Old 15th March 2018
Gear Nut

No new Access Virus any time soon

See video from Mr Kemper himself.

YouTube

However I’m happy with the state of things as it is
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Nut

I hope that Mr Kempers words are true and that they will revisit the keyboard market in the future.

I sold my Virus TI off recently which I'd owned since 2007 it was a great synth and a workhorse and built like a tank but I'd grown tired of the sound of it in recent times and have no regrets on flipping it,they had added so much to it over the years in updates that was partly why I had kept it for so long plus the fact that as far as VA go you can't really get better than the Virus Line.

The TI line was crippled though with problems with the Audio/Plug in side of things,although Access kept releasing OS Updates and such,it would never function as it should do without any issues of compatibility or dropouts and things,thankfully I never used it other than standalone so didn't really experience those frustrations but I could see how it would annoy many,I guess the Virus TI had run its course hence why they've left it by the wayside,although in its current OS its still a cracking synth.

Maybe in the distant future if they release a successor to the TI line then I would perhaps look at another Virus Purchase,The TI line is still a desirable synth for any setup though.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dieppe View Post
as far as VA go you can't really get better than the Virus Line.
You can. -> Solaris.
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Head

Interesting info, thanks for the video.

As he mentioned, the new Virus will not happen these days. I do not expect any new Virus in the next 2-3 years, they certainly let it run out until the DSP technology Virus uses will not be available anymore, which is about 2020 in case of the NXP 56321 chips.
Old 16th March 2018
Im sellin my virus too many latency issues with my prefrence of daw. Fl studio 2020 the final frontier
Old 16th March 2018
Gear Maniac
I'd like to thank that guy for the Virus A, one of my favorite synths
Old 16th March 2018
Deleted 1c8d41a
Virus = Strongest ARP I've used. Love the ARP on the thing.

Here's one of my first tunes done with the Ti2 Desktop. I had nothing but problems with it on a Mac Mini. Got a macbook pro, quad core, 16G ram and configured the USB ports properly and had no issues with it.

Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorse View Post
Im sellin my virus too many latency issues with my prefrence of daw. Fl studio 2020 the final frontier
According to a user @ gs you have to connect a spdif cable from the virus to your soundcard to fix the latency and the arp, although I was unable to test this myself because I'm travelling.
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Old 16th March 2018
Gear Maniac
Old 17th March 2018
@ NEXUS-6: hahahaha fantastic

incidentaly ive been re-visiting Virus B these days, via friend's unit that i borrowed for a while. so far i'm liking the ambient drone/pad capabilities the best. filter is fantastic, perhaps the best VA filter of that era. ok the trancey and 303ish presets, with that late 90s agressive streak, sound tad dated but still usable in a mix.

but there is much more to this machine than presets. continuing my testing ,, to see what i come up with,, and decide if i want one
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Please stop conflating usb/daw issues with the virus sound engine. The TI concept has nothing to do with the engine. Just don't use it in a plugin.
The hardware interface is pretty great as it is. The sound is superb.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

My snow (total integration) is finally stable after all these years.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

so sad, didn’t they make enough money to hire a couple of engineers to create a new virus?
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Too bad no new version is in the horizon. I'm glad I just got another Virus TI2, the Polar version this time. I've got the desktop from before.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

You can never have enough viruses
Already gave a snow and a polar and will be adding a 61 key soon.
The more virus voices the better
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherun View Post
so sad, didn’t they make enough money to hire a couple of engineers to create a new virus?
Virus seems to be a mature and finished product. I dont hear about things that should be improved or bugs that need fixing.

We see loads of re-issues of old gear these days. Why not just keep a model thats successfull and bugfree in the first place?

As long as no one names bad things, there is no need to have a new Virus.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Virus seems to be a mature and finished product. I dont hear about things that should be improved or bugs that need fixing.

We see loads of re-issues of old gear these days. Why not just keep a model thats successfull and bugfree in the first place?

Exactly the way I think
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

The opposite of what I think.

It's beyond mature, it's 13! years old.

The TI concept is pretty much hit and miss in terms of stabilty and compatibility.

The sound engine is outdated compared to Nord A1, Radikal Accelerator and Solaris.

Once the DSP goes out of production, I hope Access will nail it with a new version.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Still loving and utilizing my Virus KC and have a KB in a road case for posterity and may gift it to a random kid soon. Great build quality and keybed is best it gets for me.

I would love if Kemper/Access collaborated with Waldorf, and Jorg over at Radikal Technologies to make an all German Monster when the digital revolution restarts and leaves the analog in dust again.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'd like to see the profiling tech applied to synths.
UI would be tricky but you'd have a synth that could emulate anything.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinkle View Post

The TI concept is pretty much hit and miss in terms of stabilty and compatibility.

The sound engine is outdated compared to Nord A1, Radikal Accelerator and Solaris.

Once the DSP goes out of production, I hope Access will nail it with a new version.
Minimoog is 50 years old and still gets re-issued. Age of concept? Not really a point.

In what way do you think the engine is outdated compared to those other VA's? Why is Virus still seliing more than all of these 3 together?

If there ever comes another Virus, i hope the TI is the first thing on the chopping block.
Old 17th March 2018
I’m not well educated regarding code and DSP stuff, but it is my understanding that most of our favorite VA’s contain DSP chips which are almost gone, and won’t be made anymore. So sounds like whatever comes next will have to be made from the ground up.

Waldorf has shown the way. Touch screens in general, are way less expensive than they used to be, and I can see a future where most, if not all synths have one as the heart and brains of system. Still plenty of knobs and sliders for many functions, but all modulation, modifier, saving, patch naming, and global functions & menus will be on the touch screen. Oh! And the sequncer, a poly sequncer with step modulation would be much easier and more fun to program on a touch screen.

