The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is delicious news - great work on Waldorf's part.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is great, looks like it's getting an Hartmann design too.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Really amazing that this is happening. Looks like I'll be getting a new VA next year!

From the article: " As an extremely powerful VA (Virtual Analogue) synthesizer literally like nothing else out there — thanks to leveraging the latest FPGA technology to significantly outperform legacy DSP (Digital Signal Processing) powered competition, Kyra’s crowning glory comes courtesy of its state-of-the-art audio quality: think 32x oversampled hardware with dual wavetables providing over 4,000 waveshapes! With 10 oscillators — that can be doubled to 20 by using two voices — each offering a wide range of features, including true stereo operation, hard sync, FM (Frequency Modulation), and ring modulation, Kyra starts shaping up as a serious sonic force to be reckoned with… without even factoring filtering into an already seriously impressive-sounding instrument! Indeed, Kyra’s resonant filters are accurate oversampled emulations of classic analogue ladder filters with 2- and 4-pole configurations (offering -12dB/oct and -24dB/oct of magnitude decrease, respectively). Saying that, two linked or independent filters can be used in Dual Voice mode, making for even more creative options. On top of that, there are three envelope generators, three stereo LFOs (Low Frequency Oscillators) with 64 shapes and MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) clock sync, an arpeggiator, full keyboard microtuning, and true polyphonic portamento, as well as a comprehensive 18-channel modulation matrix to Kyra’s notable name.

Notably, Kyra comes highly specified for effects, each of its eight parts featuring a three-band EQ with sweepable mid, dual tube limiters, formant filter, distortion, six-stage phaser, stereo digital delay, comb/flanger/chorus/doubler unit, and a programmable reverb. All effects units on all parts can be used simultaneously and run at Kyra’s native 96kHz sample rate.

Kyra clearly delivers when it comes to connectivity by boasting four assignable, balanced 32-bit/96kHz stereo outputs, a headphone output, low-latency DIN MIDI, a fully class-compliant USB2 implementation for MIDI, and a stereo 24-bit/96kHz audio stream for each of its eight parts. Production-wise, there is also a USB (Universal Serial Bus) audio return feature, so Kyra can render final DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) audio under ASIO (Audio Stream Input/Output). An ASIO driver is provided for Windows users while Mac support is out of the box.

But if any aspects of this impressive instrument already have a ring of familiarity about them then Musikmesse 2018 in Frankfurt am Main may have played its part. Put it this way: Waldorf Music CEO Joachim Flor found himself transfixed there. “It was more of a coincidence to have discovered Valkyrie during a tour of this year’s Frankfurt Music Fair, but I was immediately aware of the fact that this was probably one of the most exciting synthesizers of recent years,” he admirably admits. “I got into conversation with its independent UK developer, Manuel Caballero, and I’m now looking forward to working with this talented, innovative individual, who is also a great guy! Under the direction of Waldorf Music, Valkyrie flies forth into a joint production project called Kyra, which will be shown and delivered at NAMM in 2019.”

Fortunately for Manuel Caballero, the feeling was clearly mutual — Musikmesse mission accomplished. “After nearly four years in the making, I went to Musikmesse with the intention of finding an established partner for Valkyrie,” he reveals. “There’s little doubt that Valkyrie’s reveal at Musikmesse caused quite a stir in the synthesizer world and I had set the bar high for potential partners to bring the instrument to market. As a result of this, I’m pleased to announce a partnership with Waldorf Music. Few companies can match their track record of innovation and delivery spanning several decades. Working with Joachim Flor and his technical and design team to achieve this is an exciting and efficient partnership as we work together to launch the instrument at NAMM in 2019. Waldorf’s proven heritage in product design, manufacturing, and distribution leaves me to do what I do best, which is applying the most advanced technologies to the art of music, and I look forward to a continued deep working relationship with the Waldorf team.”

Kyra is scheduled for full production launch at the 2019 NAMM Show, January 24th-27th, in Anaheim, California. It is priced at 1,899 EUR as a desktop/rackmount model, with a keyboard version to follow later in 2019."
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
This is great, looks like it's getting an Hartmann design too.
I really liked the look of the Valkyrie but I love the look of the new design. How about you?
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Knoch View Post
I really liked the look of the Valkyrie but I love the look of the new design. How about you?
I much prefer the new look, or at least the part we can see

I like what Hartmann does with Waldorf in general.

Comparing with the earlier pics, they seem to have reworked the interface and moved the controls around. The blank space that was above and below appears gone too. I wonder if the idea of this being a sort of audio platform with different front interfaces remains

Anyway, they're probably going to put the Waldorf wavetables in there.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

So, is the Valkyrie synth as it was announced still going to be released? Or has it turned into the Kyra slated for release next year?
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, well indeed. And at the botom of that article...

