The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme517 View Post
My understanding is that it CANNOT be done...I read the manual and checked out a few online resources. Where I most want it it with patterns that have a swing...I want the subdivisions to be swung as well...at least for the roots reggae stuff I am programming.
Can you use a delay effect to get what you want? I don't know if you can apply FX parameter changes per step on the TR8S?
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
So you are saying you have just a 1 bar pattern for the verse, one bar for the chorus etc?

That's a very simplistic and limited way of song structure. And you always have to use the patterns in the same order. Basically what the TR-8s has with the A-H knobs is an 8 bar pattern. 8 bars is not a song. It can be but then it is super basic.
Actually you have 16 x 8 variations.

In Pattern Select mode you can press multiple step keys and then these will play in order - you can skip some out if you like.

This is not a song mode but instead a pattern chaining mode, which is still very useful, the only downside is there is no loop x times for each step/pattern - that would pretty much make it a song mode.

Personally I don't really care for song mode - there's plenty of other features I'd like to see first.
Old 19th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
So you are saying you have just a 1 bar pattern for the verse, one bar for the chorus etc?

That's a very simplistic and limited way of song structure. And you always have to use the patterns in the same order. Basically what the TR-8s has with the A-H knobs is an 8 bar pattern. 8 bars is not a song. It can be but then it is super basic.
Pattern 1, verse 1.
Pattern 2, verse 2.
Pattern 3, chorus.
Pattern 4, verse 1.
Pattern 5, bridge.
Pattern 6, verse 2.
Pattern 7, outro.
You can have different variations on every single pattern if you want. Then select them all and let the whole song play through. Not limited at all. Limitless, actually. It can be in any order, different bpms, different swing settings, different kit for each pattern but all the same song. I do it all the time. Im most likely not explaining it correctly but I'm pretty sure it's song mode. I've recorded entire songs with completely different verses and choruses without ever touching a single button other than play (and selecting the first and last pattern in the song, of course).

Last edited by Mort Chud; 19th August 2019 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Chud View Post
Pattern 1, verse 1.
Pattern 2, verse 2.
Pattern 3, chorus.
Pattern 4, verse 1.
Pattern 5, bridge.
Pattern 6, verse.
Pattern 7, outro.
You can have different variations on every single pattern if you want. Then select them all and let the whole song play through. Not limited at all. Limitless, actually. It can be in any order, different bpms, different swing settings, different kit for each pattern but all the same song. I do it all the time. Im most likely not explaining it correctly but I'm pretty sure it's song mode.
ok, that makes sense. I thought you were only using variations, not pattern chaining. I have never used pattern chaining since I always record it directly in a DAW. But I agree it can be useful if you want to step out of 8 bar phrases.
Old 19th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
Actually you have 16 x 8 variations.

In Pattern Select mode you can press multiple step keys and then these will play in order - you can skip some out if you like.

This is not a song mode but instead a pattern chaining mode, which is still very useful, the only downside is there is no loop x times for each step/pattern - that would pretty much make it a song mode.

Personally I don't really care for song mode - there's plenty of other features I'd like to see first.
Just put the same part on two separate pattern slots in a row to loop it. And right on, pattern chaining sounds about right.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Roland opted to leave out a true Song Mode, but did include the ability to change patterns and/or kits via MIDI program-change messages.

So, if you are using any other MIDI sequencer in your rig, you can just insert program changes and you're good-to-go. This is actually how a lot of people did things "back in the day", as it enabled easier editing of songs. You didn't have to copy/paste the sequenced parts AND then edit the drum-machine as well.

As such, it's a bit of an irritation, but not necessarily a show-stopper. I'd still like a Song Mode, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrible.dee View Post
You'll be very disappointed in the Analog Heat...It is not what it appears to be...nor provides the sounds it implies it does.
Most people absolutely love it. And it’s exactly what it appears to be: a stereo analog distortion and multi-mode stereo analog filter with beat sync-able LFO’s and envelope followers for modulation, plus the ability to run as a plugin from your DAW.

There’s really nothing else like it on the market. Seems like a perfect match for a TR-8S.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Analog View Post
Most people absolutely love it. And it’s exactly what it appears to be: a stereo analog distortion and multi-mode stereo analog filter with beat sync-able LFO’s and envelope followers for modulation, plus the ability to run as a plugin from your DAW.

