The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_rock View Post
What good is a p-lock if when you enable it on a trig, all subsequent trigs, it is enabled as well? Hey, this is my first Roland drum machine in my life. I'm 47 years old. Never touched any Roland machine really. Most likely, they know what they are doing and I do not. I fully admit that. Meaning I'm not familiar with the Roland way of doing things. I just spent 3 months learning Elektron stuff, only to have to AR MKII's with issues. So I'm done with that machine. Not gonna try for a 3rd. My OT MKII is fine though. Now I have to learn this thing from scratch.

So you cats familiar with the TR-8 and all the other previous Roland boxes, I envy you.
Because it's bassically entering cc data , if you enter cc data is your daw / hw seq. it's exactly the same .
I think 99´% of hardware sequencers work that way , elektron being the exception ...that's why they named it parameter locks , it's locked to the step .
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
People commenting on how other people spend their own money, rather than going out and making the money they need, for the stuff they want.

This could get pretty "meta" in short order ...
Agreed, but the guy apologized. We've all been there. I just prioritize my sh*t.

Gear > Food > Family > bills > work
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubasco View Post
Yes yes, y'all are right. My bad.

It is killing me that I ordered one on March 6, and no one at all has any idea when more will be available.

Sorry I took it out on you @ bob_rock .
No worry boss, it's just the internet.

Man this thing sounds KILLER. It seems to me, to have a clarity about it that I did not notice with the AR. Perhaps it's the digital vs. analog thing. I could care less, it sounds good.

I'm one hour deep on this thing and it's pretty deep and intimidating for a guy that's never used anything Roland really. For now, I think the Elektron way is easier, but I'm one hour in.

So each kit has its own parameters as far as the out config (1-6) I noticed? No way to globalize that sh*t?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
Because it's bassically entering cc data , if you enter cc data is your daw / hw seq. it's exactly the same .
I think 99´% of hardware sequencers work that way , elektron being the exception ...that's why they named it parameter locks , it's locked to the step .
Pioneer’s DJS-1000 and Toraiz samplers use p-locks like Elektron. Ableton Live’s push and NI Maschine lock like that too.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubasco View Post
Hey it's my day off. I make mines.

I've ordered the unit on March 6 and it's backordered indefinitely, if you care to read ALL the words
Dude, I think you need to cancel your order and order elsewhere. Roland ain't like Elektron who makes 2 frign units a week. If you search man, you'll find one quick.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
And Elektron is the one device I've ever used it on, so to me, anything else seems more difficult and hard to comprehend.

So if you edit a step, all subsequent steps are edited as well. Just trying to wrap my head around how that is useful.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
On Elektrons if you change a parameter for a step it will only be changed for that step. On the Roland/TR (this is also true for Novation and Korg and other's "P-Locking") the change remains.

Say you have a sequence with a parameter is at "1" for all steps:

And then and you hold down step 3 to change it to "7". On Elektron you'll get this:

On Roland/Novation/Korg/etc you'll get this:

So if you want the parameter to return to where it started you'll have to do it manually by programming a step to do so.

You have to enter start and end points so to say.
So on the Roland, if you want 11711111 you would just have to manually program another 1 after the 7 ?
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks man, but I've tried! I seriously can't find this anywhere! I keep looking and googling smaller music stores even. All backordered.

Consider yourself lucky, and I'll work on my patience

So looking forward to this. I kinda liked the tr8 but I'm a performing musician...never felt comfortable enough with it to use in a set. The Tr8s addresses *most* of my issues. Can't wait!

Have fun y'all! That's the point, anyway!
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBerry View Post
TR-8s

Isnt a sampler and it isnt a midi sequencer. Buy a ****ing standalone sampler and a midi sequencer.
People ask questions.

This seems like a great box if one wants an XOX sequencer with various drum engines and that XOX sound.

FWIW, that’s why I’m interested. Something else has to handle deep sampling and MIDI sequencing - which I learned by reading and asking questions.

