The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do people like about the Korg Monologue?
Old 11th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by trannycrackhorse View Post
The envelopes on this thing are super fast and punchy.
Agreed. In terms of synthesis, one thing that I think the Monologue excels at is drum/percussive sounds in part because of the fast envelopes. Lots of monosynths can produce interesting percussive sounds, but the Monologue seems particularly tailored for it. The resonating LPF can produce some devastating kicks that can be enhanced with the one-shot LFO providing an initial click and the drive adding some distortion to taste. A variety of snares can be achieved with noise on oscillator 2 and different shaping of the tonal element with oscillator 1 modulated by the 1-shot LFO. And again the drive can give a snare some nice bite. The motion sequencing and fast LFO can be experimented with to come up with all manner of atonal, percussive noises. I've spent plenty of time just sitting on the couch coming up with and saving drum/percussion patches on the Monologue, because it's so immediate and intuitive.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

I posted a long reply earlier in this thread, but just realized that one of the things that I really like about the M-Logue is that its keyboard goes from E-E versus the traditional C-C.

Really cool to have this on a 25-key synth.

Greg
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

I've been thinking about the complaint of weak low end. I'm still setting up the studio, but I have an old Aphex C2 with Big Bottom I intend on keeping in the rack. Recording engineers usually sneer at it because, well... it's distortion, but in synth and/or electric guitar land..all bets are off. I've only used it once when rerecording some old and poorly recorded vinyl. Heard high hat parts I never knew were there and the kick finally had some beef to it. The distortion was inaudible. Just wondering if anyone has tried running the Mono (or any other synth) thru an Aphex or other exciter?
Old 13th April 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRoy View Post
Just wondering if anyone has tried running the Mono (or any other synth) thru an Aphex or other exciter?
I believe Korg has been running them through an Aphex Twin.
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a brand new one from an online retailer and had to return it because it kept jumping presets on its own. At 1st, I found it strange to change presets when I hit a key.

Then the jumping started. The control knob wasn't loose. It had a strong feel. It just began jumping back and forth between a few presets.

Couldn't have this so back it went. And I didn't order a replacement. I'm a fan of Korg, but I'm over the Monologue. I'd rather save up and get something better.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry for your bad experience, looks like you just got a faulty unit. S**t happens.

Mine has been rock solid and it's a really nice unit, but for whatever reason I almost never use it. It's one of those synths I can find absolutely no faults with, yet I never "gelled" with it...maybe the menu diving, maybe the slightly limited features...I don't know, but for everything I need there always seems to be one of my other synths that does it better.
I think I will sell it, even though I'll miss seeing that little stylish thing on my desk.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider76 View Post
Sorry for your bad experience, looks like you just got a faulty unit. S**t happens.

Mine has been rock solid and it's a really nice unit, but for whatever reason I almost never use it. It's one of those synths I can find absolutely no faults with, yet I never "gelled" with it...maybe the menu diving, maybe the slightly limited features...I don't know, but for everything I need there always seem to be one of my other synths that does it better.
I think I will sell it, even though I'll miss seeing that little styilish thing on my desk.
No doubt. Just a faulty unit. Could of got a replacement, but opted not to. It was cool, but I'd rather get something better (with better being subjective here).

I got a blue one and it looked really cool. It was my 1st purchase from selling all my gear and taking a break for 2 years. Oh well. This isn't my 1st rodeo.
Old 11th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Just noticed that the Monologue is only £200 brand new over here now, and it's getting really hard to ignore at that price...maybe I should wait for Black Friday though?
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

I keep a Monologue-based setup on the side as a fun quick cure for writer's block.

It's a mini old-school setup: synth (Monologue), drum machine (Volca Sample) and sampler (Microsampler). Yep, all Korg.

I see the limited features as a blessing because in minutes I have a funky track going -- and the Monologue sequencer is easy to create quirks. Fun to mash audio from the Sample, which has its own fun little sequencer. Same for when I use the Volca FM instead of the Sample.

Microsampler for chords and for lines I'd rather play than sequence.

Monologue is what makes it all go.
Old 11th October 2018
Lives for gear

It would be very interesting to see how the Monologue stacks up against the IK Uno. Their feature sets are roughly similar (except for the micro tuning).

