The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg SQ1 USB ground noise Modular Synthesizers
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Korg SQ1 USB ground noise

So I have an issue with the sq1. It seems if you use it as a standalone or use cv it's fine. But if I hook it up cv to my ms20 or any other synth and use the USB so I can at least have it sync it puts out ground noise. I've seen other people mention this issue as well. It's cool to play with but makes it a bit useless if I want to use it on an already started track without using the korg phone app to set tempo and then line it up myself after. I'm running my synths through great river and API pres, with a apogee Rosetta and that's it. Already checked all cables, have a clean power source. Swapped cables.

Anyone else have this issue if they use USB while it's connected to a synth?
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear

Long shot but have you tried putting a USB hub between the pc and the SQ-1? Sometimes that can clean up USB noise, especially a powered hub.
Old 20th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
Long shot but have you tried putting a USB hub between the pc and the SQ-1? Sometimes that can clean up USB noise, especially a powered hub.
Actually I haven't. I don't have one laying around but could get one from my work for $4 and try it. It's fine plugged into a wall wart or anything else. Just plugged into a computer is the issue. If you wiggle it around it wil go from bad to not as bad, but of course any ground noise it not tolerable at all. Good idea though
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
but of course any ground noise it not tolerable at all. Good idea though
If it's that lovely 60Hz hum and you are tuned to A=434 then you could write all of your songs in the key of B (well, just flat of that) and the hum will fit right in. Call the album Mains Drone.
Old 21st March 2018
Lives for gear
I'm not around my Mac right now. But it seems after testing more last night this is only a ground loop when I plug the sq1 into cv on a synth with USB at the same time. Not doing both together no hum. If I just plug it in to the USB with instruments not plugged in via cv to it...no noise. I tried the cut the black ground wire trick and shield on a USB but no luck.

So idea...what if I plug the the sq1 in via USB. And then I already have my midisport running midi out from abelton to my ms20. If I set up an external instrument and set sq1 as the midi and the source as my ms20 running through my midi sport Bmidi channel..would this work. Pretty much skipping cv all together. I know the sq1 is limited so not sure. I've had the sq1 control virtual instruments so seems like it may work this way with midi to analog

Honestly just trying to find a use for this or maybe I'll have to sell it and purchase a keystep instead
Old 21st March 2018
Gear Addict

I had the same issue. IMO the only useable way to sync it is using a clock trigger. You can still use usb for power (using a phone charger), but it can't be connected to a computer.
I successfully used Elektron Rytm and MFB Tanzbär to trigger it. There is a hidden function you have to enable on the SQ-1, I don't remember how exactly (google it) but it changes the clock sync to advance only 1 step per trigger instead of dividing the clock to multiple steps per trigger.
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Nut

i get a clicking noise from the gate out
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

You can use iZotope RX to remove the noise from the recording. Just feed it's Spectral De-noizer some of the pure noise then set it to work. RX is a bit of a miracle worker.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_ View Post
I had the same issue. IMO the only useable way to sync it is using a clock trigger. You can still use usb for power (using a phone charger), but it can't be connected to a computer.
I successfully used Elektron Rytm and MFB Tanzbär to trigger it. There is a hidden function you have to enable on the SQ-1, I don't remember how exactly (google it) but it changes the clock sync to advance only 1 step per trigger instead of dividing the clock to multiple steps per trigger.
Someone on another forum described doing this:
Record some audio from the SQ-1's sync out, trim it to make one pulse. Put that pulse into a sampler then fire it every 1/4 note. Feed that to the SQ-1's sync in.
Is that what you mean by clock trigger?

Last edited by Kroy; 1 day ago at 09:12 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

The ground noise problem is solved by using a powered USB hub. I bought a Belkin 7 port powered hub and now the SQ-1 syncs to logic via USB and there is no ground noise from the synth it's driving. To sync SQ-1 to Logic choose 'SQ1-STRL' in File menu/Project Settings/Synchronisation/MIDI/Destination. Only works when Logic is NOT in cycle mode, so necessary to copy several minutes of repeated patterns to jam along with.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Have to say that when I used powered USB hub called Defender Hi-speed 4 port, it lowered the volume of the ground noise, but haven't eliminated it completely.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search