been added.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thank you! I was hanging on the edge of me seat seems like I'm developing an obsession with synth..

I can relax now haha..
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Sigh. How hard would it have been for them to tweak the form factor a little and leave the insides and firmware the same. Manuel had a finished product to show. If Waldorf truly were transfixed by what they saw they should have just helped him carry the product over the finish line. Is this going to drag out like the Quantum now? I thought they might have learned something from that debacle.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Sigh. How hard would it have been for them to tweak the form factor a little and leave the insides and firmware the same. Manuel had a finished product to show. If Waldorf truly were transfixed by what they saw they should have just helped him carry the product over the finish line. Is this going to drag out like the Quantum now? I thought they might have learned something from that debacle.
Yeah... it sure seemed like a finished product.

It is disappointing that there is not even a timeline at this point and it is a barely working prototype. That means it is unlikely to be shipping this year.

Alas, nothing to see here for a long time
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Well in support of Waldorf maybe they are working on making it bug free-ish?

IMO it should be able to be put in a 19' rack the oddball sizes of OB-6/Pro-6 etc. are unprofessional & unacceptable..

Hopefully more info is on the way..
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
Hopefully some decent interviewer will ask "so, what happened, it was almost ready 8 months ago", as it's a quite an unexpected outcome
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Was the Waldorf STVC anywhere to be found on the show floor?

Asking for a friend.
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by draig View Post
Yeah... it sure seemed like a finished product.
That was definitely the impression given, but technology projects have a habit of looking almost done when you’re really only halfway there. Who knows what the MIDI spec looked like? Or whether the hardware conformed to global consumer safety requirements? Or how stable it would be if you really pushed it?

Quote:
It is disappointing that there is not even a timeline at this point and it is a barely working prototype. That means it is unlikely to be shipping this year.
At this point it’s a complete unknown. The one thing I’m sure of is that Waldorf doesn’t have a clue what they’re doing when it comes to expectations management. Showing off a beautiful peek at what ultimately is only a modest and inconsistent improvement on the original design, plus suggesting that it would be ready for market when it’s not even close? Poor showing all around.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
My guess is the Waldorf's take was always that they would finish up Kyra as soon as Quantum -- their flagship -- was done, and that the Quantum took way longer than they planned for.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
Sigh. How hard would it have been for them to tweak the form factor a little and leave the insides and firmware the same. Manuel had a finished product to show.
I'm wondering what the insides looked like, however.

Quote:
If Waldorf truly were transfixed by what they saw they should have just helped him carry the product over the finish line. Is this going to drag out like the Quantum now? I thought they might have learned something from that debacle.
The Waldorf concept of "SOON" dates back 20 years, first encountered on their mailing list
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs View Post
Was the Waldorf STVC anywhere to be found on the show floor?

Asking for a friend.
that thing is vaporware
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
bug free-ish
Oh man... that made me laugh! Thanks!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by S h a w View Post
Oh man... that made me laugh! Thanks!
Well, Quantum is apparently pretty bug-free from what I've read, definitely way more polished than any of their earlier products.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13 View Post
Well, Quantum is apparently pretty bug-free from what I've read, definitely way more polished than any of their earlier products.
I could not call it bug free, but it is great and they have killed some bugs and added some new features in the last 6 months, with more still to do. And everyone is happy today because the version 2 of the Quantum firmware that is in development (and at NAMM I believe) was announced and it has new features that are not trivial.

Right now it is more polished in some areas than others, and although a couple of specific bugs will annoy some people, its mostly been omissions and 'I wish it had' stuff that has been talked about, after the initial and prolonged 'where the hell is supply of this synth' upset started to go away in europe, some other parts of the world and then finally in the USA recently.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Yeah, I mean their new line of synths seems to be pretty well coded for the most part, no outrageous bugs and things of that nature, it's not like the debacle which is what the initial release of Blofeld was, they've seemingly learned from their past mistakes and chosen to act according to their customers demands which is why I remain cautiously optimistic. Kyra is bound to come sooner or later, but its firmware is likely to be pretty well-rounded at the day of its official release.
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

It did make some noise in that video by the way, not a lot but some.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

better than nothing. thanks for the video Steve
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Head

"Delivered to the show with zero patches".

There's 3 days left to put your best foot forward. If I were Waldorf I would find someone pay them to pull an all-nighter and put some patches on this thing.

I would purchase this thing on the spot if I could see just some incremental progress over last year. A new paint job alone isn't going to cut it.

I'm having STVC flashbacks.
Old 25th January 2019
Gear Maniac

It does look strange.
btw if my memory serves me well Quantum had bad quite boring presets when Waldorf first presented it. Maybe perfectionism is the case and they want to come up with something stellar! We can only guess why the synth has zero presets onboard and ‘demo man created 2 patches’
Old 25th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
He said it's coming soon

Odd I don't see any Waldorf branding..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search