The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog Voyager + Behringer model D or Reissue Model D
Old 24th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I find the idea of modifying the Moog Voyager to be a little strange.

I look at the instrument as one of Bob Moog's final masterpieces, and the idea of tampering with (to me) is off-putting. Call me old-school (no pun intended), but I like the idea of keeping my Voyager to the specifications of which the designers intended. They had their reasons for doing what they did.

As for those with the slew mod, I totally get it... At the end of the day it's about having fun and making music. And if you own it, you have the right to do whatever you want to it. However, if you find yourself wanting to modify a Voyager, isn't that a sign that it's not the synth for you? Or perhaps, you're looking for a different animal?

I find the slew modification similar to those who are trying to make their guitar sound like something it's not. Just search threads about people who are desperate to make their Les Paul sounds like a Strat and vice versa.

This whole GearSlutz thing is chasing dragons. If money was no object, I'd have a Model D and a Voyager

Are there any guys out there modifying their Model D to make it sound softer and more Voyager-like!?

I figured I'd have some fun, and throw some comments out there. Please don't take any of this too seriously.
I also have no great desire to get this mod done. I have quite a number of synths lying around, and if I didn't really like the Voyager it wouldn't turn up in just about every tune I make. It does, and I put that down to its incredible versatility, which I am continually rediscovering. I don't really get the brightness thing, TBH. . . I have other synths that are bright. . . maybe just a touch brighter than the V. But I can totally cane its high end with certain routing tricks, and I'd rather take an aggressive 10kHz than a pleasant 15kHz, if that makes any sense.

The insert jack was put there to be used. And occasionally I do (I also do the headphone feedback sometimes). But more often than not I just use it straight up vanilla (albeit with some interesting patches which aren't necessarily the bread and butter variety, to extend the food metaphor).
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0cbbc73 View Post
Put the pppchhh on ignore.

< Moderator message - I'm allowing this comment right now, but it's on the edge. Don't insult each other. Don't attack another poster because of a different opinion. Thanks. >
Show replies
Old 24th February 2018
Deleted 0cbbc73
On the edge? Why? Why can’t i make an insult back? Is the pppch the ubermod? Maybe it is lost in translation.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0cbbc73 View Post
On the edge? Why? Why can’t i make an insult back? Is the pppch the ubermod? Maybe it is lost in translation. ������
Basic Rulez here: no User vs. User. maybe it helps...
Show replies
Old 24th February 2018
I’m no expert on Moogs or analogs for that matter. I only have a few analog devices and digital is much more my thang. I do have to say though, the Voyager sounded twice as good with that slew rate mod than unmodded, in my opinion.
Show replies
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Speaking of the sound...

I’m always hearing a strong white noise element in the upper end on the Boog. It’s possible people are mixing in the noice osc in every demo. But it really stands out to me.

Anyone hearing this on their own unit?
I don't own the Boog, but it may be the YT encoding problem. When I did my synth demo videos, I was surprised, because after uploading to YT there was some white-ish noise added when there were raw unfiltered saws - and especially when they were modulated. Didin't happen on other sounds.
Show replies
Old 25th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
I’m no expert on Moogs or analogs for that matter. I only have a few analog devices and digital is much more my thang. I do have to say though, the Voyager sounded twice as good with that slew rate mod than unmodded, in my opinion.
It does seem like the slew mod gets more of the model d flava. I think
Show replies
Old 25th February 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
It does seem like the slew mod gets more of the model d flava. I think
if you want to improve the sound more, look for the four 0.068uF capacitors near the CA3046 transistor arrays.
Change it to minimum with Styrolfex, look to closest tolerance 1% or better.
suspicious are C 16 20 24 51 52 60 62
http://sneak-thief.com/moog/moog-voyager-pcb-front.jpg

this is the filter mod, please do not bother because of the completely different sound.
HC would still be a 4-level step switch and additional 0.1uF as in the Taurus.

Moog does not offer the mod and of course this is blasphemy.
Show replies
Old 14th April 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
I have a voyager and just got a Boog D... that's 2 synths. What you're talking doing about leaves you with one synth and spending $1000 extra. Seems like an easy choice to me.

When I first powered up the Boog and played a sound, my heart and ears melted in that gooey sound. Love having both for diff. flavors/features.
Tell us more
Show replies
Old 28th September 2020
Gear Nut

It really surprises me that people think the Voyager is inferior to the Model D. I had a Voyager and absolutely adored it. Had to sell it to survive when I was living in Trinidad & Tobago and the Voyager was some 5000 km away. Now I have the Boog and the Bodyssey. I feel like I have all my monosynth needs covered.
Show replies
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Solo View Post
It really surprises me that people think the Voyager is inferior to the Model D. I had a Voyager and absolutely adored it. Had to sell it to survive when I was living in Trinidad & Tobago and the Voyager was some 5000 km away. Now I have the Boog and the Bodyssey. I feel like I have all my monosynth needs covered.
I don’t know if “inferior” is the right way to think of it. I almost bought a Voyager RE a while ago... and man I thought the demos sounded great. I still do. I wouldn’t buy a Boog, or even an original Model D. The way I use synths rely on patch memory, so that’s that, and the extra features would seal the deal. I settled on an ATC-X, so I can get great sounding Moog oscillator and filter clones, as well as clones of the Odyssey, SEM and 303 filters. All in one box. I miss having a 3rd oscillator, but not too much. I also have a Dominion 1, which is great but a very different sound than any Moog or other classic synth.
Show replies
📝 Reply