The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Korg Triton love Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 4th February 2018
Deleted User
Korg Triton love

I love this unit. It's the Triton-Rack (because keyboards, I got 'em), and there's actually a funny story about how I came about this unit.

I purchased this back in 2013, and I wasn't really looking to purchase it at all. I was bidding on my Roland XV-5080, and the seller also had this Triton Rack for $275. So I put that bid on it and ended up winning both, and the guy was nice enough to combine shipping (yay!)

Of course I spent my time with the one I wanted (the XV), and set the rack in a corner, my thinking being I'd have to come up with a EXB cards and memory, so there it sat for a year before I decided to get serious about it. I started looking for the EXB-PCM boards I'd want to at least start with, those being the Orchestral (6&7) and the Vintage Synth (5), and began the process of acquiring them for the price I wanted to pay. Over a period of a couple months I was able to procure these and the RAM I wanted at a price I wanted, then opened it up to install my extras.

Understand the listing had no mention of any installed options, which was reflected in the price. So imagine my surprise when I open it up and there were the EXB-PCM01, 02, and 05 modules. Score!

And last month, I finally was able to get the final piece to completely fill out my Triton.

I really like this. It's an amazingly deep and capable synthesizer, and every time I go into it, there's always some new and cool thing to discover.
Attached Thumbnails
Korg Triton love-triton-disp.jpg   Korg Triton love-triton-board.jpg  
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

I wish Korg to make again synth romplers/workstations - modules, but this time in a desktop format. It is so convenient to have such capable synths in a small format and to save some valuable space.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

I never got on with the overall sound of it and sold mine. I really enjoy the sparkly Trinity and the sweet M3 sounds, however. I'm not sure why, but the Triton sounds like it's emanating from a black hole of despair to me.

But, yeah, for features and expandability, it's the ****.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I never got on with the overall sound of it and sold mine. I really enjoy the sparkly Trinity and the sweet M3 sounds, however. I'm not sure why, but the Triton sounds like it's emanating from a black hole of despair to me.

Despair you say? (Adds to list)
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post

In 2003, I was in the market in order to get my first synth, so I asked a friend of mine which is a pro musician and synth guru…what synth I should get. So, initially my question was about the Roland Fandom S, which looked pretty cool to me, but my friend he was ‘’nah don’t get this, it is weak, Korg is the way to go!’’. So, I ended up with a Korg triton LE. I didn’t regret it, but its acoustic instruments are weak and a little bit plastic, especially its piano sound. But, the electronic sounds on Triton LE are very good, and the built in effects are amazing. I still have my old Triton, but I don’t use it anymore…
Old 4th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
... its acoustic instruments are weak and a little bit plastic, especially its piano sound. But, the electronic sounds on Triton LE are very good, and the built in effects are amazing.
Yeah, the pianos aren't that great by themselves, but for house they're almost a staple. The EXB-PCM08 is supposed to be all that and a bag of chips for piano sounds, but Kurzweil fills that bill nicely for my needs.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post

Knowing the quality of your work, the Triton could just make barfing sounds and you would regurgitate a masterpiece!

<weirdness>
To be a little more succinct in my analysis, the sounds sit in a very weird space, as if surrounded by the blackness of my soul. When I put on my headphones and played, I felt like I was falling into it inexorably. Not a place I wanted to go musically anymore.
</weirdness>

The M3/M50 is utterly gorgeous to me, encroaching upon Kurzweil territory. I'm still coming to terms with my Roland. Individual sounds are *yawn*, but adding the arpeggiator and stacking tracks, it's starting to shine. But I really like the sequencer on it, so it's going to be my core with the other two adding the true beauty.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Nut

I've got a Triton Rack,I don't use the internal sounds so much any more as I have a Kronos,but I still keep it in my rack and use it on an Auxillary send from my mixer and use it as an FX processor,its great for chaining loads of different FX together for total weirdness.

Triton Racks go for peanuts these Days it's a decent module to have for bread and butter sounds and even better if you can still get the EXBs for it,Its a very capable expander Module to any setup and worth picking up when they go so cheap.
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Back in the day when I bought it new, I paid more money for my Triton Rack then I care to mention here. It's now one of the most depreciated pieces of gear I own (lesson learned---don't overpay for digital stuff and try to find a good deal on a used one if possible). With that said, almost 15 years later, I still have it in my rack and still use it from time to time and enjoy it. It's a great sounding synth with excellent effects. I still have yet to fully expand it. Right now, I have the EXB-04 Extreme Dance board (which is the only expansion board I installed so far) in it which have some really nice drums as well as other sounds on it. I'd like to have the MOSS board but even to this day, it's still too expensive (probably won't ever get any cheaper either now that it's long out of production).

