The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Woody challenged me! Old school hardware vs. software VST showdown Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
Really cool challenge, Espen and Woody! Espen, great track, looking forward to listening to Woody's ITB rendition
Thanks Paulo! I look forward to it too. Love your channel man!
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Paulo back in da house.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Come on. The talk was fun. Besides you have to give it for the original idea. It was way later that an Amiga computer was used for the background graphics. In the early days it was just a rotating cardboard in the background, still all packaged it looked so convincing that we (being young an naive) thought it was a real deal - a computer model.
Maybe I’m older, but I just thought it was too kitschy. Like a fun gimmick for a sketch, but not enough to fuel a series. I was already really into Did you watch the sci-fi series? It still holds up, at least conceptually. I think we’re only just catching up with smart sci-fi tv in shows like Westworld.
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
One thing I’ll say about a lot of 80s production is that I think the advent of big multitrack tape decks (analog and digital) started an trend where every track got eventually recorded in isolation in a dead room. It makes for what I think of as a sterile sounding track with little natural ambience. You lose the magic of a group of musicians performing together.
Well said. When I take a look at some of my all time favourite tracks, many of them were performed by bands, not just individuals.
As for my own music, I like to keep it as "live" as possible (hurray for performance-orientated sequencers!).
Just take a look at Minilogue (some of my modern day heroes), you don't come up with stuff like that in a piano roll and a clip arranger.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I love how this forum is thread after thread of people cutting down each other’s gear choices down, but when I voice an opinion about the banality of most pop music, that’s over the line.
Not all pop music is banal though and some of it holds up well when reinterpreted even by the original artist -

Case in point - A-ha Take one me (never liked the original)

Reworked and performed live nearly 30 years later an it has a totally different meaning and relevance IMHO.

Hard to believe its the same song let alone the same band.
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Not all pop music is banal though and some of it holds up well when reinterpreted even by the original artist -

Case in point - A-ha Take one me (never liked the original)

Reworked and performed live nearly 30 years later an it has a totally different meaning and relevance IMHO.

Hard to believe its the same song let alone the same band.
That’s actually a really good song. Decent words, fairly complex melody. The arrangement is dated, but as you show, the underlying song is strong.

I think maybe my issue with the 80s stems from the time my mom and I moved in with my aunt. The town had banned all dancing and rock music. Some minister guy was all high and mighty, but his daughter.. I got into a big fight with some dudes there and held the prom outside of town. I taught the kids how to dance again, and perhaps how to love.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think maybe my issue with the 80s stems from the time my mom and I moved in with my aunt. The town had banned all dancing and rock music. Some minister guy was all high and mighty, but his daughter.. I got into a big fight with some dudes there and held the prom outside of town. I taught the kids how to dance again, and perhaps how to love.
FootlooseCrossing?
Old 9th April 2018
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Did you watch the sci-fi series?
Yeah but was too young to figure it out. I remember my 6 years older sister was a fan of the show. I was happy to learn they released a DVD set. I might order it this summer.
Old 9th April 2018
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkanah77 View Post
Thanks Paulo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
Paulo back in da house.
Yeah!! Long live Paulo!

Wait!! Who is Paulo?
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Yeah!! Long live Paulo!

Wait!! Who is Paulo?
Oops. Can I blame auto-correct?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search