The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me choose my next analog vst
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Help me choose my next analog vst

Hello Gearslutz friends,
I’m a drummer with a humble home studio, (apogee quartet, fast iMac, decent drum mics) and discovering the world of analog synth emulators.
I would like to eventually record original material on drums and two midi keyboard players on analog vsts.
I love the sounds of Return to Forever, Joe Zawinul, Hancock’s Sextant, and Synths of Rush from Moving pictures and their earlier albums.
I’ve bought one vst, Gforce oddity 2 and I love it. Logic’s alchemy and retro synth was nice but didn’t sound very analog to me.
My question to you more experienced ones is what should my next synth be after oddity?? I’m overwhelmed with options.
I liked the sound of op-x pro ii. But now I’m reading about Legend and Repro 5... What is your recommendation?
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Everyone seems to like Monark, Legend, and Repro, but I think if you can spend a few more bucks,
you might want to spring for one of the many analog modules or keyboards available now.
A lot of them are monophonic though.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

u-he zebra
u-he diva
u-he repro
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

OB-Xd is awesome, and it's 100% FREE. No strings attached.

--> LINK

Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=WozNYC;13095432]OB-Xd is awesome, and it's 100% FREE. No strings attached.

--> LINK

Thanks!! But how does this sound compared to ob- x pro ii?
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
Everyone seems to like Monark, Legend, and Repro, but I think if you can spend a few more bucks,
you might want to spring for one of the many analog modules or keyboards available now.
A lot of them are monophonic though.
I know... the hardware may make keyboard players happier but I have to stick to a budget
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emremusic View Post

Thanks!! But how does this sound compared to ob- x pro ii?
I own OP-X PRO II. They're both great with OB-Xd sounding a bit more raw.
It's free. It comes with a TON of great presets as well.

Why not just download it and decide for yourself?
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
I own OP-X PRO II. They're both great with OB-Xd sounding a bit more raw.
It's free. It comes with a TON of great presets as well.

Why not just download it and decide for yourself?
I will try this, I automatically assume that if it’s free, it’s no good.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's lots of good, free software available - strict budget or not.
Give that OB-Xd a try before you judge it.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
While this is the case for a lot of SynthEdit plugins that were quickly thrown together, it's definitely not the rule. The biggest gap is in big, well-produced (orchestral) sample libraries.

u-he TyrellN6 was not mentioned yet, and it's really excellent if you don't want to spend anything, but you can't go wrong with the U-He suggestions in the first reply either. Compare & contrast for yourself
Old 25th January 2018
Deleted User
arturia has nice collection and it sounds good . you get other nice staff not just v analog.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I automatically assume that if it’s free, it’s no good.
In this case you'd be very wrong!

OB-Xd is one of a handful of my "go to" plugins, free or not.
It's wonderful, and has some clever tricks up its sleeve.
Absolutely recommended.
Old 25th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
While this is the case for a lot of SynthEdit plugins that were quickly thrown together, it's definitely not the rule. The biggest gap is in big, well-produced (orchestral) sample libraries.

u-he TyrellN6 was not mentioned yet, and it's really excellent if you don't want to spend anything, but you can't go wrong with the U-He suggestions in the first reply either. Compare & contrast for yourself
I would like to keep the soft synths I own to a minimum, (about 3) and get to know them real well and commit myself to those synths. I want to spend more of my time writing music for those synths, rather than trying out new gear forever. (Especially since there are so many soft synths to try) So I would like to be careful and listen a lot before I make any purchases.

After reading the forums for about 6 months, and listening to comparison videos, I’ve began getting a little skeptical with U-He stuff. It seems like whenever this topic comes up, several members immediately start just shouting Diva, Diva, Diva, almost as if they are hired by Uhe.
I saw a video recently, one of the best comparison videos, where they compare Legend and Diva directly with a Moog, and Legend is audibly better than Diva.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

After reading the forums for about 6 months, and listening to comparison videos, I’ve began getting a little skeptical with U-He stuff. It seems like whenever this topic comes up, several members immediately start just shouting Diva, Diva, Diva, almost as if they are hired by Uhe.
I saw a video recently, one of the best comparison videos, where they compare Legend and Diva directly with a Moog, and Legend is audibly better than Diva.
TBF you will always get lovers and defenders and sometimes it seems more apparent in SW than HW BUT the UHE stuff is stunning, the diva vs monark vs legend vs arturia and another i believe by divvkid is what you speak of? Diva is a do lots rather than a specific emu of moog and while it can attempt the part there is no way it was going to win that particular fight. Those shootouts always P me off anyway-bang it in a track and go from there just like SWAN808 does

i dont own diva or any uhe stuff fwiw b4 you shoot me

OP = what type of analogue modelling synth are you after? mono or poly? there are free synths everywhere that actually stand up to be counted now

TAL software synths that are free emulating juno and sound great, a software synth called SQ8L that models the Ensoniq SQ80 and that i find is great - PG8X copies a JX8P Roland and that is pretty fine too, just google top ten and you'll surprise yourself if you're on a budget.

i would suggest reaktor for a small fee - included with it is a version of Monark and countless versions of other classics and be happy forever

@ Woz nyk thx for the OBXD link i'd never even seen this, just downloaded and trying now
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I said it because U-HE is great. Like someone mentioned, they do a lot of things really well with lots of great add-ons from people like the Unfinished.