The only thing I don't like about the Triton is unlike Roland JV/SRX synths and expansion boards (in which the new preset banks become instantly available upon installation of the boards), the Triton requires you to install/load the expansion board presets from floppy disk and if you are not careful, you could accidently overwrite the factory presets (Banks A-D). Then again, this could also be an advantage too, by not bothering to load them at all and simply creating your own presets from "init program" and coming up with original patches utilizing the new wave rom samples from the expansion board. So, I guess it really depends on how you look at it (and how much time you are willing to spend sound designing and programming patches). It's a powerhouse of a synthesizer though, even without expansions.

Last edited by kvmoore; 5th February 2018 at 12:08 AM..
Old 5th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvmoore View Post
The only thing I don't like about the Triton is unlike Roland JV/SRX synths and expansion boards (in which the new preset banks become instantly available upon installation of the boards), the Triton requires you to install/load the expansion board presets from floppy disk and if you are not careful, you could accidently overwrite the factory presets (Banks A-D). Then again, this could also be an advantage too
I could go either way on this. I have a ton of Kurzweil gear I love (2000RS, 2-2500RSs, 2-2600RSs, K2500XS), and they too require a load from floppy, where Roland had the good sense God gave a rubber duck and just put the ROM presets in the ROM itself. That seems to be the most sensible way to go because we're talking what - 16K of a 32M ROM set that are just pointers, and can be reassigned to static RAM and overwritten. Although Roland had their hiccups too -- accessing the SR-JV80 ROM expansion patch data on the JD990 was painful...
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dluther View Post

Understand the listing had no mention of any installed options, which was reflected in the price. So imagine my surprise when I open it up and there were the EXB-PCM01, 02, and 05 modules. Score!
Dude, you got the deal of the century. Did you totally miss that you ALSO got the moss board that goes for 300-400 also installed too? Saw it on the motherboard picture, then confirmed it on your boot screen.

Just my opinion, Id ditch the exb03 loop board and replace it with the exb08 board youre missing. Its an awesome, synth. Enjoy it!

Devon
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

I STILL love my Triton Studio.....Until you've had the full 160MB rom set(all exbs) that are in the
Triton Studio V2/Extreme/Rack I don't think you really know what the Triton evolved to sound like. I think a lot of folks have judgement on the synth based on the original 32mb of rom of the classic..

...but a loaded Studio/Extreme with the the Moss board, with it's full akai S3000/1000 disk loading/translating is a very good workstation/sequencer/sampler with some good sounds in there(especially the Studio with it's internal HD and cd burner).

As a controller for internal/external modules/sounds, a lot of folks overlook the dual arps. They are fully featured(read the Studio manual on them)...I LOVE using those arps for external modules/synths.....Karma is awesome, but I'd still miss those Triton arps...I wish all of the modern anapolys had arps that fully featured....tons of space for your own patterns plus everything you'd expect and more.

I use my Triton Studio sequencer to this day, easy to use and fun....also has a couple of audio tracks streaming from the HD that takes the burden off some of my synths so they can do other things, it can record/transmit sysex from it's sequencer that you can edit

For controlling a synth rig, Triton Studio is awesome too. Great synth action from the yammy keybed, easy to use interface....the internal HD and CD rom....to send to sounds to external synths....love the yammy keybed/synth action and controllers

Writing the PCG banks can be done without overwriting things, just have to know what you're doing!

I bought mine new in 2003, has never crashed once or had any problems..... these days they are a bargain.

Quote:

I really like this. It's an amazingly deep and capable synthesizer, and every time I go into it, there's always some new and cool thing to discover.
Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Knowing what kind of programming you're capable of, you'd go nuts for that MOSS board.
Old 5th February 2018
Deleted User
Hey Devon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
Dude, you got the deal of the century. Did you totally miss that you ALSO got the moss board that goes for 300-400 also installed too? Saw it on the motherboard picture, then confirmed it on your boot screen.
Wouldn't that be great if it were true!?!

No, it only had the three EXB-PCM boards (I now have an extra EXB-PCM05 board laying around)... I spent the last four years acquiring all the other boards including the MOSS board separately. I paid $250 for the MOSS board as a "buy it now" (which I did instantly), and I most recently picked up the EXB-PCM04 board for $40. Sorry for not making that plain in my OP...

Quote:
Just my opinion, Id ditch the exb03 loop board and replace it with the exb08 board youre missing. Its an awesome, synth. Enjoy it!
Yeah, that board doesn't exactly ringing my bell either. My only consolation is that it was cheap.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear
I dunno man. When that rompler came out I sampled every cool sound out of it.
Old 5th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
I dunno man. When that rompler came out I sampled every cool sound out of it.
Oh I seriously doubt that. See post from @John01W above...
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Devon!

Wouldn't that be great if it were true!?!

No, it only had the three EXB-PCM boards (I now have an extra EXB-PCM05 board laying around)... I spent the last four years acquiring all the other boards including the MOSS board separately. I paid $250 for the MOSS board as a "buy it now" (which I did instantly), and I most recently picked up the EXB-PCM04 board for $40. Sorry for not making that plain in my OP...

