The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Help me choose my next analog vst
Old 29th January 2018
  #31
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
Diva, Repro, Monark and Legend are all great - best thing to do is demo them and pick whichever you prefer...I don't bother with any of the others...the Roland ones sound good but their GUI is a pain...
How about the ob-x pro ii?
Old 29th January 2018
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emremusic View Post
How about the ob-x pro ii?
its a nice plugin but if you compare directly with an analogue synth (not on a ancient youtube video) it has several areas it is a long way off a real analogue...the sound is either muffled (standard filter) or fizzy (bright filter) for example...I don't like to knock it because I respect the love thats been put into it esp with the patch programming, but it's not one of the truly accurate emulations in my opinion.
Old 29th January 2018
  #33
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
honestly i think the Korg Odyssey VST blows the GForce emulation away, by a long shot. The filters on it are incredible sounding. Xils stuff is decent, U-He, and the Roland Vsts are very, VERY good.
Really? I put Oddity up against the ARP clone filter by Studio Electronics and it was shockingly close. I love that VST.
Old 29th January 2018
  #34
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
its a nice plugin but if you compare directly with an analogue synth (not on a ancient youtube video) it has several areas it is a long way off a real analogue...the sound is either muffled (standard filter) or fizzy (bright filter) for example...I don't like to knock it because I respect the love thats been put into it esp with the patch programming, but it's not one of the truly accurate emulations in my opinion.
I’ll take your word on it’s accuracy, but I can’t help but think “Oberheim” whenever I use it. Accurate or not, I think it’s a really good sounding synth.

If you don’t care that much about accuracy, you’ll open yourself up for a lot of good software instruments.
Old 29th January 2018
  #35
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emremusic View Post
I would like to keep the soft synths I own to a minimum, (about 3) and get to know them real well and commit myself to those synths. I want to spend more of my time writing music for those synths, rather than trying out new gear forever. (Especially since there are so many soft synths to try) So I would like to be careful and listen a lot before I make any purchases.

After reading the forums for about 6 months, and listening to comparison videos, I’ve began getting a little skeptical with U-He stuff. It seems like whenever this topic comes up, several members immediately start just shouting Diva, Diva, Diva, almost as if they are hired by Uhe.
I saw a video recently, one of the best comparison videos, where they compare Legend and Diva directly with a Moog, and Legend is audibly better than Diva.
That’s true. Diva isn’t accurate, but that’s by design. Urs has said that he’s made changes when he liked his results better. He’s also mentioned that he’s capped things in some cases, like audio rate modulation, to allow for a large voice count at moderate CPU loads. Legend is audibly better and also uses more CPU.
Old 29th January 2018
  #36
OBXd, TAL U NO LX, SQ-8L, Diva, Repro (I haven't played it yet but the demos sound lush)
Old 29th January 2018
  #37
Gear Maniac
One of my all time favorite poly : Xils labs Polykb 3! Very versatile and sound is fantastic! It has many unique features I wish other synths had.
Old 29th January 2018
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I’ll take your word on it’s accuracy, but I can’t help but think “Oberheim” whenever I use it. Accurate or not, I think it’s a really good sounding synth.

If you don’t care that much about accuracy, you’ll open yourself up for a lot of good software instruments.
I just pointed out a way it doesn't sound accurate as an emulation, I wasn't suggesting that my likes and dislikes are based on purely on technicalities...

My opinion based on sound is that the OP-X is a mediocre plugin with some Oberheim -like characteristics but an inherently plasticy sound, clicky envelopes and poor muted high end. Diva is much better in all aspects. I compared both directly to an OB8 and the OP-X fell way short, and Diva, well - I made 'Classic OB' and in the end I sold my OB8.

I guess what you are saying about me 'opening myself up to good software instruments' really means you want me to like the plugins you like...
Old 29th January 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 

If you want a taste of 'analog and beyond', you could take a look at Xils-Lab synthesizers, because they all offer, beyond state of the art emulations, some unique/innovative and musical functions/features that set them apart from the basic 1/1 emulations, and make them belong to the XXIst century.

They also modelled some rare synthesizers (VCS3 with pin matrix, , EMS series and sequencers, RSF PolyKobol -the one that had morphing analog oscillators 40 years before-, Elka Synthex, PolyMoog with TOD engine, Roland and EMS vocoders etc. Also some pure creations, with pristine analog sound, but also otherworldly features ( Oxium and it's masks sequencers, or StiX, a super powerfull analog/fm/cross synthesis drum machine). Unique instruments for unique people.