I've been doing this a long time and I don't have time to Dick around with 2nd best for composition and arrangement.

If you are looking for a straight up emulation of a classic synth, pick the one you like the best.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
I would like to keep the soft synths I own to a minimum, (about 3) and get to know them real well and commit myself to those synths. I want to spend more of my time writing music for those synths, rather than trying out new gear forever. (Especially since there are so many soft synths to try) So I would like to be careful and listen a lot before I make any purchases.
Good point; so you're indeed looking for best-in-class.

Quote:
It is really good stuff, though.

Quote:
Well, Diva is modeled after a particular Minimoog. I have an original old oscillator board 1973 Mini as well and compared it to Diva, and while I don't have Legend, I also have Monark; in certain cases, Monark is better for a particular character. What sets Diva apart mostly is its versatility, but that versatility doesn't compromise on the emulation; when I put up my tests people didn't have an easy time telling the two apart.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

arturia collection
u-he (diva and repro)
korg collection
synapse legend
opx pro II
native instruments monark (i use the oscillators in reaktor and they are nice sounding)
roland cloud

are the ones I use mainly. That is a lot of different classic synths!
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Diva because you get more than one flavour in a single plugin.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Oddity 2 is one of the best, IMO. I’m going to maybe suggest not going with another pure analog emulation right away. Why not expand your possibilities with a hybrid emulation like impOSCar 2 or PPG 3? Even Icarus has great filters including a vintage Curtis. Zebra HZ has all the Diva filters and much more under the hood.
Old 25th January 2018
The U-he repro sounds like hardware, it sounds analogue, its $99. Im scared of plugs like this as it makes me mentally devalue my hardware
Old 25th January 2018
I have the arturia stuff...and its really not worth your bother if you plan to keep your purchases to a minimum. But buying something like the arturia 49 essential gives you keylab which has a bazillion very usable presets with enough tweaking possibilities to keep them interesting. It also maps everything automatically to the keyboard.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

easy, fun, and one of the best sounding FREE analogs (IE no money, just try it and see if it appeals)

Martin Luders' VST site

I went Arturia collection and am pleased.
But, yes, DIVA is amazing. Try the demo.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I would like to keep the soft synths I own to a minimum, (about 3)
If I could only have 3 synth plugins (which I think is a bit stingy) I'd probably go with:

Omnisphere
DIVA
OP-X PRO-II

Logic being that all 3 sound great, are very versatile, and I think I could cover just about anything between the three.

That being said, there's value in highly specific plugins as well. I love Monark and think it does a damn fine job emulating a MiniMoog.

I just find 3 way too limiting! I like having choices. Not a million, mind you, because there's also the risk of option paralysis, but I need a varied palette. I don't use FM synthesis *that much* but when I need it, I like knowing that I have a couple of choices.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
The U-he repro sounds like hardware, it sounds analogue, its $99. Im scared of plugs like this as it makes me mentally devalue my hardware
My Prophet 6 is a sub oscillator away from The marketplace. Aside from that, it’s scarily similar to RePro, though the 6 does have wider parameter ranges. Urs nailed it.
Old 26th January 2018
Here for the gear

Wow, the free OBXD is amazing, is there a catch? Like advertising malware or something? It sounds really good, beautiful brass and string sounds.
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow, the free OBXD is amazing, is there a catch? Like advertising malware or something? It sounds really good, beautiful brass and string sounds.
No catch. Definitely no advertising malware.

It started out as kind of "open source" and they gave the rights to continue
developing it to discoDSP. It really is a great synth. Freaking FANTASTIC being 100% free.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

What Repro 1/5 as well as Diva gets is the warmth of analog that is lacking in a lot of VSTs. Sometimes hearing what a VST is capable of by a skilled programmer makes a great difference. Not much in good video on Repro 5 yet. I have been able to reproduce analog sounds in Repro 5 that I could not with other VSTs. I owned a Prophet 5 Rev2 back in the mid 80s through early 90s and Repro5 comes as close as it gets.

Here are a few Videos:

Last edited by jaxman12; 28th January 2018 at 04:16 AM..
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

honestly i think the Korg Odyssey VST blows the GForce emulation away, by a long shot. The filters on it are incredible sounding. Xils stuff is decent, U-He, and the Roland Vsts are very, VERY good.
Old 28th January 2018
Diva, Repro, Monark and Legend are all great - best thing to do is demo them and pick whichever you prefer...I don't bother with any of the others...the Roland ones sound good but their GUI is a pain...
Old 29th January 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
honestly i think the Korg Odyssey VST blows the GForce emulation away, by a long shot. The filters on it are incredible sounding. Xils stuff is decent, U-He, and the Roland Vsts are very, VERY good.
I was afraid of this, I just bought the Oddity couple of weeks ago
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search