The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 1st July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY View Post
Yes, it works the same way as the Virus Ti (and even better). It works like a VSTi. You have a VSTi panel and it streams the audio via USB directly into your DAW without notice. You can use it beside your main soundcard. The Virus ti has only 3 stereo outputs in your DAW, the AR MK2 streams every drumsound/channel to itś own output.
Awesome, thanks for info
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
just got the TR8S and i am loving it, just wondering without having to search through 133 pages- did Roland forget to have the CR-78 sounds put in, i mean the have every classic expect that one. I already managed to loud in my own samples but would have made sense for it to be stock from Roland.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
just got the TR8S and i am loving it, just wondering without having to search through 133 pages- did Roland forget to have the CR-78 sounds put in, i mean the have every classic expect that one. I already managed to loud in my own samples but would have made sense for it to be stock from Roland.
Well they don't have every classic in it. Just a few Roland classics. But there is a CR-78 sample tr8s kit from a forum member. Just search for it on YouTube.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodde View Post
Well they don't have every classic in it. Just a few Roland classics. But there is a CR-78 sample tr8s kit from a forum member. Just search for it on YouTube.
Sorry meant to say they just about every Roland classic
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideminder View Post
Awesome, thanks for info
Be warned though, I eventually got rid of my AR and A4 due to waiting forever for OB, and even then it barely worked. Each time it booted up I had a different experience.

I love my TR-8S
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
You make it sound like Roland's planning to release an ACB CR-78 kit as an update!

Fingers crossed for the 78-day! (The 7th of August will do brilliantly, Roland! The sooner the better! ;-)
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yammy GS1 View Post
You make it sound like Roland's planning to release an ACB CR-78 kit as an update!

Fingers crossed for the 78-day! (The 7th of August will do brilliantly, Roland! The sooner the better! ;-)
It would make sense not sure why they haven’t yet.
Old 13th July 2019
Gear Addict
Hi,
I finally finished a standalone application version of my TR8Skreamer Max for Live device.
This allows you to play the each sample in the TR8S via a midi keyboard - either using Course Tune for 4 Octaves or Tune for 2 octaves, with the later freeing up the Ctrl Knob to be assigned to another parameter.

This means now you don't have to be an Ableton user to be able to use it. And if you have some virtual Midi port software like MIDIOX or something I'm sure you could integrate this with Logic, Reaper FL etc - whatever DAW you use, as the Standalone simply uses any Midi port as input.

Also now you can use your QWERTY keyboard to play too - which I find even easier for some uses.

There is also an update to the previous Max for Live device which allows you to control the Capture note on/off on all instances of the device - which makes it easier to send all 11 instruments pitch data at once in one pass, if you have made a full arrangement in Ableton for example.

Unfortunately at the moment, I have to say it is Mac only - the Windows version is completely untested as of yet, because the Windows machine I borrowed from work to compile the app has it's MIDI/Audio ports disabled and I don't have admin rights! :(

So - if you happen to use both Mac and Windows I'd be VERY curious to find out if the Windows version works!

(The Max for Live device works on both platforms)

Anyway here's a demo -
Skip to 10:37 for the demo, as the first bit is the how-to-install stuff.

Old 14th July 2019
Gyu
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechnatunk View Post
Hi,
I finally finished a standalone application version of my TR8Skreamer Max for Live device.
This allows you to play the each sample in the TR8S via a midi keyboard - either using Course Tune for 4 Octaves or Tune for 2 octaves, with the later freeing up the Ctrl Knob to be assigned to another parameter.

This means now you don't have to be an Ableton user to be able to use it. And if you have some virtual Midi port software like MIDIOX or something I'm sure you could integrate this with Logic, Reaper FL etc - whatever DAW you use, as the Standalone simply uses any Midi port as input.

Also now you can use your QWERTY keyboard to play too - which I find even easier for some uses.

There is also an update to the previous Max for Live device which allows you to control the Capture note on/off on all instances of the device - which makes it easier to send all 11 instruments pitch data at once in one pass, if you have made a full arrangement in Ableton for example.

Unfortunately at the moment, I have to say it is Mac only - the Windows version is completely untested as of yet, because the Windows machine I borrowed from work to compile the app has it's MIDI/Audio ports disabled and I don't have admin rights! :(

So - if you happen to use both Mac and Windows I'd be VERY curious to find out if the Windows version works!

