The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Attn AKAI: MPC Live current requests/suggestions
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgrind View Post
Thought of another:
A way to fold the notes of the scale you are in in the grid edit screen ala Ableton. In other words, only show the notes in the scale you are in. Would be amazing for screen real estate.
This is a great idea and should be a simple one. It’s essential on a small screen.

I would like more varied chords/progressions untethered, or the ability to create custom chords in standalone.
Old 27th January 2018
VDB
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thought of another:
A way to fold the notes of the scale you are in in the grid edit screen ala Ableton. In other words, only show the notes in the scale you are in. Would be amazing for screen real estate.
Like in Korg gadget! Yes!
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Like in Korg gadget! Yes!
would be especially useful because every time you open up the grid edit mode it defaults all the way back down to the c-2, even if it just defaulted to where the notes used are that would be better, its brutal scrolling around on that screen looking for notes every time.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

To fix/improve-

-user configurable startup screen for quick project loading during gigs
- fix the sequence loop not saving bug
-fix the short clips not allowing one shot playing over the top bug unless clips are +1min long
- link pads function in clips mode needed
-envelope mode for clips for slow attack and long release etc
- fix q link states not saving bug

There’s more but it’s early
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpctutor View Post
- Submixes in standalone
- Keygroup and layer crossfading
- ability to combine cycles and velocity switching
- apply effects in SAMPLE EDIT
- generate an additional 'release' to sample chops like Recycle does (this was there in the MPC1000/2500)
- Browser to fully index and tag your sound library, so we can search the entire library for specific sounds, i.e. like the Maschine browser.
- proper automation editing
- XYFX to control your choice of effects
- drag and drop track and sequence reordering
- single release cycle for controller and standalone modes to avoid lengthy periods where one mode lacks the features of the other
- public bug tracker so we can see which bugs have already been reported and know which ones are being attended to
- autoload feature
- select and load multiple files with shift
- i really hate when i exit a folder and am back at the top of the list again!!
- i really hate when selecting samples & retrieving myself at the top of the list, again
- i really really hate it when selecting notes or events, doing some transform and then having lost the (previous) selection
- select multiple pads with shift in mixer mode
- attack for the LFO
- a second LFO or a new effect with multiple lfos

- other parameters than note & velocity to assign to CV
- -5 -> +5 V CV out
- continuous parameters to assign to CV (like LFO, or note pressure, MIDI cc, MIDI clock)

i didn't retain the more horizontal (pad) whishes from TUTOR as this would imply a total re-engin of the essence of the MPC (i think)

the release parameter when chopping is also present on the MPC4000
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

I suggest only using the ”thumbsup” icons when +1’ing feature suggestions, as this will keep this thread clutter-free?

My feature requests (All only applying to STANDALONE mode):

- Proper graphical editing of automation, something like what already exists for velocity.. You select the automatable param u want and a lane shows up where the velo used to be

- Multitimbral MIDI input like on JJOS, so that you can control the first 16 tracks of the MPC with ext MIDI, all simultaneously. Also the ability to record all this MIDI to the seq (with currently selected time correct setting applying to all tracks)

- Improved TRACK MUTE, NEXT SEQ and PAD PERFORM modes:
* TRACK MUTE should also show audio tracks. At a bare minimum, MUTE GROUPS should allow combining audio track and regular track mutes
* NEXT SEQ should remember its selections even when exiting the menu! Cmon every other MPC had this one right..
* PAD PERFORM mode should work more like 16 PADS mode, ie. you enter the mode and it stays on until toggled off.. Actually, why cannot the pad perform be a new entry in the 16 PADS menu? It would fit in ideologically IMO

- Insertion of MIDI PGM CHNG and time signature/tempo changes should be possible in the event editor (if this already works, apologies)

- Audio disk streaming, even for a few tracks if not for all 8, would be great

Those are my biggest feature requests.. I’m sure I could think up much more but these are the most important ones for me. The ”sample attack not being 0” is also a big one, but I understood its already being looked into?

On another front, retronyms has a long way to go in making iMPC Pro 2 fully support project exporting to MPC live / MPC X. If you already didn’t know, you can export MPC format projects from the app via iTunes sharing (only limited to 1 project at a time atm though). Akai would do well to offer more resources with this to retronyms, as the synergy benefits of having an iOS content editor for the standalones, would be superb! really to be able to make fully fleshed Live/X programs on the go with an iPhone, icloud sync em to your DAW, xfer to the standalones, boom. What a great way to remote record / edit / author your sample fodder IMO. Or even better yet, just export the programs and projects from iMPC straight to the standalones, cutting out iTunes etc, since the standalones already support wifi and bluetooth?
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post

- Improved TRACK MUTE, NEXT SEQ and PAD PERFORM modes:
* TRACK MUTE should also show audio tracks. At a bare minimum, MUTE GROUPS should allow combining audio track and regular track mutes
* NEXT SEQ should remember its selections even when exiting the menu! Cmon every other MPC had this one right..
* PAD PERFORM mode should work more like 16 PADS mode, ie. you enter the mode and it stays on until toggled off.. Actually, why cannot the pad perform be a new entry in the 16 PADS menu? It would fit in ideologically IMO
Yes. These things are SO important. + a million.

