The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Behringer Pro 1
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
I use the pro one every week on nearly everything and I never even noticed

Im a man who hates the bending of the pitches it seems!
not your regular Jan Hammer then...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just got a Pro-1 today from Thomann. Pitch bend works fine as long as you are holding the note down with the key, but if you set a long release and take your finger off it and try to bend you get this weird low-pitched sound. Completely unusable in this way. Can anyone confirm their Pro-1 DOESN'T do that? Not sure what CV issue there are? Have been using mine only with USB MIDI so far. Enlighten me and I will test with my SQ1.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Nope, nary a shoulder pad in sight
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So is every single Pro-1 incapable of pitch bend? Wow. That's a major issue.
If it's the same problem as the Model D then pitch bend stops when you release a note. To most people it's probably no big deal. Other than that, pitchbend works fine on the D.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
yes i remember the same with the d

iirc the fix was a pick em
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
yes i remember the same with the d

iirc the fix was a pick em
I never noticed this with the Poly D. I need to try it next time I'm in front of it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
So is every single Pro-1 incapable of pitch bend? Wow. That's a major issue.
Pitch bend works fine on my unit with the latest OS installed

*edit, when i release any note with pitch bend still engaged it forces the note down to the lowest C. But, I can't think of a scenario that *I* would do that while playing, so not a big deal for me.

Last edited by lindelltodd; 26th November 2020 at 10:26 PM.. Reason: added details
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
yes it is kind of a thing that has never got to me either, i normally release my wheel before my key but i know we are all different and certainly i am no wizard with keys, i wonder if its a playa thang

no offence to players kfhfkh
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinakroon View Post
Yes, as far as I can tell, all's working on it.
Hi, I'd like to make a request. If anyone has a Pro-One (either Behringer or Sequential Circuits Brand) do you mind recording a few pulse wave samples? I bought the Kontakt Library "Pro-II"
(https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/t...-pro-ii-536373)
and was disappointed to find out it only has 3 kinds of pulse wave samples! :(

As for the request, I would only need a C, F, and an Aflat, from five octaves. There should about 20 so distinct sounding "widths" of the pulse wave. I did the math, it it should take an hour at most. (especially if you use MIDI for consistency).

I would just need single .wav file of the recording session (I would do the splicing and loop points myself). If you're interested or have further questions, please PM me.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
The problem is the lacking digital MIDI interface/firmware.
The K-2 is also having a MIDI overflow problem.
Hopefully Behringer is able to improve that with a firmware update.
The solution for the Pro-1 pitch wheel would be to use a analog CV pitch controller, like the Doepfer Joystick or TouchΓ©.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotecho View Post
This sounds so suspiciously close to the pitch bend issue on the Model D, it can't just be a coincidence. On the Model D you can either use the default bend range, or change the bend range but if you release a key during a bend it snaps back to the note you just played. Almost identical behaviour but much more useable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elf View Post
If it's the same problem as the Model D then pitch bend stops when you release a note. To most people it's probably no big deal. Other than that, pitchbend works fine on the D.
The question is, can you bypass this problem by deactivating variable PB range/leaving it wide open in synthtool like you can on the D?

Quote:
For now, I really love this thing, and I can get around the issue using CV/Gate, which you need to do anyway to play lower notes.
Do you know if it's possible to use pitch CV to offset to a lower octave then play in the lower octave with MIDI?
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
<axel f theme music intensifies>
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Just got a Pro-1 today from Thomann. Pitch bend works fine as long as you are holding the note down with the key, but if you set a long release and take your finger off it and try to bend you get this weird low-pitched sound. Completely unusable in this way. Can anyone confirm their Pro-1 DOESN'T do that? Not sure what CV issue there are? Have been using mine only with USB MIDI so far. Enlighten me and I will test with my SQ1.
Yep that's the issue. The low note is the lowest C that the Pro-1 can play via midi.

