The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
King Korg Vs System-8
Old 25th June 2018
Lives for gear

I have both of these boards, although my opinion may be premature because I 've only had them for a few months and haven't played them as much as you'd think. For most people, I think the KK is the better value for money. It often sounds as good or better than the Roland and obviously costs less. Both synths are lightweight plastic things that lack after-touch so it's a wash in some areas. But for myself, I'd (reluctantly) sooner let the King go than the S8. The plugouts are close enough to the real deal for my needs to sound good enough. But more than that, the System 8 is more inspiring to me to play on. Part of it's the controls, things are just more fun and ergonomic in System 8 land. Part of it's the color which happens to be my favorite, the green spaceship is very inviting to me. And that leads to more and better music created in my studio.
Old 6th July 2019
Here for the gear

I think you've missed some of the versatility of the System-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Yes I know that. I still don't count that as having two individually assignable LFOs, sorry - so it's still not misinformation. It's still crap since that "second" LFO just modulates the first LFO at a fixed rate offset. It's bull****. And if we're comparing by modulatability, KK flatly wins: 6 modulation matrix slots and two individually assignable LFOs. Period.
Because if you outfit the System-8 w System-100 plug-in and you can have ALL the LFOs. And it's beautiful.

To be clear - playing 2 voices, I can be making use of 4 'distinctly assignable' LFOs - and that's not counting the Expression Pedal (admittedly an optional extra piece of hardware that Expression Pedal). Sure it's 2 per voice, but not bad. (adding the Expression pedal that would be 5 LFOs)

Nice when you mix-n-match engines too.
But hey you can use 2x System-100. And you don't need a spare room of your house/studio to do it.

Example from YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m77E4z7Iw_Y
Old 6th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ McL View Post
I think you've missed some of the versatility of the System-8

Because if you outfit the System-8 w System-100 plug-in and you can have ALL the LFOs. And it's beautiful.

To be clear - playing 2 voices, I can be making use of 4 'distinctly assignable' LFOs - and that's not counting the Expression Pedal (admittedly an optional extra piece of hardware that Expression Pedal). Sure it's 2 per voice, but not bad. (adding the Expression pedal that would be 5 LFOs)

Nice when you mix-n-match engines too.
But hey you can use 2x System-100. And you don't need a spare room of your house/studio to do it.

Example from YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m77E4z7Iw_Y
The System 100 functionality should have been the minimum spec the interface was designed around. Roland really painted themselves into a corner on that one.
Old 6th July 2019
Lives for gear

HOw are the system 100 cables managed on the system 8 ?
Old 6th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
HOw are the system 100 cables managed on the system 8 ?
Mod matrix in the menu system that’s exclusive to the System-100 plugout
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I see this thread has come back to life recently, though I expect the OP has purchased something by now. My own vote would have been that the King Korg WITH Patch Morpher is more interesting than the System 8 (and addresses the menu diving issue), but unfortunately, you can't use Patch Morpher unless you commit to keeping an iPad with iOS 10 around. But if you're at the price of the System 8, I'm with flat, I'd go for the JD-XA. Real analog (plus a VA for when you need more polyphony) and aftertouch put it in another class for me. Unless your interest is specifically in emulating classics, where you might benefit from either the Roland's different loadable emulations, or the Korg's emulation of various specific classic oscillator and filter types. In which case I suppose you could choose based on which 70s characteristics you're most looking to emulate. Though Korg also has the extra benefit as a live performance board, if you need a smattering of rompler sounds too (pianos, etc.).
Old 1 week ago
I finally got a PROLOGUE 8 that had a 40% discount, lol.

Today arrives

IM SOOOOOOOOO ANXIOUS TO TRY IT!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search