The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
acid heads - pro-co rat2 yes or no? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

acid heads - pro-co rat2 yes or no?

yes i know the version 1 was a classic but i only just looked at the price of this thing and i was surprised, seems very reasonable considering how many times i have heard it's predecessors name.

my question to owners of the model 2: is it great, ok or just good for the money? my moog drive is pretty gnarly at full tilt but i imagine this has the tone that is more suited to a 303 line?

cheers

as an example here's the Moog on a simple line from zero to max from saw thru to square and back so will i get more or less is my question?

Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

The way the rat interacts with the 303 accent (especially the square wave) is the thing - there's magic there. You'd probably need to test that for a better comparison.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

i think there are far better alternatives out there than hunting some vintage pedals. and tbh, i would just get a few drive pedals, and don't forget to try some dedicated bass pedals as well. there's some with separate drive control for low and high frequencies. distortion moved on quite a bit from the 80s/early 90s and i would look into having something like a gated fuzz, a classic overdrive and also a full on metal distortion with a wide range of distortion control and expansive eq. there's more to interesting acid than just sticking the same old recipe of rat or mxr dist on top of a glidey resonance bass line. you don't need to go overboard with buying boutique pedals. lots can be had for under 100, and more around the 50 euro mark, especially if hunting used. beauty with pedals is that there are always tons of them out there, especially distortion, as guitarists are on a perpetual hunt for the perfect drive combination (i should know, as i've spent the last 15 years buying and selling stuff to achieve it )
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

You’ll be fine with the Rat 2. Male sure you use a reamping box.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

well i was going to rely on SW but i am now against that idea due to how i want to build my portable setup specifically for acid, i have a couple of different distortion/drive FX to keep the sound different and i know my moog very well, i have got a blues driver on the way to test and also a behringer clone of something but just looking for something a little more twangy hence the rat question, as always Seb your answer is decent
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
You’ll be fine with the Rat 2. Male sure you use a reamping box.
oh it can't take a straight out then?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

For my acid boxes, I have the following pedals:
Bad Monkey
Boss SD-1
MXR Distortion+
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict
I run my Avalon straight into a Rat with no issues and it works great.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
i want to build my portable setup specifically for acid
Mate, you have a new wean - unless it's to transport your PORTABLE ACID RIG around the Mother and Baby Groups of Liverpool, then you need to have a good look at yourself
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh it can't take a straight out then?
You can go straight in but you won’t get much range from the knobs and won’t get many subtle tones from it .It will go from not enough to too much pretty fast.
It sounds better and you get a wider range of tones (you can get usable sonds from the knobs full range) if you feed it signals at the correct impedance. Same with most pedals.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
Mate, you have a new wean - unless it's to transport your PORTABLE ACID RIG around the Mother and Baby Groups of Liverpool, then you need to have a good look at yourself
i'm not from Liverpool ya daft begger
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm not from Liverpool ya daft begger
I thought it used to say that in your profile
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can go straight in but you won’t get much range from the knobs and won’t get many subtle tones from it .It will go from not enough to too much pretty fast.
It sounds better and you get a wider range of tones (you can get usable sonds from the knobs full range) if you feed it signals at the correct impedance. Same with most pedals.
interesting, never noticed anything missing/weird on the moog and it is a pretty gradual increase as can be heard above, i actually assumed they would all act the same and am new at using guitar pedals, TBf i have never plugged a guitar in it either so i have no idea of how subtle it should be

so you reamp before the fx box to drop everything down but then it's output will be low for my mixer input surely unless reamped back up? if so that is a bit more of a faff than i can be arsed with

edit: ill go look at this proper i think
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno View Post
I thought it used to say that in your profile
bloody hope not, unless those chinese russians hacked me again
Old 13th March 2018
I love the Rat 2! I use it on the sub 37 and a parallel send in Ableton. It's great and the tone is awesome
Old 13th March 2018
I have had the best luck with distortion/fuzz pedals that are specifically for bass. Even if it’s not a bass line per se, but maybe something with fundamentals in the low-mids, regular distortion/fuzz pedals suck some low end meat, instantly when activated.

Bass pedals are designed to focus in on lower frequencies, typically have a wet/dry, and sometimes filters. Recently got a EHX Big Muff Bass Deluxe and its sounds pretty damn good.

