The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 12th March 2018
Here for the gear

People making wood sides for their new machines and not even using it for music production...meanwhile I'm over here WISHING I could even buy one smh. Have fun bedazzling.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

FYI the manual is only 24 pages.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Nut

Y’all off the chain over here at GearSlutz

And all over the place to. Wow.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Guru

How come we didn't hear any pattern drop outs during all those Berlin school videos, was it because they simply used the same kits for the whole demo..?
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
How come we didn't hear any pattern drop outs during all those Berlin school videos, was it because they simply used the same kits for the whole demo..?
Most likely. It only occurs when patterns have different kits, even if the only difference between the two kits is a different sample for one of the tracks.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
Most likely. It only occurs when patterns have different kits, even if the only difference between the two kits is a different sample for one of the tracks.
Should be possible (I think) that a firmware update makes only the sound that is switched to load and dropout audio for a short period, while maintaining a stable clock and audio from the other tracks. That would be totally fine if it is not possible to completely remove the audio and clock dropout
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Kit dropouts on pattern switches!? Did they let the JD-XA sequencer guy program this thing or what!?

Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_rock View Post
For real? That’s a big WTF? So p-locking on the tr8-s is basically useless IMO
No if the above rule held true -

16 steps - 1111171111111111 On the Elektron
You would have 111117 parameter lock back to 1 on the following step.
Would yield the same end result in a different way.
Hardly renders it useless but it isn't an Elektron sequencer and I am not expecting it to work the same way.
Absolutely no different to Step Sequencing CC's on say an RS7000 where the CC Value holds until a new on is entered, it never stoped anyone doing CC based step sequencing either.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Kit dropouts on pattern switches!? Did they let the JD-XA sequencer guy program this thing or what!?
11 parts with insert effects and I'd imagine in some cases different MFX and Send / Return FX too. So I am hardly surprised truth be told. I wouldn't be Program changing like that in a single performance / track take myself but I digress.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
No it could be masked with or by creativity. You can switch but not just like that without thinking.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here’s a video of the problem with the TR-8S posted by @ djadonis206 on YouTube.

So pattern 87&88 have the same kit with a pattern in slot A on each.
When you have a single kit with 2 fills and 8 variations A-H it seems like an odd argument in context.
I could see it being an issue between two totally separate kits with totally discreet kit set ups and pattern types but in the context of a song / track I wouldn't be using more than Variations A-H, the Fill Patterns and toggling the on/off of the motion sequencer combined with on the fly mutes, tweaks and send return effects via my mixer and the 6 extra sub outs.
I am pretty sure a lot of us would be doing the same.
It shouldn't behave like it does but it was a rather odd way of displaying the issue.
Old 12th March 2018
Anyone figure out how to send the samples you already imported to categories? I'm not even sure where to find these custom categories.

Edit: Nevermind I see, you have to edit the sample to send it to a category folder.

Last edited by an_expresso; 13th March 2018 at 12:00 AM..
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
They actually used the full set of Fill Functions and Variation patterns A-H along with toggling of/on motion control and live tweaking of effects and parameters etc. Remember an actually pattern on this is a selection of 1 bar patterns A-H that can be chained in any order along with 2 fills, scatter, Motion sequencing (which you can actively toggle on and off) + live tweaking and pattern programming on the fly.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
So pattern 87&88 have the same kit with a pattern in slot A on each.
When you have a single kit with 2 fills and 8 variations A-H it seems like an odd argument in context.
I could see it being an issue between two totally separate kits with totally discreet kit set ups and pattern types but in the context of a song / track I wouldn't be using more than Variations A-H, the Fill Patterns and toggling the on/off of the motion sequencer combined with on the fly mutes, tweaks and send return effects via my mixer and the 6 extra sub outs.
I am pretty sure a lot of us would be doing the same.
It shouldn't behave like it does but it was a rather odd way of displaying the issue.
From what I understand, 87 & 88 are two different kits assigned to two different patterns. The dropout occurs because kit 87 is changed to kit 88 with the pattern change. Also, if I recall correctly, the only difference between the two kits is a different sample for one of the sounds.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
From what I understand, 87 & 88 are two different kits assigned to two different patterns. The dropout occurs because kit 87 is changed to kit 88 with the pattern change. Also, if I recall correctly, the only difference between the two kits is a different sample for one of the sounds.
Thanks for the added info
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

