The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
For anyone interested in Nord Modular G2 but not having space for it... Control Surfaces
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

For anyone interested in Nord Modular G2 but not having space for it...

Old 1 week ago
Yul
Gear Maniac

Nice! How about nailing the sound? Are the algos similar?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Didn't try it, but the paper linked in the article stated a pretty shocking fact: Nord's oscillators are NOT anti-aliased but are running at 96k! So that was interesting. So that's where the character comes from! Aliasing but at a higher sample rate, hehe.
Old 1 week ago
Theoretically, I could load this on a Raspberry Pi and hook that up to a little mini HDMI monitor and have a portable G2 module?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Once all NMG2 modules are converted to their Csound variants, yeah...

The idea is to actually integrate this into the open source Nord Modular editor, but with a Csound core. It is also possible to make a VST out of it, using Cabbage.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I looked up the codes needed to convert Nord Modular G2 patches into Csound code but it is too complicated and I don't want to risk hours of learning to fail at the end.

I used to own a G2X and, since I miss it, I have been looking for alternatives or virtual G2 already. I found that Nord Virtual Modular (another hack of the original modular OS) that runs on windows only ( I use Wine to run it ) and I was very happy to find a way to use some of my mono patches.. The sound is the same but not all the modules are working... and it is only monophonic.

I just read that "Miss Modular article" and I am stocked. Did you try the Nord Virtual Modular already? What did you think about it?

If you didn't try it yet, it's here : Nord Virtual Modular

I am really going to follow the news on that new hack. Clavia should have released a virtual G2 for a while already but I guess they are not focussed on that any longer.

Very happy to see that the G2 is still bringing up such an enthusiasm
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Didn't try it, but the paper linked in the article stated a pretty shocking fact: Nord's oscillators are NOT anti-aliased but are running at 96k! So that was interesting. So that's where the character comes from! Aliasing but at a higher sample rate, hehe.
G2 oscillators are bandlimited.

In fact, I designed a G2 patch that isolates the BLEP residual from a sawtooth oscillator and multiplexes it to create four additional anti-aliased subharmonic oscillators on the cheap.

electro-music.com :: View topic - Anti-aliased quad sawtooth subharmonic generator

The only way to get G2 oscillators to run naively, is to put them into 0Hz mode and apply a constant to the FM input in order to make them oscillate. It seems that phase accumulator rollovers caused by this input do not generate BLEP pulses. This "defect" can however be used as a feature, since trivial waveforms often perform cleaner when driving a fierce nonlinearity.

electro-music.com :: View topic - Trivial oscillators
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Read that paper, please. The graph of a sawtooth waveform obviously shows aliasing.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Read that paper, please. The graph of a sawtooth waveform obviously shows aliasing.
I've read the paper. Just because it's written up in a paper doesn't mean that it's true. It simply isn't. I dare to say that I probably know more about the low-level nature of the G2 system than these people do.

What may be the case is that they controlled the G2 oscillator module from the linear FM input when making their measurements, in which case, as I described above, foldbacks will occur. Traditional BLEP oscillators don't like FM anyway -polyBLEPs are better at this.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Wow, this is impressive. A nuclear physicist of all people helped designed this. First time I've heard that about a synth.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Very exciting! I have a G2 Engine but its great to hear it can live on in software.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

On a somewhat related subject, does everybody know about the Nord Modular (aka G1) editor that runs on OSX?

"This is the official Nord Modular Editor v3.03 adapted for Mac OS X. It is embed in a standalone Wine compiled App. That's why the app size is so big (around 550 MB). It contains all the Wine binaries so the app can run without prior install of Wine. It should work for both Nord Modular G1 and Nord Micro Modular."

Nord Modular —

I'm using it, and it's great!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Quite a statement. These people are engineers, I doubt they'd make a glaring mistake. Also what they're doing is also very much low-level.
I don't care what the credentials of these people are. That statement is simply incorrect, and I have numerous patches to prove that -as well as boatloads of others that exploit the specific low-level idiosyncrasies of the G2 system in order to push it way beyond it's original capabilities:
Electronic Music - Nord Modular G2 Patch Archive
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Alrighty.