By my count we are around 6 for 6 showing the issue now, with no one reporting a unit that doesn't do this.

Quote:
It's not quite the same. On the Model D if you set the pitch bend range to the default it works as expected, if you select a different range and release a key while bending, it jumps back to the last note pressed. That's not ideal, but it's still usable. The Pro-1 drops to the bottom C, it sounds bad. The big difference to me is that Behringer have owned the issue on the Model D. I got told to return my Pro-1 because it was faulty.

I'm hoping if it gets reported enough they'll fix it in a firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelltodd View Post
Pitch bend works fine on my unit with the latest OS installed

*edit, when i release any note with pitch bend still engaged it forces the note down to the lowest C. But, I can't think of a scenario that *I* would do that while playing, so not a big deal for me.
Quote:
yes it is kind of a thing that has never got to me either, i normally release my wheel before my key but i know we are all different and certainly i am no wizard with keys, i wonder if its a playa thang

no offence to players kfhfkh
So yeah, it's not going to bother everyone, in fact it is pretty clear only the minority of owners use it this way!

I'm not exactly shredding endless Edgar Winter synth lead solos myself, however I've found it noticeable even if you don't have a long release on the lead sound, all it takes is for you to lift your finger off a key for a moment while bending and you're dropping to bottom C, that gets in the way.

What I do like to do reasonably often is let a long note ring out and just pitch it down a little on the tail, sounds good with a lot of reverb / echo. I'd have to modify the patch to do this over midi with the Pro-1, and keep the key pressed the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varntvar View Post
The question is, can you bypass this problem by deactivating variable PB range/leaving it wide open in synthtool like you can on the D?

Do you know if it's possible to use pitch CV to offset to a lower octave then play in the lower octave with MIDI?
I tried a bunch of ranges on the first one I had, as well as changing note priority, and none of those changes made a difference.

I'm not sure about the CV offset, but I suspect it will just jump to the note value you transmit over midi. I can give it a go when I have a chance.

Last edited by robotecho; 27th November 2020 at 05:04 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's not quite the same... The Pro-1 drops to the bottom C, it sounds bad.
That would be a show-stopper for me. Not good.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That would be a show-stopper for me. Not good.
Well you can get around the whole issue using CV/GATE. You also need to do that if you want to play notes below C1, so I've accepted that for the most part that is how I will use it. I'm controlling it with a Moog Grandmother and I can control that with midi, so it's a workable arrangement, but a long way from ideal for sure.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Wow! This issue seems to be a "feature"... :(

I thought I was the only one! Now I am a bit worried about getting my unit back... Would also like to hear if anyone has a unit that works properly.

I hope everyone with a faulty unit can find the time to open a ticket at music tribe website.

-Tuomas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomassamout View Post
I hope everyone with a faulty unit can find the time to open a ticket at music tribe website.

-Tuomas
Did that yesterday. No reply so far. I can't believe they would tell you it's a defect and return it. Clearly it seems that it's the way it is on all units. Shows how clueless their support must be.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcadia View Post
Did that yesterday. No reply so far. I can't believe they would tell you it's a defect and return it. Clearly it seems that it's the way it is on all units. Shows how clueless their support must be.
I agree... In the past Thomann has always sent me a replacement immediately. This time they sent me mail saying that they need to send it to Behringer for repairs.

The worst thing is that I'm guessing I will have to spend what little holidays I have without my pro1... :(
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomassamout View Post
I agree... In the past Thomann has always sent me a replacement immediately. This time they sent me mail saying that they need to send it to Behringer for repairs.

