The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Arturia keystep V2 what are your thoughts..? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Guru

If an Arturia keystep V2 what are your thoughts..?

Really love the keystep but as a community maybe we could pull together and ask Arturia for a V2 with bigger better features..?

I would like full sized keys and 4 octaves
Multiple cv/gate outs
Multiple MIDI ins and outs
a couple of assignable knobs for DAW use.
Black in colour.

anyone else..?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Clever layers or splits so you can stack loads of synths or split bass and pads

Sequencer which you can use the layers or splits, with different lengths per split?

Scales & modes so you could make certain notes wrap up or down, or just not sound.

Larger keyboard

Assignable Encoders with a ribbon like on jp8000 (variable amounts, so full range of ribbon could be 0-127 cutoff and 20-50 resonance and 10-80 decay etc) with hold.

Maybe ribbon can be long across the keyboard length above the keys. Pressure sensitive?

There's a few cool ideas
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I think it's a bad title that makes people think a Keystep 2 exists.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Built in polyphonic voice distribution over MIDI. Basically like Polymer built into the Keystep.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
I think it's a bad title that makes people think a Keystep 2 exists.
I knew it wasn't a gear announcement because it didn't say "BAZINGA??!!" at the end.
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Really love the keystep buy as a community we could pull together and ask Arturia for a V2 with bigger better features.

Multiple cv/gate outs
Black in colour.

anyone else..?
Count me in. I've already got 3 KeySteps, two in black. Love it that much and find it very useful for everything from modular to Boutiques to my Peak.

But if they made it, I'd hope they'd add a small display, primarily for the sequencer. I've never figured out what I'm doing wrong, but for almost any sequence of full length or complexity, I need to resort to the MIDI Center software. And even that is frustrating because it's often not WYSIWYG, especially ties. My hope would be that a small step-by-step display would make it easier. Oh, and a metronome click.

I can imagine such a thing being my controller of choice.
Old 14th March 2018
I wish there was a way start the arpeggiator without hitting the start button which triggers the internal sequence to start playing which is annoying. As it is the first sequence has to be empty as to not trigger that as well when playing arps.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I wish there was a way start the arpeggiator without hitting the start button which triggers the internal sequence to start playing which is annoying. As it is the first sequence has to be empty as to not trigger that as well when playing arps.
yeah I don't like that either, I don't like that it immeadiatley starts playing even with no keys pressed when sycn'd to external MIDI, be nice if it did nothing until you pressed keys, also a switch that was ARP, seq and 3rd selection which is neither just so you can play pads and mess about when it's sync'd to external gear.
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
yeah I don't like that either, I don't like that it immeadiatley starts playing even with no keys pressed when sycn'd to external MIDI, be nice if it did nothing until you pressed keys, also a switch that was ARP, seq and 3rd selection which is neither just so you can play pads and mess about when it's sync'd to external gear.
I agree with the third switch position also. It might be asking for a little too much but I was just thinking about how convenient it would be to have a few knobs for cc assignments.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Sounds like we all want a marriage between a Pyramid/Cirklon/Engine and a master controller.

Sign me up.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

I have 2 BSPs and 3 Keysteps in my setup. Having multiples is where it's at

The one thing I would really love would be polychain out. A simple knob for how many Synths your polychaining then enough midi ports or CV to hook them all up
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Guru

What about a 16 track polyphonic sequencer, one per MIDI chan..?
poly aftertouch.

option to be battery powered..?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

It needs to be able to do sysex. I'm sick of midi controllers not having sysex assignable knobs, pads and sliders.
Old 14th March 2018
Deleted User
Quote:

Black in colour.

anyone else..?
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

8 CV/Gate outputs
8 velocity outputs
8 aftertouch outputs
2 mod wheels/strips with dedicated CV outs
Clock CV in/out
Ribbon controller + cv out
4 octave keyboard.
Polyphonic note distribution over CV and Midi.
8 track sequencer allowing different track lengths.
8 track modulation sequencer (using aftertouch/velocity cv outs) with track mutes for the aftertouch/velocity lanes.
Two 'data entry' sliders to draw in CC or CV automation to sequencer tracks.