Actually I just tried Nord Virtual Modular and ran it at 96k, connected to Reaper via ReaRoute ASIO driver, and into Voxengo SPAN to check... indeed the sawtooth is bandlimited. Time to correct that paper, I guess.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So did the original nord modular ..and is one of the reasons why it still up there with the rest .
Audio runs at 96 khz
Control and logic at 24 Khz

The modular G2 also had dynamic input slots on it's modules .. alternating between 24/96 khz when needed
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Damn i love my Nord Modular (S)
G1+ G2
This is a great project !
But still, the GUI of the Nord G2 (not talking about the engine of course) is what make the G2 very very special imo.
The variations , those led encoders (found on the NL3) with multiple pages so you can access lots of parameters etc.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What’s the situation with running the G2X editors (Nord and opensource) with current OSX and Windows OS?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

G2 editor works fine in W10.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Alrighty.

Actually I just tried Nord Virtual Modular and ran it at 96k, connected to Reaper via ReaRoute ASIO driver, and into Voxengo SPAN to check... indeed the sawtooth is bandlimited. Time to correct that paper, I guess.
And maybe some form of contrition? I think it is best "we" dont run people like that off this forum. Your deleted post lives on in his post quoting you. Everybody makes mistakes its how you deal with them that counts.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
And maybe some form of contrition? I think it is best "we" dont run people like that off this forum. Your deleted post lives on in his post quoting you. Everybody makes mistakes its how you deal with them that counts.
EvilDragon did the unthinkable on GearSlutz, he happily admitted his mistake. What a gentleman and a great source of solid info he is too.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Can you imagine if there was some kind of a eurorack module you could load with a Nord Modular patch, with like 8 ins and 8 outs so you could control your Nord Modular patch with CV/Gate and also in turn control your eurorack rig?

If there was some way to convert a Nord Modular patch to FPGA code or something.

It would HAVE to be bright red with an acid green screen.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Alrighty.

Thanks for confirming that. And as I say, it is possible to force the stock G2 osc modules into producing non-bandlimited discontinuities by using the linFM input -a weird quirk out of many on this system, which is riddled with awkward idiosyncrasies and pesky bugs on a low level, due to the fact that Clavia never finished the development. Some modules even are still in alpha state, the modulated delays being the most notorious members.

EDIT: My assumption is that the people doing this project were probing the G2 oscillators via the linFM input in order to gain knowledge about the numerical dimension of the phase accumulators (I've done the same in order to create additional functionalities for them) and simply left this arrangement running when making their measurements. Out pops a trivial waveform.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Can you imagine if there was some kind of a eurorack module you could load with a Nord Modular patch, with like 8 ins and 8 outs so you could control your Nord Modular patch with CV/Gate and also in turn control your eurorack rig?

If there was some way to convert a Nord Modular patch to FPGA code or something.

It would HAVE to be bright red with an acid green screen.
w

Whilst not a G2, dave rossums assimilator 8 has fun looking cv options
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

evildragon...im on my phone on(bad reception and in a rush to work)...i need G2 hardware or is basically a plug in?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

It's not a plugin just yet. It's just work done underway into understanding G2's algorithms and converting them to matching Csound algorithms (which when everything is done COULD become a plugin).

@Tim Kleinert: Perhaps your in-depth knowledge of the G2 could be helpful to the project these gentlemen have started?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
@Tim Kleinert: Perhaps your in-depth knowledge of the G2 could be helpful to the project these gentlemen have started?
What made the G2 unique was the tight integration of a modular environment with a hardware user interface, which in its case bordered on the level of absolute genius -and I don't use this word casually. To this day I still consider it one of the best UI concepts ever designed, and the G2 one of the best digital synths ever made -which was the chief reason that I stuck with it for so long. (I sold my last G2X in 2015, having owned 4 of them and working with the system since 2004.)

The G2 digital modular engine by itself however isn't anything remarkable other than the easy-to-use look and feel, for which there are other alternatives ITB nowadays. On the contrary, it's 24bit fixed point architecture and stubborn adherence to a base 2 numerical system (those so-called "Clavia Units") in conjunction with a lack of any serious math functions (eg. you have to roll your own Heron or Goldschmidt convergers if you want square roots or divisions, which naturally take time to settle on the results) make it very tedious or downright unusable for any advanced realtime DSP algorithm design -which was the reason why I ultimately jumped ship. The sonics aren't anything special either -clean and neutral, bordering on the lackluster.

So for other than nostalgic reasons I personally don't see any appeal in this project. But if people like and want this -sure, more power to the developers. I'll help out if they need my assistance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthstrategy View Post
w

Whilst not a G2, dave rossums assimilator 8 has fun looking cv options
Oh, it's on my list.
It's going to be lots of fun.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search