The worst thing is that I'm guessing I will have to spend what little holidays I have without my pro1... :(
If they send you one back and it doesn't have this issue it will completely blow my mind!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
If they send you one back and it doesn't have this issue it will completely blow my mind!
I would imagine that this issue is fixable in firmware. Contact support, they have been pretty responsive in regards to firmware/feature bugs etc.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindelltodd View Post
I would imagine that this issue is fixable in firmware. Contact support, they have been pretty responsive in regards to firmware/feature bugs etc.
Both @ tuomassamout and me have logged support tickets for this issue, and both got told it was not expected behaviour and to return the device. At the moment it feels like this issue is one that needs to gain critical mass with Behringer so they acknowledge it and address it in a firmware update, assuming that's possible. I've raised it in the forum at MusicTribe, but perhaps a new support ticket outlining the extent of the issue as shown in this thread might raise awareness internally.
Old 28th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I don't have the pro1 but as I do some beta fw work (not employment i add) with behringer I've asked for a response to this for you guys and gals , from reading it seems to be the only little thing stopping it being 100%

Can't promise anything but I'll feed back when the right team says what's what as we have diff teams doing diff gear all over the momma earth
Old 28th November 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Well, it doesn't seem right. I would not want it like that. Does the Model D continue to have its pitch bend issue? That also sounded like a showstopper.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, it doesn't seem right. I would not want it like that. Does the Model D continue to have its pitch bend issue? That also sounded like a showstopper.
Model D: If you set pitchbend range to anything other than an octave, then pitchbend ceases when you release a note.

I raised this with Behringer on arrival day and after some checking back at base they determined that it was not able to be fully fixed. The compromise was to have pitchbend continue in release when the range is set to an octave. I was told that this was the best they could achieve, based on the way it was designed.

I got around the problem by taking the octave setting, but scaling my pitchbend data in my DAW to whatever I need (usually 2 semitones). Others solve it by using the CV input.

So it's only a showstopper if you don't have a way around it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I raised this with Behringer on arrival day and after some checking back at base they determined that it was not able to be fully fixed. The compromise was to have pitchbend continue in release when the range is set to an octave. I was told that this was the best they could achieve, based on the way it was designed.
Really. I wonder how "it was designed". It's just firmware turning midi notes (and pitchbend messages) into pitch CV and gate. It should work regardless.

All my other analog synths handle this fine... BSII, Moog Sirin, Neutron (another Behringer product). They can fix it in firmware if they put their minds to it.

And I often use pitchbend at the end of notes. This would be a showstopper for me.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I don't have the pro1 but as I do some work with behringer I've asked for a response to this for you guys and gals , from reading it seems to be the only little thing stopping it being 100%

Can't promise anything but I'll feed back when the right team says what's what as we have diff teams doing diff gear all over the momma earth
Awesome! Honestly it is a great synth, if this was fixed it would be 100% for me.
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Really. I wonder how "it was designed". It's just firmware turning midi notes (and pitchbend messages) into pitch CV and gate. It should work regardless.

All my other analog synths handle this fine... BSII, Moog Sirin, Neutron (another Behringer product). They can fix it in firmware if they put their minds to it.

And I often use pitchbend at the end of notes. This would be a showstopper for me.
Well, if you want to play this without having to bother with a computer, it's a big impediment.
And so is the issue with the Pro-1.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Really. I wonder how "it was designed".
Amateurishly! I love my Boog and other bynths but the firmware on their synth stuff does seem rather hit and miss. Remember the poly chain? Crazy stuff. The 101 portamento. The drum machine debacles. I suspect they've got inexperienced people on some of these projects.
Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They should hire me. I'm an amateur when it comes to embedded programming but I'm a seasoned software developer. I could probably fix all their firmware issues pretty quick.

I never hear complaints about the firmware of the X series mixers, so they do have some programming talent in their midst. They just need some in their synth group.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They should hire me. I'm an amateur when it comes to embedded programming but I'm a seasoned software developer. I could probably fix all their firmware issues pretty quick.

I never hear complaints about the firmware of the X series mixers, so they do have some programming talent in their midst. They just need some in their synth group.
Yes. Sounds like the DM12 was pretty well done too, shame the expertise behind that has gone.
πŸ“ Reply