The Uno sounds great for the price... Both of these synths are occupying the same marketplace niche the SH-101 had 35 years ago.
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

I too have noticed they are now £200 and am considering buying one so I watched the videos and listened to the afx demos and loved it, then I came here and read this thread with lots of negatives. Ahhhh gearslutz...
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Guru

Sequencer is dope, it's my MS20's sequencer right now., running MIDI sequences into the MS20 & hearing both the Monologue and MS20 blend together with some slight detuning is one of the main reasons to be alive.
Old 24th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
I keep a Monologue-based setup on the side as a fun quick cure for writer's block.

It's a mini old-school setup: synth (Monologue), drum machine (Volca Sample) and sampler (Microsampler). Yep, all Korg.

I see the limited features as a blessing because in minutes I have a funky track going -- and the Monologue sequencer is easy to create quirks. Fun to mash audio from the Sample, which has its own fun little sequencer. Same for when I use the Volca FM instead of the Sample.

Microsampler for chords and for lines I'd rather play than sequence.

Monologue is what makes it all go.
Do you control the Sample via midi or CV from the Monologue?
Old 24th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Do you control the Sample via midi or CV from the Monologue?
I control the Sample from its sequencer. The Monologue's sync out keeps everything in time.

When I've used the Octatrack instead of the Microsampler, the OT's midi out plays notes on the Sample as well as uses probability to add some unexpected CC tweaks.
Old 24th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookSound View Post
Recently picked up a monologue and I am deeply disappointed. Worst $300 I’ve ever spent. It’s very one dimensional and seems to be built around being a bass synth-but it fails even at that. It spits out simple and thin sounding patches. My friend brought over a MiniBrute and it runs paces around it. Hell, most software synths are more versatile and sound way meatier.

What are people using the Monologue for? It’s a very simple synth with little to no modulation and it’s weak in all categories in my opinion.

Why are people giving this synth such glowing reviews? It useful in very specific applications, which were shown in many demos, and I bought it under the assumption it would be more useful than it is. It has a few select sweet spots at best, but not worth the price tag.

PM if you want to buy it at discount lol
I think the Monlogue sounds better than any software ever created, except maybe the Repro5. The presets are lofi, I don't like them, but my own presets sound very convincing to me. It is like 90% sweet spot on mine. Very glad to have purchased it.

I recently bought the Behringer model D, and the Microbrute.
I like all of them, but if I had to choose one it would be the Monologue, just because it has memory. And the shape osc feature is very cool, so many possibilities. The shape mod on saw is far better than on the microbrute, but the microbrute excels with its metallizer, outstanding stand-alone feature. Sync+shape mod in the monologue opens new sounds.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I just picked up a Monologue last night and came up with these sounds. Super stoked on this little keyboard. It sounds cool

Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I love the monologue! I did this like a week after I had gotten it.

Man that was amazing
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I control the Sample from its sequencer. The Monologue's sync out keeps everything in time.
Well, everything in time so long as you hit play on the Sample in time! And double time, if you have any 2-bar Monologue sequences. Have you tried controlling the Sample from the Monologue via midi?

Quote:
When I've used the Octatrack instead of the Microsampler, the OT's midi out plays notes on the Sample as well as uses probability to add some unexpected CC tweaks.
Yeah, I can imagine the Octatrack doing that, unfortunately the idea of getting mine out just makes me want to not make music And while I have got a Microsampler to play nicely with the Monologue, the memory structure is too fiddly and fiddly-computer for me. I'm now sub-contracting rhythmic duties to a Boss DR660.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Well, everything in time so long as you hit play on the Sample in time! And double time, if you have any 2-bar Monologue sequences. Have you tried controlling the Sample from the Monologue via midi?
Haha. Timing is everything! Haven't tried controlling the Sample via the Monologue's MIDI out. For doing double time stuff, I suppose you could lower the Monologue's tempo by half for a 4-bar sequence that the Sample follows at the tempo you want? I guess that would work? Or maybe it would bring up other problems in your workflow?

Quote:
Yeah, I can imagine the Octatrack doing that, unfortunately the idea of getting mine out just makes me want to not make music And while I have got a Microsampler to play nicely with the Monologue, the memory structure is too fiddly and fiddly-computer for me. I'm now sub-contracting rhythmic duties to a Boss DR660.
Nothing wrong with the DR660. Everybody has their own workflow. What works for A won't work for B and what works for B won't work for C. That's how it's supposed to be. We all have slightly different destinations so of course we should all take different paths.
Old 5th August 2019
Here for the gear

i recently got a monologue for 2 hundred, use it along side an ea1, er1, and a modular with 3 sq1's and an ensoniq mr61. so far, the little monosynth has been awesome!
Old 5th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookSound View Post
Recently picked up a monologue and I am deeply disappointed. Worst $300 I’ve ever spent. It’s very one dimensional and seems to be built around being a bass synth-but it fails even at that. It spits out simple and thin sounding patches. My friend brought over a MiniBrute and it runs paces around it. Hell, most software synths are more versatile and sound way meatier.