Also some Roland recent instruments. Good sounding and available thru a cloud system (a bit cpu intensive). The latest KorG Odyssey recreation. And the latest Arturia, like SEM V or MatriX V. And NI Monark, Synapse *The Legend* and some U-he synthesizers, already mentioned a lot so I won't elaborate on this. And some older ones, still unique, like Imp'Oscar or Lush 101 ( great for layering, like Xils Syn'X 2 or miniSyn'X -The Synthex recreations-)
Old 29th January 2018
  #40
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I just pointed out a way it doesn't sound accurate as an emulation, I wasn't suggesting that my likes and dislikes are based on purely on technicalities...

My opinion based on sound is that the OP-X is a mediocre plugin with some Oberheim -like characteristics but an inherently plasticy sound, clicky envelopes and poor muted high end. Diva is much better in all aspects. I compared both directly to an OB8 and the OP-X fell way short, and Diva, well - I made 'Classic OB' and in the end I sold my OB8.

I guess what you are saying about me 'opening myself up to good software instruments' really means you want me to like the plugins you like...
I don't want you to do anything.

I request the following document be submitted to the court.

Old 29th January 2018
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I don't want you to do anything.

I request the following document be submitted to the court.

haha ok maybe you mean 'you' as in 'one' then...

Honestly those youtube videos I think have 128kbs mp3 audio...

I hate to link it because its awful playing and I did it for my own listening but here is a better quality comparison between a real analogue synth and OP-X

OP-X ... probably the most underrated softsynth ever.

listen to it on some good monitors and you will hear what I mean...the OB8 is first and sounds like an analogue synth...the OP-X just sounds dodgy to my ears all over the place, muffled one minute, clicky and zingy the next...
Old 29th January 2018
  #42
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotuZia View Post
And some older ones, still unique, like Imp'Oscar
impOSCar was updated a while ago to v2 and while not a pure analog emulation (8 bit digital oscillators), it sounds incredible to me.
Old 29th January 2018
  #43
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
haha ok maybe you mean 'you' as in 'one' then...

Honestly those youtube videos I think have 128kbs mp3 audio...

I hate to link it because its awful playing and I did it for my own listening but here is a better quality comparison between a real analogue synth and OP-X

OP-X ... probably the most underrated softsynth ever.

listen to it on some good monitors and you will hear what I mean...the OB8 is first and sounds like an analogue synth...the OP-X just sounds dodgy to my ears all over the place, muffled one minute, clicky and zingy the next...
Honestly, I still feel like the difference between OP-X and the OB 8 are a lot farther apart than say Diva and a Model D. I hear what you mean in that demo, but I use OP-X 2 all the time (though I must admit due to a bug in Live I stopped using it for a while. Works fine in Bitwig) and in my experience I find it just sounds good. Is it time for the developer to maybe up the quality a bit to get it in line with RePro/Legend/Aira? Sure, I'll agree with that.

The defense rests!

Old 29th January 2018
  #44
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
While not a synthesizer exactly, I should do a shout out to IK Multimedia's Syntronik. It's a ROMpler, but they did a very nice job with the samples. Very detailed and rich sounding. The filters are also nice... though oddly underused in the presets. Great effects too. I've taken some very simple presets and just with the onboard effects done some really interesting tweaks. If you're looking for loads of classic synth sounds and aren't into rolling your own (with a lot of control), definitely check out that library. Loads up in Sampletank too.
Old 29th January 2018
  #45
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
OB-Xd is awesome, and it's 100% FREE. No strings attached.

--> LINK

Thanks! Sounds really good. One problem I have though is that no presets show up when I open it. I have to import them. I placed the OB folder in the documents folder like it says in the Read me file. If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong please help
Old 29th January 2018
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Honestly, I still feel like the difference between OP-X and the OB 8 are a lot farther apart than say Diva and a Model D. I hear what you mean in that demo, but I use OP-X 2 all the time (though I must admit due to a bug in Live I stopped using it for a while. Works fine in Bitwig) and in my experience I find it just sounds good. Is it time for the developer to maybe up the quality a bit to get it in line with RePro/Legend/Aira? Sure, I'll agree with that.

