The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
?? pretty sure you still would, you're simply routing the overall computer/DAW audio to those outs on the TR-8S. you'd still use the main outs from the TR-8S going into the DAW (cables or USB). the audio just "passes back through" the TR-8S from the computer to your interface/monitors.

been a while, but i do think it works how you want it to.
Hmm maybe you’re right. Will do some more testing. Thnx
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Just picked one up from Guitar Center used for 538$ in like-new condition. TR-8s is such an incredible machine, Update 2.0 takes it to a whole new level
Lives for gear

Ok, question.

Got one of these incomming. How do I sync it to a hardware sequencer??

Syncing bpm should be easy, but im talking about starts and/or bars?

Probably simple but I've not had a drum machine before, and only had the sequencer a few weeks.

Fwiw the sequencer is a squarp pyramid.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmapp8306 View Post
Ok, question.

Got one of these incomming. How do I sync it to a hardware sequencer??

Syncing bpm should be easy, but im talking about starts and/or bars?

Probably simple but I've not had a drum machine before, and only had the sequencer a few weeks.

Fwiw the sequencer is a squarp pyramid.
All you need is to set it to external MIDI sync and it will automatically start when you start the other sequencer.

And the TR-8 doesn't do bars but patterns... and I don't even recall if it has a song mode at all... you get 8 different pattern variations per pattern as well the fill (which can be set to auto trigger or be triggered manually). You can chaning all of these pattern variations together (as long as they are in order) or manual switch to them. Part of the fun of using hardware sequencers is getting away from linear sequencing (seriously a computer is better for that) and having funn jamming with loops and making an arrangement on the fly.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
All you need is to set it to external MIDI sync and it will automatically start when you start the other sequencer.

And the TR-8 doesn't do bars but patterns... and I don't even recall if it has a song mode at all... you get 8 different pattern variations per pattern as well the fill (which can be set to auto trigger or be triggered manually). You can chaning all of these pattern variations together (as long as they are in order) or manual switch to them. Part of the fun of using hardware sequencers is getting away from linear sequencing (seriously a computer is better for that) and having funn jamming with loops and making an arrangement on the fly.
I get that - and why I went the way I did.

Thing is, Ill have my drum patterns (each pattern is usually a bar - split into 16ths, though could be 2 bars of 8ths or 1/2 of 32nds I guess - maybe better to see each step as a beat regardless of how many beats to a bar) on the TR8s - and my keys parts (bass lines, melodies etc) on pyramid.

The pyramid parts may be bars, or multiple bars. What I need is for the Pyramid and TR8s to be in sync so the bars start at the same time- playing them or not.

for instance. I may start the drum loops first, then later want to trigger a synth line. I need that synth line to start and the start of a bar. OR I may start with a synth drone, or stab part and want to bring the drums in. Again when they come in they need to be bang in time at the start of the bar.

I "could" just trigger the TRT8 from the pyramid...only TR8s doesnt support variations changes over Midi (NO idea why not .......) so unless I do the sequencing on pyramid (which has advantages and disadvantages) thats not going to work.

In an ideal world - Id trigger the patterns and variations from pyramid to keep everything in time - then drop instruments in/out and real time filter controls etc on the TR8s hardware, but doent look like its possible to do it that way. Ill have to look at Pyramid and see if I can sync that to the tR8s which may be another way to do this.

Im pretty sure Ill be able to do this - its just working out how. Roland manuals are not the best.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I get that - and why I went the way I did.

Thing is, Ill have my drum patterns (each pattern is usually a bar - split into 16ths, though could be 2 bars of 8ths or 1/2 of 32nds I guess - maybe better to see each step as a beat regardless of how many beats to a bar) on the TR8s - and my keys parts (bass lines, melodies etc) on pyramid.

The pyramid parts may be bars, or multiple bars. What I need is for the Pyramid and TR8s to be in sync so the bars start at the same time- playing them or not.

for instance. I may start the drum loops first, then later want to trigger a synth line. I need that synth line to start and the start of a bar. OR I may start with a synth drone, or stab part and want to bring the drums in. Again when they come in they need to be bang in time at the start of the bar.

I "could" just trigger the TRT8 from the pyramid...only TR8s doesnt support variations changes over Midi (NO idea why not .......) so unless I do the sequencing on pyramid (which has advantages and disadvantages) thats not going to work.

In an ideal world - Id trigger the patterns and variations from pyramid to keep everything in time - then drop instruments in/out and real time filter controls etc on the TR8s hardware, but doent look like its possible to do it that way. Ill have to look at Pyramid and see if I can sync that to the tR8s which may be another way to do this.

Im pretty sure Ill be able to do this - its just working out how. Roland manuals are not the best.
Just midi sync the TR-8S to the Pyramid and use mutes/faders to bring in/out the drums you want.

You can also sequence on the TR8S first and then record the pattern into a pattern of the Pyramid. Then clear the pattern on the TR-8S and sequence from the Pyramid.
Lives for gear

I think the first method is going to be the one I use - though it will be free running - I cant start it and it come in automatically at the start of a bar as such.

The second way isnt something I want. I can do that already using the Pyramid to sequence drum sounds on mu Fantom. It has some flexibility the TR8 doesnt have BUT its also limiting in other ways.