There’s really nothing else like it on the market. Seems like a perfect match for a TR-8S.
TR-8S pretty much has it built-in already, no need for the Analog Heat:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

going to have to read backwards through this thread but what is the extent of the parameter locks of this unit, compared to the digitakt?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
TR-8S pretty much has it built-in already, no need for the Analog Heat:

Credit where it's due, Roland provided some very effective effects on the TR-8S. Master FX set to distortion yields rather tasty results. Your demo shows that off!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hmmmm, nothing else like it...Except the NIIO Analog Track Thickener- which blows the AH out of the cosmos.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake View Post
Credit where it's due, Roland provided some very effective effects on the TR-8S. Master FX set to distortion yields rather tasty results. Your demo shows that off!
The effects in the TR-8S are nice to have and useful. But I don't think that the effects are really great sounding. I don't think they can match the sound and quality of other more specialized fx machines. But I am not complaining. I am glad they are in there but there is certainly room for improvement. Especially the reverbs en drives.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
Hmmmm, nothing else like it...Except the NIIO Analog Track Thickener- which blows the AH out of the cosmos.
And where could you buy a new NIIO Analog Track Thickener these days?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomachine View Post
And where could you buy a new NIIO Analog Track Thickener these days?

The lucky market, or you could just get the Iotine Core 4, which completely renders the AH irrelevant.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain 8 View Post
going to have to read backwards through this thread but what is the extent of the parameter locks of this unit, compared to the digitakt?
Digitakt goes deeper. On the TR-8S what you can automate is mainly most of the front panel knobs* and a few buttons. You can record real time or hold down steps to draw automation. Overall closer to Korg's motion record than Elektron p-locks.

*For the CTRL knobs this creates a bit of conflict because it's the knob that's automated rather than the parameter it's assigned to. You can't use it to automate various under the hood parameters.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSC View Post
The lucky market, or you could just get the Iotine Core 4, which completely renders the AH irrelevant.
Looks really cool. It’s about twice the price of the AH with less flexible filters, no MIDI, rack mounted instead of desktop and no Overbridge or equivalent for DAW integration. If anything, bringing this unit up in comparison reinforces that there’s really nothing else like the Analog Heat available on the market.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have the trig out mated to my TB 03 trig in, but I've noticed that it skips over the first step occasionally, it's weird. I'll try to replicate it reliably. Could be the cable (trs instead of ts, still have to get a 1/8" ts cable)
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've noticed that some of the preset kits have blanked out instrument patches. Like, there's a sample assigned and it has effects configured but you can't hear anything playing it live or by seqeuncing. And the light on the sequencer for that instrument is off. Whats going on here? An example is the Hi Tom from Kit 37 (Rap With Me)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by natively View Post
I've noticed that some of the preset kits have blanked out instrument patches. Like, there's a sample assigned and it has effects configured but you can't hear anything playing it live or by seqeuncing. And the light on the sequencer for that instrument is off. Whats going on here? An example is the Hi Tom from Kit 37 (Rap With Me)
I don't have it in front of me so I can't say for sure but it's possible that those instruments have been grouped with other ones in the kit? e.g. HC grouped with SD, so every hit of the snare will also trigger the clap, IIRC this removes the light from the latter instrument (earliest one gets priority) and effectively makes them a single, stacked hit with a shared sequence.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilb View Post
I don't have it in front of me so I can't say for sure but it's possible that those instruments have been grouped with other ones in the kit? e.g. HC grouped with SD, so every hit of the snare will also trigger the clap, IIRC this removes the light from the latter instrument (earliest one gets priority) and effectively makes them a single, stacked hit with a shared sequence.
Wow thanks! That must be it. I've read the manual but I must have skimmed over this.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by natively View Post
Maybe they are routed to an assignable output? So not to the master out.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psoul View Post
anyone know how to picth from computer with control change, i read midi but not so much into, any info for dummies like me?
No,

You need to start from the beginning and LEARN HOW THIS STUFF WORKS.

Another poster already gave you a general outline on how you might go about achieving what you want....and told you to forget it because it will be a massive pain in the a$$..

...But you say "No, I want to do it THIS way, I don't care if it's a pain....can someone do it for me?"

Learn MIDI, learn how to use what you own and don't try and get others to do your work for you.

At the end of the day, YOU will be 100% better off, anyone who does do your work for you isn't doing you a favor.

But what I don't understand is this: You say you've GOT melodies programmed from your TR8s, and don't want to have to go through the hasstle of reprograming them in your DAW...Soooo, why do you need help doing what you've already done?

Just do whatever you did when you programmed those melodies in the first place??
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

had quite a revelation recently with the TR-8S. one of my main reasons for buying it was the ability to load your own samples, my plan was to use a number of channels in each kit/pattern to play back synth loops, etc from the DAW. shortly after buying it i ran into some limitations which took away some enthusiasm, i'm always trying to figure out what would be the best way to get around these things.

