The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why is it so hard to find a good chorus? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Guru

I’ve had analog and digital choruses. I don’t think I’ve ever thought one technology was better than the other. The Clusterflux was awesome, but so was the chorus in my little Boss VF-1. My Kemper does a great chorus, but so does Oligarc. I don’t have an analog at the moment. Maybe I should? I rarely feel like it’s something I’m missing.
Old 19th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Chorus chorus chorus....
nothing beats the real thing! A box...

The 81 sounds beautifully polished but doesn't really sound like a real analog chorus. Removing some of the high end detail with a LPF could help.

The H8000 sounds a bit closer, but is also very smooth and polished. Perfect for many applications of course.

There's nothing quite like a real BBD. I have a CE-1, SBF-325, and a Dimension D and owned a CE-2 and a t.c. SCF in the past.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Modded Boss CE-300 is the best I've personally owned far. The chorus in the Roland RS-09 is pretty solid, too.

Behringer CC-300 is way better than it should be. The old Arion SCH-1 might not quite live up to the hype it had for a while but it definitely sounds WAY nicer than it should, too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
I don’t agree at all that there is much difference between high quality plugins and digital stompboxes. I can run some tests if you like, I’ve done it a ton of times for my own interests, and the results are always the same. Not 100% winner on either side, but to pretend that there is some magic sauce in the 1’s and 0’s of a little box, vs the 1’s and 0’s in a computer is a bit silly. PLUS, you’re converting your analog signal inside the pedal, and then AGAIN in the computer.

The benefit of the stompbox is that a guitar player doesn’t have to bring a computer and audio interface to a gig, ya know?

I’m serious, I have two digital chorus pedals, two analog chorus pedals, and plenty of chorus plugins. We can have a shootout.

Where I enjoy the stompboxes, is running FX chains like synth —> analog delay with a digital chorus on the wet delay loop. Or, a digital chorus followed by an analog phaser. Or an analog overdrive or fuzz pre or post chorus.

Its not something I can throw together today, but I will. There would have to be some rules as comparing a mono output analog chorus with an 8-voice stereo digital chorus doesn’t make sense. So I’ll only compare like to like, and when necessary, mono will be compared to mono, and stereo to stereo. Give me a couple of weeks to throw it together.
Would be awesome! Any new on this?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Alpes Machines is developing an analog chorus based on a few different 70s and 80s Roland choruses with switchable topologies, so it can cover a lot of the ground of the Dimension D, C300, Juno and maybe one 8f the earlier Rolabd string synth choruses in a single device. I don't know if it will be available prebuilt or if it will be kit only but it sounds like it's going to be good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Also, for digital choruses you could get a Behringer 2024 Virtualizer Pro or an Alesis Wedge, both of which can be had dirt cheap (I've bought one of each for well under $40 shipped on eBay in the last two years and it didn't take any effort to find them at that price, but don't buy a Wedge without the power supply included or you'll end up spending as much on that as you did on the Wedge itself) and both of them are very musically useful. It would be hard to do better at the prices they go for.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
I don't know whatsup.

Why is hard to find a good software chorus compared to a chorus pedal like walrus audio julia or moog mf delay?
I have wondered the same thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
I've been GASing for a Boss CE-2W lately and this thread keeps popping up
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by italo de angelis View Post
Some REALLY GOOD choruses:

Thanks for these examples!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecklessEyeball View Post
I've been GASing for a Boss CE-2W lately and this thread keeps popping up
I don't think you can go wrong for that kind of money.

A real CE-1 is incredible (I have one) and is noticeably warmer/hazier and bigger-sounding but they are expensive, hard to find in decent condition, and difficult to find parts for.

I've already replaced the BBD IC once, which was a nerve-wracking experience because so many MN3002s are counterfeit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search