The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
any good site for uploading my music ? Modular Synthesizers
Old 17th April 2018
Deleted User

[QUOTE=markodarko;13263707]
I truly believe this guy, @jeff spicoli is whacked. He has 0 information on his profile. He has 0 links to any of his "so called music" or "gigs" he seems to brag about, or "all his tours". He has 0 entries for his studio gear.
< deleted by moderator - no personal attacks please >The same nonsense that he is spouting here, is the same he did on other threads. < deleted by moderator - no personal attacks please > I think the mods let him stay, as they need to be amused as well.

< moderator message - please hit the "report" button if you think a post is inappropriate? please check the FAQ in the top of the page first (the "rules" are written down there) >

Last edited by Reptil; 19th April 2018 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: -
Old 17th April 2018
Lives for gear

I've been thinking about this too, my last uploads were to MySpace back in the day, since then I've made 6 full records. No internet presence! What's the point!? Haha! (I make music for myself, share with friends and other musicians).

However, it is time to get the material out there. I also find YouTube the be pretty on point for finding and listening to new music. Seems like YouTube uploads and maybe a link to a personal webpage with a bio is a great start to get something happening. Maybe the webpage could have the link to purchase ones music. But YouTube seems to be a great choice for people to find your work.
Old 17th April 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I've been thinking about this too, my last uploads were to MySpace back in the day, since then I've made 6 full records. No internet presence! What's the point!? Haha! (I make music for myself, share with friends and other musicians). However, it is time to get the material out there.
Shoot me a PM. I am not a label but Google loves me! I will place your music on my sites and it will not cost you a dime! I use my own servers to host my audio. If people like it and want to buy it, then they just click a link where you have it for sale and the deal is done. This will all depend of course, if it fits the venue of my sites. All that means is if you aint dropping the f bomb every-other word, you should be alright. I saw your tag line so I am sure you would meet the requirements.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Jeff, you've been so convincing in this thread. Nice!
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff spicoli View Post
It's PayPal's "security" that is the main issue. While security can be a good thing... they take it to a whole new ridiculous level.

Any (and each) time you try to access your account from any location or IP other than your usual device/IP you must go through a lengthy verification process -simple security Q&A is NOT an option (years ago it used to be, but not no mo). They require phone calls (to your registered in home country home number only!) and codes.. then a bunch of Q&A nonsense. Even then, I have still had issues logging in. Try calling customer service from overseas and see how that goes for ya. It's a ridiculously frustrating, expensive and time wasting nightmare. And using a PP card is a joke.. the fees are astronomical.

Like I said, this is EACH and EVERY time you try to access your account. PayPal is available in other countries but most people do not use it, they use similar types of local services instead. It's a dumb requirement by BC and a dumb "security" requirement by PP. I have no problem directly accessing my bank accounts overseas and no problem accessing my own .com's (though that took quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which hosting actually works and which are full of ****)...
Yes, both PayPal and eBay are insane when it comes to blocking any users they deem suspicious, which is basically everyone after a certain point.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Of course there is no good solution, Jeff. That's why discussions like this are necessary. There is no discussion if you insist on talking over people. <SNIP>

There are two different uses for platforms like this: marketing and distribution.

Marketing- any of these services. Pay to play even. If you make money, bonus. Yes, Youtube, yes whatever fits your market.

Distribution - That's the real trick, but everything set up to drive people where you can get the biggest cut is a logical focus. Getting set up to host on my own servers personally.

Seems pretty much any of these companies have burned people and will continue to burn people. Being prepped to be burned is the norm for being someone in the music biz, sadly, but that's nothing new. The tech biz deserves caution if you are in music.... they gutted the business, it was ripe for it, sure, but they are still sharks.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 19th April 2018 at 06:11 AM..
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
And get it out there you wont. Its like you're a taxi driver that willingly can only accept 40% of potential fares and then donating your entire paychecks to Uber. Yeah, Youtube is totally awesome!!
Yeah I've totally donated all my paychecks to youtube.
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Dana_T.;13263727]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
I truly believe this guy, @jeff spicoli is whacked. He has 0 information on his profile. He has 0 links to any of his "so called music" or "gigs" he seems to brag about, or "all his tours". He has 0 entries for his studio gear.
< deleted by moderator - no personal attacks please >The same nonsense that he is spouting here, is the same he did on other threads. < deleted by moderator - no personal attacks please > I think the mods let him stay, as they need to be amused as well.
Eh, some people still value privacy and public anonymity on the Net. You can't really fault someone for that.

Last edited by Reptil; 19th April 2018 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: -
Old 18th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
Eh, some people still value privacy and public anonymity on the Net. You can't really fault someone for that.
Nobody is saying otherwise.