And I'm going to repeat another request. . . Shift + Pad = customisable menus. !!!
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

MIDI Track Clip Launching (not just audio)
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

record track mutes, midi notes and automation at the same time

i want to take the drums out for a few bars then bring them back in, why can't i play a few notes or automate a synth drop leading up to the drums coming back in?

is this not how all live electronic music is done? in what universe does a live electronic musician tell their audience 'hold on, we're going to do one run just track muting, another run with some note playing and another run with some effects'

(it's because akai markets this is a 'hip-hop' machine). only electronic producers would have use for those features right? they're all about multiple devices and flashing lights and bleeps and bloops and all of that right? this is a traditional(lol) prosumer hip-hop thang over here, why would any of our satisfied user base want that right? it only makes sense from a questionable marketing standpoint and in no way does it make sense in any practical useful way smh

how about this, let the track mute screen and track mute mode not be tethered to one another. you do not use the screen for track mutes only the pads it makes no sense to negate midi note recording and automation recording just because track mute mode needs to have its display up at all times
Old 27th January 2018
Gear Addict

Some very good suggestions in this thread, but do you honestly believe that any of these will be added in future updates? This is Akai we are talking about here. Look at how they treated older MPC's. The new MPC's are most probably already abandoned.
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewing View Post
record track mutes, midi notes and automation at the same time

i want to take the drums out for a few bars then bring them back in, why can't i play a few notes or automate a synth drop leading up to the drums coming back in?

is this not how all live electronic music is done? in what universe does a live electronic musician tell their audience 'hold on, we're going to do one run just track muting, another run with some note playing and another run with some effects'

(it's because akai markets this is a 'hip-hop' machine). only electronic producers would have use for those features right? they're all about multiple devices and flashing lights and bleeps and bloops and all of that right? this is a traditional(lol) prosumer hip-hop thang over here, why would any of our satisfied user base want that right? it only makes sense from a questionable marketing standpoint and in no way does it make sense in any practical useful way smh

how about this, let the track mute screen and track mute mode not be tethered to one another. you do not use the screen for track mutes only the pads it makes no sense to negate midi note recording and automation recording just because track mute mode needs to have its display up at all times
Can you give an idea of how this would work? I can’t imagine EVER wanting to record a track mute while recording notes, so is this an option you imagine being able to turn on and off? If we use “only the pads” for track mute, then how do you record MIDI from the pads?

What you’re describing has nothing to do with “hip hop vs electronic music”. Do rap producers not use track muting?
Old 27th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmanwarz View Post
The new MPC's are most probably already abandoned.
I have no idea if our suggestions will be implemented, but you know a new OS was just released this week, right?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
MIDI Track Clip Launching (not just audio)
+1

Clip mode is needlessly hobbled at the moment.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some very good suggestions in this thread, but do you honestly believe that any of these will be added in future updates? This is Akai we are talking about here. Look at how they treated older MPC's. The new MPC's are most probably already abandoned.
I think you're exaggerating, and this thread is worthwhile. Akai know about this thread - they have linked to it from their facebook. They are certainly still updating the Live and X, and have made various improvements from the start. I don't think we can rightfully complain if they make a very usable, standalone MPC which syncs with software, and implements a few of our requests (they have already - list mode in the HW for example, as well as a number of other minor improvements, some being the direct result of user suggestions). Point me to another company doing something comparable.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut
It’s also in their commercial interest to keep updating the MPC. A lot of noise about the MPC has died down as new products come to market (Maschine 3, Ableton 10, Deluge, and many others), so with new updates and features, it keeps the product fresh and relevant. That’s how NI and Ableton keep their fanbase loyal.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think what you are describing is how NuKai used to roll during the times when MPC Ren was fresh. IMO they have stepped up their game since then. We already got a lot more updates last year than with many previous MPCs during their first year of existence.

But hey, feel free to look fondly to the past, ”when Roger Linn was still making those masterpieces and its all been downhill since! 60/3K furreveh!”
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut

YouTube

They added a few more things than just the expansion pack and flatten pads...like quicker sample attack times.

This is starting to go in the right direction!
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihearanewworld View Post
Can you give an idea of how this would work? I can’t imagine EVER wanting to record a track mute while recording notes, so is this an option you imagine being able to turn on and off? If we use “only the pads” for track mute, then how do you record MIDI from the pads?

