The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What makes a sound dated? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Still, people who say "today's music sucks" are the same people who say "I don't listen to today's music." So if we put all of this together, which way is causation pointing?
Because many people hear today's music but they don't like it so they don't listen to it.

Still, i am curious for some 21st century music which is supposed to be great and which is not EDM.
Old 14th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
Because many people hear today's music but they don't like it so they don't listen to it.

Still, i am curious for some 21st century music which is supposed to be great and which is not EDM.
I know that's what you believe. My implication was that because you are not listening, you are not in a position to make great judgements. This of course depends on how much recent music you've encountered, but on the face of it, less exposure means the same thing as more ignorance, and I'd not be surprised to find that you base your assumptions on a very small and inattentive sampling.

But I'm quibbling. The fact of the matter is this: there are more contributors in recorded music today than ever before. Some of this material, rare though it most certainly is by comparison to the whole, is as good music as there ever was. Sure you may not be aware of it. Sure, there is overwhelming quantities of very bland music which mask the good stuff. Sure, the most innovation and interest in contemporary music might be happening in a style you're not interested in or familiar with. Nonetheless, it exists.

No doubt a particular kind of music remains attached to a particular medium, so, for example, it might, arguably be true that the best orchestral music ever written took place between about 1850 and 1950 (though that would be a hotly contested claim in its own right). But in the 21st century we have huge innovation in chamber ensembles with refreshing, wholly novel boundary crossing in that space. So if you were to say "classical music is dead" you'd be dead wrong. Take any medium, and there is a similar story to be told, you just need your blinkers off.
Old 14th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Rinse and repeat...
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks guys, totally confused now
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seccione View Post
'Rave stabs' and that s**t on older grooveboxes sound pretty outdated to my ears.

But even they propably make return some day.
The thing with the old grooveboxes (MC-303, RM1x etc) is that they never sounded good to begin with, despite the very high scores in Future Music. I don't think their sounds were used much even back then, as proper gear was still very cheap at that time. I bought an RM1x when it came out and it's sounds were mostly useless to even a no good hobbyist like me. They sounded 32kbps MP3's, which is probably quite close to the truth, considering they had thousands of sounds crammed into just few megabytes of memory.
Old 23rd April 2018
Lives for gear
To me, A piano or Violin are part of the "Classic" sound. That sound is the start of modern music 100's of years ago.

What make's things dated is the times the sounds were created. Things like Distortion, Digital reverb, effects & synth in general can say the song was created after a specific point in time.

Each generation want a sound different from the parents. 15 years ago, is the song had pitch shifting, you would know this is not something your parents liked.

It's a matter of pop culture.

A good example is the excessive use of Chorus on guitars in the late 80's. It was a new sound at the time, but sure sounds dated now.

Also consider that almost everything was local or national until the internet. So before 1991 people had no idea what was popular in china or Russia or Africa living in the USA. Now people can find out and check it out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin moon View Post
... Does Seastones, the modular album by GD collaborator Ned Lagin sound dated? I'll have a listen to it this weekend.
Well, does it? I expect it does. But that has never prevented Seastones from being just what it is.

Story: Replaced my old tape-of-a-tape of Seastones when I found it on CD ... my wife came home while I was playing it, and asked me if the refrigerator was broken. I answered "No, that's the album I'm listening to"

Anyway: I think "dated" just means whatever becomes overused, and thus tires its audience. The ear craves freshness, and using some new sound in the same way as everyone else becomes monotonous.

Fortunately, "dated" has its plusses for the second-hand market, breeding opportunities for the next ingenious application

Last edited by JPogo; 4 weeks ago at 07:36 AM.. Reason: add return to original topic
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
The thing with the old grooveboxes (MC-303, RM1x etc) is that they never sounded good to begin with, despite the very high scores in Future Music. I don't think their sounds were used much even back then, as proper gear was still very cheap at that time. I bought an RM1x when it came out and it's sounds were mostly useless to even a no good hobbyist like me. They sounded 32kbps MP3's, which is probably quite close to the truth, considering they had thousands of sounds crammed into just few megabytes of memory.
A lot of Indonesian House musicians during the 1990’s and even today had the MC-303s and the like since they were low cost and had the House sounds they wanted.
Example
YouTube
Hear those groovebox and sampler tones for the songs. SP-404 and MC-303 were popular there back then. They were basically Eurodance and Asian pop songs vocals samples sped up and put under the MC-303 sounds.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search