The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Favorite hw reverb for SYNTHS?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
It also depends somewhat on which version of the BlackHole preset you use on the H9000. 5012 is the one that was in the H8000, 9408 is (I believe) ported from the H9, then there's a surround version (#4044) and another preset (#7412) based on the original BH.

Also, if you use shorter percussive type sounds, it doesn't give the algorithm as much material to use to build up that huge wash so that's another way to control the density/impact of the preset.

Wow..I did not know that...and I am not sure I realized the only difference between some of the algorithms' name was the number in front. I assumed BlackHole was the same...regardless of the preset. I have been meaning to go through the Algo manual to read about the differences, but was so busy setting everything up. Definitely need to take time to do that. Thank you for the info!

To be candid...as TYT756 implied, I was going for something more realistic sounding vs the washy heavily modulated stuff. I think the 9408 version was the one on this recording. I was pretty timid on the settings too, with very little mod depth or feedback applied.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamurah View Post
Wow..I did not know that...and I am not sure I realized the only difference between some of the algorithms' name was the number in front. I assumed BlackHole was the same...regardless of the preset. I have been meaning to go through the Algo manual to read about the differences, but was so busy setting everything up. Definitely need to take time to do that. Thank you for the info!

To be candid...as TYT756 implied, I was going for something more realistic sounding vs the washy heavily modulated stuff. I think the 9408 version was the one on this recording. I was pretty timid on the settings too, with very little mod depth or feedback applied.
The main reason I stumbled onto this was that when I first was playing around w. the 9000, I was going through the 9xxx presets and came across that Black Hole version and I was thinking -- "man, this doesn't sound like what I remembered the H8000FW version sounding" so I did some tweaking of settings and things were still not quite the same. (this was before the 9000 Algorithm Guide doc was published).
I pulled out my old 8000 Algorithm guide and used that to find the older versions of BH and some others and was much happier.

The manual says the 94xx presets are from the Space pedal BTW. I loved the H8000 Algorithm Guide because it often gave hints on use, wet/dry mix, special parameter info, etc. The 9000 version continues that tradition somewhat, but downloading the 8000 version may yield more info for you as well.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So not all Blackhole algorithms sound the same? Is there a difference between the Space and the new Blackhole pedal as well?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There is an H9000 thread here on GS that has a video attached comparing Plugin, Pedal, and H9000 variants of the same presets.

To my ears, the Plugin / Pedal versions sound VERY close. On some presets, however, the H9000 has some differences that range from subtle to pronounced.

This may be due to variances in code, or it may be due in part to the signal path differences. To my ears, the H9000 has an extremely clean and HiFi sound to it. The analog signal path has more headroom than the pedals, and the conversion specs outclass the pedals.

Another possibility is the AI developed to port existing algorithms to the ARM chips used on the H9000. Since the porting is not a 1:1 operation, each algo needed to be tuned by ear. Given there were thousands of them to be re-coded, Eventide developed an AI program to 'listen' to the outputs and make comparisons to existing hardware / software.

I view this as a 'work in progress' that will likely take some time to finalize. Probably not what someone that wanted an EXACT duplicate of an algo from an H3000 wants to hear...but also probably best to manage expectations. Having never owned a previous Eventide product...I really don't have much to compare or complain about.
📝 Reply