The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How many power strips do you have in your studio? Audio Interfaces
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Addict

How many power strips do you have in your studio?

Hi! How many power strips do you use in your home studio?

I use 3, they're all used up, which sounds like a lot to me, but it's really modest compared to a lot of others I think. There's so much sh!t I could add where I would need another power strip, like LED lights, a WIFI router, Lava lamps etc. But I don't wanna risk blowing any fuses.
Old 9th February 2018
4 power strips and 2 furmans
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

At least 7 that I can still see/ get to
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Head

7 or 8
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Addict

1 2 if I wanna record
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

probably 8 and 2 furmans ...at least
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

The only power strips I use are Furman rack mounted units. Some people think they are power conditioners but they're really just fancy power strips. I have 6 of them in the various racks. Those plug into UPS back up units.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

2 right now but it looks like one of those PSAs on Christmas about how your going to burn down the house
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbvoxx View Post
The only power strips I use are Furman rack mounted units. Some people think they are power conditioners but they're really just fancy power strips. I have 6 of them in the various racks. Those plug into UPS back up units.
I used to have a bunch of Furmans and then I came across this one from ART.

I really like it. Input voltage, current load, front lights, dimmer, rear gooseneck light, front-mounted outlet.... Cool unit at a similar price to the Furmans - I know that they call it a "power conditioner" but clearly it isn't....

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
How many power strips do you have in your studio?-screen-shot-2018-02-08-9.22.18-pm.png  
Old 9th February 2018
10 that I can see, but I think there is one more...and yeah, it looks like a Clark Griswolds’ basement outlet.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

8 million.

And 21 million wall warts.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

I've got four. Two of which are pretty decent. I actually like the most recent one I bought the best. It's got outlets that are spaced for wall warts and a couple of USB receptacles. The one thing I really wish I had done though is label all of my power supplies.

Last edited by trick fall; 9th February 2018 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: added a thought
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

9 all together (84 outlets total), plus a UPS.
Old 9th February 2018
I have 3 of them and I don’t have a lot of hardware synths/gear. It’s just easier to spread them out.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

mainly a 6 way euro based outlet and 2X-6 and 2X-4 way power strips I'd frankly rather have as Euro as well, save for the switching PSU issue. and something like a 10 way Euro outlet which used to be a rack mount so called power conditioner, until I ripped the guts out because they are often pointless junk inside.

they are very rarely anything to do with conditioning anything. they only really serve as a means to have a lot of outlets. you may as well get the Behringer power strips. they take up far less space and do only what they are good at and don't pretend to do anything else.

some type of Euro outlet with independent switches on the front for each out is probably not a bad idea. if you are going live, those so called power conditioners might be handy because they may give some protection in terms current limiting / surge protecting. in case something bad happens with the mains at the venue.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear
I lost count a long time ago, since I also have all my computer stuff in here. The critical stuff (both on computer and synth side) goes via APC UPS units though for power conditioning.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

3 British 4-gang bars and 2 Australian 4-gang bars ... it sucks when you move your gear across the world ... at least the shrimp-eating upside-down people used the correct voltage!
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticbuster View Post
10 that I can see, but I think there is one more...and yeah, it looks like a Clark Griswolds’ basement outlet.
11??! How is room able to handle that much electricity at once? Why aren't your fuses blowing? You're wielding more power than a lightning strike.
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
9 all together (84 outlets total), plus a UPS.
Holy cow! I can't understand how your house is able to handle that.
Old 9th February 2018
Here for the gear

I have two of those long Harbor Freight strips, one for the mixing area, and one for the synth, computer desk. Both run through a UPS. Everything except desk lights and cheap stuff runs through an uninterruptible power supply.

Studio is modest, and not a lot of high-consumption equipment.

Matt B
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post
I've got four. Two of which are pretty decent. I actually like the most recent one I bought the best. It's got outlets that are spaced for wall warts and a couple of USB receptacles. The one thing I really wish I had done though is label all of my power supplies.
I'm using the Monster HT-800 (I think) It's great!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/monster...?skuId=8233618
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerGunnar View Post
When everything is on it causes a glitch in the Matrix.
Old 9th February 2018
Deleted User
Too many!
F&&^^$$ wallwarts.
No less than 5, just for my Monotribes.
They make a multi for the Volca, but would love a multiPSU for the MTs!
Old 9th February 2018
Quote:
11??! How is room able to handle that much electricity at once? Why aren't your fuses blowing? You're wielding more power than a lightning strike.
What @cramseur said
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
you need to understand how much draw each piece of gear needs, most likely it's not much..but when you add heaters,microwaves,refrigerators etc..things could start to add up..but most studio gear draws very little power..really doesn't matter how many outlets you have, if your safely deploying the boxes
Old 9th February 2018
Gear Nut
Sometimes (about 1 out of 5 times) when i click on the "main" power strip (it has an on/off switch) - i blow the fuse on the circuit (16A, 240V). The stuff connected to that strip is no more than 500w combined - however there is about 10 wallwarts on that strip. Also i can turn on home theater amp, projector, PS4, etc, etc. on the same circuit without ever blowing the fuse.

I think there is a very high spike on those wallwarts the moment they can draw power - and combined you get close to a short circuit. Perhaps somebody with more insight into electronics would be able to shed some light on this? (magnetic frustum related?)
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Okay, first...I stated the total number of outlets. Not all strips are full.
Plus, everything is not powered up at the same time, and the studio is connected to it's own dedicated fuse circuit at the circuit breaker.

I have never had any problem with power, even when all of the synths, effects, and computers have been on, though.(That would be 40 separate devices or so).

I also have some pedals in use that are always plugged in, but not always on.

Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

I have eleven in my small room and I probably could use one or two more really soon. They are all on the cheap side, but I haven't had a surge yet.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
Okay, first...I stated the total number of outlets. Not all strips are full.
Plus, everything is not powered up at the same time, and the studio is connected to it's own dedicated fuse circuit at the circuit breaker.

I have never had any problem with power, even when all of the synths, effects, and computers have been on, though.(That would be 40 separate devices or so).

I also have some pedals in use that are always plugged in, but not always on.

I never noticed how out of sync the second part of that video is before.
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

to blow a fuse on 16A @ 240V just times one by the other to find the watts. it's potentially exceeding 3840 watts of surge. that's around 4 Kilowatts. if you assume there is no technical problem, then this is why a switched power board can be a good plan. you can buy single mains plugs with switches on the plug. then replace the power plug on an extension which feeds say, a 4 or 6 way plug board with one of those. that can help stop a total surge from occurring because you are switching it in (after) the other stuff has already switched in.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search