The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Attn AKAI: MPC Live current requests/suggestions
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Attn AKAI: MPC Live current requests/suggestions

MPC LIVE: Let's round up where we are, for Akai's attention.

Disclaimer: I considered carefully whether to put this in the existing thread. I decided to give it its own thread because I would like to hope that Akai sees it and reviews it. I know XParis AKA Dan AKA "Akai Dan" has been extremely attentive, friendly and helpful in the other thread, and I hope he pops up again here (or at least brings this to other Akai people's attention). Once it's had a while to gestate, maybe it can get merged later?

Now that we've all been sitting with this unit for some months, let's take some stock.

I maintain that this is the single greatest change to my workflow since I started making music using a computer. I love the fluidity between the hardware and software. I love the immediacy of the Live. I love its potential, and its depth. I can see myself still learning how to use it better a year from now.

For this reason, it's really important to make a fuss of what can still be improved. The suggestions we make now, after using it for several months and with the updates, are going to be more reasonable than those we may have initially made (another reason for a new thread).

Here are my suggestions for the thread:

1) Suggestions and bug reports to mirror what we have all been feeding back via the software. Not only is it another way to get attention, but we can expand on these ideas and keep track of them (not possible when your suggestion vanishes once you send it).

2) List (and make a fuss of) anything which is currently impeding you, which is potentially fixable. Prioritise anything which you think is imminently achievable.

3) Avoid commenting on stuff which in your view is not likely to eventuate.

4) "+1" suggestions if you think they're vital.

5) If you just want to whinge about it, keep in mind there is a whole other thread.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

I'll start:

Highest priority:
* Better time signature control in the hardware. Whatever is there currently is convoluted and buggy. It's easy to do in the software, which provides a decent work-around. But this isn't good enough.

* More hardware button/encoder shortcuts, esp in editing screens, esp to eliminate touch screen presses where possible. E.g.:
* In Grid Menu: Shift + main encoder press = toggle transport / edit options. Currently, every time I need to swap between editing and scrolling (with the encoder) I have to tap the screen.
* In Grid Menu: Reconsider some of the Qlink functions, replacing with frequently used items: E.g. I rarely/never need to change sequence length with the Qlink, but I frequently need to zoom (which has no encoder assigned).

I can think of plenty more, but you guys have a go.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Suggestion:
Why no MIDI DIN input/output when in tethered mode? This is crazy to me.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
Suggestion:
Why no MIDI DIN input/output when in tethered mode? This is crazy to me.
this is absolutely possible already. you have to configure your midi ports in the software to use the MPC's ports.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Keygroups:
* I would like a mode to combine cycle/random with velocity. 4 samples per note is fine, but it moves us up a level if we can have 2 velocity layers + 2 alternate samples.

* Even better, considering keygroups within a program can overlap, adding a feature to cycle/random between overlapping keygroups would open things up immensely, allowing 4 velocity layers + x number of cycle/random layers.

* Also, given that keygroups overlap (somewhat purposelessly right now), why not offer fades on the extents of these groups' range? That way you can have a seamless transition between keygroups (something available in other samplers but not the Live). Even if there was just an on/off auto option for this that would be better than what it is right now.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xparis001 View Post
this is absolutely possible already. you have to configure your midi ports in the software to use the MPC's ports.
Ah. . . . OK, I will check it out.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

* Global option to remove soft attack on sample playback if you prefer it

I'm not buying another MPC until this is available.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Nut

1. arpeggiator for internal as well external midi/CV
2. hard disk streaming for audio tracks
3. USB ports with midi out, not just midi in
4. swing preview before applying it
5. option of 16 mono or 8 stereo audio tracks
6. Time stretching samples in a key group
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveItAll View Post
* Global option to remove soft attack on sample playback if you prefer it.
I agree. But it's worth noting that you can adjust the pad length on the start of all samples at once within a program.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgrind View Post
3. USB ports with midi out, not just midi in
Yeah that would be huge. That's a big one for me that I forgot to mention. +1!!!! (for clarity of those who do not know this machine, we're talking outgoing USB Ports (there is 2 of them). Of course its incoming USB supports the MPC MIDI IN/Out. We mean attaching a synth to the MPC via USB - would be great to send MIDI to it, not just receive from it.

