The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best ARP on a poly synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Best ARP on a poly synth

Hi all, I'm contemplating a poly synth. I had a virus Ti2 and sold it regrettably. The thing about it was the ARP on it. It was fantastic, and out of all the hardware I've had, nothing comes close to it. I'm looking for something similar, but cheaper. I've been looking at the Peak, but I'm wondering what else is there that has a similar badass ARP.

This is sort of what I'm after. I'm hearing similar tid bits with the Digitone, but FM synthesis is beyond me. I've watched some videos, but it's beyond me. Around the 4:00 mark is what I'm talking about.

Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

korg triton
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

The arp on Peak is less editable than the Virus. Although there are rhythm patterns to choose from you can't edit them, and the arp is not a modulation source.

The Waldorf/Blofeld arps are pretty cool, the Deepmind arp is similar to the TI.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

The best "sounding" arp I ever heard was a polysix

You keep it playing on and on and it would put you in a meditative trance
Old 13th February 2018
The arp on the Audiothingies Micromonsta is pretty cool. Very editable
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Akai Miniak (or micron)
One of the best arp and seq implementation imo.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict

the Korg MS2000 had a great arp, 16 buttons and knobs to correspond with each step, had a ton of fun with it when I had one.
Old 13th February 2018
Gear Addict
For me the Deepmind has a very feature rich arpeggiator.

See:

Variable Gate Time.
• Up to six octave range.
• 32 Preset and 32 User programmable rhythmic patterns with up to 32 steps
and rests.
• Variable swing function.
• Arpeggiator Modes :
• UP, DOWN, UP-DOWN ,UP-INV, DOWN-INV, UP-DN-INV, UP-ALT, DOWN-ALT,
RAND, AS-PLAYED, CHORD.
• User Pattern.
• Arp Clock options : 1/2, 3/8, 1/3, 1/4, 3/16, 1/6, 1/8, 3/32, 1/12, 1/16, 1/24,
1/32, 1/48.
• Hold switch latches held notes on.
Old 13th February 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe a Korg Karma, with the "arp on steroids?" Fun and inspiring, but not easy to control (to put it mildly)...
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Waldorf synths have pretty great arpeggiators, which get progressively better from the Waldorf MicroWave II/XT onwards. I don't have any personal experience with it, only with the Q+ and XTk, but the arpeggiator on the Blofeld looks to be the best one yet:

Arpeggiator
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
Akai Miniak (or micron)
One of the best arp and seq implementation imo.
Without a doubt ... It's pretty rare that I remember features from a long-since-sold synth ... But playing the polyphonic arp/sequencer sounded so good, so effortlessly it honestly felt like cheating ...

Does anybody know if there's a software that functions the same way with that polyphonic performance sequencer? Basically allowing the individual phrase steps transposed in real time by the keyboard?

Last edited by Diametro; 14th February 2018 at 10:55 AM..
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SovietSpaceChild View Post
... but the arpeggiator on the Blofeld looks to be the best one yet:

Arpeggiator
All good, but it doesn't sync correctly in a playing situation with changing notes/chords in my experience.
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Addict

Best sounding arp is the Polysix IMO.
Best arp editor full of option ect.. i dont know...
Old 14th February 2018
Gear Head
My vote goes for the Arpeggiator of the Europa firmware mod for the Roland Jupiter 6:

has lots of modes: normal, ordered, ping pong, random, sequenced Arpeggio, Arpeggiated Sequence, Chord, interval

Further more you can create variations with a legato enable option , upper/lower rhythm link (combines arps for 32 steps length), rest note enable

The sequenced mode works similar like the Micro Korg with the button Leds giving visual feedback on the sequence programmed

More infos : http://www.synthcom.com/Europa/suppo...rGuideV1.0.pdf (page 34 onwards)
Old 14th February 2018
Lives for gear

the arp itself is standard fare but the system-8's sideband filters through the arp sounds pretty special. can't explain it since i am not experienced enough, but compared to the normal filters it seems like there is more movement and refraction.. if that makes sense. it randomly spits at you and sounds like a bowed instrument, sounds good to be the basis for a track with little else.

if the S8 had the patterns on the arp that the JDXI has (technically not an arp?) that would be mindblowing

wonder if i can use the JDXI's arp on the S8 with midi cables? anyone know? been meaning to dust it off.
Old 14th February 2018
in digital domain, Virus TI and Waldorf Q are great (havent tried Blofeld's i presume its good). also liked the one on Nord Lead 4 recently. however, would like to mention a dark horse here: the polyphonic arpeggiator on Triton series, as unexciting its sound may be, is really something else. the grooviest sexiest poly arp i had ever used. and they output MIDI data too.

(it would be stupid to drag yet another huge 61key box into my studio just for this function, but the thought has crossed my mind. if only the sound were great as 01w or trinity serie i would have done so already.)

in analog domain, Andromeda has a combination of arpeggiator and pattern sequencer that is a combination of classic designs and poly arpeggiation like on digital synths. just fantastic. rarely mentioned in A6 and completely under radar, but perhaps one of the most spectacular implementations all arround.

for straight up classic mono arpeggiation, Jupiter8 is the best i ever used. like with Polysix of course the quality of sound that lends it self to plinky snappy arpeggiations skews the picture. but on jupiter they simply got the random so right, i can't figure out why none of the digital/software solutions i tried hasn't the same distribution of notes in that manner, or the not 100% timing it has. seemingly stupid simple, yet ive failed to recreate this with any other means. Jup4 is similar, but downer for me was always lack of range control.

i admit i haven't had time to dwelve into Jup6 Europa that i got recently.
Old 14th February 2018
Get a Virus TI... should be cheaper than TI2. You get all the sounds and capabilities back in addition to the arp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search