The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Roland TR8S - Drum machine with individual outs and sampling.
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Is there a limit to how many times can you chain variations together? For example, could you do...

A>B>A>C>A>B>D>C>G>E>F>H>A>B etc

...and then can that be saved as part of the pattern?

Just wondering if this is a pseudo way of creating a song structure.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markodarko View Post
Is there a limit to how many times can you chain variations together? For example, could you do...

A>B>A>C>A>B>D>C>G>E>F>H>A>B etc

...and then can that be saved as part of the pattern?

Just wondering if this is a pseudo way of creating a song structure.
Unfortunately it is only possible to use each variation once in a chain
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
Unfortunately it is only possible to use each variation once in a chain
Ah ok. Thanks.

How are you all using the TR-8S within a DAW project then? Are you just recording the pattern changes in the DAW via MIDI? (I presume that’s possible)
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah ok. Thanks.

How are you all using the TR-8S within a DAW project then? Are you just recording the pattern changes in the DAW via MIDI? (I presume that’s possible)
here's a thought ... you could just sync it to the DAW, jam out with pattern changes, fader rides, muting, parameters/fx, whatever by hand and record it. then chop that up, cutting out any flops, etc... or a combination of both/all? why settle for just "linking" static patterns together in some sort of list/song mode? that whole "play one 16-step pattern one after another" thing is pretty boring.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah ok. Thanks.

MIDI Program Changes can switch patterns and/or kits under control of DAW or external sequencer.
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
here's a thought ... you could just sync it to the DAW, jam out with pattern changes, fader rides, muting, parameters/fx, whatever by hand and record it. then chop that up, cutting out any flops, etc... or a combination of both/all? why settle for just "linking" static patterns together in some sort of list/song mode? that whole "play one 16-step pattern one after another" thing is pretty boring.
I was thinking more in terms of creating a song before hitting the DAW. A song mode would be useful for that. But yes, of course, in DAW land it’s the way to go with what you suggest.
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZT Scheer View Post
MIDI Program Changes can switch patterns and/or kits under control of DAW or external sequencer.
Great, thank you. And it can output MIDI pattern data for recording into the DAW too, is that right? So I could just press record on the DAW, mess around with changing patterns and variations and have all that note data recorded for playback so I don’t need to think in terms of “patterns” once it’s in the DAW?

I ask because after selling the Analog Rytm II as it didn’t do this, the TR-8S seems the next logical choice for me as audio over USB is something I’d find really useful now.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ah ok. Thanks.

You can record the notes of the sequencer as midi into your daw and then send the same notss back to the TR-8S (with an empty pattern)
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
You can record the notes of the sequencer as midi into your daw and then send the same notss back to the TR-8S (with an empty pattern)
Perfect! Thank you.

Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great, thank you. And it can output MIDI pattern data for recording into the DAW too, is that right? So I could just press record on the DAW, mess around with changing patterns and variations and have all that note data recorded for playback so I don’t need to think in terms of “patterns” once it’s in the DAW?

I ask because after selling the Analog Rytm II as it didn’t do this, the TR-8S seems the next logical choice for me as audio over USB is something I’d find really useful now.
Exactly
Old 26th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by te-problematique View Post
Anyone got any ideas about why it's rock solid, no MTC compensation needed in Ableton 9, but I can't even get it to sync stably in Logic X? I'm on a brand new i9 MBP, power for days, connecting over USB. I mostly use Logic so was pulling my hair out trying to get everything to work, but it just always seemed to drift no matter what the settings. Then I just fire up ableton and it literally just works.
don't forget to change the sync mode on the hardware itself if you ever change it to jam on say to internal it's easy to forget to change it back to auto for external sync to devices.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted cec0d5b View Post
Great, thank you. And it can output MIDI pattern data for recording into the DAW too, is that right? So I could just press record on the DAW, mess around with changing patterns and variations and have all that note data recorded for playback so I don’t need to think in terms of “patterns” once it’s in the DAW? ....
Exactly. That will work too.
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perfect! Thank you.

i already know the answer, but i have to ask... why even use the TR-8S in this case?
Old 26th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
i already know the answer, but i have to ask... why even use the TR-8S in this case?
What’s the answer?
Old 26th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
i already know the answer ...
Wait ... you have THE answer?!?
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vekter303 View Post
Not that its so much a failing of the TR8S...

...but I'd like a way to aggregate audio through multiple ASIO devices. I can work around this, but it could be a tidy option for freeing up I/O on mixer/soundcard/ADDA...