(The Max for Live device works on both platforms)

Anyway here's a demo -
Skip to 10:37 for the demo, as the first bit is the how-to-install stuff.

Mate, this looks great!
I've been really missing having the filter cutoff on the ctrl knob after automating the coarse tune.
Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
It's coming. It's on Microsoft's roadmap. They discussed it at NAMM2019. If I had a link to the presentation, I'd send it.
Hi, would you mind elaborating on this at all? What was said and who by?
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted a3c6337
Can't decide between the TR-8S and Analog Rytm MKII... Any comments? Went down the Elektron rabbit hole and swore I wouldn't go back but I need a drum machine... The performance aspect of the TR-8S is way more appealing, the disparity between sound quality is what I'm concerned about... though I only record and don't play live currently.

Anyone have some input?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinital View Post
Can't decide between the TR-8S and Analog Rytm MKII... Any comments? Went down the Elektron rabbit hole and swore I wouldn't go back but I need a drum machine... The performance aspect of the TR-8S is way more appealing, the disparity between sound quality is what I'm concerned about... though I only record and don't play live currently.

Anyone have some input?
The TR8S really sounds fine but it probably depends on what style of music you want to create.

The Elektron is more programmable as you probably know, and more suitable for quirky electronica. The MK2 is overpriced (like all Elektron gear) and prone to hardware and/or firmware issues. MK1 is pretty much rock solid.

Never buy direct from Elektron- if it's faulty you have to send it back to Sweden at your own cost (insuring it against damage or loss in transit will cost a lot) and they take their sweet time to fix stuff. Sometimes they send it back without a proper fix.
This is all info I gathered when I was browsing the awful Elektron forums. They are the worse company in the scene IMO. Seriously deceptive and greedy.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted a3c6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treebase DMX View Post
The TR8S really sounds fine but it probably depends on what style of music you want to create.

The Elektron is more programmable as you probably know, and more suitable for quirky electronica. The MK2 is overpriced (like all Elektron gear) and prone to hardware and/or firmware issues. MK1 is pretty much rock solid.

Never buy direct from Elektron- if it's faulty you have to send it back to Sweden at your own cost (insuring it against damage or loss in transit will cost a lot) and they take their sweet time to fix stuff. Sometimes they send it back without a proper fix.
This is all info I gathered when I was browsing the awful Elektron forums. They are the worse company in the scene IMO. Seriously deceptive and greedy.
Yea that's a big reason I strayed away from them. Yes with step length per pattern/track you can make poly rhythms but it always lends itself to being four on the floor, exceedingly overpriced and they release things half finished relative to their final lifecycle update... I had a Digitone at the time the major update was released alongside the Digitone Keys. I remember reading a comment about them being GAS machines and I'd have to agree, they're nothing like they used to be... I wish I was around for the Monomachine and Machindrum...

If I'm just going to be doing four on the floor 90% of the time I'd rather snag a TR-8S and perform with it. My biggest influence electronically is Daft Punk.

The second problem is, if everything is "experimental" these days, that means nothing really is experimental anymore. I'm looking to get back to the basics of being a good performer/musician rather than letting the gear rule me. Just ordered a Fender Strat, really excited to have a new guitar for the first time in 12+ years. Now I'm saving for a Kemper while I use Line 6 Helix Native plugin...

If I snag the TR-8S that'd leave me to get the Elektron Analog Heat which could be the ultimate combo, even though that's the most overpriced Elektron box I can think of.... sigh.

The Roland SE-02 is actually the only synth I have right now, I sold off everything I had besides recording stuff like monitors and interfaces... This was the last to go but I got it new for $250... Might just keep it since it has a song mode and sounds very thick with a nice sequencer.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

The Roland SE-02 is actually the only synth I have right now...Might just keep it since it has a song mode and sounds very thick with a nice sequencer.
And it has a trigger input which can be fired up by the TR8S
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted a3c6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.I. Batule Chee View Post
And it has a trigger input which can be fired up by the TR8S
Ooo nice, thanks for the tip... That could be pretty interesting, they seem like a nice duo...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a3c6337 View Post
[...] I'm looking to get back to the basics of being a good performer/musician rather than letting the gear rule me. [...]
That's a big vote for the TR-8S, or other more stripped down drum machines. You want something that plays nice, sounds goods, and doesn't distract you with too many options, to focus on music rather than tech. I think the TR-8S falls in that category.