But this thread is about getting your music exposed. Jeff's answer was, basically, that there's no way to do this. He's wrong.

The original question was not "how can I be as private as possible on the internet," or "what is the method for selling on-line without passing on any of my profits to a third party."

Very clearly, there are ways of promoting/distributing your own on-line content. Certainly, they aren't perfect, but that's precisely why the OP is asking.
Old 19th April 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiquestions View Post
When you join a community that deals with audio, and you start arguing with everyone that disagrees with you, most people will ask you to backup your claims. When this request puts you in a state of outrage and you lash out, they will start to question your knowledge. Do it enough, your will lose your credibility. When you do this on other threads as well, then you will be label as a "Troll".

Now he states he has been on world tours, sold millions, states his name is practically a household word and we have all bought his music. This has nothing to do with privacy, it has to do with reality as well as credibility. Human nature dictates that when someone has these types of accomplishments, they like to provide information on it. That is why this community allows links in members signatures.

Contractor to homeowner: "I can build that deck for you. I have built hundreds and everyone was 100% satisfied"! Homeowner to contractor: "Great, can I see some pictures and get a few references"? Contractor to homeowner: "Well, I do not have any pictures and my customers do not like to be bothered. You are just going to have to take my word on the quality of my work as well as my knowledge". Homeowner to contractor: "Hit the road"!
Old 19th April 2018
Gear Nut

youtube and soundcoud is the best idea in 2018 for exposure here? maybe if you want to impress the school mates and mum I really didnt understand why anyone uses it or can recommend to others. it is the sea of bad sound quality and mediocre or bad amature hobby 'music'. they are bad for the music industry future also. when I toured with my band in china and england last summer we had also problems with our website and social media and paypal but now we found new ways to market and sell music there. so what I experienc is like RunnyKine midiquestions and jeff spicoli are right on the money. so much bad information here. op should find a different choice. please dont beat me up for saying so
Old 19th April 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen one View Post
youtube and soundcoud is the best idea in 2018 for exposure here? maybe if you want to impress the school mates and mum I really didnt understand why anyone uses it or can recommend to others. it is the sea of bad sound quality and mediocre or bad amature hobby 'music'.
The OP is looking for free distribution platform. Is there any you may be able to recommend to them?

Quote:
they are bad for the music industry future also.
They are household names. Some bands have 10s of thousands of followers and they have never touched a major label. You want something to go viral, give it to a 7th grader and tell them to send it to their friends.

Quote:
when I toured with my band in china and england last summer we had also problems with our website and social media and paypal but now we found new ways to market and sell music there.
Last month I went to my local Lowes hardware store and purchased a 5 x 12 trailer that was on sale for $650.00. I then drove 30 miles to a Home Depot, another hardware store and bought $250.00 worth of pressure treated plywood and bolts, to make my side rails for the trailer, as they had it on sale. I then went another 80 miles to a local hardware store, 12 miles from my other home and bought $1200.00 worth of roofing material. My bank card was declined.

I called my bank from their counter and was informed that since I had crossed 3 zip codes and made 3 purchases within 2 hrs that exceeded $100.00 each, they shut my card off as a protection service for their customers. I had no idea as I seldom read the fine print that is in a #2 font. I gave them my pin number and the transaction went through immediately.

Quote:
so what I experienc is like RunnyKine midiquestions and jeff spicoli are right on the money. so much bad information here. op should find a different choice. please dont beat me up for saying so
I think you are safe. But getting back to the OPs original question, who would you recommend that offers a free method for a budding artist to get their music heard?
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Labels and representation have to be at least mentioned? I had a good discussion with a friend of mine who is well set up in the biz about self-releases and doing one's own label, his take is that it is so much work that you have to pick one or the other- artistry or marketing/label work. I know some people can make it work, doing it all. But not everyone has that work ethic, the time, the funds. And I think splitting focus can degrade the product.

If someone is not confident in getting signed, or finding representation, I see no reason at all to berate them for using common platforms to try and find their niche.