The other area where we have seen a change is in semi-modularity, or adding patch points to synths. While it is less common in digital HW, and not any polys that I can think of have them, I don’t see why not? Some of the coolest oscillators in eurorack are entirely digital, and sound excellent, doing audio rate phase/freq/thruzero/amplitude modulation. If its too complex for poly, then have the patch panel only work in mono mode for a single or unison voice, leaving the other voices unpatchable in a multitimbral setup.

The other thing I’d like to see addressed is this idea that we all want our digital oscillators to be anti-aliasing. No we don’t. Or at least give us the option to turn the anti-alias filtering on or off.

The FX engine should have busses with send return channels, giving me the chance to chain fx on the busses and eq the send/return channels.

I really dig Alchemy. I know it’s Logic only now, and that’s a bummer to non-Logic peeps, but it is an excellent synthesizer. Alchemy, and others like Synthmaster give you options in terms of basic VA waveforms. So instead of just “saw wave” you can choose a Mini saw, an Arp saw, a JP8 saw, etc., and the same with filters. Processing power has come a long way, as it usually does, and there isn’t any reason all of these oscillator and filter models can’t be included.

The next Virus, or Virus-like synth should also be a full blown sampler. I should be able to make a crazy patch, record it to the HD, and then sample manipulate/granularize it to hell and back without ever needing a computer involved. Audio editing can be done right on the touch screen. Your audio files saved to a folder on the synth.

Last but not least, where is the innovation? Where are the new ways of creating sounds? Are we settled on subtractive, FM, and wavetable forever? Even granular has been around and not much has been done with it. Mutable Instruments made a euro module a few years back called “Elements”. Can make the most beautiful and crazy sounds, but I couldn’t help but think, this would make an awesome poly synth. So how about a physical modelling engine? Kind of like the goofy wooden physical modelling synth without MIDI?

I realize that this is a lot, and would be costly, but it is simply the nature of things to get bigger and add more. Not sure what else could be done to advance the premium VA gold standard. I mean, the Solaris sounds amazing, but when you look at those LCD screens and buttons, it appears kind of dated in a way. I also realize that what I’m essentially asking for is a soft synth in HW form. Yeah....that’s basically it. A big beautiful, excellent sounding, complex, software synthssizer in a box, with a fatar keybed, and some kind of analog compressor/distortion at the output. Okay, snuck that last part in there.

I’m available for consultation, Access. If Access, Waldorf, & Urs Heckmann get together, we can get this done. Just check in with me at our staff meetings bi-weekly, and I think we can make this happen. We could call it the “Virtual Germanalog”. My grandmother is half German so I guess that makes me 1/8th. Close enough.
Old 17th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can. -> Solaris.
Awesome synth, and I'm sure it can go places the Virus can't. However, I'm fairly certain the opposite is true. Neither can replace the other. Nothing obsoletes the virus, IMO.

I can pull 100 ace sounds out of my Virus TI, in minutes. Here are some just for this thread:

It can even get genre specific. Remember my old post about videogame sounds?

Videogame sounds

EDIT: My mono youtube link is now stereofied. Sounds heaps better. Maybe not quite Solaris quality, but better than it was.

Last edited by Scoopicman; 18th March 2018 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Replaced mono youtube link
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

My response was to "you can't get really any better than the Virus line", not about which synth obsoletes which other. By "any better", of course, what is considered is overall sound quality. With that in mind, Virus is not the best of VA, at all. Solaris is, for a number of reasons (96k processing, oscillators not as heavily bandlimited as a consequence, better modelled filters, better modulation (also audiorate), etc.).
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
My response was to "you can't get really any better than the Virus line", not about which synth obsoletes which other. By "any better", of course, what is considered is overall sound quality. With that in mind, Virus is not the best of VA, at all. Solaris is, for a number of reasons (96k processing, oscillators not as heavily bandlimited as a consequence, better modelled filters, better modulation (also audiorate), etc.).
Sound quality wise I can agree a bit the Solaris is more high fidelity than the virus.
However once it comes to ease of use and getting to what you want fast nothing beats the virus in my opinion and for me personally.
Virus does depend a great deal on its effects to get it sounding ‘’good’’‘ but once it sounds good it really sounds good.
And for ease of use it’s simply the best VA.
All personal opinion.
Old 17th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:

Nord lead A1 is not even close to a virus......
It’s also a totally different synth.
It’s like comparing a monologue to a Matrixbrute
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Minimoog is 50 years old and still gets re-issued. Age of concept? Not really a point.

In what way do you think the engine is outdated compared to those other VA's? Why is Virus still seliing more than all of these 3 together?

If there ever comes another Virus, i hope the TI is the first thing on the chopping block.
I think digital synths have evolved since the release of the virus TI. Oversampling and anti-aliasing for example. You don't have this problem with an analog synth.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratplan View Post
Nord lead A1 is not even close to a virus......
It’s also a totally different synth.
It’s like comparing a monologue to a Matrixbrute
I can agree that the color and features are different, not close in other words. But in terms of sound quality which is what I'm talking about, the A1 wins, and that is what Access needs to update.
Old 17th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopicman View Post
Awesome synth, and I'm sure it can go places the Virus can't.
It definitly will.
And it should, after all it costs 2,5 times the money of a Virus (in Europe) and is made in small batches. Advance deposit too. Thats what kept me at bay before Quantum was announced.

Quote:
I think digital synths have evolved since the release of the virus TI. Oversampling and anti-aliasing for example.
Last time i checked the sound even of its predecessors was very popular and aliasing wasnt a problem at all.

You didnt convince me here. I stick to "if it aint broken, dont fix it"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search