The most beastly CV keyboard of all time.
With all the CV-able synth modules being released, and Arturia's new rackbrute, i think people would like something like this.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

First of all; i think the keystep is great value for the money.
I definitely would be interested in a V2.

But allow me to ask you Keystep users a question.
I experience issues on my unit with tied notes;

For example ; if I record a sustained chord in realtime mode the sequencer record al the steps but they are not always tied. I have to edit this (tie the notes) in the midi control center in the software. But I have to edit it a couple of times and load it in the Keystep until it’s 100 correct. Its workable , but a bit annoying.

I encounter the same Issue when I record it in step entry mode. But it seems to be less of an issue there. I prefer real-time input btw.

In short, everything works like it should except the tie function seems a bit buggy (on my unit, not saying this is a bug.)

And yes I RTFM.

Anyone else encounter similar issues? I bought this the day it came out so maybe I have a bad unit, I doubt tbh cause this seems software based and I’m on the latest firmware and did a factory reset.

Sorry to go a bit OT dear Fiddlesticks.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Guru

no probs we are all here for the discussion..
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Cheers.
You have no problems with sustained notes or chords on your ks?
To go a bit more in detail.. If I play and record sustained chords in the sequencer the notes are almost never tied between step 1 and 2 or the first 2 steps from the next chord etc.. Maybe user error or bad playing.. you never know. I'm not a pro but I know how to press a key for long chords or leads lol. Editing this in the software works but sometimes I have to do load it a couple of times into the ks untill its ok.
See pic. Gab between step 1 and 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Arturia keystep V2 what are your thoughts..?-15210500060144488848609131269262.jpg  
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Cheers.
You have no problems with sustained notes or chords on your ks?
To go a bit more in detail.. If I play and record sustained chords in the sequencer the notes are almost never tied between step 1 and 2 or the first 2 steps from the next chord etc.. Maybe user error or bad playing.. you never know. I'm not a pro but I know how to press a key for long chords or leads lol. Editing this in the software works but sometimes I have to load it a couple of times into the ks untill its ok.
See pic. Gab between step 1 and 2.
Old 14th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobio View Post

Anyone else encounter similar issues?
Yes, it's a common issue. It is not a problem with your hardware. As I mentioned above, note lengths and ties are problematic with the KeyStep, both through the controller itself or when you try to use the software. It usually takes multiple attempts.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

I love the size and feel of the keys and it would be great to have more of the same. A four octave version with those keys in the same form factor would only be about 26" wide. It would be the perfect desktop keyboard.

It would be great to be able to have separate cv outs for velocity, AT, mod, instead of having to choose just one.

The sequencer is a nice useful little freebie but when I start to think about what I would want added, it makes more sense to me for Arturia to make the ultimate CV sequencer as a separate thing without keys. Or just keep it simple. Make it 3 or 4 tracks, selectable with a knob, no screen necessary. Or keep it a single track but let the sequencer record AT, pitchbend, mod as well.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

I like the current Keystep overall but the keys really let it down they feel too slidey and too small. So a version 2 for me would either be large 49 keys or keys like the KARP which feel heaps better. The modulation slider on the current version catches me out sometimes and so I would prefer a wheel or at least some indication of where it is at positionally.
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Main problem for me so far is the lack of actual wheels for the pitch and mod.
Especially the pitch
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoshores View Post
I like the current Keystep overall but the keys really let it down they feel too slidey and too small. So a version 2 for me would either be large 49 keys or keys like the KARP which feel heaps better. The modulation slider on the current version catches me out sometimes and so I would prefer a wheel or at least some indication of where it is at positionally.
That's funny I find the Keystep keys better than the KARP.

& yeh the Mod catches me out.

