The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kurzweil prototype used on original Bladerunner intro Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st April 2018
Here for the gear
Kurzweil prototype used on original Bladerunner intro

A revelatory tape has been unearthed from Vangelis’ old private studio with a pre-master recording of the iconic Bladerunner intro soundtrack. Significantly it shows all the tracks were recorded using an early Kurzweil K250 prototype, not the CS80 and other revered synths as previously thought.

Scrutiny of the tape reveals that the majority of the musical parts and sound effects are in place:

According to Researcher Richard De Card, working for Unico-RN Histories: “Only a single photograph remains of the actual recording, and it clearly shows the presence of the early K250”.

Co-Researcher Andrew Floyd has investigated whether a Kurzweil could have made those epochal sounds: "Unlike later Kurzweil synths, the K250 prototype did not contain VAST - it was already a concept at Kurzweil, but beyond the technology then available. However it did contain Fixed Architecture Synthesis Technology version 1, or FAST-1, and it was this fledgling system that resulted in that wonderful brass sound later attributed to the CS80".

Malc
Attached Thumbnails
Kurzweil prototype used on original Bladerunner intro-studios-blade-synth-setup-m.jpg  
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

1.April.2018.
I like that "Richard De Card"...
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Hahaha. Awesome!

Sounds really great though!
Old 1st April 2018
Tha 1st of April.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Epic first post

Bravo
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Maniac

I laughed... out loud!
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

well done.. bravo.

Old 1st April 2018
Deleted User
Despite knowing which day it is, I got so excited while reading that.

Turns out fake obscure synth history is awesome
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Excellent stuff - had me for a bit.
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Actually, wtf is that keyboard under there?
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

K250.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Maniac

That’s just a sick replica!
Old 1st April 2018
Lives for gear

Very fake news.
Old 1st April 2018
Gear Nut

“Unico-RN”
Love the details
Old 2nd April 2018
Gear Maniac

Would love to know more about how it was done!
Old 2nd April 2018
Nice photoshop. Photo attached from a different angle (photo from here -- Vangelis scoring Blade Runner -- when you click on "3" in the studio layout diagram). The K250 has been 'shopped below the dual-manual keys on the right (Prophet 10, I presume).
Attached Thumbnails
Kurzweil prototype used on original Bladerunner intro-nemo-sound-4c.jpg  
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear
Thanks for the nice comments.

As ED and PoserP said, I moved the Prophet 10 up and slipped in an image of a K250. Thanks to the Nemo Studios uk site where I got the image from. They have a detailed and nicely presented history of the Vangelis-Bladerunner-Studio.
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease View Post
Would love to know more about how it was done!
Blade Runner intro - Instruments/parts breakdown:

In my sound demo (see orig post top) the “K prototype” is really a Kurzweil PC3. It's not a perfect match - levels, missing sounds etc - plus I based it on an old youtube clip which had dialogue. I found a better clip and I’ll be updating my demo. But the hours of analysing and recreating brought loads of discoveries, so I hope this is useful:

The Kurzweil PC361 (no user sample memory) was used for all the instrument parts, so everything was done in VAST using built-in reverb and delays etc. There was no external eq or processing, only multitrack levels.

01 - “CS” style lead - (2 osc, para EQ, 12dB HPF & LPF)

Drones:
02 - Deep rumble - (Pink noise, Para EQ, 12dB LPF)
03 - “Dark Air” drone at start - (Resonant white noise 12dB BPF x6 layers)
04 - “Prophet 10” bass - (12dB HPF & LPF)

Pads:
05 - “Emu” style orchestral strings - (24dB LPF)
06 - "Emu" style tremolo strings - (24dB LPF)
07 - Analog string + hi string - (Para EQ, 6dB LPF)
08 - “String Machine" (A Solina/VP-330 style custom-built model)

09 - “Teardrops” Sine wave style elec piano (Partials1 2, LPF)
10 - “Purity” Sine wave chords - (Partials 1 2 with soft attack)
11 - Female synth voice - (Sinewaves, voice, BPF, Tuned 24dB LPF)

