The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are you "image-conscious" when choosing synths/gear ? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
Less is more. More synths in your room = more clutter in your brain, more decisions, more time spent on deciding, less time spent on making music. Just get a few VST's and you're good to go. A lot of that modern EDM sound is made out of VST's anyway. I only have two HW synths, the Nord Lead A1 and the Roland SE-02. And I have the money to buy lots of synths if I wanted, but I don't.
Yah, but then the same logic applies to VSTs. That list is much longer. So even more decisions, more clutter in the brain..
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
Yah, but then the same logic applies to VSTs. That list is much longer. So even more decisions, more clutter in the brain..
I agree. That's why I'm only using a few VSTs. I'm demanding when it comes to the sound though. And most HW synths don't sound exciting enough for me.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

new cheap ****e sounds ****e

old cheap ****e sounds good

its weird but that seems the reality for me.

I think some of its the build quality and intention back then compared to now.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
I agree. That's why I'm only using a few VSTs. I'm demanding when it comes to the sound though. And most HW synths don't sound exciting enough for me.
the problem with vst tech apart from the fact it destroys signals and sounds ****e most of the time is that people are using to many , you get no instrument definition in a project , it become slike a soup with 30 flavours .

Look at most classic electronica and its a limited pallette of sounds from gear with a strong ' instrument / soul / character '

Most new hardware now even lacks this , 98% of new synths now sound generic and you would not know one from another , when i listen to software and even clones doing emulation of classic synths i just hear this sheen and sense of ' fake '

People are trying to own to much ****e gear or do it on the cheap and not realising their music will sound the same but i think many studio owners now are more driven by accumulation of ' the next ' and they also do not have good hearing and a pretty low grade reason to even make music , mostly it seems for youtube upload and likes or so they can approximate their favourite acts....who all use the real ****e.......its a funny world, its become really a fake place.

its judgemental i know but what i see and feel now

fake tech , fake music , fake intention and a sense people are being suckered into endless cheap consumption and feeding endless content online for no other reason but because its ' whats done '

wow look at me i am playing a fake moog on youtube and got some messages saying how people cannot hear the difference , bob would be so proud ....

its la la land all of it , check out my mix using 5 new analogues that all sound the same ,that one got me 10 likes on fakebook.Then back to work in the warehouse ? worlds trippy as fk for me now....its like living in a gameshow.

wheres the classic new albums or music ? why do most new works not sound like classic recordings from the 70/80/90'? , substandard quality , uad ? PFFF ...it sounds like plastic ......Why are people listening to lower and lower grade music happily like cheap robots when not posting sh.............te online so they can feel somehow wanted ?

the golden age will be more fake than the last it seems

image concious ? no Quality concious and intention concious and concious of the fact so much older music sounds amazing and so much new music sounds like fake bland over produced plastic frequency soup .

thats me being positive by the way.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsbosney View Post
the problem with vst tech apart from the fact it destroys signals and sounds ****e most of the time is that people are using to many , you get no instrument definition in a project , it become slike a soup with 30 flavours .

Look at most classic electronica and its a limited pallette of sounds from gear with a strong ' instrument / soul / character '

Most new hardware now even lacks this , 98% of new synths now sound generic and you would not know one from another , when i listen to software and even clones doing emulation of classic synths i just hear this sheen and sense of ' fake '

People are trying to own to much ****e gear or do it on the cheap and not realising their music will sound the same but i think many studio owners now are more driven by accumulation of ' the next ' and they also do not have good hearing and a pretty low grade reason to even make music , mostly it seems for youtube upload and likes or so they can approximate their favourite acts....who all use the real ****e.......its a funny world, its become really a fake place.

its judgemental i know but what i see and feel now

fake tech , fake music , fake intention and a sense people are being suckered into endless cheap consumption and feeding endless content online for no other reason but because its ' whats done '

wow look at me i am playing a fake moog on youtube and got some messages saying how people cannot hear the difference , bob would be so proud ....

