The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 24th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Black on blue is a really bad choice, yeah. Could Axel Hartmann be going blind? :/
Or the printing process wound up giving them a much more intense blue than expected, too late in the game to change what they’re showing. After all, the teaser shots were also black on blue but with a much lighter blue it wasn’t nearly as bad.

If that’s the case, there’s no way it’s in production because they have to be tweaking things like that. I’m not wild about the yellowish cast or the lighter wood, either, but we should get some official shots with proper white balance under decent lighting and hopefully a lot more details on the sonic capabilities of the beast.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
Looks like something you'd see in a hospital, as you're being given some very bad news. :-/
spot on!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Why no encoders like on Q?
Sweetlord...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Here's a free tip for Waldorf:

All keyboard controllers have Octave buttons. It's not needed on a module, and the space can instead be used to enrich the actual synth UI.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Here's a free tip for Waldorf:

All keyboard controllers have Octave buttons. It's not needed on a module, and the space can instead be used to enrich the actual synth UI.
That is truly boggling. If they wanted to do something silly, they could've put, in the octave buttons' place, a mod-wheel or ribbon routed to any shift parameter, so it could at least become a USEFUL oddity. Though I kind of like the illogic of it; it's funny actually.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

well, yeah, so much Blofeldish look of Kyra is disappointing. It hasn't got any better than almost year ago on music messe. This definitely doesn't look like premium synth for which you would like to pay something just below 2K
Old 24th January 2019
Ufff, this really looks like a piece of medical equipment
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

GAS completely gone.. This looks horrible way too clinical & sterile.

Waldorf have managed to kill all the personality the Valkyrie had, what a shame.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

It seems to keep the modular enclosure concept. Maybe keyboard is accessory.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post

Waldorf have managed to kill all the personality the Valkyrie had, what a shame.

Maybe Heinakroon will create something neat like he did for the Neutron
Behringer Neutron! Semi modular
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I dont care what it looks like if its got the accuracy, presence & modulation rates of my other FPGA synths, but its virus-y, it could sound stellar

gearslutz fashion police in effect
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Must be a lot going on under the hood in this.
Old 24th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post

It's funny how the way something (that's purpose is to make sound) looks can be so important.

I don't mind the look but it is very clinical, hospital equipment is a great description.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I don't mind the look
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillyoung View Post
It's funny how the way something (that's purpose is to make sound) looks can be so important.

I don't mind the look but it is very clinical, hospital equipment is a great description.
Agree. While the Virus TI2 Darkstar has a cool name, it really doesn't appeal to me aesthetically, but it's very valuable for what I do, so it stays in the mix.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

I think it looks pretty!

And I also love diving.

I wonder, what effect has this past year and the collaboration with Waldorf have to its inner beauty, and features.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Looks like a love-child from a Virus Polar and an Akai S1000. I dig it!

/C
Old 24th January 2019
Yes, I like it too.
The looks of Arturia Origin and Tasty Chips GR-1 (and even Modor NF-1, although that's a lot weirder) come to mind.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Maniac

well....id say theres something futuristic in the design. kyra looks like something that would might appear in blade runner 2049
not sure i like the layout though...need to hear what waldorf has brought to the table to have an overall opinion
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Frankly, I see a lot of controls I want to control! And I agree, has some of the Arturia Origin meets Virus Polar look.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Addict

Looking good. Show us what cha got Kyra!
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Looking at it again, I don't mind the colours or look of it. Quite a big lump to house in a studio or rack, about 6 Blofelds worth? The layout is still odd. I can't see any encoders on it, hence all the up/down/left/right buttons. Might be a conscious decision to avoid them, they do seem to go bad on many of these synths. It's a lot more spread out than the original design.

Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah the original design had the knobs fairly close to each other... I'd say it could definitely become an issue, especially for people with stubby fingers...
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Looking at it again, I don't mind the colours or look of it. Quite a big lump to house in a studio or rack, about 6 Blofelds worth? The layout is still odd. I can't see any encoders on it, hence all the up/down/left/right buttons. Might be a conscious decision to avoid them, they do seem to go bad on many of these synths. It's a lot more spread out than the original design.

the old design simply looks much better, the new one has an Akai-medical appeal.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

It was probably a conscious decision to look less Virusey. I think it should be tweaked further, but I could sure live with either layout.

So... NAMM about open?
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
the old design simply looks much better, the new one has an Akai-medical appeal.
I kinda disagree. The old design WOULD be a bitch to use due to knobs being so close together, for sure.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

It's ugly as ****.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Over the years, I've grown to hate this design approach to deep synthesis. Buttons to get to edit menus and then so many extra pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I can't see any encoders on it, hence all the up/down/left/right buttons. Might be a conscious decision to avoid them, they do seem to go bad on many of these synths.
You'd hope that Waldorf's engineers know how to use Google and have found the user mods that fix skippy encoders on the Blofeld.

(If you're reading this, chaps, a couple of 470pF caps per encoder does the job; super cheap as SMT parts.)
Old 24th January 2019
come on it's not that bad! I understand the complaints but I think it looks ok, and the fact that within it is probably the most exciting VA to come on the market for a decade makes it look amazing...
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Head

I think those black and blue “labels” are actually LED scribble strips.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search