The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
So it also happens when the kit stays exactly the same, but stored under a different number?

What happens if you import a different sample while playing?
Yes. That’s how I discovered the issue. I was creating a new kit to play some different samples in a new pattern.

Actually swapping tones, samples during live play back doesn’t interrupt the audio. The samples switch instantly.
Old 13th March 2018
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadonis206 View Post
Yes. That’s how I discovered the issue. I was creating a new kit to play some different samples in a new pattern.

Actually swapping tones, samples during live play back doesn’t interrupt the audio. The samples switch instantly.
sure they will fix this but makes you wonder why they leave in these insane bugs , surely with rom / ram etc these days they could have a better buffer of some kind.

Spec wise i think the Tr8s is looking good , for me its subtle things , how low can it pitch sounds , whats the pitch range , nice to see it can modulate and also your not limited to 1 kick , 1 snare , there is a lot to be had loading up a drum machine with 11 kicks and pitching them to death in real time .

I think this could indicate we will see an Aira sampler in time which could be cool but i really think they have to stop limiting things that a line of code could deal with probably like 32 step patterns ? 64 is needed if you want to create nice phrasing

so it can modulate samples in real time per step ? now that sells it for me and each sounds track can have a different end point ? that also .I can see why there are 300 Tr8's on ebay over night
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Someone experimenting with high BPM:

At ~9:40 he mentions and demonstrates that "when you turn [motion recording] on and off it'll stay at whatever the last value it was that it caught" Best to view the video to hear what that means, but that's quite interesting.

Also, around 11:00 mentions/shows that there's a little dropout when saving too.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe the gap has to do with memory re-location .
Also , if outputs assignements are stored within a kit ( if possible ) ,a gap makes perfect sense
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr283 View Post
I might be naïve but why are some of these issues not picked up by testing before the units are out for sale. Is it that they want to get them out and sold while they are working on the issues they know about?
It's called a public beta testing
Old 13th March 2018
[QUOTE=kr283;13196824]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_rock View Post
Here's a 1/2 assed recording. Wanted to test the individual outs through my interface / mixer.

Loving this thing.

Loving the demo!!!!! That kick drum has some weight What are you using as your mixer/interface and what software do you use ITB.
Logic Pro X, mixer is Behringer XR18
Yeah, I'm able to get some good kick sounds out of the thing with stock kicks in the box and adjustments. Is this thing would not sound good, kick wise, I'd ditch it.

I run the Kick, Snare, OHH, CHH , Rim, and one other one through the individual outs > mixer / interface.

I didn't have time to really mess with it. I'm burnt out from work and God Damn snow.

Fed up with everything. I just want to make music.

Question.

Is there any way to set the global outs permanent? Meaning everytime I change a kit, everything goes to main mix out. I set the kit to individual outs, then switch a kit and it goes back to main mix out. This is a pain in the ass if you ask me.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
That was awesome, I loved that. What were you using to make the `U-rrrrrrrr-RUH, Urrrrrrr-RUH' sound? Was that an avalon? Very captain tinrib.

Really nice work!. Though I don't think you look like a pre-op tranny. Were you making that up by chance? I usually believe everything I read on the interwebz.
Tinrib, hehe. That sound is the Moog Sub 37, sequenced by Avalon. Minitaur is sequenced by another avalon. No Tranny, man, haha.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Sounds like cabin fever Chief, throw the brass a couple of those get out of jail free cards
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

I have to stand corrected: listened to the pattern gap video again and indeed, only audio drop-out, clock stays in time. Thats a huge plus!
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Thanks.

This worked perfectly well @ norisounds . Strange omission from the reference manual though. :-)
Thanks a lot.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have to stand corrected: listened to the pattern gap video again and indeed, only audio drop-out, clock stays in time. Thats a huge plus!
I’d say it’s also encouraging regarding the likelihood of a fix being viable. I wonder if the kit switch is already being initiated after the last hit on the prior pattern decays, or if it doesn’t happen until the start of the new pattern? If they’re not already doing the former then it provides an opportunity for Roland. If they are, it suggests that a possible workaround by ensuring that there aren’t long decays late in the pattern before a kit change.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