its la la land all of it , check out my mix using 5 new analogues that all sound the same ,that one got me 10 likes on fakebook.Then back to work in the warehouse ? worlds trippy as fk for me now....its like living in a gameshow.

wheres the classic new albums or music ? why do most new works not sound like classic recordings from the 70/80/90'? , substandard quality , uad ? PFFF ...it sounds like plastic ......Why are people listening to lower and lower grade music happily like cheap robots when not posting sh.............te online so they can feel somehow wanted ?

the golden age will be more fake than the last it seems

image concious ? no Quality concious and intention concious and concious of the fact so much older music sounds amazing and so much new music sounds like fake bland over produced plastic frequency soup .

thats me being positive by the way.
What’s this word gearslutz censored?

Sssshhhhite?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

To be honest... I'm going to say yes, but more for myself.. If it's ugly I won't want to buy/use it. Certain brands also rub me the wrong way due to the cheapness even bright colors affect my workflow in a negative way.

For instance any Warm Audio stuff in orange forget it..

On the other hand I have a bunch of Samson patchbays a brand that is considered budget but for some reason they rock hard..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
A thread below about Behringer inspired me this question.
Do you feel that peer recognition or appreciation (or "respect") is a factor in your gear buying decisions besides the gear own performance/quality/usefulness ?
I think maybe what you're confusing while reading people's posts is that people will say synth Z is better than synth Y, almost as fact. The synth gets it's own status and people know about that synth in one way or the other. I doubt many here ever think about how respected a synth is when we get it. It never should matter. Point is there is a lot of great respected gear used on fantastic records. But if I buy it just because of that, even though I don't like the interface or sound and also think the 'respect' it's getting is blown out of proportion, then I'm not going to be happy keeping it or using it. So it makes no sense.

There is no gold standard. That's a mirage.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Idgaf what people think of me tbf. You'd understand if you could see how I dress lol.

When it comes to music gear I use what works for me cos I like it and/or is useful to me. Yeah I'm on a tiny budget so no Prophet 6s or US Fenders for this guy but that ain't gonna stop me from enjoying making music. If it does you I think you should have a word with yourself tbf. It's not a competition. Least it's not if you don't see it as such.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 View Post
To be honest... I'm going to say yes, but more for myself.. If it's ugly I won't want to buy/use it. Certain brands also rub me the wrong way due to the cheapness even bright colors affect my workflow in a negative way.

For instance any Warm Audio stuff in orange forget it..

On the other hand I have a bunch of Samson patchbays a brand that is considered budget but for some reason they rock hard..
Yeah, I think this is a possibility for people. Certain brands for one reason or another might take away from one's own productivity or creativity just because of how something feels to them. Like if it feels cheap or looks cheap, then it could become unattractive to use and not inspiring or good for your production.

Sometimes I do like for my studio to have a personal aesthetic that inspires me. But like I mentioned, what matters is if I like what it's doing and how it sounds. And if I do, then the appearance will get bonus points by me for being different. And in the end, because maybe it sticks out in color, actually ends up inspiring me because I associate that color to the sound or workflow it's giving me.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

nope, not at all. pretty much all of my favorite sounding gear is ghetto as ****, and just old junk that nobody else wants. however, if i were running an independent studio, i imagine having impressive looking gear would actually be fairly important, so i do understand the concept.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
..A lot of people here consider you dirt if you use software and if you ever suggest it, you’re branded. If they think you have some hardware, they treat you much better.
Really? You sure that's not mostly what you think people think?

Speaking for myself, I don't keep records on other posters like that. But many posters certainly got tired of the endless software claims about software VST emulations sounding exactly like hardware and how it was all snobbery and make-believe to do otherwise. That specifically got really tiring a few years ago when VSTs were still far off the mark.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by didlisquat View Post
I've noticed many more thumbs up in your post since you started building up your gear again ..................... coincidence ?
Gee wizz... Twilight zone ?