“All in one”, if it exists is at least 2x the cost.

Quote:
It’s niche market demand If implemented well a unit would cost twice the price or maybe more.
Totally agree. I don’t even really see a real “all in one”. Something is always off.

Quote:
Making this kinda smooth requires double power basically. Like every channel needs 2 channels in the background to avoid the glitch. This isnt a bug If you asked me.
This is a bug.

You don’t include parameters like this if you don’t expect users to switch patterns and kits at the same time:

(From manual):

Quote:
PTN SETTING: KIT
OFF, ON

OFF: When you switch patterns, the kit does not change.
ON: When you switch patterns, the kit also switches to the kit specified by PTN SETTIN: KIT Number.
This next part is nerd talk, but any tech nerd who sees that block diagram of 128 patterns and 128 kits immediately sees a “cross matrix” of possibilities and randomizes the crap out of it during testing.

Total bug.

Its jobs is to keep the beat, play patterns with kits and not drop beats like The Rolling Stones guy does his hi-hats every time he hits the snare. :-)

My worry is my first sequencer experience with Roland is the JD-XA and they haven’t touched that thing at all. It can’t even play back its dedicated click track without dropping the beat when you switch patches.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
So on the Roland, if you want 11711111 you would just have to manually program another 1 after the 7 ?
This is correct - much like Step Sequencing CC's on older Yamaha units like the RS7000 - each step is its own value that offsets from the zero default. Different sequencers handle parameter modulation like this in their own way.
You can also do realtime modulation record on the TR-8S and then experiment with toggling on/off the motion sequencing to critic static versus dramatic variants of the patterns you're currently using.

The Effects Structure from reading the manual is -

MFX - master global effect
Reverb - send/return per instrument (Single set of reverb settings)
Delay - send return per instrument (Single set of delay settings)
Instrument FX that act like an Insert Per Instrument
Scatter - technically is/was an audio effect on the TR-8 and actually manipulates the audio stream and not the midi data itself. Fills are actually pattern parts and aren't related.
On top of this you have any realtime performance tweaks you create yourself whilst jamming - anything from fades, to track mutes, tweaking attack/decay or pitch settings etc.
You also have six assignable outs for individual processing of drum parts via eternal dynamic fx, insert fx and send / return fx on a mixer or multi-input sound card and/or via USB midi and plug ins in your DAW.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Head

Can anyone please check if the recorded parameter motions (decay, tune, ctrl) get output via midi cc? Thanks!
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djadonis206 View Post
Pioneer’s DJS-1000 and Toraiz samplers use p-locks like Elektron. Ableton Live’s push and NI Maschine lock like that too.
I mean old skool , midi cc sequencing .
WHich is what I think the tr-8s does internally when assigning values to steps
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Look it's verry simple .
Attach something that sends midi cc to your daw , turn knob/slider whatever .. and then look at the cc values lane .
Most daws show theses values as small blocks .
The last value that your daw received is sustained/held ( for lack of a better word )
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

props to @ ToyBox for holding down the topic-centric posts, with facts and shiz.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:

Man this thing sounds KILLER. It seems to me, to have a clarity about it that I did not notice with the AR. Perhaps it's the digital vs. analog thing. I could care less, it sounds good.

I'm one hour deep on this thing and it's pretty deep and intimidating for a guy that's never used anything Roland really. For now, I think the Elektron way is easier, but I'm one hour in.

So each kit has its own parameters as far as the out config (1-6) I noticed? No way to globalize that sh*t?
Starting to want one pretty bad, got Digitakt & Digitone on the way. Need to put some rainbow LED on them to make do for now I guess.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Look it's verry simple .
Attach something that sends midi cc to your daw , turn knob/slider whatever .. and then look at the cc values lane .
Most daws show theses values as small blocks .
The last value that your daw received is sustained/held ( for lack of a better word )
LOL. I'm the equivalent of a 3 year old with this sh*t. 1 year in, I just figured out what CC was the other night, sending CC changes to my minituar from the Octatrack. It would take me 4 months to figure out CC in a DAW.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

nothing in the manual about assigning/changing colors
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808BD View Post
There are already a ton of videos. Do you perhaps recall which one? Thanks.
"updated circuit modeling engine" at the start:

He mentions it in passing other videos too, and they say "The powerful new processor gives our next-generation ACB models a whole new level of detail and nuance [...]" on the product page.