Also, if someone like Jeff has the success he says he has, odds are pretty high that he didn't do it solo and is in fact no marketing expert. Which is fine, in my opinion no artist should be doing that, they should be focused on the music. It's a job for a team who knows the business. They'll likely make decisions that the artist might not want to hear, but business is business. It's still better than having your soul sucked away trying to wear the wrong hat. If that is not an option then honestly, even though it is no good solution, use whatever platform fits your target, roll the dice and keep expectations low.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
youtube and soundcoud is the best idea in 2018 for exposure here? maybe if you want to impress the school mates and mum

Err, what? Popular songs have BILLIONS of views on youtube. I have a feeling that it's not just mums and schoolmates...
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
youtube and soundcoud is the best idea in 2018 for exposure here? maybe if you want to impress the school mates and mum I really didnt understand why anyone uses it or can recommend to others. it is the sea of bad sound quality and mediocre or bad amature hobby 'music'. they are bad for the music industry future also. when I toured with my band in china and england last summer we had also problems with our website and social media and paypal but now we found new ways to market and sell music there. so what I experienc is like RunnyKine midiquestions and jeff spicoli are right on the money. so much bad information here. op should find a different choice. please dont beat me up for saying so
I'm not going to beat you up.

I'm just going to let you know that the most popular music video on Youtube has over 5 billion views. That number is greater than half of the world's total population. That video has more dislikes than there are people who live in my home city. What's with all the nonsense in this thread?

Youtube has its problems, but exposure is not one of them. The OP is looking for suggestions. There are options apart from Youtube - what is your suggestion?
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Just to be abundantly clear. . . when someone on the internet asks for a recommendation, telling them what they should not do especially on the basis of very dubious reasoning (see above) is about the worst way to give them advice.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
youtube and soundcoud is the best idea in 2018 for exposure here?
As an old, old wise sage once said... Video killed the radio star.

I’m 45 and I buy all my music on CD - yes, I’m the one - but, the first place I’ll look for music before buying is YouTube. It’s not about distribution it’s about marketing, exposure and ease of discovery. For that it’s pretty much second to none because I don’t have to trawl around the internet checking out different websites. Of course, visiting websites is great if you’re already a fan of the artist and hence follow them / know their website, but for discovery - not so much.

I have the YouTube app on my phone and my TV (which is hooked up to my HiFi) and I can use my phone to search and play it on the TV right from the app. It’s quick, it comes through my HiFi and it’s entertaining as there are also visuals.

The world’s moving on. Today’s teenagers will be tomorrow’s 45-yr-olds... and they’re all using YouTube to find music.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

I find youtube actually quite bad for discovering new music, there is no simple way to filter the videos in a way that, for example, online record stores work. Ie. if I wanna listen to stuff released the last 4 weeks that sounds (however remotely) like classic Detroit techno I can't really do that. I can do it in Decks.de in quite literally in a second, and it shows all the relevant releases instantly, with clips to listen to.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
I find youtube actually quite bad for discovering new music, there is no simple way to filter the videos in a way that, for example, online record stores work. Ie. if I wanna listen to stuff released the last 4 weeks that sounds (however remotely) like classic Detroit techno I can't really do that. I can do it in Decks.de in quite literally in a second, and it shows all the relevant releases instantly, with clips to listen to.
That’s a fair point. That could very well be that the artists putting things on YouTube just aren’t tagging their videos properly - both in metadata and in the titles / description. For example, if they put “My song title - (Detroit techno)” as a title along with “This is a Detroit techno song I wrote... blah blah blah” in the description, plus added the correct tags for metadata, I’m sure you’d find them because you could search for “Detroit techno” and order the results by date.

I don’t think the problem is with YouTube, it’s that most people don’t think through how to correctly tag and label their works from the POV of discovery when they post stuff to YouTube.
Old 19th April 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
I have the YouTube app on my phone and my TV (which is hooked up to my HiFi) and I can use my phone to search and play it on the TV right from the app. It’s quick, it comes through my HiFi and it’s entertaining as there are also visuals. The world’s moving on. Today’s teenagers will be tomorrow’s 45-yr-olds... and they’re all using YouTube to find music.
That is so funny! I had to get my 15 year old granddaughter who brought over a couple of her friends to show me how to do, what you just said. In 20 mins they had my TV hooked into my wifi, and installed the YT app on my iPhone. They never skipped a beat and they looked like 3 highly skilled surgeons doing open heart surgery.

Here Papap, open the YT app. Now search of any artist. Now select the video you want from the play list. Now hit show on TV. Hit play. It was the first time I had my TV going through my surround sound. They even knew I needed a fiber optic cable to run from TV into the sound bar to make the wireless bass and satellite rear speakers work. Kids are amazing in 2018. Needless to say, the pizza party was on me!
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_T. View Post
They never skipped a beat and they looked like 3 highly skilled surgeons doing open heart surgery... Needless to say, the pizza party was on me!
They are the future.

My eldest son is 18 and he uses YouTube to find music, as do the little ones (12 and 10). My wife is the odd-one-out as she uses Spotify - which I detest.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s a fair point. That could very well be that the artists putting things on YouTube just aren’t tagging their videos properly - both in metadata and in the titles / description. For example, if they put “My song title - (Detroit techno)” as a title along with “This is a Detroit techno song I wrote... blah blah blah” in the description, plus added the correct tags for metadata, I’m sure you’d find them because you could search for “Detroit techno” and order the results by date.