The defense rests!

that was OP-X 2 pro...I just said OP-X for brevity...

what do you mean "I still feel like the difference between OP-X and the OB 8 are a lot farther apart than say Diva and a Model D."

it sounds like you are agreeing with me which surely can't be

not sure what all the court case is about
Old 30th January 2018
  #47
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotuZia View Post
If you want a taste of 'analog and beyond', you could take a look at Xils-Lab synthesizers, because they all offer, beyond state of the art emulations, some unique/innovative and musical functions/features that set them apart from the basic 1/1 emulations, and make them belong to the XXIst century.
Thanks for the recommendation! I've started demo-ing XILS 4 tonight, and so far I really like it (too bad I wasn't allowed to save any of my test patches!).

As far as I can tell, it's a really deep and powerful synth, and I have to admit that it took me a while to wrap my head around its basic concepts
(e.g. in order to get the aux envs working, you have to edit the "trig connections" and enable "keyb on + gate". I did not find any example patches that used env1/2 (but then again I did not try all of them).

A little bit of (constructive) criticism:
- double-clicking the dials should reset the value (like in most other VSTs) (you have to use ctrl-click. double-click is not assigned to any function currently)
- the lshift modifier does not seem to work in the mod/pin matrix when editing the pin "weight" (was trying to fine-tune kbd tracking)
- the UI is not resizable (would be nice to see both synths (left+right) at the same time) (tried the plugin in Propellerhead Reason)
(EDIT#1: there's is a "gui: 3 cab" option that allows you to see both synths + the effects/envelopes/sequencer at the same time but the plugin needs to be reloaded)
- since the UI is also not zoomable (EDIT: except for the pin matrix (mousewheel)), it might be hard to read on 4k displays (I'm still using 1920x1200 so it's still large enough)
- minor: the "shape" modulation target in the pin matrix is called "width", which I found a bit confusing, maybe rename this to "shape" ?

Maybe you could convince XILS to add a HQ mode (via oversampling, or does it already do that internally?).
One of the patches I made was using filter-fm (the modulating OSC was set to +5 Oct) and I have a feeling that oversampling would have helped there
(it's certainly a real stresstest for all softsynths..and it already sounded good, the synth is quite aliasing-free in general)
(EDIT#2: running the synth at 96kHz did not make much of a difference but could it be that v1.0.3 handles this better than the v1.0.2 demo ? sounds fine to me now)

Ah yes: modulating the pulsewidth of OSC(2) with OSC3 (the octave setting does not seem to matter a lot in this case) temporarily caused some very nasty clicks (I was using headphones, but this could be problematic on speakers and should be looked into, IMHO)
(the issue occurs when starting voices that have previously decayed/become inactive. It does not seem to happen with "stolen" voices)
(after some further testing, it seems that even after setting the pin modulation to 0, or even removing the pin entirely, the pulse output of certain voices remained broken)
(..1 hour later and it turns out that the only way to resolve this is to create a new instance of the plugin -- re-initializing the patch was not enough)
(EDIT#2: now that I have bought the synth and am using the latest and greatest version v1.0.3, I was not able to reproduce this issue !)



Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to convey the impression that this synth is particularly buggy. Everything else worked perfectly and I found the sound to be very inspiring. Totally my cup of tea, so to speak :-)
The demo version (v1.0.2) I used is a bit older than the most recent full version (v1.0.3, released earlier this year), so maybe these issues have already been resolved.

I'm very grateful that companies like GForce (recently bought Oddity2), XILS, or U-He give us such high quality synths to play with.
XILS 4 is most certainly high on my wishlist now.
(I especially liked the way the "analog" dial works, and the sound of the chorus effect. Definitely different than any of the other synths/chorus fx at my disposal.)

Last but not least, I think it's safe to say that XILS 4 might not be the best synth for beginners -- or let's better say: for impatient people, you really have to spend some time with it.
In the past few hours I feel that I've only scratched the tip of the iceberg, didn't even try the s&h, lag module, sequencer, or external audio input, yet.
Wasn't too impressed by the presets (but I don't care much for presets, anyway).