If you gotta have the Rat, then you can always get a blend pedal, or work out some sort of send-return with a mixer. Isn’t there some sort of Rat version for bass? I believe it’s called the Juggernaut.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

MXR Distortion+ is the way to go with an actual TB-303 or transistor matched x0xbox. the Rat is nice, but the range is limiting and i swear their is a pronounced freq roll-off at max smoke acid squelch.
Old 13th March 2018
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
MXR Distortion+ is the way to go with an actual TB-303 or transistor matched x0xbox. the Rat is nice, but the range is limiting and i swear their is a pronounced freq roll-off at max smoke acid squelch.
+1 Hardfloor stylee. Yum.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

so you reamp before the fx box to drop everything down but then it's output will be low for my mixer input surely unless reamped back up? if so that is a bit more of a faff than i can be arsed with
Normally you’d use a d.i.box or preamp to bring the signal back to line level.
If your going into a mixer you could maybe use a channel with mic pre.
One of my soundcards ( focusrite pro26 )has 2 channels switchable between line and instrument levels channels. It’s like a d.i. box and pre amp in one.Thats what I’m using for now with a couple pf palmer daccapo reamping boxes that people say are as good or better than some of the more expensive radial stuff.
If you chain pedals you only need one reamping box at the start of the chain and one d.i. or preamp at the end.
It doesn’t seem to harm my workflow as it's just an extra couple of cables to hook everything up and it’s pretty much set and forget.
They are well worth the investment. You get a wider range of pedals to choose from and you can get a wider range of sounds from the pedals.
Old 13th March 2018
Geariophile

Quote:
One of my soundcards ( focusrite pro26 )has 2 channels switchable between line and instrument levels channels. It’s like a d.i. box and pre amp in one.Thats what I’m using for now with a couple pf palmer daccapo reamping boxes that people say are as good or better than some of the more expensive radial stuff.
If you chain pedals you only need one reamping box at the start of the chain and one d.i. or preamp at the end.
It doesn’t seem to harm my workflow as it's just an extra couple of cables to hook everything up and it’s pretty much set and forget.
They are well worth the investment. You get a wider range of pedals to choose from and you can get a wider range of sounds from the pedals.
Jonesing for a Radial EXTC-SA. That is THE tool for the job.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
good info cheers fella, my mixer has a +50 gain pre fader on the mic channels so will see what's what from there before i dig out a DI, got a few passive behringer units in the garage from way back, i shall look for a half decent re-amp box for the front end then
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

That looks pretty sweet, Karloff70. never seen it before.
Old 13th March 2018
Geariophile

Quote:
That looks pretty sweet, Karloff70. never seen it before.
hmmmmm, might have to get one. Parallel pedal fun...yum yum.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEK8D View Post
I have had the best luck with distortion/fuzz pedals that are specifically for bass. Even if it’s not a bass line per se, but maybe something with fundamentals in the low-mids, regular distortion/fuzz pedals suck some low end meat, instantly when activated.

Bass pedals are designed to focus in on lower frequencies, typically have a wet/dry, and sometimes filters. Recently got a EHX Big Muff Bass Deluxe and its sounds pretty damn good.

If you gotta have the Rat, then you can always get a blend pedal, or work out some sort of send-return with a mixer. Isn’t there some sort of Rat version for bass? I believe it’s called the Juggernaut.

i had wondered about send and return but seeing as i currently just go straight into the moog i figured that was the easy way to go, not all pedals are equal obviously
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZenx View Post
I love the Rat 2! I use it on the sub 37 and a parallel send in Ableton. It's great and the tone is awesome
so you just use it on a send from a mixer/ableton then or is the 37 out straight to the rat in?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
interesting, never noticed anything missing/weird on the moog
The Moog pedals are made with synths/line levels in mind, whereas most guitar pedals tend not to be.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Just use a mixer channel with a preamp. Those original acid records did not use a re amping set up, lol.

As for the rat imo: get a clone kit with the original chip. They are fairly cheap. It’s a great beginner kit too. Or find someone who will build it for you. The synthrotek kit is excellent. It has a dip switch included for all the subtle differences of the original and other rat pedals as well. Lots of configuration.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
good info cheers fella, my mixer has a +50 gain pre fader on the mic channels so will see what's what from there before i dig out a DI, got a few passive behringer units in the garage from way back, i shall look for a half decent re-amp box for the front end then
Aye, if the mixer pre amp doesn’t sound right one of the Behringers from your garage into a mixer channel will work.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
so you just use it on a send from a mixer/ableton then or is the 37 out straight to the rat in?
I've done both actually! Works well either way, didn't have any problems going direct into the Rat.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

great stuff, thanks all
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search