Quote:
4. swing preview before applying it
You can sort of do this. Preferences: Q-link swing control applies TC settings on release (tick). Lets you hear swing changes as you twist the Q-link.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Nut

[/QUOTE]You can sort of do this. Preferences: Q-link swing control applies TC settings on release (tick). Let's you hear swing changes as you twist the Q-link.[/QUOTE]

Nice tip, thanks!

Last edited by joelgrind; 22nd January 2018 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Mis-quoted
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

I've been threatening to buy the X simply to have a standalone box with dedicated controls to multitrack stereo audio tracks and do some sampling and experimenting. Even with the 8 track limitation, I saw it as a great way to simplify and I could always mix down and start over with 7 fresh stereo tracks. No problem.

Problem seems that recording an 8-9 minute track multitracking and using all the tracks stresses the machine because of RAM limitations. This information is from users and videos I've seen. Akai would have had my $2200 months ago, it just seems there's a lot of work that needs to be done to get the machine up to "flagship" standards.

BTW, I worked with the Akai DPS24 for years a long with Cubase. The 24 was an amazing machine with top quality build and sounded beautiful. That machine is over 25 years old and had 24 tracks... the Tascam DP32 is $600 and has 32 tracks. If the X is essentially a computer, where's the computer power?
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
I've been threatening to buy the X simply to have a standalone box with dedicated controls to multitrack stereo audio tracks and do some sampling and experimenting. Even with the 8 track limitation, I saw it as a great way to simplify and I could always mix down and start over with 7 fresh stereo tracks. No problem.

Problem seems that recording an 8-9 minute track multitracking and using all the tracks stresses the machine because of RAM limitations. This information is from users and videos I've seen. Akai would have had my $2200 months ago, it just seems there's a lot of work that needs to be done to get the machine up to "flagship" standards.

BTW, I worked with the Akai DPS24 for years a long with Cubase. The 24 was an amazing machine with top quality build and sounded beautiful. That machine is over 25 years old and had 24 tracks... the Tascam DP32 is $600 and has 32 tracks. If the X is essentially a computer, where's the computer power?
I've read about people who are disappointed by the RAM. For others, like me, mainly using it as a sampler/sequencer, it has plenty of RAM. But in either case this is obviously something they're not going to address in this version of the Live/X (unless they bring in disk streaming). I am hoping this thread is used for suggestions that Akai can possibly take on board right now.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

1. Side chain!!!! Or at least some type of ducking effect, without it I will always need to go back to the pc. 2. A short cut from the main screen to program edit.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

- Grid edit 'Delete' selected notes by pressing Shift+Copy. Maaan would make my life easier.
- disk streaming - I'm hitting slow downs regularly when building full songs
- proper automation editing...such a poor limitation at the moment
- muting audio tracks in Track Mute (only midi tracks at the moment)
- USB midi in/out as already suggested by others
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

- shift+pad shortcuts...like the old mpcs used to have. If akai were particularly friendly then it would be amazing to have a way to choose these shortcuts (even of this was controlled in the software) but obviously available in standalone. Or alternatively enable keyboard shortcuts with a USB keyboard.
- midi cc control/mapping with external controller
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Head

One I'd like to see is that when using an external controller to record MIDI, that when the "Full Level" / "Half Level" is enabled it ignores the incoming velocity data and goes with what the button is set to (i.e. same as when you enter notes using the pads)
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleighton22 View Post
- Grid edit 'Delete' selected notes by pressing Shift+Copy. Maaan would make my life easier.
- disk streaming - I'm hitting slow downs regularly when building full songs
- proper automation editing...such a poor limitation at the moment
- muting audio tracks in Track Mute (only midi tracks at the moment)
- USB midi in/out as already suggested by others
wait what now..there's no HD streaming..? so it loads all sounds and samples into RAM and doesn't stream longer stuff from the disc, really..?
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Always have zoom available on a q link. Pinch zoom is ok would be much quicker on a q link. THANKS OP!
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Nut

Crossfade looping
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
- shift+pad shortcuts...like the old mpcs used to have.
Yes, I would also love shift+pad options.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
wait what now..there's no HD streaming..? so it loads all sounds and samples into RAM and doesn't stream longer stuff from the disc, really..?
Correct. Everything comes from the RAM. The MPC has 2 gig installed but you're effectively limited to about 500-600 meg.

