The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Sadly this is most likely true. Roland is not particularly good at keeping fresh their products, they bring them out and keep on moving. “Do you have a problem with bugs or something? Then buy the new one we’ve just released that solves all the quirks that bothered you. You don’t want to and want to receive adequate and fair support from the company you bought your product from? Yeah well that’s your problem”. ...
Roland has been pretty aggressive with bug-fixes and improvements for the TR-8S (and other recent products) so far. not sure if i've heard of any existing bugs as it is now. some decent workflow enhancements since its release as well.

it'd be nice if they could keep improving on it, but that's something that i've never expected of any product before Elektron came along. you really can't go around expecting everything to be updated and improved long after you've purchased it. the TR-8S does what it set out, and it does it very well. i never bought a product expecting it to have new features introduced for years to come (or really at all).

any new products are quite an obvious step up from what came before them in many ways. can you imagine them trying to fit all the functionality of the MC-909 into the MC-303, or even the 505? that's pretty much what you're asking for.

Last edited by jbuonacc; 18th September 2019 at 12:11 AM..
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
... The other thing people want - which I've made a workaround for is have alternative sounds on each sound. ...
wow, i never would have thought to do that. awesome.

Quote:
But then there is not filter.... :(
well, you have an LFO, velocity->filter and multiple outouts to play with too.
what do you mean no filter? isn't the filter available on all samples?
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Roland has been pretty aggressive with bug-fixes and improvements for the TR-8S so far. not sure if i've heard of any existing bugs as it is now. some decent workflow enhancements since its release as well.
Well I think that’s to be expected, specially with a product that has a year or so since launch, which incidentally is why I find Roland’s (likely) neglect of support a bit disappointing.

Quote:
any new products are quite an obvious step up from what came before them in many ways. can you imagine them trying to fit all the functionality of the MC-909 into the MC-303, or even the 505? that's pretty much what you're asking for.
I didn’t mentioned what I was asking for, but just to clear it out, what I’m asking is a bit of refinement of what’s otherwise a great drum machine. Things like unquantized recording or nudge of notes, or the ability to record changes to start and end of samples (which I think hasn’t been added), more reverbs, more delays, things like that. I don’t think asking them to make refinements to a relatively new product should sound unreasonable, if any it would help improve sales if people know they’re supporting it, instead of getting rid of them in exchange for a newer product, thus getting sales down. I don’t want/need it to be an MC707 if that’s what you’re refering to, but I’m sure there’s still potential to be a “better” drum machine without cannibalizing on the MC.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
I'm about to but a new mixer/interface and I'm trying to figure out how many inputs I need.

How useful or important is it to send individual TR-8S instruments to their own output, versus just using stereo out?
Anyone?
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:

what do you mean no filter? isn't the filter available on all samples?
Oh I only meant being able to change the filter on the fly because the rate would be assigned to the ctrl knob.
But of course you can navigate to the filter to tweak via the value knob.

but if you want something automated - you still have an LFO, velocity to filter env and the individual outs for output to another device - such a lil' cheap monotron, guitar pedal or the incoming korg NTS-1.

I'm giving all my secrets away

(Won't be getting rid of my TR8S)
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict
I don't think Roland have abandoned the TR8S.
It sounds like those saying that, abandoned the TR8S themselves Though I did take note most of those people have also said they are happy with it.

Yes there's a few things that we all want, but it seems like Roland are (intentionally) making these products not overlap too much, so as to be used together.
Like they are designing their Aira environment/ecosystem. They probably did put the TR8S on the back bench in order to get the grooveboxes out.
We're having a whine because we have to spend more money.
They are similar, yet different enough to still be supported and still have individual updates applied to each, and I reckon we still have something coming eventually.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone?
I would say it’s important for mixing your music, having individual sounds on their own tracks make easy EG. to add sidechaining and fx. Although the TR already sends all instruments via USB so I wouldn’t waste channels on my interface for that.

If you are performing live, they could be used to route sounds to fx pedals.

Other (rather cool) use of the individual outs is that they can be used to output triggers to clock other synths’ sequencer. So, in addition to the trigger out the TR already has, you get 8 more (leaving you with just 3 tracks of coursej.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Anyone?
Hard question because it really depends how you want to work and what other gear you have.
You can send all Insts to a DAW over USB.
If you don't use a DAW, then thats a good reason to. Or if you have guitar pedals or other effects laying around, thats a reason to as well - but it can be a can of worms.....