I think I'm going to get a second one though. It wouldn't be hard to for them to implement 4 voice MIDI Poly distribution in a firmware update.

I like how small it is, more/bigger keys kills the portability.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle View Post
I like how small it is, more/bigger keys kills the portability.
Yeah the size and price are kind of the whole point. And the action is so much better than for example the Korg nanokeys.

Pitch and Mod strips are so much better than wheels though because you can jump to any position instantly and do momentary modulations, trills, etc. that are impossible to do on wheels.

It would be nice if they were the same height as the keys though. The knobs and buttons up top could all slide over to the right, the buttons above the strips could move up, and the strips could be an extra inch or so taller which would help a lot with accuracy.
Old 15th March 2018
Quote:
Really love the keystep but as a community maybe we could pull together and ask Arturia for a V2 with bigger better features..?

Multiple cv/gate outs
Black in colour.

anyone else..?
i agree with all of the above. i've done a few gigs with keystep, and here's my additional 2 cents:

+ a few long throw sliders (at least four) should be assignable to:
  • midi cc of choice, with settings for range (for example 45-127) and polarity (127-0 etc)

• additional cv outputs - as dc voltage source, again with software setting of range and polarity:
    0V - 5V, -5V - 0V, -5V - 5V (i.e. bi-polar). this way you could control some crucial parameters in your modular from this "centerpiece" unit, like VCAs, offsets etc. (basically it comes with two TriATTs installed, that double duty for midi cc.)

• NRPN MIDI parameters

+ id also like an easily accesible front panel control for clock divider/multiplier on output

+ more advanced sequencer with glide per step, some visual feedback, advanced pattern change (xox style) and other tricks

+another expression pedal input, so we can have both exp and sustain sw

and finally two IMO most important things missing on orig Keystep:

+ faster processor so there is no inherent micro-slew bug on notes - esp noticeable when doing bigger interval jumps

+ at least 64 sequencer patterns. 6 patterns is a fking joke

basically a Keystep Pro . i'd gladly pay twice or triple the price. and buy two of these immediately if they existed.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Guru

the whole idea/concept behind the keystep is so practical/great it's a wonder it wasn't concieved earlier. Confident we can se a pro or V2 version within 12 months, maybe other brands will step up and make something similar too.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsaintjohn View Post
Yes, it's a common issue. It is not a problem with your hardware. As I mentioned above, note lengths and ties are problematic with the KeyStep, both through the controller itself or when you try to use the software. It usually takes multiple attempts.
Ok. Thx. Didn't saw your previous post apparently.

Strange there aren't more complaints about this?
Do most people just program 1/16 melodies and basslines or what.? Hehe...
Now that I know I'm not alone I will consider to contact Arturia. It would be great if this worked properly cause its a vibe killer imo.

I would definitely consider a v2 but not if it had the same issues with tied notes etc.

Also strange they didn't fix it in an update?
Not gonna happen anymore I guess?
Anyway I paid 100€ so can't complain that much lol.
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleyas View Post

8 CV/Gate outputs
8 velocity outputs
8 aftertouch outputs
2 mod wheels/strips with dedicated CV outs
Clock CV in/out
Ribbon controller + cv out
4 octave keyboard.
Polyphonic note distribution over CV and Midi.
8 track sequencer allowing different track lengths.
8 track modulation sequencer (using aftertouch/velocity cv outs) with track mutes for the aftertouch/velocity lanes.
Two 'data entry' sliders to draw in CC or CV automation to sequencer tracks.

The most beastly CV keyboard of all time.
With all the CV-able synth modules being released, and Arturia's new rackbrute, i think people would like something like this.
I think the reason everybody has a KeyStep (or two) is because they serve a purpose and are dirt cheap.

What you're proposing would be considerably more expensive, and ultimately less "impulse buy" for the masses. Not saying it wouldn't be cool. Just probably wouldn't be a "hit" for them.
Old 15th March 2018
Gear Nut

Yep Clusterchord, call it the Keystep Pro.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search