...and I'd LOVE some of those Aspirin
Ah the comedy genius of Gregor Fisher.
The wife said i was getting a bit thin on top so i showed her this picture and said i want my hair like that to cover the balding bit. She replied with some profanities and the word divorce in amoungst them.
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

He wears it so well too! Haha...

Sadly, I was approaching something similar. Standing at a 'tactical' angle on a windy day was becoming a highly developed skill

Its all gone now, embrace the razor!
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
don't forget to change the sync mode on the hardware itself if you ever change it to jam on say to internal it's easy to forget to change it back to auto for external sync to devices.
Cheers! Will double check the setting and try again. It "just worked" (ish), so thought it was doing something smart with the way it detected the clock source/sync source.
Old 28th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Q. What sample rates can the TR-8S use when using Audio over USB?

I couldn't find this in the TR-8S manual or on the Roland site for the TR-8S, so maybe someone here knows?

Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Q. What sample rates can the TR-8S use when using Audio over USB?

I couldn't find this in the TR-8S manual or on the Roland site for the TR-8S, so maybe someone here knows?

Im not aware of sample formats being different over USB...though I may be missing something here...

From the Reference Manual (more detailed than the Owners Manual)

Audio files that can be imported-

File format:
WAV, AIFF

Sampling frequency:
WAV: up to 96 kHz
AIFF: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz

Bit depth:
8bit, 16bit, 24bit, 32bit, 32bit float

Channel count:
Monaural, stereo

There has been some conflicting experience here with bitrates and depth, maybe linked to the newest firmware...have a look back a couple of pages in this thread if you are having any problems...

Im guessing you may have found your mojo again for making music, good to hear
Old 28th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Im not aware of sample formats being different over USB...though I may be missing something here...
Sorry, I meant when using the TR-8S as an audio interface.

Quote:
Im guessing you may have found your mojo again for making music, good to hear
Slowly, slowly catchy monkey.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sorry, I meant when using the TR-8S as an audio interface.
Ah right, okay...I dont use mine that way, so Im not much help there...

That would be for playback over USB, TR8S as audio interface and the samples loaded onto the TR8S from SD?
Old 28th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
That would be for playback over USB, TR8S as audio interface and the samples loaded onto the TR8S from SD?
Just to get the individual channels into the DAW over USB Audio.
Old 28th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just to get the individual channels into the DAW over USB Audio.
Righto, yeah...I dont really have experience there...

My guess would be that if the samples are already installed you would be good to go. Is it something that you are having a problem with, the channels with the samples showing in the DAW?
Old 28th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Quote:
Righto, yeah...I dont really have experience there...

My guess would be that if the samples are already installed you would be good to go. Is it something that you are having a problem with, the channels with the samples showing in the DAW?
No, no problems. Just wondering what bit and sample rate the TR-8S outputs over USB as an audio interface. I don’t yet own a TR-8S I’m just researching it after selling the Analog Rytm II.
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUEY View Post
I do!!.
Not for the VST panel or control by PC but for the full "audio" integration
I have a Access Virus Ti and a close friend an Elektron AR MK2. What a breeze to inegrate and use. This is the only thing I miss with my TR-8S. At the moment I use it (must use it) as my sound card and set it up as"external Instrument" in Cubase and stream the audio via USB. Not ideal but workable.
Your friend use overbridge with the elektron right? Does it work in a similar way as the Virus TI Total Control? Maybe an off topic question but I am interested in how it works

Cheers
Sidem
Old 30th June 2019
Here for the gear

Is it possible to To get Logic/DAW to “learn” or use the shuffle settings of a pattern from the TR8s? If it’s the master clock running into logic I neeeed that shuf
Old 30th June 2019
Deleted cec0d5b
Does no-one know the specs of the TR-8S’s audio interface then?
Old 30th June 2019
Deleted 48a4a93
probably getting a tr8s, that Behringer thing didn't convince me and the TR8s offers way more.. better bang for the buck
Old 30th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideminder View Post
Your friend use overbridge with the elektron right? Does it work in a similar way as the Virus TI Total Control? Maybe an off topic question but I am interested in how it works

Cheers
Sidem
Yes, it works the same way as the Virus Ti (and even better). It works like a VSTi. You have a VSTi panel and it streams the audio via USB directly into your DAW without notice. You can use it beside your main soundcard. The Virus ti has only 3 stereo outputs in your DAW, the AR MK2 streams every drumsound/channel to itś own output.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search