- each pattern can be up 8 bars (Variations) in length. you can only have one sample per channel, so you can have one loop that "animates" over 8 bars or a shorter loop that repeats (a 4-bar loop triggered on Variation A and E if you set them to play in order). this would either eat up a lot of sampling time using a number of evolving 8-bar loops, or probably get a bit repetitive using shorter loops. wasn't sure which way to go with it, ended up doing nothing. you're limited to loading up to 500 samples into the TR-8S, but i just used an old trick that will allow you to at least double the amount of available time for user samples (i think it's 600 seconds stereo/1200 seconds mono, now twice that with this method):

tried this with the TR-8S this afternoon and it worked pretty well. i recorded a 4-bar loop in Ableton at 130 bpm, then pitched it up +12 (so that it played twice as fast, requiring half the sample time) and recorded a 2-bar loop of that. loaded both of them into the TR-8S...

got the normal sample looping using four chained Variations. loaded the shorter sample onto the next channel and set Coarse Tune to -12 (you can also set the sample Rate parameter to 0.50 and it'll do the same thing). i found that i need to lower the normal sample by 6db to match them, and i almost think that the pitched-down loop lost a bit of high frequency action. i was able to bring this back with touch of filter resonance and dropping the cutoff a bit, after that they sounded identical. you can easily double your available user sample time on the TR-8S and MC-707/101 with this method.

- another problem is that you can only use one sample per channel/kit/pattern (no "sample lock" function like on the Elektrons). not too bad, at least you can switch to another pattern/kit that's set up the same exact for the sample that you want to change (let's say a tweaked 303 acid line). this always felt like a bit of a kludge, wasting patterns/kits just to change up one part. again, got discouraged thinking about this and the machine sat for about a year doing nothing. today i was reminded of a pretty good solution:

once a sample is imported into memory it can be loaded/swapped into any instrument/channel almost instantly (though the old one stops playing as soon as you switch and the new sampler sits waiting for the next trigger). no real need to switch patterns/kits for this, you can do a "manual sample lock" whenever you need. if you'd got an acid bass loop getting a bit boring, you can hit the INST button and switch to another loop (helps if they're placed in the order that you want to recall them). if you time it right or drop the volume when switching you can get it pretty seamless. you can use just one pattern and keep it evolving just by swapping samples in and out as you go. the MC-707 got me thinking like this.

i wish i had realized all this over a year ago when i bought it, i couldn't figure out a solution for incorporating loops from the DAW that didn't seem like a compromise. these two things open up all sorts of possibilities for me and make the TR-8S an even greater value. makes me question whether or not i really need the MC-707.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

i wish i had realized all this over a year ago when i bought it, i couldn't figure out a solution for incorporating loops from the DAW that didn't seem like a compromise. these two things open up all sorts of possibilities for me and make the TR-8S an even greater value. makes me question whether or not i really need the MC-707.
That seems like a very complicated and cumbersome workaround! Not something I would do.

About the MC-707. It has a CR-78 kit. Do you think that they now will make it available for the TR-8S as well?

Seems to me they completely abandoned the TR8-S. The last real update was august 2018. Besides some very small bug fixes nothing new was added since then. And now they are busy with their new stuff. This seems the way it works and how most products end. Hey it's Roland....

I don't expect constant updates or whatever but it would be nice that something is added from time to time so we know we are not forgotten.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
had quite a revelation recently with the TR-8S. one of my main reasons for buying it was the ability to load your own samples, my plan was to use a number of channels in each kit/pattern to play back synth loops, etc from the DAW. shortly after buying it i ran into some limitations which took away some enthusiasm, i'm always trying to figure out what would be the best way to get around these things.

- each pattern can be up 8 bars (Variations) in length. you can only have one sample per channel, so you can have one loop that "animates" over 8 bars or a shorter loop that repeats (a 4-bar loop triggered on Variation A and E if you set them to play in order). this would either eat up a lot of sampling time using a number of evolving 8-bar loops, or probably get a bit repetitive using shorter loops. wasn't sure which way to go with it, ended up doing nothing. you're limited to loading up to 500 samples into the TR-8S, but i just used an old trick that will allow you to at least double the amount of available time for user samples (i think it's 600 seconds stereo/1200 seconds mono, now twice that with this method):

tried this with the TR-8S this afternoon and it worked pretty well. i recorded a 4-bar loop in Ableton at 130 bpm, then pitched it up +12 (so that it played twice as fast, requiring half the sample time) and recorded a 2-bar loop of that. loaded both of them into the TR-8S...

got the normal sample looping using four chained Variations. loaded the shorter sample onto the next channel and set Coarse Tune to -12 (you can also set the sample Rate parameter to 0.50 and it'll do the same thing). i found that i need to lower the normal sample by 6db to match them, and i almost think that the pitched-down loop lost a bit of high frequency action. i was able to bring this back with touch of filter resonance and dropping the cutoff a bit, after that they sounded identical. you can easily double your available user sample time on the TR-8S and MC-707/101 with this method.

