The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie) Desktop Synthesizers
Old 24th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I feel bad for the developer. Clearly he's made something that's high quality and he's stocked it full of the types of sounds that he likes, but I fear that GearSlutz isn't in sync with that style of sound design. On the other hand, maybe the majority of the world is looking for exactly that type of sound. I suspect that when Nick gets it into his secret lair and puts it though its paces, we'll have a better idea about its overall character.
Perhaps the problem is hes listening to much to GZ and not to his inner voice? I think he has done a splendid job, it's tons of work to design a DSP on a FPGA and write the whole system ware not only for the (simplified) DSP but also all firmware for the ARMs and USB ware, and effects and, and, and....and, aaaannndd etc making the whole "shaise" work all by him self. Yet i wont buy it not
because GZ is saying it look to much like a bosted up Virus rather because it does not do 16 part multi with dynamic effect allocation.

Why is everyone referring to a bald headed bat?
Old 24th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I fear that GearSlutz isn't in sync with that style of sound design.
Name one synth that GearSlutz is uniformly in sync with. We’re pretty all over the place when it comes to our individual wants and needs, and I think that’s generally healthy. I suspect there’s a sizable market for the Valkyrie if it can find volume production and distribution.
Old 24th April 2018
Gear Maniac

People who compare this synth to the Access Virus don't only listen with their eyes, they also think with their eyes.
Old 25th April 2018
Deleted ca98332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kleinert View Post
People who compare this synth to the Access Virus don't only listen with their eyes, they also think with their eyes.
finally, this thread has made the complete transition to an ear penis contest. surprised it took this long!
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Name one synth that GearSlutz is uniformly in sync with. We’re pretty all over the place when it comes to our individual wants and needs, and I think that’s generally healthy. I suspect there’s a sizable market for the Valkyrie if it can find volume production and distribution.
I didn’t mean that, I mean that we as a group tend to go for more experimental types of sounds and less for basic trance stabs and plucks. Maybe my bias makes me see it that way, but it seems like it.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ca98332 View Post
finally, this thread has made the complete transition to an ear penis contest. surprised it took this long!
Some people can't read either.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

I think these patches were very good and the presentations the developer gave were excellent.

We will see if it holds itself in the market when the final price is announced and deals with shops can be made.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
because GZ is saying it look to much like a bosted up Virus rather because it does not do 16 part multi with dynamic effect allocation.
Dynamic FX allocation sucks. Having separate FX per part is the shiz.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I totally absolutely concur to your statment!
However i was reasoning out of what he said in the bald bat video about resource constraints(ARM making the effects).
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

But he DID say that each part gets the whole suite of effects, separately? Or am I missing what you're trying to say here
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ca98332 View Post
Soo...,., what penis do you use to make music with then?
Old 25th April 2018
Quote:
This may be as much as I've ever disagreed with you. The usual problem with dynamic allocation is that resources are so scarce there is no way to configure meaningful per-part effects. Presuming you have enough horsepower to be able to have a decent per-part configuration, I'd prefer a flexible dynamic scheme every time.
Old 25th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
Why is everyone referring to a bald headed bat?
Because Nick's a master at digging into a new synth and speaking plainly as to its pros and cons and illustrating its character. He's charismatic but also no-nonsense. His sense and skill at sound design is very good, IMO. He took the piss-poor Peak presets and tossed them right out and made his own really nice demo out of custom patches. He can also play. I don't need virtuosity, but I do cringe when I hear someone fumbling around on the keyboard during a presentation, like the Valkyrie's developer does.

So, that's why. He's one of the guys who's become the "gold standard" of synth presentation/review videos.

As for me, I'm cautiously optimistic about the Valkyrie. It certainly sounds good, but so far, to me, it sounded kind of like a high quality Virus C. Now, I don't know if it actually has a similar character as the C or the sound design of the patches was just similar to the types of sounds the Virus C is known for. Anyway, I'm just not interested in a high quality Virus C. At the moment I'm really into hybrid synths and even though it was totally digital, if the sound was right and it could scan though a wavetable like a Waldorf or TI, I'd have probably reserved my budget to see what it could do. I ended up going for a 002r, which I'm really excited about.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This may be as much as I've ever disagreed with you. The usual problem with dynamic allocation is that resources are so scarce there is no way to configure meaningful per-part effects. Presuming you have enough horsepower to be able to have a decent per-part configuration, I'd prefer a flexible dynamic scheme every time.
Wait... are we talking here about the fixed FX order that Valkyrie has? Yeah I don't like that either. But as far as having those same 9 effects on each of the parts, without worrying about how to manage FX units or whatnot, to me that's a blessing rather than a curse!