Maybe slutz gave thumbs up if he was excited about new gear they too were interested in?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
If you really want to pìss them off, it has to be something analogue, but with no discernible UI, or one that is simply 100 nested menus.
Have you actually ever experienced anyone bashing you here for the gear you use though?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

I'm not image conscious about gear, but I feel better about gear that I find visually beautiful and I def. prefer gear that I feel is good quality and made with care.

If I ran a pro studio I probably would be image conscious to draw in customers.

To young musicians I'd say, forget all the bull**** the image / add world stuffs in our faces all the time, believe me, just use what feels right and add other stuff when you need it. Others will respect that, but most don't care whatsoever what gear you use.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Of course no one will be interested in your gear unless you make some outstanding music.

Then everyone and their mom wants to know the exact patch number of your sh-101 bass.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I am having a hard day. I accidentally saw a video of a big big studio and it caused me so much pain. I’ll never compete with that.

I may come off the internet for a few days. See you soon
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am having a hard day. I accidentally saw a video of a big big studio and it caused me so much pain. I’ll never compete with that.
Don't compete. Get even!
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Gee wizz... Twilight zone ?

Maybe slutz gave thumbs up if he was excited about new gear they too were interested in?
I was in another dimension when I said that...sheesh !
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I may come off the internet for a few days. See you soon

compare and despair
Old 5 days ago
I like aesthetics but cant afford what I like design-wise most of the time. So i use what i have.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

If you unplug yourself from the innerwebs, and work on a project by yourself, you'll have THE biggest, coolest, and nicest studio of anyone involved.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I think I am image-conscious, but even more design-conscious. I would never use one of those bat-shaped "metal" guitars even if it sounded like a good Stratocaster. I'd buy a strat instead. If I had a choice, I'd take a daphne blue or olympic white and not sunburst one, if both sound good. I never considered a synth that looks like Aria, with toxic green LEDs, or a synth that has a separate preset category "Dubstep" like Mininova. That's just stupid. I prefer having only a few instruments, but they have to be timeless. And I don't play live, and people don't come to my home-studio, that's just for me.

It goes beyond gear, I generally do not own a lot of stuff, but I try to only buy things that will stay with me for a very long time. Of course there's stuff that will get old fast anyway, like a MIDI controller or a smartphone, but even then esthetics is important for me. It doesn't have to be expensive or estabilished brand, it just can't look like a product targeted at people with half a brain, and if it is expensive it has to look good. Deepmind looks OK and I'd buy it, but if Minilogue souded as good I'd buy that instead, because it looks like a piece of art, same goes for the latest Analog 4.

I think Arturia has good designers, most of their products, hardware and software, look nice. Ableton is even better, both Live and Push are examples of beautiful design. I'm a fan of Korg knobs

But that's design and liking pretty things. Image is when poeple see you. And I take that into consideration too, I believe everyone does to some extent. If you were a drummer, would you ever play a 50-piece kit, or one of those little vintage kits? Well, I guess it depends on what you need, but then again if someone writes drum parts with 10 tom-toms, they would be ashamed to show up with a one-tom drumkit on stage even if they didn't need more than that.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwobot View Post
I think I am image-conscious, but even more design-conscious. I would never use one of those bat-shaped "metal" guitars even if it sounded like a good Stratocaster. I'd buy a strat instead. If I had a choice, I'd take a daphne blue or olympic white and not sunburst one, if both sound good. I never considered a synth that looks like Aria, with toxic green LEDs, or a synth that has a separate preset category "Dubstep" like Mininova. That's just stupid. I prefer having only a few instruments, but they have to be timeless. And I don't play live, and people don't come to my home-studio, that's just for me.

It goes beyond gear, I generally do not own a lot of stuff, but I try to only buy things that will stay with me for a very long time. Of course there's stuff that will get old fast anyway, like a MIDI controller or a smartphone, but even then esthetics is important for me. It doesn't have to be expensive or estabilished brand, it just can't look like a product targeted at people with half a brain, and if it is expensive it has to look good. Deepmind looks OK and I'd buy it, but if Minilogue souded as good I'd buy that instead, because it looks like a piece of art, same goes for the latest Analog 4.