"Kyra is initially scheduled for full production launch at The 2019 NAMM Show, January 24-27, in Anaheim, California, competitively priced at €1,899.00 EUR as a desktop/rackmount model (with a keyboard version to follow later in 2019)."

curiouser and curiouser...
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Well if Access won't do it and keep charging a premium for the Ti2 I'd say hell yes.
On my radar for sure.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

They had me at rackmount ..
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Wow! I am really interested in this! If Waldorf can make it sound a little fatter (Analog) I am going to buy it!
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Is it weird that I often like VA more than A?
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

No, it's not weird. Oftentimes you can do a lot more with VA than you can with A. It's a tool, gotta use it!
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Interesting news - now certainly for Waldorf there is no need to invest in new Blofeld or Stromberg.... meanwhile Valkyrie project transformed from "well below 2K" to "just below 2K" ... but I'm pretty sure I like Axel/Waldorf touch... should bring some functional improvements too... future suddenly looks more exciting!
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Great news !!! I'm going to miss the mystical Valkyrie name Kyra just doesn't sound as good. On the up side a partnership with Waldorf is wonderful & its going to be released as a desktop/rackmount first!!
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvti View Post
Interesting news - now certainly for Waldorf there is no need to invest in new Blofeld or Stromberg....
Blofeld is the end (and peak) of the Microwave era of Waldorf.

Quantum is Stromberg. Never liked that particular name anyways.

Kyra is going to be the new top VA, "replacing" the Q's.
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
Great news !!! I'm going to miss the mystical Valkyrie name Kyra just doesn't sound as good. On the up side a partnership with Waldorf is wonderful & its going to be released as a desktop/rackmount first!!
We should just be glad they didn't name it Kananga, or Samedi, or even Oddjob. Though I quite like having a synth to do the Oddjobs
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm going to miss the mystical Valkyrie name Kyra just doesn't sound as good.
To me it sounds better actually. And I liked Valkyrie too.
Old 8th June 2018
What a pleasant surprise. I love the new industrial design, and I've had a soft spot for the creator since I first started seeing interviews at Musikmesse. Nicely done, and a match that looks perfect for launching a product like this.

Now the important question: do I have a space for it?
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Looks like I'm gonna sell my Virus TI!
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
I'm going to miss the mystical Valkyrie name Kyra just doesn't sound as good
It's WALdorf KYRA, wal-kyra, so it's still pretty much there. I'm pretty sure they just realized that "Waldorf Valkyrie" does not sound good ("wal"/"val").
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Waldorf Valkyrie sounds epic, Waldorf Kyra sounds boring.

Maybe a thread title change is in order?
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Doesn't sound boring at all. I always found Kyra a pretty sexy female name for some reason.
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Head
The look of it kind of reminds me of the design style of the 80s, with a modern slant to it. Maybe it's those shallow rectangular buttons that remind me of the Juno.

I do love what I see in that one photo though, can't wait to see more of it!
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Waldorf Valkyrie sounds epic, Waldorf Kyra sounds boring.
I´m not sure yet if i consider the Wal(dorf)Kyra name change to be clever or annoying...
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Well, that's completely killed my interest in it.

My past experiences with Waldorf - dodgy hardware, bug-ridden software and zero customer support - had me saying "Never again". And their apparent inability to produce the Quantum in any significant numbers plus the continued absence of the STVC mean I can only laugh at the claim of "scheduled for full production launch at the 2019 NAMM Show".

I was seriously interested...
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
Looks like I'm gonna sell my Virus TI!
Hah, I'm going to clear out most of my studio gear ahead of this and keep to the Peak and the Kyra I think. Seems like it'll be at least as versatile as the Virus and that was my next port of call.
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

From the mentioned article:
Quote:
Kyra is scheduled for full production launch at the 2019 NAMM Show, January 24th-27th, in Anaheim, California. It is priced at 1,899 EUR as a desktop/rackmount model, with a keyboard version to follow later in 2019.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

So does this mean that the valkyrie developer , mr .Cabelloro is now part of the waldorf team ?
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

From what I understood the Valkyrie was all set to go OS finished hardware done ready to go into production..

I think Waldorf are just putting their name on it and facilitating the process.

I don't think there are messing with the OS or re doing anything, as far as the release date we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanC3 View Post
Well, that's completely killed my interest in it.

My past experiences with Waldorf - dodgy hardware, bug-ridden software and zero customer support - had me saying "Never again". And their apparent inability to produce the Quantum in any significant numbers plus the continued absence of the STVC mean I can only laugh at the claim of "scheduled for full production launch at the 2019 NAMM Show".

I was seriously interested...
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
From what I understood the Valkyrie was all set to go OS finished hardware done ready to go into production..

I think Waldorf are just putting their name on it and facilitating the process.

I don't think there are messing with the OS or re doing anything, as far as the release date we will see.
I think there certainly are some revisions planned... at least because the panel is redesigned - that may explain why availability shifted from Q3 (if I remember correctly) to 2019.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search