The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any good site for uploading my music ? Modular Synthesizers
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

any good site for uploading my music ?

hi to all,

i am looking for a good free site to upload my music

as i have read soundcloud is not the only one place to upload my tracks and also the soundcoud's quality is not the best

a friend of mind was telling me that last night his soundcloud account suddenly deleted and he do not know if soundcloud is responsible for that or if his account hacked (no copyright issues or anything else)

he contacted soundcloud support team and he is waiting for their reply

what about hearthis.at ?

Listen to DJ Sets, Mixes, Tracks and Sounds | hearthis.at

my music style is electronic ambient and soundtrack

thanks in advance
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

That story sounds familiar. His user name does not start with 'G' by any chance, does it ?

Anyways, I'm also looking for an alternative to SC since I ran out of free minutes. The upload limit was also the main reason why I uploaded almost none of my ambient recordings.

hearthis.at sounds like a good alternative (1000mb upload / week, no play/download limits).

or maybe go to bandcamp.com . they don't have any upload limits, optionally support flac and you can even use it for donations (pay what you want), or as a regular store.
(EDIT: @gearslutz admins! pretty please!)

What are people's experiences with these (or other, free) music upload sites ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

good morning my friends

thanks for the reply

i will try soundcloud at first to see what is going on and then why not hearthis.at or bandcamp
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like Youtube at the moment. It's loudness normalisation is a blessing. I'm looking to transfer all my "free to listen" material to Youtube (errr, which is all of it)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

good morning dear praxisaxis

youtube ?

why not.. but i have to record a good slideshow as well plus a registration to be able to upload more than the fifteen minutes limit

i am not sure what format youtube use for encoding the audio but it sound quite good on my ears
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonick View Post
good morning dear praxisaxis

youtube ?

why not.. but i have to record a good slideshow as well plus a registration to be able to upload more than the fifteen minutes limit

i am not sure what format youtube use for encoding the audio but it sound quite good on my ears
You can just use a still image. If you have some good movie encoding software you can upload lossless audio - create a "movie" with just a single image for the duration. Or, alternatively, you can upload a still image movie with no sound, and use Youtube's in-house audio editor to put your audio to it (last time I checked, that was an option).

You will get better audio quality than soundcloud, and the loudness normalisation means you can upload more dynamic mixes.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
YouTube is a great platform to host your audio. It is also the second largest search engine on the www, second to Google, who owns YT. If you want to upload your audio file on their site, you need to create a simple video file which contains your audio clip with an audio editor. As mentioned above, simple place a picture, maybe something that relates to your song. It is refered to as a "talking head".

Currently, YouTube accepts the following video formats: MOV, MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP and Webm. As far as the playback format, you can check out the attachment below. Their platform streams audio at around a -12 to -13dbs so try and render your audio as close as you can to these specs.

Another great platform is Archive.org. It is free and unlimited. You can upload your audio in a wav format, and the listeners will have several options on the format they want to download or listen to. wav, mp3, ogg, flac, etc. If you have a website, and you should, it will also provide a link for you to use, with build in audio players.
Attached Thumbnails
any good site for uploading my music ?-yt.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I like Youtube at the moment. It's loudness normalisation is a blessing. I'm looking to transfer all my "free to listen" material to Youtube (errr, which is all of it)
Just listened to the link in your signature. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_T. View Post
Just listened to the link in your signature. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The sound quality of most of them suck. Lossy audio is lossy audio, at the end of the day.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
MySpace is gonna be BIG
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

DIY it.
Google drive with link.
Done.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff spicoli View Post
You wont be able to access your mandatory PayPal account while there!! BC is aware of this but they dont care. A massive PITA.
I'm asking out of pure ignorance - why can't you access your PayPal account overseas? Is it something that a simple VPN can't solve? Or are you saying that people from some countries can't pay you via PayPal?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's PayPal's "security" that is the main issue. While security can be a good thing... they take it to a whole new ridiculous level.

Any (and each) time you try to access your account from any location or IP other than your usual device/IP you must go through a lengthy verification process -simple security Q&A is NOT an option (years ago it used to be, but not no mo). They require phone calls (to your registered in home country home number only!) and codes.. then a bunch of Q&A nonsense. Even then, I have still had issues logging in. Try calling customer service from overseas and see how that goes for ya. It's a ridiculously frustrating, expensive and time wasting nightmare. And using a PP card is a joke.. the fees are astronomical.