Although I have the intention to - I haven't even used the individual outs for audio yet - just tested using them as trigger outs.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear
Does anyone know if there’s a notable sonic difference between the Tr8 and Tr8s in regards to the 808 and 909 emulations-
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
Does anyone know if there’s a notable sonic difference between the Tr8 and Tr8s in regards to the 808 and 909 emulations-
The TR8S is said to sound better due to it being a 2nd gen ACB.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict
Speak of the devil:

Not abandoned

https://www.roland.com/global/suppor...-52eba6579d0b/
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone?
i think it sounds great just through the stereo outs (with some decent options for getting everything to sit right in the mix), but as was said it depends on what you're looking to do.

Quote:
Oh I only meant being able to change the filter on the fly because the rate would be assigned to the ctrl knob.
But of course you can navigate to the filter to tweak via the value knob.

but if you want something automated - you still have an LFO, velocity to filter env and the individual outs for output to another device - such a lil' cheap monotron, guitar pedal or the incoming korg NTS-1.

I'm giving all my secrets away

(Won't be getting rid of my TR8S)
awesome, thanks.

Quote:
Speak of the devil:

Not abandoned
lol... and here i am hoping that they threw in some new features with the update.
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Figures
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Doesn’t seem like this update gives us much
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
The TR-8S gives you more 808/909 sounds to pick from.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Doesn’t seem like this update gives us much
I agree. It's just a very minor bug fix.
Old 18th September 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
great, thanks Roland.

I'm remaining hopeful that they're waiting until after the main sales push for the 101/707 (Christmas?) before throwing TR-8S users a bone. conditionaltrigsconditionaltrigsconditionaltrigs
Old 10th October 2019
Lives for gear

Wow, a whole bunch of videos from Roland that should be really useful to those who don't like manuals:

Old 10th October 2019
Gear Addict

A bit late isn't it?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Wow, a whole bunch of videos from Roland that should be really useful to those who don't like manuals:

Nice one.

I was actually digging into my TR8S yesterday so these are welcome.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
I've had TR8S for like 6 months already and I learned so much new on the videos. Especially the reverb/delay send stuff. Always done them slowly through the settings for every kit. I should really start reading those manuals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

@ ToyBox Nice spot, loads in there...really useful...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for sharing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

The mixer video on the TR8s is super useful. I've read the manual but I somehow missed this. Wow
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just returned my TR-8S after Elektron announced that the latest update to their Analog Rytm II allows for sending pattern data via MIDI so I can record it into my DAW (as the TR-8S does).

I did enjoy the TR-8S. It does somethings better than the ARII (the different colour yellow steps to denote sub steps for example or how quick it is to create a new kit with all the built-in sounds), but, the forced quantization / lack of per-step “micro timing” and lack of song mode swung it in Elektron’s favour now that its MIDI is finally in the 21st century.

Good machine though but I also wish it had the same build quality as the ARII or even the TR-08, which is built like a tank apart from the mini connectors. Not a fan of the light plastic build.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

These videos came a year after I had all mine up showing all this and more.https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...UH9RW3P9SpqmVs

Don't lose faith in the TR-8S. More updates are coming.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
... Not a fan of the light plastic build.
i sure wouldn't call it a "light plastic build".
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i sure wouldn't call it a "light plastic build".
Really? What would you call it?

I mean no offence but compared to the TR-08 (metal), TR-09 (metal), the ARII (metal) and the RD-8 (metal) it feels decidedly “plastic” to these hands.

That obviously has some weight advantages if people plan on chucking it in a backpack etc, but for me I’d rather a studio drum machine be more solid.

That’s just my personal preference, of course, and doesn’t detract from how capable the TR-8S is, functionally.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
what I’m asking is a bit of refinement of what’s otherwise a great drum machine.
Sorry dude. I can't help myself. All I read here is: WAAAAAAAA! Crybaby has an admittedly great drum machine but still wants more. Look, every device can't be everything to everyone. Take things for what they are and not what you think they should or could be.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Really? What would you call it?
"heavy plastic build"? it's not exactly flimsy, i don't see much benefit in it having a metal casing.

the old R-8 drum machine was mostly plastic and that was solid as hell. same with the new Maschine MK3, that thing is a rock. the original MK1 i might agree is a "light plastic build" (i guess?), or even something like the TR-707/626/505.

they really did a great job with the Boutique series though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search