- another problem is that you can only use one sample per channel/kit/pattern (no "sample lock" function like on the Elektrons). not too bad, at least you can switch to another pattern/kit that's set up the same exact for the sample that you want to change (let's say a tweaked 303 acid line). this always felt like a bit of a kludge, wasting patterns/kits just to change up one part. again, got discouraged thinking about this and the machine sat for about a year doing nothing. today i was reminded of a pretty good solution:

once a sample is imported into memory it can be loaded/swapped into any instrument/channel almost instantly (though the old one stops playing as soon as you switch and the new sampler sits waiting for the next trigger). no real need to switch patterns/kits for this, you can do a "manual sample lock" whenever you need. if you'd got an acid bass loop getting a bit boring, you can hit the INST button and switch to another loop (helps if they're placed in the order that you want to recall them). if you time it right or drop the volume when switching you can get it pretty seamless. you can use just one pattern and keep it evolving just by swapping samples in and out as you go. the MC-707 got me thinking like this.

I've been doing this for quite a while - when I sampled my Juno and OB6. However because these were pitched sounds, instead of pitching it up after, I simply played up the octave.
Not only to save space - I found higher sounds pitched down sound better than lower sounds pitched up - not fidelity wise - just simply the timbre of the sound.
The other reason - is because these are pitched sounds and we do not have access to creating, or even editing the loop point of a sample, I want the sounds to play for a significant length of time.

Rate - is your friend - some of mine are even set to .25.

The other thing people want - which I've made a workaround for is have alternative sounds on each sound.
Instead of swapping the sample out like you have done - I prepare them in Ableton.
The two I want to share a pad, I line them up next to each other and then reverse the second one - sometimes if it doesn't compromise the sounds, I let them overlap and crossfade their tails - just to save that extra bit of sample time.
When you load them in the positive and negative values of "Rate" determine which sound is played.
Unless you want to also adjust the decay for each alternative sound, it's best to have the tails at the centre of the sample - so if for example - you have a 909 kik and an 808 kik which is much longer - you may want to have some dead air after the 909 so that the 808 tail does not start playing after the 909 kick. You can motion sequence the decay - just depends what you want - extra effort vs sample-time.

Having a "default rate" as .5 is ideal because then you can move from plus and minus .25 and 1 to go up and down one octave, so using motion sequencing rate and tune can get the same range as course tune - plus you have alternative sounds!

But then there is not filter.... :(
well, you have an LFO, velocity->filter and multiple outouts to play with too.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

I'm about to but a new mixer/interface and I'm trying to figure out how many inputs I need.

How useful or important is it to send individual TR-8S instruments to their own output, versus just using stereo out?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That seems like a very complicated and cumbersome workaround! Not something I would do.
i'm not entirely sure that i'll need to do either of them, but it's nice to have more options.

Quote:
About the MC-707. It has a CR-78 kit. Do you think that they now will make it available for the TR-8S as well?
they're just samples. i'm surprised that the TR-8S doesn't have them already, but there's plenty out there.

Quote:
Seems to me they completely abandoned the TR8-S. The last real update was august 2018. Besides some very small bug fixes nothing new was added since then. And now they are busy with their new stuff. This seems the way it works and how most products end. Hey it's Roland....

I don't expect constant updates or whatever but it would be nice that something is added from time to time so we know we are not forgotten.
ugh.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sadly this is most likely true. Roland is not particularly good at keeping fresh their products, they bring them out and keep on moving. “Do you have a problem with bugs or something? Then buy the new one we’ve just released that solves all the quirks that bothered you. You don’t want to and want to receive adequate and fair support from the company you bought your product from? Yeah well that’s your problem”. I knew this from them when I had an MC, back a few years, and fell for it again. When you buy Roland you have to make sure you’re ok with what you’re getting, because you ain’t getting anything more.

Rant over, sorry! Move along...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
Sadly this is most likely true. Roland is not particularly good at keeping fresh their products, they bring them out and keep on moving. “Do you have a problem with bugs or something? Then buy the new one we’ve just released that solves all the quirks that bothered you.
Yes, but then you discover some bugs in the new machine and the cycle continues...haha

It's not only Roland that does this though. Most companies these days do this.

You are right. Just make it happen with what you've got. As long as there no major bugs I can live with that.
I see every update as a nice surprise or present.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

With the AH it really is all about gain staging. It can be made sound bad easily if driven to hard.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search