12 - Noise cascades - (Noise + Env mod on 12dB resonant LPF)
13 - Metal Tinkles - (Additive sine waves + AM)
14 - SFX - (Various kurzweil PC3 Kore64 perc samples, lower pitch, LPF)
15 - Jet - ("Fabric synthesis" - combining 10 methods to make a whole)

Sounds built, yet to add to demo:
16 - Tinkle Bells - (More additive sine waves + AM)
17 - Tinkle Clocks - (Yet more additive sine waves + AM)
18 - Timp & Perc - (Built-in samples)

Special Instruments:
19 - "Hammered Dulcimer" - (Additive, subtractive, and shaper - 20 layers)
- The String Machine (see below)

Synthesis detail:
The main sounds of the original are known; lead (CS80), and string machine (VP-330), but of the other sounds I identified I'm guessing the synths; orchestral & tremolo strings (Emulator 1), pure sine wave piano (Rhodes or GS-1?), tinkles (GS-1 or real percussion?), noise cascades & drones (P10, CS80 or JP4?) and analog strings & bass (Prophet 10?). Important to say - whether I got it right or not - that I will use whatever filters sound right on the Kurz; eg a Prophet might demand a 24 dB Lpf, but the great thing about VAST is that you can mould the sound - in this case a Para EQ and 6dB Lpf makes a warmer sound.

The CS lead on the original is quite thin but cuts through, so I reluctantly reduced the lower frequencies on mine. I dont know if I got this right. It so happens that on the Kurz having an Hpf not only cuts bass but gives a more raspy tone. (At some point I would like to get an analog synth to help judge the true warmth of things a bit better). The ‘CS bass’ uses the HighPass filter resonance tuning trick to boost bass. The ‘Dark Air’ drones, in my testing turn out to be multiple resonant noise pitches, probably done by Vangelis by holding down 3 or more keys at the same time, from a single resonant noise source. On the pc3 I layered 8, which sounded good, but I felt this was not in the spirit of the time so I cut them to 3 layers played twice. The Solina model (I haven’t done a proper VP-330) is one of the only sounds I’ve done using the effects section of the PC3 (chorus and phasers) to create the actual sound, since using alpass and notches didnt work for me. For the analog pad and others I used a tuning trick which I will post on my site and the Mastering Vast forum.

Several more tracks were used for doing higher and lower octaves, taking the total to about 24 tracks. The Vangelis original has even more sounds and details, which I will synthesize and add to the updated demo.

Malc
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Excellent post! You really put a lot of work into this demo! Thanks for sharing some tips, I need to experiment with the 6dB filer + EQ combo - the 24dB filter tend to sound a bit sharp and cold so far to my ears.
Old 8th April 2018
Lives for gear

Thank you so much sharing your insights! Very interesting!

I have your Jump sound and I was amazed how you achieved to nail it. Very special algs and fx. Great work!
Old 8th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Amazing dedication and execution! Bangelis should give applause
Old 9th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-folie View Post
Amazing dedication and execution! Bangelis should give applause
"Bangelis", is that a Behringer clone of Vangelis himself?? Wowsah!
Old 9th April 2018
Wanted to add -- this is how one uses VAST. Most excellent, and may more good stuff follow.
Old 9th April 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease View Post
"Bangelis", is that a Behringer clone of Vangelis himself?? Wowsah!
Bangelis clones/replicants will get hunted down.
This Was Not Called Execution. It Was Called Retirement.
(Or maybe Unreliability, though I’m not getting into that…).

Quote:
Originally Posted by poserp View Post
Wanted to add -- this is how one uses VAST. Most excellent, and may more good stuff follow.
Thanks, I hope so. Poserp you are on the frontline, exploring VAST beyond what was even intended (guys check him out on youtube) - I’m just hiding at the back doing nostalgic stuff. VAST is so deep that you can find your own fairly large space and it will still be unique. Its the mixing and matching of AM, FM, additive, subtractive, shaping… even has a transporter beam…

VAST is the Kirk of synthesizers; there’s always a way.

Malc

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search