YouTube

Sorry if already posted
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Is there a mode where the kit stays the same all the time while switching patterns?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
Is there a mode where the kit stays the same all the time while switching patterns?
Yes! It was mentioned earlier in this thread. There's an option in the menu to keep the same kit when changing patterns. No clue if that prevents the gap.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heho View Post
Yes! It was mentioned earlier in this thread. There's an option in the menu to keep the same kit when changing patterns. No clue if that prevents the gap.
Yes, it is said that the gap only occurs when changing kits.
Old 13th March 2018
mp3
Lives for gear

There's no way Roland could have missed this playback gap when they were developing the TR-8S. That doesn't pass the sniff test. So I don't know that we can even consider this a bug, and I have a hard time believing its fixable at all, nevermind being an easy fix. Hopefully I'm wrong...
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_rock View Post
Is there any way to set the global outs permanent? Meaning everytime I change a kit, everything goes to main mix out. I set the kit to individual outs, then switch a kit and it goes back to main mix out. This is a pain in the ass if you ask me.
Are these assignments saved per pattern? I haven't tried this yet, but if they are, perhaps create template patterns?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Can I change the kit while keeping the pattern? (Of course then causing the glitch)

I think then it would be workable, however needing complementary gear at live gigs wich can play while changing the kit/ samples.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
This was my observation after repeated listening as well. People stating categorically that it is IS a timing error may need to rethink that notion, or at least be less dismissive of alternate explanations or perceptions.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsquaredplusc View Post
This worked perfectly well @ norisounds . Strange omission from the reference manual though. :-)
Thanks a lot.
Sweet! I am waiting my TR8S and I was also wondering about this. So thanks for confirming
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

I already asked this 10 pages back, but no one answered.

Is there a drum machine that can switch pattern and kit (incl. samples and FX) together without causing a pause of any kind?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post

Is there a drum machine that can switch pattern and kit (incl. samples and FX) together without causing a pause of any kind?
Yes.
Digitakt
Octatrack
Machinedrum
Rytm
Analog 4
Pioneer’s DJS-1000 and Toraiz
Also MPC Live

I have the DJS and Digitakt. At some point, I’ve played with (or owned) all the others
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

The Analog Rytm can change analog sounds or sample per pattern or even "per" step. No gaps or the like. It is simply way more powefull than the TR.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:

when anything is required to flush and fill memory or produce a tail which goes over the bar or has to change a set of parameters in time or ahead of time, and do it fast enough so that all those thing are invisible, you are more likely to encounter some kind of issue. for instance an MV8000 can largely do it because a whole instrument kit can reside in memory so just needs to be accessed and any overhanging sample just needs to complete. which sample based equipment is usually ok with.

the FX on the other hand might have an issue if you tried to change those at the same time, because the tail would need to complete while the FX memory buffer is flushed and filled. there's probably a point at which something that is generally very well behaved that, when under a certain amount of stress, might start to become less well behaved.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange View Post
The Analog Rytm can change analog sounds or sample per pattern or even "per" step. No gaps or the like.
From what i gather the TR can do all of THIS without pause too. Its Kit and Patterns ToGETHER where the pause happens.

I think what is said about the Rytm is true when you stay in the same project. If you switch projects there is a break too, or?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
From what i gather the TR can do all of THIS without pause too. Its Kit and Patterns ToGETHER where the pause happens.

I think what is said about the Rytm is true when you stay in the same project. If you switch projects there is a break too, or?
If you are switching projects, yes, the RYTM takes time to swap and load all the samples in
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:

The TR can't switch sounds or samples per step. The AR does.

Switching to another project will of course mean a break or pause in the sound: you are loading a full new setup: all samples, all patterns,...
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

PMTOnline just let me down, my 'in stock' TR8s I ordered Saturday, is now out of stock. Have now cancelled order, and wont be re-ordering at all. Now the instock Elektron Digitakt looks more promising and available from better retailers
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

In the elektrons each project has 8 banks, each one with 16 patterns, various songs in a single project, lots of kits per project too (128?). The changes inside a project are all instant (sounds, kits, patterns).
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
PMTOnline just let me down, my 'in stock' TR8s I ordered Saturday, is now out of stock. Have now cancelled order, and wont be re-ordering at all. Now the instock Elektron Digitakt looks more promising and available from better retailers
Went in pmt a while back, when the tr8 was newish. Everything the sales gonk told me was erroneous. The place is called PMT ffs
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search