It maybe not just the use of one different sample, maybe any FX tails (however slight) may cause the very slight audio pause.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
It maybe not just the use of one different sample, maybe any FX tails (however slight) may cause the very slight audio pause.
No FX in my example
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear
Need litmus test. Want to see how rock solid it runs internally, on simple patterns and when clogged with a ton of motion data.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
FYI the manual is only 24 pages.
There's also the reference manual for download which is more detailed at 40 pages.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Why do you think that?
What good is a p-lock if when you enable it on a trig, all subsequent trigs, it is enabled as well? Hey, this is my first Roland drum machine in my life. I'm 47 years old. Never touched any Roland machine really. Most likely, they know what they are doing and I do not. I fully admit that. Meaning I'm not familiar with the Roland way of doing things. I just spent 3 months learning Elektron stuff, only to have to AR MKII's with issues. So I'm done with that machine. Not gonna try for a 3rd. My OT MKII is fine though. Now I have to learn this thing from scratch.

So you cats familiar with the TR-8 and all the other previous Roland boxes, I envy you.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubasco View Post
People making wood sides for their new machines and not even using it for music production...meanwhile I'm over here WISHING I could even buy one smh. Have fun bedazzling.
Who said I do not use it for music production? I use every piece I own. I produce songs, about one a week at least, and put them on youtube and watch the thumbs downs accumulate

I made the wood sides during the day, in between waiting for some code to compile @ work. I don't dare get into setting up a machine during the day as I need uninterrupted time. This will happen around 9pm, after my kid is back from Karate, dinner is made and cleaned up, and kids homework is done. I got a whole hour to myself to set this thing up and turn it on, then I'll probably tap out an hour later from exhaustion and get up at 5am, turn on my laptop and go through 300 emails from work and do it all over again.

I don't know if your comment is directed at me, but I do not tolerate jealousy well. I get a ton of sh*t comment on youtube videos because I have nice gear and what these fools don't understand is that being in a state of constant jealousy and woe is me only locks you into that state and nothing will ever change.

Cheers.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the only market for products like this was people actively engaged in music production then R&D budgets would be a tiny fraction of what they are. Hobbyists subsidize just about every industry to a large extent, so it makes more sense to be grateful that there’s a viable business making gear like this at all.
Old 13th March 2018
Pretty deep machine, barely starting my first beat with my samples but I'm very happy with it. Sounds super good and is a ****load of fun, can't wait for my days off.
Old 13th March 2018
Here for the gear

Yes yes, y'all are right. My bad.

It is killing me that I ordered one on March 6, and no one at all has any idea when more will be available.

Sorry I took it out on you @ bob_rock .
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamero View Post
Can you change the LED color of the Tempo, Start/Stop, Inst Pad, & backlit text? This was asked earlier but still not answered.

The manual only refers to changing the fader LED color (unless I overlooked it).

The green is pretty tiring after having dealt with earlier Aira gear.
Can owners verify, thanks for it
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

With all due respect to you, Roland, and the readers, this statement is precisely what the product testers are supposed to do. Not us.

I just had a GAS flameout until the dust settles on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
Need litmus test. Want to see how rock solid it runs internally, on simple patterns and when clogged with a ton of motion data.
Old 13th March 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdesign75 View Post
Been playing with my TR-8S today. I can confirm that you can send Program Change messages to change both the TR-8S Kit and Pattern. These are received on different channels (assignable) so both can be changed at the same time
Great!! Can we also switch Variations within the Patterns in this way?
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
With all due respect to you, Roland, and the readers, this statement is precisely what the product testers are supposed to do. Not us.

I just had a GAS flameout until the dust settles on this one.
This x 100. Engineering 101...load up your event recorder, press play and measure the jitter.
Old 13th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_expresso View Post
Pretty deep machine, barely starting my first beat with my samples but I'm very happy with it. Sounds super good and is a ****load of fun, can't wait for my days off.
Wish there was just a fill button. I mean there is but I put a pattern in fill 1 and 2 for fills, then press that button and it plays some scatter sh*t instead. F**k I hate manuals, LOL.

I found a good stock kick, created a pattern, I'm good for the first night. I just hope this thing ends up being easy to use.
Old 13th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
People commenting on how other people spend their own money, rather than going out and making the money they need, for the stuff they want.

This could get pretty "meta" in short order ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search