I don’t think the problem is with YouTube, it’s that most people don’t think through how to correctly tag and label their works from the POV of discovery when they post stuff to YouTube.
Well, I just checked using the keywords "Detroit techno", then filtered by upload date. There's all kinda stuff there, some HW jams, a Juan Atkins interview, some DJ mixes, some production tutorials etc. But, there's exactly zero new releases there.

Youtube is of course good if you know exactly (ie a name for a track or an artist) what you're looking, but for any kind of broad searching it's not that great imo.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I just checked using the keywords "Detroit techno", then filtered by upload date. There's all kinda stuff there, some HW jams, a Juan Atkins interview, some DJ mixes, some production tutorials etc. But, there's exactly zero new releases there.
I guess either people aren’t putting new releases on there from the Detroit techno scene, or they’re not labelling / tagging their uploads properly. That’s the big problem with YouTube - it relies on the right metadata to be inputted by the user.

There are some people who keep playlists current though, and you can just subscribe to them, but then you’re limiting yourself to what the playlist creator(s) deem worthy to be included and that becomes a bit like a radio then. Which of course has its pros and cons too.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is probably the kind of thing the OP needs to consider. I suggested Youtube as a kind of general remedy. But for a neiche product, there are other options.

As I've already mentioned though, they're not exclusive. So another question is how many platforms will you make use of, and is there any good reason to avoid the most generally popular ones. In my opinion there isn't, because their pros outweigh their cons.
Old 19th April 2018
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
So another question is how many platforms will you make use of, and is there any good reason to avoid the most generally popular ones. In my opinion there isn't, because their pros outweigh their cons.
According to all the top promoters, ALL OF THEM. Website. $90.00. YT, FB, Twitter, Google+ and the dozen others, all free. You just need a groupie to maintain them for ya. I think they call them interns now.
Old 19th April 2018
< cleaned up the thread a bit - please don't do any personal attack? Hit the "report" button if you see something inappropriate, and check the FAQ first, please? thanks >
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
A little birdie told me I should come here and apologize for hurting your feelings.. so here I am and I am here to say I am so very sorry!

And one final word for the OP (I promise, this is my last post here)... if you place any value on your music, your career, your future, your fans, the time and money you have invested in your craft etc., pretty please do yourself a big favor by not taking any of this ridiculous amateur hour advice.

Good luck and good bye snowflakes.
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
As I've already mentioned though, they're not exclusive. So another question is how many platforms will you make use of, and is there any good reason to avoid the most generally popular ones. In my opinion there isn't, because their pros outweigh their cons.
I think you're generally right. That said, I think there can be philosophical reasons to avoid some of these services. I don't have much recorded music yet, but I don't see myself ever using Youtube, for a strictly personal reason: I really dislike how Youtube is so overrun with ads and I don't really want to be part of a platform whose monetizing model is ad-based. That's a personal reason though and I wouldn't fault anyone else who uses the platform, especially if they're pursuing wider exposure.
Old 19th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
MySpace is gonna be BIG
As funny as this seems now because myspace tanked so hard and we're in a totally different world now with streaming etc. But it really was a useful site for music in its day.

I and some of my friends had releases on labels we liked simply by being noticed on myspace in people's top eight or or by friending particular artists or labels.

The format lent itself to creating an online identity unlike facebook, soundcloud and other social media. Also it was easier to connect with people - not just musicians and labels but random fans of music who might not have been as interested in having something like soundcloud, which is geared more toward musicians.

I was listening to a podcast the other day where Flying Lotus said myspace was integral to him getting noticed and coming up and signed.

A-Trak had an article years back on this that sums it up better than I ever could:

Mourning MySpace | HuffPost
Old 19th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal View Post
I think you're generally right. That said, I think there can be philosophical reasons to avoid some of these services. I don't have much recorded music yet, but I don't see myself ever using Youtube, for a strictly personal reason: I really dislike how Youtube is so overrun with ads and I don't really want to be part of a platform whose monetizing model is ad-based. That's a personal reason though and I wouldn't fault anyone else who uses the platform, especially if they're pursuing wider exposure.
I feel the same way. I hate how Soundcloud butchers the sound in particular. I deleted my Soundcloud account and feel pretty good about it. I do listen to music on Youtube, adblock takes care of the ads.

Major and established independent acts are working these platforms hard. To say that for anyone to do so is amateurish is pretty silly.
Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search