The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Valkyrie Wavetable VA with 1280 oscillators!? Desktop Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Valkyrie Wavetable VA with 1280 oscillators!?

The specs on this beast are insane. 128 voice, 8 part multi-timbral, 10 oscillators per voice, 32x oversampled with 96kHz output? Color me intrigued ... and a little dubious. Supposed to be at Muiskmesse next week.

Does anyone know anything more than this article reveals?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't know, but my reaction is, why aren't synths moving more readily in this direction? You look at something like the JV-1080 from over 20 years ago, and I feel like synths have gone backward in terms of specs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
I don't know, but my reaction is, why aren't synths moving more readily in this direction? You look at something like the JV-1080 from over 20 years ago, and I feel like synths have gone backward in terms of specs.
They have. I remember learning about the NF-1 and thinking, “8 voices?”
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Looks almost like a virus rack.

Need virus killer.
Need keyboard version.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It’s unbelievable how many newly-built synth choices we now have compared to what seems like a short time ago.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Virus spiritual successor much.

Wonder what they mean by that thought:
Sound generation is done in custom-designed hardware [...]
Custom hardware costs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Another article here:

Quote:
It’s an 8-part multi-timbral multi-core digital hardware synthesizer which in our current climate of modular and analogue is not something you see every day. They’ve decided that DSP is a bit passe and have designed and built their own hardware and operating system.

Exodus says that Valkyrie will always deliver 128 voices of polyphony. The sounds are sourced from 2 groups of 5 oscillators per voice giving a total of 1280 actual oscillators. There are two PCM wavetables with 4,096 waves ready to go all with hard sync, ring modulation and FM. On the sound processing side there are dual analogue modelled ladder filters, a modulation matrix, three envelope generators, three stereo LFO’s with 64 (!) shapes an arpeggiator and a “killer stereo hypersaw”.

It has 8 parts in terms of synthesis but an extra 9th part is dedicated to effects. Valkyrie has a shed-load including limiters, EQ, formant filter, distortion, delay, 6-stage phaser and a reverb. And it’s all in 96kHz.

Coming out the back are 4 balanced stereo 32bit 96kHz outputs. Over USB it can route all 8 parts in stereo at 48kHz or 96kHz and comes with low latency ASIO drivers and fully implemented MIDI.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If Access doesn't come up with a new virus another company will?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
The specs on this beast are insane. 128 voice, 8 part multi-timbral, 10 oscillators per voice, 32x oversampled with 96kHz output? Color me intrigued ... and a little dubious. Supposed to be at Muiskmesse next week.
Why would it be a insane beast? Anything from mid 1990 with a Pentium not running windooze could do way more then this, not at 96khz perhaps but anyway.

Quote:
There are two PCM wavetables with 4,096 waves ready to go all with hard sync, ring modulation and FM. Valkyrie has a shed-load including limiters, EQ, Formant Filter, distortion, delay, 6-stage phaser and a reverb. And it’s all in 96kHz.
This sounds like a FPGA based thing. Wave goodbye to Modal.

Im baffled its just 8 part multi timbral i would have expected at least 24 if not 36 speaking of going backwards.
Im basically dissapoint!

I bet 2999euro.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Urh, those demo tracks. I’m not really hearing anything that impressive. If you told me this was Dune 2 or Spire, I’d believe you.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

And so it begins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Demo tracks sounds like hipster/millennia arrogant doccu crap theme type GordiShore/Mallorca Disco TV series, same low intellectual capacity. Once upon a time synths was used to score classics like Bladerunner, StarTrek etc.

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
Demo tracks sounds like hipster/millennia arrogant doccu crap theme type GordiShore/Mallorca Disco TV series, same low intellectual capacity. Once upon a time synths was used to score classics like Bladerunner, StarTrek etc.

Well, far be it from me to criticize someone’s taste in music...

Oh, who am I kidding! Seriously, I hate that music, but whatever. I’m sure in a rave context when you’re on MDMA, it’s awesome, but my actual criticism is that the demos don’t show any real scope. Can you please just have a preset demo with no effects? I made a joke about the Bladerunner pad in another thread, but how about including things like that too?

That said, it is nice to see someone picking up where Access dropped off. More choices are always good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If each wavetable averages 30 single cycle waves then it has about 137 wavetables. (4096/30=136.5) The Ti has 99. They both have 32 knobs and almost the exact same number of buttons with the Ti having 2 more(43). The Ti has analog ins but the Val has USB2.

Assuming a similar price point to the Virus then I think this will live or die by the quality of its effects (including its arp).

Last edited by gremlin moon; 2 weeks ago at 04:13 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
No sequencer or sampling/audio import? They should make this thing a true workstation. THAT would set it apart from the crowd. Might even buy it just to exclusively make hipster millennial music for Klonfocious.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
If each wavetable averages 30 single cycle waves then it has about 137 wavetables. (4096/30=136.5) The Ti has 99. They both have 32 knobs and almost the exact same number of buttons with the Ti having 2 more(43). The Ti has analog ins but the Val has USB2.

Assuming a similar price point to the Virus then I think this will live or die by the quality of its effects (including its arp).
The marketing seems to suggest that they think the difference will be in less aliasing due to higher processing rates. I don’t think that will be enough, considering how much of the production of IDM is ITB where it’s not hard to render at high sample rates and most good plugins already do internal over sampling.