In any case, ACB isn't what they want to highlight with this, it's already known and liked. It's all the other user requested features and enhancements that are the star of the show.
Old 13th March 2018
Here's a 1/2 assed recording. Wanted to test the individual outs through my interface / mixer.

Loving this thing.

Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
"The powerful new processor gives our next-generation ACB models a whole new level of detail and nuance
Everyone who buys a TS-8S will be thinking how much better it sounds than a TR-8. I'd wait for the A/B comparisons thank you very much.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
While you cats have been busy cyber bullying one another, I've dun got this thing OAKED. Made 2 sets since I'm mostly likely going to get 2 of these because I'm a pig.

Wooden sides and lightened faders? That doesn't make sense in my opinion.

What's important is you're happy but I'm quite sure your units would not gain any value on the second hand market.. on the contrary.

edit: I guess it's a reversible mod anyway but if I went for wooden ends personally I'd have made them so that at least they protect the knobs in case the unit falls on its face.

Last edited by 01rsa; 13th March 2018 at 07:11 AM..
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a 1/2 assed recording. Wanted to test the individual outs through my interface / mixer.

Loving this thing.

That was awesome, I loved that. What were you using to make the `U-rrrrrrrr-RUH, Urrrrrrr-RUH' sound? Was that an avalon? Very captain tinrib.

Really nice work!. Though I don't think you look like a pre-op tranny. Were you making that up by chance? I usually believe everything I read on the interwebz.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
captain tinrib
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by choond View Post
That was awesome, I loved that. What were you using to make the `U-rrrrrrrr-RUH, Urrrrrrr-RUH' sound? Was that an avalon? Very captain tinrib.

Really nice work!. Though I don't think you look like a pre-op tranny. Were you making that up by chance? I usually believe everything I read on the interwebz.
Pre-op makes it hard to tell, got to wait till full transition.. but yeh 99-01 NRG tinrib was thinking similar. Sounds good.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by markorbit View Post
Great!! Can we also switch Variations within the Patterns in this way?
I don’t think so
Old 13th March 2018
Has anyone found a way to delete the motion recording for one drum channel only? The only way I’ve found to clear motion recording is to clear it for the whole pattern (can delete seperately for variation A-H and the fills). Either that or you can clear the channel which deletes both notes and motion. I just want to delete the motion I’ve just recorded on one drum channel and not lose everything else. I’m sure there must be a way?
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
"updated circuit modeling engine" at the start:

He mentions it in passing other videos too, and they say "The powerful new processor gives our next-generation ACB models a whole new level of detail and nuance [...]" on the product page.

In any case, ACB isn't what they want to highlight with this, it's already known and liked. It's all the other user requested features and enhancements that are the star of the show.
Thanks. I know. Just curious.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Maybe the pattern change gap will be less noticeable if you fade out most sounds before changing the kit. If you’re left with just kick and hats for example maybe not audible at all.

Also can someone confirm if it’s possible to (gapless) transition into another pattern/kit using a reverb tail..if the following kit also has the same reverb effect?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ok, owners, can anyone of you test if the time/audio gap when switching kits also happens when:
1) you switch pattern and its kit when there are no samples in the next kit, only acb models
2) you keep the pattern, only change the kit. Next kit with 1 or more samples
3) you keep the pattern, only change the kit, but without samples in next kit (only acb)
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

This happens on the Electribe 2 as well, and that was mainly due to FX on pattern even when not active, the fx take a lot of DSP/CPU power cycles
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search