Like I said, this is EACH and EVERY time you try to access your account. PayPal is available in other countries but most people do not use it, they use similar types of local services instead. It's a dumb requirement by BC and a dumb "security" requirement by PP. I have no problem directly accessing my bank accounts overseas and no problem accessing my own .com's (though that took quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which hosting actually works and which are full of ****)...
Ugh. That sounds brutal. I'm all for security, but not at the complete expense of usability. I can sort of understand why Bandcamp has the PayPal requirement, but it seems like PayPal needs to revisit their security approach. I do wonder if accessing the PayPal account through a VPN that uses a server in one's home country would reduce some of the steps they require. I've definitely logged into PayPal on multiple devices, including my phone when I've been in other cities, and not had to take all the steps you described. But I also just have a personal account, not a PayPal Business account, so that might make it different.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

People in this thread may be overstating the problems. There are pretty clear benefits to many services which offset the fact that their streaming uses lossy audio.

* your music is much more discoverable on a site like Youtube. If you restrict it to a personal website and a download link you're simply not going to get hits unless your material is already known. There's nothing stopping you from using several platforms: Put a download link to your website, or a non-lossy file in your Youtube comments, for example. Or, stream it from one site, and sell the lossless download or physical copy from another. Absolutely no issues there. Indeed if you only distributed physical copies, as soon as your music becomes well-know, someone is going to upload it (probably to Youtube) anyway.

* many of the streaming services are migrating to loudness normalisation, which is something those of us who prefer more dynamic masters can now capitalise on, in the sense that we are no longer penalised for it when using these sites (all things being equal, our music will sound better compared with badly mastered music when streaming from the same site).

* not all streaming services are equal. Youtube does sound much better than soundcloud (plus, there's no need to squash the master - see above). Find the one that works best for you.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Having to jump through the hoops for PayPal or your music not being able to be heard in some countries, is due to government restrictions, not companies. If you live in a country that has had sanctions placed against them, there is really nothing you can do. If you run a company that has the ability to transfer money using 3 mouse clicks, and it is discovered that people are using your services to move or laundry billions of dollars via illegal activities, then you will either remove your services to those countries or impose stricter use policies. The same goes for hosting companies concerning websites. Either that, or your service will be denied by other countries.

The bottom line is list your music where the pros do. They are there for a reason and most are free. Hit all the places you can for free and keep your information/posts/website fresh with new content. If you can not view a certain video or listen to a certain song in your country, it is because other countries have placed restrictions on your government. The fact remains that regardless of what quality of music you think these platforms are streaming your audio at, close to 60% of all music listened to or downloaded in 2017 was heard using a $12.00 pair of ear buds. That number is expected to climb very rapidly as improvements are made in the "Smart Phone" industry.

This link shows what the top audio service platforms will be streaming your audio at. The closer you can get to those numbers, the better your music will sound. This chart was made by Ian Shepherd and used with permission.

EDIT: I have added the following links to help explain my post as well as defend it from this member who made this post.

Why does PayPal restrict some countries?

Quote:
Governing bodies often have regulations and financial sanctions in place that prohibit transactions with certain high-risk countries. In most cases, the processing bank will decline transactions that originate from these countries. In the rare instance that the processing bank authorizes the transaction, the funding bank will prevent it from settling, and Braintree will let you know.
Prohibited Countries - PayPal - Braintree - BigCommerce

Why are some countries blocked from viewing my YouTube Videos?

Quote:
YouTube is one of the most restricted platforms online, where videos, channels, and sometimes the entire website are blocked from viewing. This is becoming a growing problem around the world for various reasons.
Unblock YouTube 2018 - Ultimate Resource Guide | Restore Privacy

Last edited by Dana_T.; 6 days ago at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Added Links.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
hey, by all means use whatever floats your boat! all I am saying is that if you actually give a **** about your music and career.. and are paying for a website, paying for any of these pro sm/streaming accounts, advertising etc., posting links and a/v players on forums and whatnot, expecting global access and to reach fans on all around the world, well.. youtube, sc, spotify etc.. are not the way to go. by only using those sites you are eliminating literally billions of people, potential fans, promoters, clients, customers etc. right from the jump. you arent getting what youre paying for. you are wasting your time and money. and all of that for what? another thing to consider, if you actually give a **** about your music and career, is many of those sites are playing major roles in the ongoing devaluation and destruction of the arts.. so theres that. add it all up plus the mandatory hoop jumping involved and now trying to dictate how we mix and master our songs too?! um.. no thank you very much.
I am not claiming for a second that Youtube (etc) are a perfect solution or a ticket to success.