Yeah, that board doesn't exactly ringing my bell either. My only consolation is that it was cheap.
Aha! Now that I re-read your post, I can read between the lines a bit better and understand. Sell the 03 and your extra 05 board, and you'll have enough for the 08, and you'll be done! My Triton is very similar to yours, except I don't have 01, 03 or 08, but I have the MOSS and 02/04/05/06/07/09 cards. Outside of trying to manage all the presets between all the boards which is a mess, I love the unit.

The 05 Vintage card isn't bad. I like the EMu Vintage Collection the best followed by the JV80-04 Vintage card (esp in the JD-990 with the extra presets) then the EXB-PCM05 card as far as the vintage add-on cards go. Least it still goes for an easy $100.

You ever consider, or do you already have the Karma software? It's a bit convoluted getting it all working, but it's pretty cool nonetheless!

Devon
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh I seriously doubt that. See post from @John01W above...
Rompers a have a set of samples. And then I sampled the samples.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Yanni approves!

Old 5th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Sell the 03 and your extra 05 board, and you'll have enough for the 08, and you'll be done!
Devon, that is such a bizarre coincidence; in my reply I almost left in the sentence that I would gladly trade the 03 and extra 05 for an 08...

Quote:
You ever consider, or do you already have the Karma software? It's a bit convoluted getting it all working, but it's pretty cool nonetheless!
I am considering it, but haven't really "gotten there" with Karma just yet. Since I've only gotten to scratch the surface of the synth engine, $200 is a bit more than I want to peel off just right now. For that kind of money there is one thing I *might* consider, and that's the "EXB-SSD" some guy is selling directly and on eBay:

EXB-SSD All-in-one Solid State Disk for KORG TRITON Replaces the OEM EXB-SCSI

However, that card looks to encroach on the space used by the EXB-DI, and I'm not quite ready to give up my ADAT interface just yet...
Old 5th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisewagon View Post
Rompers a have a set of samples. And then I sampled the samples.
To what end?
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Pimped out!
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am considering it, but haven't really "gotten there" with Karma just yet. .
I've seen Karma keyboards going for really cheap ($300-400-ish) lately, so maybe cheaper elsewhere. Picking up one of them as a karma controller for your rack is something to consider.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

I pulled out my Triton Extreme for old times sake and now can see it is dated. The plasticky filter for the sampler engine and MOSS is gobsmakingly terrible these days. The slow touch screen is maddening and the slow processing for simple tasks like truncate is risible (yes I have a thesaurus). Dearly loved but won't be finding a use for it again.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

MOSS is totally far from terrible, you obviously don't know what to do with it.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

I went through a Triton Pro then a Rack and then a Karma. I used them as an alternative set of ROMpler tones to contrast with the JV/XV Roland equivalents. But I never really gelled with the Korg voicing, and ended up with the EMU 2000 series, which are a bigger contrast with the Roland tones and inspire me a lot more.

The Karma automation/phrasing/arp thing, though, was great. It let me get somewhere with those tones which need better keyboard skills than I had. Great for quickly dialling up a groove. It always felt a bit like 'cheating' though. As if the music I was making wasn't really my own.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
I went through a Triton Pro then a Rack and then a Karma. I used them as an alternative set of ROMpler tones to contrast with the JV/XV Roland equivalents. But I never really gelled with the Korg voicing, and ended up with the EMU 2000 series, which are a bigger contrast with the Roland tones and inspire me a lot more.

The Karma automation/phrasing/arp thing, though, was great. It let me get somewhere with those tones which need better keyboard skills than I had. Great for quickly dialling up a groove. It always felt a bit like 'cheating' though. As if the music I was making wasn't really my own.
I had quite the opposite experience, bought a Fantom XR, loaded it with a few boards....never really could gel with it.....the loaded TS stayed, XR hit the bay...tried really hard to love it but just didn't do anything for me, it's sampler was **** compared to the TS as well.

I feel ya though, as with all these things each hear things differently....it's all good!
Old 9th February 2018
Deleted User
Now I'm going to have to look into that Karma software...
Old 9th February 2018
Lives for gear

I first encountered Karma on the Kronos, and misunderstood it. I thought that it's just an arpeggiator. So that's how I tried to use it. But with the MIDI CC controls - sliders and knobs to dial the extra notes/CCs in and out - you can get shifting grooves with more or less complexity.

A real musician would have thought "hey, that works" and put it in a track. I felt sort of dirty when I tried that.
Old 9th February 2018
Deleted b598644
how easy is the editing on a Triton rack?
is it as easy as editing a JV2080?
Old 10th February 2018
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
how easy is the editing on a Triton rack?
is it as easy as editing a JV2080?
There are a lot more parameters, but less layers. The edit screens are laid out so each of the different parameter groups are under each of the 8 buttons below the screens, and the inclusion of the numeric keypad is a lifesaver when you know right about where you want a value in a large range.

I have a JD990, so that's what I have to compare it to -- and it's not so much "easier or harder" as it is different.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search