By that I mean you have many more patterns, and variations available, true polyrhythms, Euclidian sequences etc BUT you cant drop individual sounds in and out at will if you use all those patterns. If you use individual sounds per track you can - but then you cant really chance complete variations. You can if you sequence, but not in real time "jam" style.

Its the "jam" free style aspect Ive bought the TRR8s for. I just want to integrate the two units. The idea being to free form the rhythms stuff on the TR8s and to add synth lines, bass lines, stabs etc freely via pyramid. I know you can kind of do that on the TR8s but not as melodically as I want. The two together will work great as long as I can sync them.

i didnt really want to use the mutes etc all the time - I kind of wanted to be able to start the TR8s, and for it to actually start at the next bar in time with pyramid - but I dont think I can do that (correct me if Im wrong - Im just manual reading at present).

I can use mute's - or even variation A as completely blank - so it runs sync'd to pyramid but when I change variation - it will change at bar/pattern start. That might work.
Gear Addict
Quote:
I i didnt really want to use the mutes etc all the time - I kind of wanted to be able to start the TR8s, and for it to actually start at the next bar in time with pyramid - but I dont think I can do that (correct me if Im wrong - Im just manual reading at present).

I can use mute's - or even variation A as completely blank - so it runs sync'd to pyramid but when I change variation - it will change at bar/pattern start. That might work.
you literally have so many bars and patterns to work with on the tr8s that having blank ones strategically placed is the obvious solution. i think you making this harder for yourself than it needs to be.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidtechno View Post
you literally have so many bars and patterns to work with on the tr8s that having blank ones strategically placed is the obvious solution. i think you making this harder for yourself than it needs to be.
As I say - itsd inbound so cant "try things" yet. Ive read the manual so Im prepared - but the sync aspect is hardly covered (one line I think).

Just trying to prepare really. Im sure its very easy to do what I want once I get playing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
That sounds like the winner. I think the track mutes are an important part of performing with this instrument. Or faders if you prefer.
Gear Maniac

Routing subharmonicon and grandmother into TR-8S

What's the best way for me to route my Subhamonicon and Grandmother(two monos) into TR-8s audio inputs so I can hear them all via headphone jack ?

I'm assuming it's via ext. in left and right channels utilizing TRS 1/4" cables so I can assign each of the channels to a synth and control their volume/gain levels from there ?

Thanks in advance.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappacat View Post
What's the best way for me to route my Subhamonicon and Grandmother(two monos) into TR-8s audio inputs so I can hear them all via headphone jack ?

I'm assuming it's via ext. in left and right channels utilizing TRS 1/4" cables so I can assign each of the channels to a synth and control their volume/gain levels from there ?

Thanks in advance.
I believe both of those synths are unbalanced output so TS instead of TRS cables.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Applying Sidechain to the EXT Inputs What is BD ?

Applying Sidechain to the EXT Inputs
1 Press the Utility Button to view the Utility screen.
2 Hold Shift and turn the Value Knob to select EXT IN: Type and press Enter.
3 Turn the Value Knob to select Stereo.
4 Hold Shift and press Kit to view the Kit Edit screen.
5 Hold Shift and turn the Value Knob to select EXT IN SideChnSrc and press Enter.
6 Turn the Value Knob to select BD and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select SideChnType and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select the desired SideChnType and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select SideChnDpt and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select a Side Chain Depth of 255 and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select EXT IN Gain and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to adjust the External Input Gain as desired and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select EXT IN Pan and press Enter.
Turn the Value Knob to select CENTER and press Enter.

In setp 6 what does the abbreviation BD stand for ? Is it Bass Drum because it defaults to channel 1 which is bass drum by default or does it mean something else ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
[...]

In setp 6 what does the abbreviation BD stand for ? Is it Bass Drum because it defaults to channel 1 which is bass drumb by default or does it mean something else ?
Yes, it's Bass Drum.
Lives for gear

Quote:
... what does the abbreviation BD stand for ? Is it Bass Drum because it defaults to channel 1 which is bass drum by default or does it mean something else ?
yes, Bass Drum.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Any of you all replace the rubber feet on yours? My TR8s came new with them uneven and the unit rocks back and forth. After a year of this, I finally had enough lol. Just curious if I'm the only one who has uneven feet and where I could track down some replacements.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Any of you all replace the rubber feet on yours? My TR8s came new with them uneven and the unit rocks back and forth. After a year of this, I finally had enough lol. Just curious if I'm the only one who has uneven feet and where I could track down some replacements.
Funny you should mention this, I was just noticing some wobbling last night. I thought it was probably the piece of wood I had it resting on but I couldn't find a stable position for it. I'll have to do more experiments to see if it's the feet or the wood.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Funny you should mention this, I was just noticing some wobbling last night. I thought it was probably the piece of wood I had it resting on but I couldn't find a stable position for it. I'll have to do more experiments to see if it's the feet or the wood.
Its not the desk in my case. All my other gear is very stable on it.
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
What a great thread! I just wanted to thank everyone here for all the information about the TR-8S. I've been slowly reading this thread ever since I got the TR-8S three weeks ago, finally got to page 160 today.

I quit making music 15 years ago, but this box got me back into it. Couldn't be happier.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Its not the desk in my case. All my other gear is very stable on it.
My electribe es2 was wobbly, had to bend the casing a little to make it right again. Could be the same?
📝 Reply