Me? I just want to hear it make some more creative sounds.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I used a more appropriate picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
The Valkyrie looks like a cool new VA Synth

MATRIXSYNTH: New Exodus Digital Valkyrie Desktop Hardware Synthesizer Coming to the Musikmesse

We need more of this, and a new Virus Ti3 would be super cool if it ever happens.
The developer, Manuel Caballero, gave a nice interview to a German magazine some minutes ago. So, he told us,

1) OSC and Filter are hardware implemented (via FPGA, Xilinx Zynq 7020, wich is a big FPGA with dual integrated hard ARM A9 cores. 85,000 gates.)

2) Compared to a design with SHARC processors this implementation is much more powerful

3) "Valkyrie’s sound generation and filters really are hardware, they’re not software. Only the control and effects are software. No DSP would get anywhere close – I looked at them all"

4) "They filters are entirely digital but they’re digital hardware, not software running on a DSP chip."

5) Valkyrie has 4096 wavetables within 72 groups of up to 128 waves, including a FM set with complex waves

6) It is possible to do FM, ringmod and hard sync between the two wavetables

7) The wavetables are 32x oversampled (1.5MHz!) - they can be "pushed really hard without any risk of aliasing".

8) Manuel plans "mainstream pricing"
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I noticed it will also have a free Editor/Librarian App for both Mac and PC.

Which is great. This will help make it more like a VirusTi in terms of workflow, closer integration with a DAW. I'm not sure if they plan to have VST versions of the editor/librarian. That would be even better for DAW Integration.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I prefer the blue version, very 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looping Loddar View Post
I used a more appropriate picture.

The developer, Manuel Caballero, gave a nice interview to a German magazine some minutes ago. So, he told us,

1) OSC and Filter are hardware implemented (via FPGA, Xilinx Zynq 7020, wich is a big FPGA with dual integrated hard ARM A9 cores. 85,000 gates.)

2) Compared to a design with SHARC processors this implementation is much more powerful

3) "Valkyrie’s sound generation and filters really are hardware, they’re not software. Only the control and effects are software. No DSP would get anywhere close – I looked at them all"

4) "They filters are entirely digital but they’re digital hardware, not software running on a DSP chip."

5) Valkyrie has 4096 wavetables within 72 groups of up to 128 waves, including a FM set with complex waves

6) It is possible to do FM, ringmod and hard sync between the two wavetables

7) The wavetables are 32x oversampled (1.5MHz!) - they can be "pushed really hard without any risk of aliasing".

8) Manuel plans "mainstream pricing"
Is the Amazona interview your source?

In there he also mentions a keyboard version in the works:
Peter:
The new picture is a desktop-version but without the frame it looks like it could be fitted into a 19“ rack, correct?

Manuel:
Yes, spot on. It is designed so that the end panels can be replaced with rack ears. A 19’ format as well as a keyboard model are in development right now.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Looks like Behringer cloned the Virus TI!

No, it sounds quite interesting, looking forward hearing more sounds at Music Messe...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

seems like they learned from DSI's bonehead mistake of making things too big to fit in a rack, hats off this new box looks really cool & I love the name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post

Peter:
The new picture is a desktop-version but without the frame it looks like it could be fitted into a 19“ rack, correct?

Manuel:
Yes, spot on. It is designed so that the end panels can be replaced with rack ears. A 19’ format as well as a keyboard model are in development right now.

Last edited by NEXUS-6; 1 week ago at 10:31 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Definitely a Virus spiritual successor. Even the knobs look the same as on Snow. Iiiiinteresting.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I can’t make good music without 1281 oscillators
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post

Peter:

Manuel:

Why the extra sections on top & bottom though? Making the synth much larger.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnny View Post
Why the extra sections on top & bottom though? Making the synth much larger.
I want to know the same thing. I think it would look better with those chunks cropped off.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klonfocius View Post
Why would it be a insane beast? Anything from mid 1990 with a Pentium not running windooze could do way more then this, not at 96khz perhaps but anyway.
Not just at 96kHz but with the level of oversampling and effects, it looks intriguing and quite computationally intensive. Of course it depends on the quality of the oscillators and they may well be going for quantity over quality. Nothing is noted in any of the interviews about drift or other analog modeling - just classic VA at greater scale.

Quote:
This sounds like a FPGA based thing. Wave goodbye to Modal.
Modal clearly aims at some of the analog space, but I do expect we’ll start to see a lot of FPGA designs staking out their space. DSPs just aren’t getting the investment they need to remain competitive, and ASICs are just too expensive to design for low volume production. Kurzweil has been shifting to FPGA in newer products as well, and no doubt we’ll see more and more boutique manufacturers getting in on it with major players to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Urh, those demo tracks. I’m not really hearing anything that impressive. If you told me this was Dune 2 or Spire, I’d believe you.
Yeah, the early demos are thoroughly uninspiring. Then again, if that was my sole measure I’d have written the Waldorf Quantum off long ago.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Seems like a cool thing for people who are into these types of synths, assuming the sound is there. I hope the project goes well, about time there's some competition for Virus in the hardware space.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search