Of course, it would make even more sense to have additional global effects (i.e. patches sharing the same reverb/delay via sends etc.), but oh well.
Old 25th April 2018
Quote:
Wait... are we talking here about the fixed FX order that Valkyrie has?
No, although that’s not ideal, either. We’re definitely on the same page there!

Quote:
But as far as having those same 9 effects on each of the parts, without worrying about how to manage FX units or whatnot, to me that's a blessing rather than a curse!
The problem with most gear is that you don’t have the horsepower to achieve that at all. I’d much rather have the ability to assign a really long delay line to one part rather than have a shorter maximum on every part. I want to be able to go nuts with the effects on a single part beyond the fixed allocation: one part may need nothing more than a subtle chorus, while another might call for delays feeding into delays with amp simulations or other exotic special-purpose effects.

For that matter, I enjoy being able to assign effects on a per-layer basis within a part. That starts to get really impractical with fixed allocation unless your effects are limited to something really basic like EQ.

Quote:
Of course, it would make even more sense to have additional global effects (i.e. patches sharing the same reverb/delay via sends etc.), but oh well.
Indeed. When you want multiple instruments to occupy the same “space” it seems wasteful to have to duplicate the same reverb algorithm on each part. I’d rather put that extra computational muscle and delay line memory to use elsewhere.
Old 25th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem with most gear is that you don’t have the horsepower to achieve that at all. I’d much rather have the ability to assign a really long delay line to one part rather than have a shorter maximum on every part.
Buuuuut, in Valkyrie all 8 parts have EXACTLY the same delay effect, each with equally possible delay times? The only thing that could be possibly improved here is allowing us to reorder the FX per part. That alone would be a huge boon.
Old 25th April 2018
Quote:
Buuuuut, in Valkyrie all 8 parts have EXACTLY the same delay effect, each with equally possible delay times?
That’s pretty much my point. If I don’t need delay on seven of my eight parts then I can still only use 1/8th of the total delay line memory. On the positive side, you can always dial up any combination of eight parts and not have to worry about it. On the negative side, each of the parts gets the same fixed subset of system resources. I’m sure it makes it much easier to do patch changes without disrupting effects so long as you’re doing it with a part that doesn’t have a reverb tail going.

I’m not wild about synths whose splits have fixed voice allocation, either, which sounds like it might be the case here. At least 32 per part is a lot better than those that wind up with 4 or 8. I’m just a dynamic gal at heart.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Old 1st May 2018
Here for the gear

Hi all,

Here is my 5 cents to it, a copy of my post under Youtube video why Valkyrie makes total sense these days:

#########################################################

YouTube

Indeed there is confusion with terminology because new layer is introduced that is not so known to public. And to clear some confusion I think he should use term GATEWARE when he is talking about FPGA part of implementation.

So in these days then we have:

HARDWARE - this is physical stuff you can actually hold in your hand, your circuit board. In regards to synth field this means that circuit can be analog or digital.
Analog is when it does not need to be programed to produce sound. And by that I mean some bit file does not need to be loaded to some chip for it to function as oscillator, filter or maybe effects. I mean you do not have to flash Minimoog to play on it.
And if you look at the circiuit you can see the group of components that work as oscillators, then another group as filters, etc.

Digital is when there is some programable chip (like DSP, FPGA, AMD/INTEL) on it in which sound algorithm is executed. Example: you open up your Blofeld, Microwave II or AN1X, there is just small board with DSP chip and some other processor and that is it. And if DSP is not loaded/programmed you will not get any sound. Same goes for your PC/MAC.