But if you claim "they are not the way to go" it implies that you know of a better alternative. As I said, despite not being perfect, these sites very clearly have some benefits. So. . . what method do you think is better, at the exclusion of Youtube? Come on, spill the beans .
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Having to jump through the hoops for PayPal or your music not being able to be heard in some countries, is due to government restrictions, not companies. If you live in a country that has had sanctions placed against them, there is really nothing you can do. If you run a company that has the ability to transfer money using 3 mouse clicks, and it is discovered that people are using your services to move or laundry billions of dollars via illegal activities, then you will either remove your services to those countries or impose stricter use policies. The same goes for hosting companies concerning websites. Either that, or your service will be denied by other countries.

The bottom line is list your music where the pros do. They are there for a reason and most are free. Hit all the places you can for free and keep your information/posts/website fresh with new content. If you can not view a certain video or listen to a certain song in your country, it is because other countries have placed restrictions on your government. The fact remains that regardless of what quality of music you think these platforms are streaming your audio at, close to 60% of all music listened to or downloaded in 2017 was heard using a $12.00 pair of ear buds. That number is expected to climb very rapidly as improvements are made in the "Smart Phone" industry.

The attachment below shows what the top audio service platforms will be streaming your audio at. The closer you can get to those numbers, the better your music will sound. This chart was made by Ian Shepherd and used with permission.
That chart looks intriguing but it's too small to make out the writing. . .
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
That chart looks intriguing but it's too small to make out the writing. . .
Sorry, I just changed the link to show it full scale. Dam my 56 year ol eyes! Once you click the link, click the pic to enlarge. Try it again.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Oh god.. so much misinformation in there. Seriously, you dont have a clue what you are talking about. And that isnt the first post of yours spreading misinformed nonsense around the forum.. in the whole 3 weeks you've been here.
I have added the following Links to help explain my post as well as defend it from this member who made this quote. 231 post in 4 years?

Why does PayPal restrict some countries?

Quote:
Governing bodies often have regulations and financial sanctions in place that prohibit transactions with certain high-risk countries. In most cases, the processing bank will decline transactions that originate from these countries. In the rare instance that the processing bank authorizes the transaction, the funding bank will prevent it from settling, and Braintree will let you know. Prohibited Countries - PayPal - Braintree - BigCommerce
Prohibited Countries - PayPal - Braintree - BigCommerce

Why are some countries blocked from viewing my YouTube Videos?

Quote:
YouTube is one of the most restricted platforms online, where videos, channels, and sometimes the entire website are blocked from viewing. This is becoming a growing problem around the world for various reasons. Some countries, particularly Germany, are enacting laws which force social media platforms – including YouTube – to remove or block access to content that’s deemed to be “illegal”. These laws are incredibly vague and give governments unprecedented control over the flow of information online. Unblock YouTube 2018 - Ultimate Resource Guide | Restore Privacy
Unblock YouTube 2018 - Ultimate Resource Guide | Restore Privacy
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Already answered
Um, no, you didn't. You said:

Quote:
Outside of my own .com (via a globally accessible host!), I've yet to find a perfect solution..
Yes, there are advantages to having paid, lossless downloads exclusively on your own site. Everyone reading this thread likely understands that. But the benefits offered by a streaming service like YT (which I've already listed) don't cancel out the possibility of using both options (and more besides). Hence, a) you're offering no real alternative, and b) what you've said is no solution for the OP.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's PayPal's "security" that is the main issue. While security can be a good thing... they take it to a whole new ridiculous level.

Any (and each) time you try to access your account from any location or IP other than your usual device/IP you must go through a lengthy verification process -simple security Q&A is NOT an option (years ago it used to be, but not no mo). They require phone calls (to your registered in home country home number only!) and codes.. then a bunch of Q&A nonsense. Even then, I have still had issues logging in. Try calling customer service from overseas and see how that goes for ya. It's a ridiculously frustrating, expensive and time wasting nightmare. And using a PP card is a joke.. the fees are astronomical.

Like I said, this is EACH and EVERY time you try to access your account. PayPal is available in other countries but most people do not use it, they use similar types of local services instead. It's a dumb requirement by BC and a dumb "security" requirement by PP. I have no problem directly accessing my bank accounts overseas and no problem accessing my own .com's (though that took quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which hosting actually works and which are full of ****)...

I travel the world for a living. I use PayPal every couple of weeks to buy stuff. Never has the country I've been in been a problem when using my PayPal account.