The CPU usage seemed quite reasonable, btw. 18 voices were not a problem (on a single CPU core), and there were still a few cycles left for effects (more than enough for SoundToys' MicroShift and Synapse's DR-1 reverb).
Old 30th January 2018
  #48
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
that was OP-X 2 pro...I just said OP-X for brevity...

what do you mean "I still feel like the difference between OP-X and the OB 8 are a lot farther apart than say Diva and a Model D."

it sounds like you are agreeing with me which surely can't be

not sure what all the court case is about
Oh yeah. Strike that. Reverse it.
Old 30th January 2018
  #49
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I just pointed out a way it doesn't sound accurate as an emulation, I wasn't suggesting that my likes and dislikes are based on purely on technicalities...

My opinion based on sound is that the OP-X is a mediocre plugin with some Oberheim -like characteristics but an inherently plasticy sound, clicky envelopes and poor muted high end. Diva is much better in all aspects. I compared both directly to an OB8 and the OP-X fell way short, and Diva, well - I made 'Classic OB' and in the end I sold my OB8.

I guess what you are saying about me 'opening myself up to good software instruments' really means you want me to like the plugins you like...
So you preferred Diva over the OB8??
Old 30th January 2018
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emremusic View Post
So you preferred Diva over the OB8??
in truth it was a combination of the fact I rarely used the OB8, and that meant it risked developing issues (if you leave vintage synths unused it can cause problems) and I converted my favorite sounds to Diva with a custom GUI, and most people couldn't tell the difference in the tests I made...even a majority of experienced people (who I privately polled) got it wrong...I did ultimately prefer the sound of the OB8 but Diva was more convenient and versatile (and cheap)...





GS thread (60% wrong)

KVR thread (around 80% wrong)
Old 30th January 2018
  #51
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
Roland Cloud, Diva, The Legend, done.
Old 18th June 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 
syntonica's Avatar
I keep dreaming in analog, so I'm on a hunt for some analog goodness in my set up. I've been looking at real monos and virtual polys. I'm still on the fence as I'm trying to get rid of hardware (yeah, yeah, I know... It's an illness, but it's not contagious, so you can continue reading.)

In hardware, I can't find anything with a large enough tonal palette that doesn't cost over $1k or isn't larger than a bread box. So, I think I'm going to go ITB for my analog.

I've looked at Diva. It seems to be the Roland of VSTs. It sounds very nice in a mix, but is a tad flat for solo use. The Venn diagram of its palette seems to cover about 90% of each bit of hardware it emulates. Not bad.

The other VST I really like is Xils' PolyKB. It's like the Korg of VSTs. It's gorgeous sounding for solo, but needs serious EQ to sit in a mix. It's palette doesn't seem quite as large as Diva, if only because there is only one flavor of filter. Unfortunately, I have major issues with the GUI. Ugliest ever, not even a mother could love it. Skeuomorphic GUIs need to die screaming, especially when they are at an angle with shadows and knobs covering up everything. I tried the miniSyn'x, which while not as lovely sounding as the PolyKB, it did scratch my itch. With the dual layers, it really expands its palette. And the GUI is flat enough, I can overlook their hideous, buggy patch selector. Unfortunately, after about 15 minutes of use, more or less, the right channel will suddenly develop a loud buzz (analog sounding, of course), and I have to restart the plugin.

So, it looks like Diva for me (supplemented with OBXd, which seems to scratch about 80% of my OB6 itch, and TyrellN6, although I'm still trying to wheedle some of the good Juno 60 sounds I like out of it).

Is there anything I'm missing? I don't mind mono, but I never really cared for the Moog D palette (yeah, yeah, I can't help it--I was born this way...) Would a Korglogue or a BS2 make me happy? I do need patch storage.

The other VSTs out there leave a meh taste in my mouth. Saurus would be great if it didn't have that Tone2 FFT muffled, underwater sound to it. I really like the variety their plugs offer, but the overall sound leaves me cold. The Arturia stuff, I'm not familiar with, but nothing I've heard from them has motivated me to even demo their plugs.

As the meme says, Change my mind.
Old 1 week ago
  #53
If you want a good analog sound, Trilian is not bad. Neither is the roland cloud, the system 100, and sh2, plus the system 8, and system 1. The anthology stuff is great the jx 10 and alpha juno sampled really well and sounds way more analog than the VA engines.

For me there are 4 must have vst for analog sounds.

#1 the roland cloud.
#2 BX oberhousen
#3 Diva
#4 Repro 1 and 5

For great VA synths like the virus the best are Hive 2, and Dune 3.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump