The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me decide which mellotron
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
The conclusion of this thread is MTron Pro should release a hardware controller (or even better a plugout keyboard).
Old 4th April 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelxd View Post
Can you load mtron samples into the Memotron vis versa? I have Mtron already, thing to see whatโ€™s valuable from the Memotron. The Berlin school expansion looks nice to me
Unfortunately, you can't. They're in a different file format.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronman View Post
Unfortunately, you can't. They're in a different file format.
well he can, but only the older MTron .cpt files will work with the Memotron 2K/2D. but not the MTron Pro files, they won't work. The newer Memotron M2K/2D files are in .MTK format (Matrikon Software License File)
Deleted baa19f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The conclusion of this thread is MTron Pro should release a hardware controller (or even better a plugout keyboard).
It's funny you say this because I totally agree, it would be a WINNER!!!

After watching and listening to these demos and playing my MTron Pro I fantasized about buying a 37 key midi controller and building a white case for it and use it exclusively for the MTron Pro.

This looks perfect to build into a case.
CME Xkey37 LE Mobile MIDI Keyboard (Silver) XKEY37 LE B&H Photo
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
well he can, but only the older MTron .cpt files will work with the Memotron 2K/2D. but not the MTron Pro files, they won't work. The newer Memotron M2K/2D files are in .MTK format (Matrikon Software License File)
I stand corrected. But I also see no benefit if the the old M-Tron and the Memotron already have the same samples.
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
It's funny you say this because I totally agree, it would be a WINNER!!!

After watching and listening to these demos and playing my MTron Pro I fantasized about buying a 37 key midi controller and building a white case for it and use it exclusively for the MTron Pro.

This looks perfect to build into a case.
CME Xkey37 LE Mobile MIDI Keyboard (Silver) XKEY37 LE B&H Photo
This one is missing the top 5 notes. You need a MIDI keyboard that has at least 35 keys starting at G (or lower) and going up almost 3 octaves to the F below the 3rd octave G (4th G).
Old 4th April 2018
I would get a used Nord Electro 5D. Nord has sampled the *F* out of the Mellotron (click sounds banks on the left):
Mellotron | Nord Keyboards

Plus the 5D can do SO much more ;-)
Old 5th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelyulf View Post
I would get a used Nord Electro 5D. Nord has sampled the *F* out of the Mellotron (click sounds banks on the left):
Mellotron | Nord Keyboards

Plus the 5D can do SO much more ;-)
Had an NE5D next to my M2d. After some auditioning I never used the Nord for Mellotron sounds again. Your results may be different.
Old 5th April 2018
Gear Head

I have the Pinder Akai disc & I have been tempted to get a Yamaha MoXF6 with the sample ram and use it as a tron. Seems like that would be a good bang for buck option if I wanted to play from hardware.
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Here's a rare recording that most Mellotron aficionados have never heard. It was produced by Martin Smith of Streetly Electronics. Martin is my go to guy for all things Mellotronic.

Gear Nut

Quote:
Here's a rare recording that most Mellotron aficionados have never heard. It was produced by Martin Smith of Streetly Electronics. Martin is my go to guy for all things Mellotronic.

Just emailed Martin this morning for a quote on a blank frame and a loaded frame. Never a cheap proposition.
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron857 View Post
Just emailed Martin this morning for a quote on a blank frame and a loaded frame. Never a cheap proposition.
Yes, they're extremely expensive. But the current frames are much better than the originals. Did you request EMI tape? It plays well with an M400/MkV.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yes, they're extremely expensive. But the current frames are much better than the originals. Did you request EMI tape? It plays well with an M400/MkV.
I bought a frame and tapes (8 voice choir/string section/brass) when I got 857 10 years ago. The frame is a work of art. At that time I bought a set of replacement tapes for the original frame (cello/violins/flute). I never did replace the originals as they are "the" originals and have such a wonky, vintage character. I'd like to install the replacements on a fresh frame and see how they compare.

I've wanted a fresh frame of 3 new sounds for years. I think Russian male choir/new string section/chamber woodwinds would be fantastic. Then I can die.
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron857 View Post
I bought a frame and tapes (8 voice choir/string section/brass) when I got 857 10 years ago. The frame is a work of art. At that time I bought a set of replacement tapes for the original frame (cello/violins/flute). I never did replace the originals as they are "the" originals and have such a wonky, vintage character. I'd like to install the replacements on a fresh frame and see how they compare.

I've wanted a fresh frame of 3 new sounds for years. I think Russian male choir/new string section/chamber woodwinds would be fantastic. Then I can die.
Russian Choir is very powerful...more so than the 8 Choir. The New String Section is mellower than the original String Section. Chamber Woodwinds is very flutey sounding. The flutes overpower the English Horn/Oboe that they're mixed with.

Some other nice sounds are the Cor Anglais/Oboe Split, Sad Strings, Layered Choir (not on the library website, but can be heard in M-Tron Pro Streetly Vol 3), Birotron Choir and Gothic (for a really powerful string sound with organ bass and 8-Choir).

When I was in the midst of confituring the stations for my 2nd M4000, I used the M-Tron Pro Street volumes to audition the sounds. If you have access to them, it's really helpful.
Old 5th April 2018
Is there any way to get the tangerine dream bet in school sound pack for Mtron? I ordered the m2d, but might return it if it sounds the same as Mtron pro..
Deleted User
Quote:
Is there any way to get the tangerine dream berlin school sound pack for Mtron?
answer in short NO. manikin uses the .mtk format for their memotron sound library discs

Quote:
I ordered the m2d, but might return it if it sounds the same as Mtron pro..
there is every chance it does sound the same, as klaus hoffman-hoock provided sounds for the MTron Pro, as he did the memotron library. you do get some other sounds on the memotron that you can't get on Mtron pro though.
Old 11th April 2018
I ended up with the Memotron M2D, its nice. Im a bit sad its not the full keyboard, but i cant really fit more keys in my studio.
Im still questioning if ill keep it.
I have been A/B'ing the sounds with MTron Pro, some are identical - some sound slightly better on one than the other. Im questioning if i can justify owning the module for such similarities.. I suppose with the Memotron Expansion CD's it might become more worthwhile..

I also like the playability of the tone knob, which is basically a filter - to add expression to the sounds, the same could be achieved with Mtron and a midi controller though...

Tough decisions !
Old 11th April 2018
Deleted 13e7993
Behringer could pull this off if they wanted to, I'm sure....
Old 11th April 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 13e7993 View Post
Behringer could pull this off if they wanted to, I'm sure....
It would be amazing if Uli partnered with plugin makers - a Behringer M Tron pro - with an analog filter just for fun
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 5 years
So the consensus seems that Memotron with Streetly 50th anniversary sounds the best of hardware options, but that Mtron pro is best all around. Does Mtron have the 'heft' of hardware? I'm considering two options, for studio use only: 1) Use Mtron pro, record direct to DAW, use effects loop to run it through some outboard preamps for that tube, transformer, and transistor hardware sound (which can be simulated for single notes in software but not as well for chords), though this has the downside of an additional round of DA/AD conversion, or 2) Use Memotron w/ Streetly collection through the same hardware chain instead.

Which would likely SOUND more like the old records? I realize option 1 is muuuuch cheaper, but I'm looking for tone here.
๐Ÿ“ Reply