I find this is quite a lot, even when using audio tracks. However, if you were only to use it as a kind of DAW (relying mostly on lengthy audio tracks) then you may run into problems. But if sampling/sequencing is your main focus, with audio tracks as kinda supplementary, then it works fine.

I'm yet to burn even a third of its memory on one of my completed tunes, but I rely a lot on fairly complex arrangements of samples.
Old 22nd January 2018
Gear Addict

It's not really just audio tracks, I seem to get slow down mostly in grid mode when dealing with lengthy sequences (even where there are no audio tracks). Could be more of a CPU issue, I dunno. I'm sure hd streaming would help keep things running smoother.
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's not really just audio tracks, I seem to get slow down mostly in grid mode when dealing with lengthy sequences (even where there are no audio tracks). Could be more of a CPU issue, I dunno. I'm sure hd streaming would help keep things running smoother.
At the risk of derailing my own thread, how long are your sequences usually? Mine are between about 4 -32 bars, give or take.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Nut

Is there a way to save all new samples in standalone mode? Like if i sample a bunch of things in how do I save all of those samples to my external drive? The way I do it now is assign it to a pad and then save it individually. Maybe I'm missing something, but its a PITA if you have a bunch of samples. My old MV-8800 allowed you to just save a drum program as individual .wavs.
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

+1 arpeggiator! Port the arp from your controllers and I’d be one happy dude.
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there a way to save all new samples in standalone mode? Like if i sample a bunch of things in how do I save all of those samples to my external drive? The way I do it now is assign it to a pad and then save it individually. Maybe I'm missing something, but its a PITA if you have a bunch of samples. My old MV-8800 allowed you to just save a drum program as individual .wavs.
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but you can save anything whichever way you please, together or individually. You can pull one program out of a project and put it in another, for example. All the samples and other material are saved under a project folder. You may not see this on the hardware, because the browse screen hides folders (only showing the project file). To unhide them, in the browse menu, tick the folder with MPC written on it with a cross through it. This shows all hidden files and folders.

You should save everything to your own media, not the internal drive. The latter does not show up when in controller mode. If you have an SD or SSD connected, simply save all your data to that, and you can access the same folders/samples in either controller or standalone modes.
Old 23rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Here's mine:
  • Mute grid page for Audio tracks (like MIDI tracks)
  • MIDI Channel assignment for tracks
  • MIDI assignment for USB input devices (currently set to ALL)
  • More MIDI features for USB input devices (thru off etc)
  • Copy features with select tool in MIDI sequencer
  • Default Q-Link mapping for Pitch & Reverse for samples in Drum tracks
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but you can save anything whichever way you please, together or individually. You can pull one program out of a project and put it in another, for example. All the samples and other material are saved under a project folder. You may not see this on the hardware, because the browse screen hides folders (only showing the project file). To unhide them, in the browse menu, tick the folder with MPC written on it with a cross through it. This shows all hidden files and folders.

You should save everything to your own media, not the internal drive. The latter does not show up when in controller mode. If you have an SD or SSD connected, simply save all your data to that, and you can access the same folders/samples in either controller or standalone modes.
What I'm asking is:
I want to make a project, sample kicks, snares etc from my various drum machines and then save these as separate samples in wav format to my external drive for use in ableton, other samplers etc. I do not want to save these as a drum program or as a song. Just separate wav files (i.e. Snare1.wav, 808kick.wav etc)
Is there a way to sample all of these and then save ALL of them in just one go.
The way I'm doing it now is: Sample kick drum, add it to pad 1, hit the pencil tool and select "save current sample". If you have 50 drum samples this is a pain in the a**.

To be clear, I do not want these as an akai drum program format. I want the wav files, and I want them all saved (50 separate samples) at the same time to my external drive.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Nut

I think I see what you are saying, if you save it as a project you can see a hidden folder and see all the samples? I'll have to try it when I get home, would be nice if there was an option to save every sample in a drum program as a separate sample (ala Roland MV-8800) while working in the project though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search