What are people using the Monologue for? It’s a very simple synth with little to no modulation and it’s weak in all categories in my opinion.

Why are people giving this synth such glowing reviews? It useful in very specific applications, which were shown in many demos, and I bought it under the assumption it would be more useful than it is. It has a few select sweet spots at best, but not worth the price tag.

PM if you want to buy it at discount lol
Maybe YOURS sound bad? I had the minibrute and it didn't sound better.
Old 6th August 2019
Deleted 4c3c464
The Monologue can be seen for $300CND on kijiji.
Once they start to go for $250CND used I will snag one.
Old 6th August 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
It would be very interesting to see how the Monologue stacks up against the IK Uno. Their feature sets are roughly similar (except for the micro tuning).

The Uno sounds great for the price... Both of these synths are occupying the same marketplace niche the SH-101 had 35 years ago.
Since this reply, Starsky Carr has made an extremely in-depth video comparing the two:
https://youtu.be/Ms4aCekzd0s

I have the UNO, and as he says, it's great for kind of "polite", vintage analog sounds. You can get slightly more aggressive sounds using the filter drive, but I do wish it had hard sync and/or ring mod since that would expand the sonic palette tremendously.

I'd think the Monologue complements the UNO very nicely. It seems to excel in precisely the areas where the UNO is a bit weak (hands-on control, more aggressive sounds).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by djadonis206 View Post
I just picked up a Monologue last night and came up with these sounds. Super stoked on this little keyboard. It sounds cool

Great sounds and great track.
Old 1 week ago
Old thread, but since I've had a monologue for 5 days now I can chime in. It's my first mono and my first true analog synth, and right now the only hardware synth hooked up in my studio (I'm very ITB).

What I like: the core sound is solid, even without effects. I was debating between this and the Microfreak but couldn't get past the way the MF sounds without effects.

Sound design is fun... it seems limiting at first, but there are lots of little hidden features and tricks that open up lots of possibilities. The limitations encourage outside-the-box thinking, it's not like some synths where you can just lazily throw LFO's and envelopes at your patches with reckless abandon! I've done about 20 sounds on it so far, avoiding the overly glitchy stuff that it comes with... but it can do organic leads, evolving drones, thick buttery basses, playful little sequences, and of course crazy noises.

A few things that are useful:

1) Step sequencer can be used as an additional (complex) LFO

2) Sequencer is velocity sensitive, so if you assign velocity to cutoff, you don't need to waste a motion sequence lane for filter cutoff

3) Lots of little sweet spots that you can hunt for using ring mod, resonance, wave shapes, etc. I guess that's why people love analogs so much.

A few annoyances:
1) Filter cutoff doesn't always track 100% correctly. Power cycling seems to fix it.

2) Filter cutoff tracking ignores the custom microtonal scales, it will always be equal-tempered.

3) Weird random glitches at times... where a patch doesn't sound like it's supposed to, with some parameters off - even when switching to a different patch and back. Or the sequencer simply doesn't play at all. Turning it off and on fixes it.

4) The metal switches are nice but I wish they were buttons instead, with LED's showing the current selection. I can deal with knobs not reflecting the current patch (because they have "catch up" and "scale" modes available), but having the switches all wrong just drives me crazy!! However, if you enable the full info display in GLOBAL settings, it at least puts an asterisk by the setting that was saved with the current patch.

All in all it's a fun little instrument, GREAT sound, and is kind of making me want a Prologue now. But it's a good way of dipping my toes into the water of analog synths to make sure it really fits into my workflow before I get something that takes up much more space (and costs a lot more).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Minilogue XD is the next step if you like the sequencing side, because shockingly all those sequencing tricks are out the window in the Prologue!

Good call on the Filter velocity tip, but have you installed the latest firmwares? I haven't encountered any random glitches like you describe.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree View Post
Minilogue XD is the next step if you like the sequencing side, because shockingly all those sequencing tricks are out the window in the Prologue!

Good call on the Filter velocity tip, but have you installed the latest firmwares? I haven't encountered any random glitches like you describe.
Does the Minilogue XD produces similar Bass patches to the Monologue for example in Unison ? Or is the Monologue more agressive ?
📝 Reply