Sound-wise you'll have to try it. Out of the box it's quite polished, if that's not satisfactory it has tools for you to take it in the direction you want, and if that's still not good enough then you can worry about adding external help, be it Heat or else, it has I/O for that.

It won't do RAM, you need wicked live drummers for that, but I'd say Homework/Discovery/HAA are within its reach.

I'll note that it doesn't have a song mode thought so playing it and a guitar at the same time will have some limitations.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted a3c6337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
That's a big vote for the TR-8S, or other more stripped down drum machines. You want something that plays nice, sounds goods, and doesn't distract you with too many options, to focus on music rather than tech. I think the TR-8S falls in that category.

Sound-wise you'll have to try it. Out of the box it's quite polished, if that's not satisfactory it has tools for you to take it in the direction you want, and if that's still not good enough then you can worry about adding external help, be it Heat or else, it has I/O for that.

It won't do RAM, you need wicked live drummers for that, but I'd say Homework/Discovery/HAA are within its reach.

I'll note that it doesn't have a song mode thought so playing it and a guitar at the same time will have some limitations.
Yes that's exactly why I have considered it so much recently. The Digitakt allowed me to make good music, but it was so stale aside from altering a parameter or two here and there.

Conditional trigs are great and all but they just add pre-programmed (albeit digitally "random") minor variances to an otherwise repetitive groove. Still not quite what I am going for. The TR-8S is the only thing I could find that fits into the performance drum machine category with limitation but not too much.

Even if I get a drum machine to perform with, what I'll be doing is recording in single layers and overdubbing still... I'll get a groove going and record each component individually while playing the instrument, then I can properly time fills and breaks every x amount of bars, and then record the guitar transition over it, all to have a proper song with proper timings and lengths, etc... So everything will still be quite pre-programmed for performance but only because of recording it into the DAW, I'll at least be performing with the nuance I want even if I perform each instrument separately.
Old 3 weeks ago
Deleted a3c6337
Just got mine in the mail.

As someone with only Elektron drum machine experience but has played acoustic instruments for so long, I give it a glowing endorsement. The Elektron boxes simply don't touch this for performance and the time:good results ratio regardless of the possible depth which wasn't what I was looking for.

Going to be up all night with this one...

I really love this thing even after just the first few hours, it's just what I've dreamed of... I'm still young so I wasn't around to party in the 90s but loving Daft Punk so much, it's just an inspirational instrument. I have it synced to my Roland SE-02, easy trigger for syncing, it's a beautiful thing... I'm not much of an "ecosystem" type of tech person but I can definitely see myself snagging some more Roland gear, the SE-02 was my first ever after going through every brand I can think of.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Congrats!!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gyu
Gear Head

Quote:
Just got mine in the mail.

As someone with only Elektron drum machine experience but has played acoustic instruments for so long, I give it a glowing endorsement. The Elektron boxes simply don't touch this for performance and the time:good results ratio regardless of the possible depth which wasn't what I was looking for.

Going to be up all night with this one...

I really love this thing even after just the first few hours, it's just what I've dreamed of... I'm still young so I wasn't around to party in the 90s but loving Daft Punk so much, it's just an inspirational instrument. I have it synced to my Roland SE-02, easy trigger for syncing, it's a beautiful thing... I'm not much of an "ecosystem" type of tech person but I can definitely see myself snagging some more Roland gear, the SE-02 was my first ever after going through every brand I can think of.
Yeah it's great isn't it?
I know what you mean about Roland stuff. I had none, bought an mx1 and now I've got 4 Roland boxes. Love 'em!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Hoping for an update with song mode on 08.08...otherwise love the workflow of this thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Can someone tell me if the substep can be step programmed like a finer grid, or is it just a full fill at the subdivision?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I don't 100% know what you mean by the second option, but I can confirm that it's not the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
Can someone tell me if the substep can be step programmed like a finer grid, or is it just a full fill at the subdivision?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperocket View Post
Hoping for an update with song mode on 08.08...otherwise love the workflow of this thing.
Do you think there will be an update on 08.08? We haven't seen a real update with extras for a long time so I don't expect it. Some new kits and sounds would be nice though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted a3c6337 View Post
Yea that's a big reason I strayed away from them. Yes with step length per pattern/track you can make poly rhythms but it always lends itself to being four on the floor, exceedingly overpriced and they release things half finished relative to their final lifecycle update... I had a Digitone at the time the major update was released alongside the Digitone Keys. I remember reading a comment about them being GAS machines and I'd have to agree, they're nothing like they used to be... I wish I was around for the Monomachine and Machindrum...