And digital means that you are not dealing with voltages/currents as analog to sound, but with crunching numbers in some algorithm. Then the question is only how fast can number crunching be or how many calculations can be done in parallel in relation to algorithm complexitly, sample rate, polyphony, latency. And we want more of each and less of latency
On the other hand if you would have sample rate 1 sample per day, then you could solve your algorithm from your digital synth with pencil and paper and you would get exactly the same result.

GATEWARE - if FPGA/CPLD is on the board then you need to configure the available logic in the chip somehow. These days this is mostly done or coded in Verilog/VHDL. And yes this means that this is "Digital Signal Processing" - number crunching. Main point of using FPGA here is that you can have a lot of actual parallelism and that your circiuit is actuall spread in space inside FPGA and in this way it is kind of similar to analog circuit. While on your processors (DSP or your regular AMD/INTEL) there is mostly shufling of the data between memory and processor.

FIRMWARE - if board has processor on it (maybe softcore in FPGA, some DSP or ARM) then it is most likely programmed in C/C++, maybe using some real-time OS or trimmed version of Linux (Kronos or Harman Neuron). In case of Valkyrie this would then relate to effects code running on ARM cores.

SOFTWARE - something running on PC above OS like Windows, Mac OS or Linux and programmed in whatever. In Valkyrie case this would be the editor.

##########################################################

The point here is that when you go digital (number crunching) it is a question of or compromise of:
- price of hardware vs.
- development effort (cost of skilled engineers, licenses for sw tools, simplicity of fixing bugs, adding new features, ...) vs.
- performance (polyphony, latency, algorithm complexity, sample rate, ...) vs.
- electrical power (heat) vs.
Why not high-end x86? | Sand, software and sound

So, in the 90's, when Motorola 56k DSP came out that made sense for Nord, Waldorf, Access, Korg,... to build synths with this chips. At that time using FPGAs did not make any sense at all because they were too expensive and did not provide power needed.

But these days the scene is different. Xilinx/Altera are putting out chips with FPGA/ARM combinations and some third party companies are putting out FPGA boards that are just simply irresistible, for example:
Trenz Electronic SoC Module mit Xilinx Zynq | Trenz Electronic Online Shop (EN)

I work with FPGAs on daily basis and this is just insane (whole board cheaper that FPGA/SoC). I would even dare to suggest that maybe one of these Trenz boards are in Valkyire?

In any case I think the SoC FPGAs are the future for synths that you can hold in your arms
Old 2nd May 2018
Lives for gear

Here's a diagram, taken from the video above, that may answer a few questions:

Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie)-valkyrie_diagram.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Waldorf Kyra FPGA Rack/Desktop Coming to NAMM 2019 (originally Exodus Valkyrie)-valkyrie_diagram.jpg  
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Nut
Exodus Valkyrie's official website (i.e. the Soundcloud page) has been updated with the following:

"Valkyrie is getting ready for production! Keep an eye out for an important announcement coming very soon about exciting new plans for the synth !"
Old 8th May 2018
Gear Addict

Old 8th May 2018
Gear Nut

this is the new synth i'm most excited about out of all the current players
Old 9th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Kennedy View Post
this is the new synth i'm most excited about out of all the current players
Me too.
Old 21st May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
this is the new synth i'm most excited about out of all
+1 ...since quite some years, let alone this One seems is going to be really accessible.
Old 7th June 2018
Gear Nut

Was just reminded of this synth. This mock-up is definitely the most sexiful.

Different beast from the Valkyrie, but the Waldorf Quantum thread on here is a manifestation of human weakness: if something has the looks, people will forgive so much about its personality. The Valkyrie is the quiet kid with glasses who'll be top of the class, I reckon.

**steps down from lectern ... opens drawer full of X-rated etchings of the Quantum**
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No rack-ears in that picture. No 19'' rack solution, no buy from my side. Whatever the looks of it.
Old 8th June 2018
Lives for gear
This will be released in 2019 as Waldorf Kyra
Old 8th June 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
No rack-ears in that picture. No 19'' rack solution, no buy from my side. Whatever the looks of it.
I dunno, he talked about a rack version, and looking at that mock-up the side edges are flat, so ripe for rack ears. We'll see I guess.
Old 8th June 2018
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search