The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th December 2018
Lives for gear

This one still intrigues me even with the lame name change. Hopefully it won't have the epic fail release like the Quantum.

I was impressed by the demos, we'll see I'm currently on a no buy restriction ... Fingers crossed for Waldorf.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Well, i hope Waldorf will change those damn pots to encoders with led-rings, like we saw on Nord Lead 3 and Nord Modular...
impossible to work with a lot of voices and having those damn "pickup"-mode pots... it is 2018 coming to end, why damn pots?
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Probably because they're cheaper than encoders with LED rings?
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear
Can the Virus TI stand a chance?
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Well, i hope Waldorf will change those damn pots to encoders with led-rings, like we saw on Nord Lead 3 and Nord Modular...
impossible to work with a lot of voices and having those damn "pickup"-mode pots... it is 2018 coming to end, why damn pots?
Yeah, this has always been an issue for me as well. I’ll often have a software editor running, just so I have a visual of what’s going on.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Can the Virus TI stand a chance?
I don't understand the ground to a halt in developments and releases in this company , it's leaving the door wide open for Waldorf to leap ahead unless Virus are planning , I'm not going to hold my breath .
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
I don't understand the ground to a halt in developments and releases in this company , it's leaving the door wide open for Waldorf to leap ahead unless Virus are planning , I'm not going to hold my breath .
They make modeling guitar amps now.
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Nut
Sounds like financially limited and sticking with budget builds

They may spring back , a least their still floating
Old 30th December 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIFEPASS4 View Post
Sounds like financially limited and sticking with budget builds

They may spring back , a least their still floating
Mr. Kemper said last superbooth they still are interested in keyboards...
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Probably because they're cheaper than encoders with LED rings?
Behringer BCR2k is pretty cheap...and midi fighter twister?..
Anyway, cheaper is ok, but i’ll pay 500 more for encoders.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
I don't know, but my reaction is, why aren't synths moving more readily in this direction?
Gearslutz spoke "Analog!!! Analog!!! Cheap!!! Cheap!!!" and we got it by the ton.

Be careful what you wish for.
Old 30th December 2018
Lives for gear
We are back to talking about the Virus again?

I noticed the Modor NF-1 uses the same buttons as the Modal 002.. which should I throw out!??
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Any news on the Kyra?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Maniac

6 days
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by satatek View Post
6 days
That'd be great, but Waldorf usually announces new stuff at Musikmesse. Do we have any hint that the Waldorf representation at NAMM will be more than last year, where distributor Korg was just also displaying Waldorf at their booth?
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
That'd be great, but Waldorf usually announces new stuff at Musikmesse. Do we have any hint that the Waldorf representation at NAMM will be more than last year, where distributor Korg was just also displaying Waldorf at their booth?
Waldorf Kyra FPGA powered synthesizer to debut at NAMM 2019

Quote:
Kyra is scheduled for full production launch at the 2019 NAMM Show, January 24th-27th, in Anaheim, California. It is priced at 1,899 EUR as a desktop/rackmount model, with a keyboard version to follow later in 2019.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

NICE!

Although that statement was from June.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
NICE!

Although that statement was from June.
I'm cautiously optimistic that they'll have something to show. The Valkyrie seemed to be in a fairly finished state when it was shown at Messe. What I'm really curious about is what, if any, features Waldorf has added to this product. I'm also looking forward to seeing the final industrial design for the Kyra, especially the keyboard version. Will it have more controls compared to that of the desktop version, or will it be like more like Virus in that all versions have the same UI?
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Looks nothing like the proof of concept...

The "new design" looks like something from the 1980s - a commodore or older Roland Drummachine. Strangely cool, but the black text on blue labels are a real design boo-boo. The flow of the interface is a bit weird too.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

That Blofeld below it also looks strangely yellowish, so I'm gonna say that lighting and camera flash probably impacted the colors quite some.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solapse View Post
The flow of the interface is a bit weird too.
It's kind of plugin-y, I like it. I'm waiting for the keyboard version, but this looks dope.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Looks like something you'd see in a hospital, as you're being given some very bad news. :-/
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’m sure in a rave context when you’re on MDMA, it’s awesome,.
maybe if you're 16 and/or just really dense... Otherwise the drugs don't really help there, and often make it worse (eg. "can't find the way out of the dancefloor to escape this horror!")

Electronic dance music is more than EDM and the crap you'll hear in commercial trash club events or arenas. Things have evolved and branched out significantly since the early days. But if pounding electronic beats are just not your thing, it won't sound much different.

Wow . The Kyra has an actual modern-day hi res display on there. Maybe we are in 2019 after all.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
Looks like quite a bit of menu diving - LFO fade, many additional LFO assignments probably buried within the mod matrix selector trigger.

Not sure I'm too enthralled with multi-function knobs - far too easy to move the primary function whilst holding down some sort of shift key (which I can't glean yet) to set the secondary function. I'm hoping the menu choice select if secondary functions are active rather than a keydown press on a shift button.

But then... if it's a true heir to the Virus, we MUST have menu diving!
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut

Lot whiter here.
Old 24th January 2019
Gear Nut
Has the concept art wood cheek ends

Old 24th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Looks like quite a bit of menu diving - LFO fade, many additional LFO assignments probably buried within the mod matrix selector trigger.

Not sure I'm too enthralled with multi-function knobs - far too easy to move the primary function whilst holding down some sort of shift key (which I can't glean yet) to set the secondary function. I'm hoping the menu choice select if secondary functions are active rather than a keydown press on a shift button.

But then... if it's a true heir to the Virus, we MUST have menu diving!
No offense, but how could any full featured digital synth not have some menus? It can be done well, or done poorly. I never thought my Virus C was done that well.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

I don't mind some menu diving at all as long as:

a) the UX is well designed and does not combine menus with secondary key presses or other hidden actions, and

b) there is a screen to give proper feedback

I think the Peak is a perfect example of this, so many options for waveforms and modulation, it would have been impossible not to have some menus - yet overall it is wonderful to program (doubly so after the 1.2 update).

Hope the Kyra feels the same way. Either way, I'd be shocked if I don't end up buying one. Concept is very intriguing.
Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The flow of the interface is a bit weird too.
Yup.

At the top left, there's four left/right button pairs, with some sort of dual function hints on the panel. No chance of confusion or pressing the wrong one there eh!

More up/down buttons around the screen. These look slightly clearer in purpose.

Black on blue labels, as mentioned above. What the hell?!

Effects get an old-fashioned Waldorf matrix interface. Looks like a great opportunity for error-twiddling.

Full controls for the envelopes would have been nice, it's a fairly big expensive synth and there is the panel space.

Other sections like the LFOs and Mod Matrix look very minimal whereas the sub osc get a load of space and buttons. Quite a few second layer params on many knobs. Do they need a shift button held down? If so, you'd need a third hand to actually play the keyboard. Edit: there's a "Shift lock" button.

Agree with appessino, Novation seem to do a better job of these interfaces. The Kyra looks like something a designer would look at after a good night's sleep and shout out "doh!".

Old 24th January 2019
Lives for gear

Black on blue is a really bad choice, yeah. Could Axel Hartmann be going blind? :/

On the other hand, the button is not called Shift, but Shift Lock, which implies you don't have to have it hold pressed to do the secondary function. Which is actually quite good, I'd say.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search