If I'm just going to be doing four on the floor 90% of the time I'd rather snag a TR-8S and perform with it. My biggest influence electronically is Daft Punk.

The second problem is, if everything is "experimental" these days, that means nothing really is experimental anymore. I'm looking to get back to the basics of being a good performer/musician rather than letting the gear rule me. Just ordered a Fender Strat, really excited to have a new guitar for the first time in 12+ years. Now I'm saving for a Kemper while I use Line 6 Helix Native plugin...

If I snag the TR-8S that'd leave me to get the Elektron Analog Heat which could be the ultimate combo, even though that's the most overpriced Elektron box I can think of.... sigh.

The Roland SE-02 is actually the only synth I have right now, I sold off everything I had besides recording stuff like monitors and interfaces... This was the last to go but I got it new for $250... Might just keep it since it has a song mode and sounds very thick with a nice sequencer.
You'll be very disappointed in the Analog Heat...It is not what it appears to be...nor provides the sounds it implies it does.

You've been warned.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Wow...I just got a TR-8S last night. I'm having a blast with it! I haven't messed with sequencing or a drum machine for a while, but wanting it as a practice tool and for incorporating into situations with live musicians and also a hip hop project.

I've been a sucker for 808 sounds since the '80s. Also, way into reggae...so my first task was to build a reggae drum kit and program some patterns. I'm loving what I've got going using an 808 kick and then a bunch of other samples to round out the sounds I want available. The ability to really customize a kit by really dialing things in and using the effects is AWESOME!!! And then the knobs and faders are way too much fun...I had a great time really dubbing everything out using filters, verb, and delay.

I'm on the waitlist for an RD-8 just because...ANALOG 808!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But this TR-8S is great and makes a ton of sense on so many levels. It's truly an awesome drum machine and I'm really happy with it.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oinkbanana View Post
My understanding is that it CANNOT be done...I read the manual and checked out a few online resources. Where I most want it it with patterns that have a swing...I want the subdivisions to be swung as well...at least for the roots reggae stuff I am programming.

I thought of trying to double my BPMs and play patterns in halftime, but that would end up just swinging the 32nds and I'd end up with straight 16ths. Anyhow...sorry to ramble...short answer: NO
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm biding time 'til my daughter gives it up...I showed her around the TR-8S a bit and we programmed a few patterns, messed with filters/effects, and then went over some basic history of the 808 and listened to some Marvin Gaye, Phil Collins, Public Enemy, Arthur Baker, etc. She's working on another bank of 8 patterns and I'm curious to hear what she'll come up with on her own. Of course, I want to work on my own programming, but it's great to see her actually get into it and learn how the gear works!
Old 3 hours ago
Here for the gear
Everybody says they they want song mode but the TR-8S basically does have song mode. I use it all the time. Just load up all of your verses and choruses and everything else as patterns, in order, then select them all and let the entire song play straight through. Like, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge on different pattern slots in the order you want them to play. If that isnt song mode then I'm totally confused about what the term actually means. Sure, it might use up a few extra pattern slots that you wouldn't normally have to use but seriously, who cares? Just backup, buy a new sd card and start all over again. I've recorded every song I've ever made on this machine in that fashion.

Last edited by Mort Chud; 3 hours ago at 09:03 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 2 hours ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort Chud View Post
Everybody says they they want song mode but the TR-8S basically does have song mode. I use it all the time. Just load up all of your verses and choruses and everything else as patterns, in order, then select them all and let the entire song play straight through. Like, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge on different pattern slots in the order you want them to play. If that isnt song mode then I'm totally confused about what the term actually means.
So you are saying you have just a 1 bar pattern for the verse, one bar for the chorus etc?

That's a very simplistic and limited way of song structure. And you always have to use the patterns in the same order. Basically what the TR-8s has with the A-H knobs is an 8 bar pattern. 8 bars is not a song. It can be but then it is super basic.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search