Your single data point is not representative of the entire service. Either there has been suspicious activity on your account at some point that is triggering extra checks, or you've not setup your account properly.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

@Praxisaxis definitely makes valid points about the benefits of the platforms in spite of their imperfections.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
The sound quality of most of them suck. Lossy audio is lossy audio, at the end of the day.
So... which streaming services allow lossless streaming AND are household names so people might actually hear your music there?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
So... which streaming services allow lossless streaming AND are household names so people might actually hear your music there?
The key phrase here is "SO PEOPLE MIGHT ACTUALLY HEAR YOUR MUSIC"! Yesterday I was commenting on another post and I clicked a link in a members signature. It took me to Bandcamp. I clicked the link as it said something to the effect of "First Album Mixed" or something to that effect and it peaked my interest. The fact that they did this in 4 weeks with no studio or recording experience, just blew me away.

So as I am listening to his song, on my $12.00 ear buds, I am reading the back story on how the ep was put together. It was amazing to me and inspired me as well.

Quote:
Paper Wallpaper is an album with a story; the story of a hitchhiker who, together with a guy he met on a chance encounter, recorded an album in the space of 4 weeks - with no previous experience of studios or recording. Dominic has many of the same influences you might expect of a 20-something-man-that-sings-and-plays-guitar, only he has plied his trade on the streets of European cities and towns, far from the pretentious, snobby dives that make the ‘music scenes’ of The West. What you’re hearing is the sound of a guy who is dedicated to his art and passionate about music - no more, no less.”
The point I am trying to make is simple. I clicked a link from a member of this community and listened to a few songs on BC using a $12.00 set of ear buds. I signed into my PayPal account and downloaded the ep in a wav and mp3 360 format. All this artist said about the price was "give what you want to". I thought I was giving him $15.00 US dollars but it worked out to $12 EUR. Lossy or Lossless never entered my mind. I liked what I heard and I bought it.

The bottom line is this. REGARDLESS of where I would have heard the first song on this ep, I would have clicked the link to buy it, as I liked what I heard and that is all that truly matters!
Attached Thumbnails
any good site for uploading my music ?-bc.jpg  
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
<snip>I thought I was giving him $15.00 US dollars but it worked out to $12 EUR.
That’s a great story, Dana. Thank you for sharing.

It does bring up an interesting point though - well, interesting to me that is - namely: Do you think that the album had no fixed price swayed you into purchasing?

Let me rephrase... had you gone to Bandcamp and seen that the album was being sold for $15 would that have put you off? I ask because for some time now I’ve been thinking that when you offer someone something at a price that is determined by the purchaser, we are more likely a) to buy in the first place, and b) pay more than if the album had a fixed price.

My thinking behind this is that it appeals to our charity whilst a fixed-price feels more like a cold transaction.

What d’ya think?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
That’s a great story, Dana. Thank you for sharing.

It does bring up an interesting point though - well, interesting to me that is - namely: Do you think that the album had no fixed price swayed you into purchasing?

Let me rephrase... had you gone to Bandcamp and seen that the album was being sold for $15 would that have put you off?
No, not really. As humans, we often pay for what we like. Honestly, if had a $20.00 sticker on it, I would have paid the money. Someone else may listen to the same song and said, "I would not give 10 cents for it". I liked it, so the $15.00 was an easy sell.

Quote:
I ask because for some time now I’ve been thinking that when you offer someone something at a price that is determined by the purchaser, we are more likely a) to buy in the first place, and b) pay more than if the album had a fixed price.
I think it all boils down to what someone is willing to pay for what we like. My wife hates to see handbags selling for $4,500.00. It drives her crazy. I just tell her that if people where not paying the price, the company would be out of business in a month. Again, some people buy for pleasure and some for status.

Quote:
My thinking behind this is that it appeals to our charity whilst a fixed-price feels more like a cold transaction. What d’ya think?
You make a very valid point. It's like going to a yard sale and someone has a "$25.00 firm" sticker on it. If I really like the item, I would pay. If it was something I liked but could live without, I might tell them that at the end of the day and it does not sell, I will offer you $15.00. Here's my number.

I am a firm believer that bands or solo artist need to do whatever it takes to get their sound/voice heard. If that means giving a few away for free, then so be it. If it is a "Pay what you feel", then that works as well. In the beginning, it is not going to make or break you.

Not having your talent heard, will most likely end your career unless you just want to play for the local crowd. So ya, having a donation policy vrs a fixed price, as far as I'm concerned, is a more likely approach then coming off as "Corporate Office", but then again, like I said above, I would have bought it anyway. As to the point of this entire thread, had I not heard it, this post would never exist and it would be an impossible sell for this Artist.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you're going to quote me, expect a response.
Orson ****ing Wells
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonick View Post

youtube ?
Most popular platform for discovering new music.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search