The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Black Corporation - Polyphonic Kobol
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

Black Corporation - Polyphonic Kobol

Poly Kobol Rack - Slated for Superbooth by Black Corporation.
Will be in kit form too and courtesy of Roman Fillipov (Buchla 208r Easel Clone & Deckard's Dream).
Seems to have slipped under the radar but will be shown at Superbooth in May.
Should be one to make your wallet weep but I digress.

Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

I am very much looking forward to this.
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Addict

So amazing. The original is one of my absolute dream synths. Probably will never even see an original in my lifetime
Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

This is gonna be epic.
Old 21st February 2018
Deleted b5734b5
wow!

Old 21st February 2018
Lives for gear

In before the Dentists
Old 21st February 2018
Gear Maniac
Wonder how many kidneys this will cost?
Old 22nd February 2018
Kidnap & ransom a few dentists more like.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Daaaaaammmmmn!
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
looks very Access Virus C-ish
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Guru

It sure is a looker
Attached Thumbnails
Black Corporation - Polyphonic Kobol-ugly.jpg  
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Deleted... no need to be negative
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Negative? This has two LFOs, No keyboard to worry if it has aftertouch and HP and LP filers in MS-20 config. Pure Gold!
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Negative? This has two LFOs, No keyboard to worry if it has aftertouch and HP and LP filers in MS-20 config. Pure Gold!
agreed it should sound great
Old 22nd February 2018
Gear Addict

I guess vice verca, that’s probably where virus got its look from

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorfinity View Post
looks very Access Virus C-ish
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Negative?
I have a personal issue with Roman. I bought something from him directly a few years back, it came broken, and he took months to respond and pawned off the work to someone else who didn’t even know what was going on. Doesn’t mean this won’t be cool and that’s why I erased my comment.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
I have a personal issue with Roman. I bought something from him directly a few years back, it came broken, and he took months to respond and pawned off the work to someone else who didn’t even know what was going on. Doesn’t mean this won’t be cool and that’s why I erased my comment.

I'll probably judge the risk of sending money based on people's Deckard Dream experiences and those seem pretty good.

But I agree, some designers are impossible to deal with personally and need to let others handle business.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Where is he getting the SSMs from?
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Good God POLY KOBOL! That is so amazing...

Imagine this in a rack with a Deckard's Dream and a Code 8.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

To give a more recent experience than the above: my Deckard's Dream had issues after arrival, it seems it was caused by a static shock. Not sure if this happened here or on the journey, but after I first unpacked it I had to go away for a while so it was sat idle for 10 days or so. Anyhow, when I was finally back and could use it for the first time the manual (PNL) mode worked but the presets had all been wiped to init patches, then the "brain" died the next day.

I had no problems returning this to Black Corp in Japan (it's not just Roman working there), they fixed my unit, identified the problem, added extra grounding and even swapped out all my voice cards for new more power efficient revisions, so the system fan (quite noisy) was no longer needed.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy View Post
I guess only two options: NOS or done discretely?
Old 22nd February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I guess only two options: NOS or done discretely?
presumably these?
http://soundsemiconductor.com/downlo...4datasheet.pdf
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think there was a mix of 2040 and 2044 across the models (and possibly 2050 for envelopes? - memory fades with time)

I promise not to noddy this thread, so this will be the only post about the originals.

I was fortunate enough over time to have owned a Kobol keyboard, Kobol I and II expanders, and a Poly Kobol II.

What I liked across the line: the voltage controlled oscillator waveforms and voltage controlled envelope stages (in the Expander modules) and the beautiful filter.

What I didn't like were the very crowded circuit boards, lack of schematics (incomplete, crappy 4th generation poor copies, or no schematics at all), and the absymal construction of the PolyKobol internals (especially the tin plated Molex style board connectors and upside-down mounted boards).

If The Black Corp can get even 90% of that sound, it'll be a winner.
Old 22nd February 2018
Quote:
i am guessing the recently reissued SSM2044 by Dave Rossum and Co., under code name SSI2144.

its in the wild, since Doepfer has already started making new modules based on this chip , more precisely the new quad filter. it says SSI on the front panel.

however, its almost certain this will use 3340G as oscillator, just like Deckard Dream, so i am expecting it has zero chance of sounding like the original, which sported monumenthal discrete vcos based on the uA726.

i will save the excitement until i hear it.

on a related note, their DD was a dissapointment to me, any old 3340 synth blows it away. because they used clinical lifeless 2164 clones for cascaded filters and vca, so very dry tone. all it has is arhitecture and front panel from CS80. tho for many, that's more than enough to also "hear" it sound like Yamaha CS80. at least in the beginning it will be so.

with that said, if this thing gets 3340 and SSI2144 set, and possibly a better VCA, it just might sound mega great on its own. or even enter Voyetra8 ballpark as it had the 3340>2044 combo.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post

with that said, if this thing gets 3340 and SSI2144 set, and possibly a better VCA, it just might sound mega great on its own. or even enter Voyetra8 ballpark as it had the 3340>2044 combo.
Setting aside the front panel similarities, this combo done right is something i would get behind for sure; no matter what it's called.

Last edited by oldgearguy; 23rd February 2018 at 11:50 AM..
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

At some point the second golden age of analog will be even better than the first.

Once they figure out the polysynth thing...
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
At some point the second golden age of analog will be even better than the first.

Once they figure out the polysynth thing...
Yeah exactly, I'm feeling the same. I think some of these boutique companies are really going to get push the industry to higher standards for vintage character being made in modern times. We could see even more interesting polys in the next couple of decades.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
We could see even more interesting polys in the next couple of decades.
Well????? Decades? Not so sure everyone’s gonna be on the synth bandwagon in ten years. Things tend to come and go... and then decades later come again.

Regardless I hope it keeps growing. I’d love to see some synths come that truly wipe out the desire for the vintage sound quality.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
Well????? Decades? Not so sure everyone’s gonna be on the synth bandwagon in ten years. Things tend to come and go... and then decades later come again.

Regardless I hope it keeps growing. I’d love to see some synths come that truly wipe out the desire for the vintage sound quality.
Yeah, tis true. But I could see it going the way of the synth. I think synths are getting more respect these days as a creative instrument that nothing else is going to give you. But I could be living in my own world with that comment. Things can come and go, while other things like drums and guitars stand the test of time. I feel synths are coming into their own and could be that.
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i am guessing the recently reissued SSM2044 by Dave Rossum and Co., under code name SSI2144.

its in the wild, since Doepfer has already started making new modules based on this chip , more precisely the new quad filter. it says SSI on the front panel.

however, its almost certain this will use 3340G as oscillator, just like Deckard Dream, so i am expecting it has zero chance of sounding like the original, which sported monumenthal discrete vcos based on the uA726.

on a related note, their DD was a dissapointment to me, any old 3340 synth blows it away. because they used clinical lifeless 2164 clones for cascaded filters and vca, so very dry tone. all it has is arhitecture and front panel from CS80. tho for many, that's more than enough to also "hear" it sound like Yamaha CS80. at least in the beginning it will be so.

Pretty sure I saw / read that the voices are based on the Kobol Expander, not the Poly and they intend to use 2040 based filters, not the 2044s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search