I think Arturia has good designers, most of their products, hardware and software, look nice. Ableton is even better, both Live and Push are examples of beautiful design. I'm a fan of Korg knobs

But that's design and liking pretty things. Image is when poeple see you. And I take that into consideration too, I believe everyone does to some extent. If you were a drummer, would you ever play a 50-piece kit, or one of those little vintage kits? Well, I guess it depends on what you need, but then again if someone writes drum parts with 10 tom-toms, they would be ashamed to show up with a one-tom drumkit on stage even if they didn't need more than that.
Ha. For instance, you couldn't even pay me to own a tobacco sunburst guitar, not even if it was a magical guitar and empowered the owner with the combined skills of Gilmour, Vaughn, Hendrix, Page, Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Beck, Rhodes, Leadbelly, King, Fripp, and the rest combined, unless I could immediately repaint it without harming the magical powers.

I f--king detest the way they look.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
I'm not image conscious about gear, but I feel better about gear that I find visually beautiful and I def. prefer gear that I feel is good quality and made with care.

If I ran a pro studio I probably would be image conscious to draw in customers.

To young musicians I'd say, forget all the bull**** the image / add world stuffs in our faces all the time, believe me, just use what feels right and add other stuff when you need it. Others will respect that, but most don't care whatsoever what gear you use.
Agreed, use the gear that feels right to you regardless if it’s a few dollars more or less and stop the constant buying/selling if you can. Nothing wrong with quality gear, experience has shown me it lasts longer. The grass is not greener in other peoples studios either. You won’t be any more creative there. My experience an two cents..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am having a hard day. I accidentally saw a video of a big big studio and it caused me so much pain. ..
Do you thrive on/get inspiration from that feeling, though? If so, just remember not to blame other slutz for it.. You didn't didn't respond to whether you had ever been 'bashed' on GZ for the gear, but I take that as a 'No' then.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwobot View Post
I think I am image-conscious, but even more design-conscious.
Absolutely this.

I think it's undeniable that even with the same sound and features, different design, shape, size and ergonomics HAVE an impact on sound, in the sense that they change the way the instrument can be manipulated to produce that sound. This is true for any instrument, but even more so for synthesizers, where sound design is just as important (often more important) than playing technique.

If it was not so, we wouldn't have endless discussions on mini vs.full size keys, knobs vs. menus, modules vs. keyboards etc etc.

The aesthetics of the instruments fall right into this discussion, IMHO. They are not SO important as the sound and interface of course, but they definitely play a role in the enjoyment of the instrument. And I guess everybody will agree that to produce good music, you have to enjoy what you're doing.

So for me, I guess I am "reasonably" image conscious. My priorities are:
1- Sound
2- Ease of use-interface
3- reliability
4- but given these, I WILL look at the aesthetics of the instrument, and will be willing to pay a (small) premium for a sexier instrument, because I know that it will inspire me more often to sit down and play.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnyKine View Post
Ha. For instance, you couldn't even pay me to own a tobacco sunburst guitar, not even if it was a magical guitar and empowered the owner with the combined skills of Gilmour, Vaughn, Hendrix, Page, Malmsteen, Vai, Satriani, Beck, Rhodes, Leadbelly, King, Fripp, and the rest combined, unless I could immediately repaint it without harming the magical powers.

I f--king detest the way they look.
I think guitars fall into a special category here especially if you play live on stage. They are literally something you wear and becomes part of your stage presence. That's a whole lot different than compressing the guitar in some studio with a knock off 1176 as opposed to a vintage unit.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
asked a friend about this the other day - you know when you see someone's
huge basement littered with vintage gear you'd never have the space for
- or means, now, though some of them may have passed through your
hands - and he was 'nah, not really'. what's really painful is looking at
what you have, and thinking about what you have to get rid of, because
you can't justify it - you know, some cranky POS that you've got an
irrational attachment to because of a couple of sounds it does (and that
everyone else thinks is sh*t).
(because they're into hipper gearz )
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search