What you’re describing has nothing to do with “hip hop vs electronic music”. Do rap producers not use track muting?
so the idea of bringing the drums back in, and leading into it by tapping a few notes/samples has never entered your mind....EVER? or leading into it by turning a knob while playing a synth? you are aware that this concept is basically A GIVEN in any live electronic music performance correct? maybe i should ask you, how would you ever think otherwise?

read my quote again

artist to crowd: 'hold on, we're going to do one run just track muting, another run with some note playing and another run with some effects'....lol

again i ask, in what universe is this a good thing? the answer is in no universe. it is the equivalent of dual purposing the gas and brake pedal into one pedal where one must press a button to switch between gas and break. this is so far beyond outdated and just plain the wrong way to do things

and yes, a simple midi input from an external device would allow playing of notes and track muting at the same time. or if they really wanted to get their 2020 'til infinity on, include both track buttons along with the midi pads(!) of course, they also left out automation recording while in track mute mode as well so ball=dropped

so as someone who as only ever experienced a dual purposed gas/brake pedal like yourself and the majority of others sadly, i try to open your collective minds to having access to a gas pedal and break pedal AT THE SAME TIME! there is no logical argument against it....EVER

btw the hip-hop vs electronic thing was me addressing akais recent history of hard selling their machines to the hip-hop crowd, unaware that they are selling these people short while thinking they will just buy it any way (ie yes racist marketing tactics). they used to relegate their trolls to hip-hop forums and talk all types of falseness thinking it would never get out of the hip-hop forums smh

producing is the same as performing, the workflow is the same. if they only give you the option to always have to stop/start/switch modes it would suck. but if that is the only way you feel comfortable producing/performing then a simple option to revert to that could be made for nostalgic reasons i guess. otherwise the default mode should be an open concept all together performance mode. that is what everything is evolving towards

and since production workflow = performance workflow, this will improve production and performance no matter the genre
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Thinking about mixing and workflow, I'm wondering with the X if the 16 que links could be used as volume controls for the 16 pads. So if there's 16 loops spinning on the 16 pads, instead of writing automation, there was a "mixer mode" to where all the que links performed as basically faders on a mixer. This is different than just muting and unmuting tracks because that would be just be turning sounds on and off, this method would provide volume changes for dynamics and movement... a realtime mix.

This might already be a feature, if so right on, if not, from a traditional mixing stand point, a powerful way to keep even more duties in the machine.

My idea, if I ever do get the X, was to use the 8 outputs into my mixer, either stereo groups or seperate mono sends ( is this an option, mix and match?) and mix in realtime into my DAW (probably just a single stereo capture). But if all the sounds captured in the X sound great up front, without needing additional processing (printing as you go) the X could make a great mixing machine.
Old 28th January 2018
VDB
Lives for gear

Quote:
so the idea of bringing the drums back in, and leading into it by tapping a few notes/samples has never entered your mind....EVER? or leading into it by turning a knob while playing a synth? you are aware that this concept is basically A GIVEN in any live electronic music performance correct? maybe i should ask you, how would you ever think otherwise?

read my quote again

artist to crowd: 'hold on, we're going to do one run just track muting, another run with some note playing and another run with some effects'....lol

again i ask, in what universe is this a good thing? the answer is in no universe. it is the equivalent of dual purposing the gas and brake pedal into one pedal where one must press a button to switch between gas and break. this is so far beyond outdated and just plain the wrong way to do things

and yes, a simple midi input from an external device would allow playing of notes and track muting at the same time. or if they really wanted to get their 2020 'til infinity on, include both track buttons along with the midi pads(!) of course, they also left out automation recording while in track mute mode as well so ball=dropped

so as someone who as only ever experienced a dual purposed gas/brake pedal like yourself and the majority of others sadly, i try to open your collective minds to having access to a gas pedal and break pedal AT THE SAME TIME! there is no logical argument against it....EVER

btw the hip-hop vs electronic thing was me addressing akais recent history of hard selling their machines to the hip-hop crowd, unaware that they are selling these people short while thinking they will just buy it any way (ie yes racist marketing tactics). they used to relegate their trolls to hip-hop forums and talk all types of falseness thinking it would never get out of the hip-hop forums smh

producing is the same as performing, the workflow is the same. if they only give you the option to always have to stop/start/switch modes it would suck. but if that is the only way you feel comfortable producing/performing then a simple option to revert to that could be made for nostalgic reasons i guess. otherwise the default mode should be an open concept all together performance mode. that is what everything is evolving towards

and since production workflow = performance workflow, this will improve production and performance no matter the genre
Take advantage of the 6 outs, mute your drums in a mixer, play the pads and have a synth with keys you can also play.
Use the aux sends on said mixer for real time fx “automation” that’s how people play live with MPCs.
Not trying to take akai’s side necessarily but seems like you are griping about things that can be done easily.
There’s tons of examples online of videos of people doing just that, look them up!
Old 28th January 2018
VDB
Lives for gear

Now back on topic, is there a way to distill down the most desired/ requested improvements and maybe send those to akai, instead of everyone adding their 2 cents and diluting the message?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

I like the MPC X, but they really need a bit of work to be closer to complete. I really really like the touchscreen. The build quality is great. It sounds great. The recordings sound great. All the controls are superb. I love the Qlinks with the oleds.

With that said here are some things I have thought of after owning this MPC for about 4 days now. I'm sure I will think of more eventually.

1. Midi Input implementation like the mpc 4000
a. Midi filtering - lets say I just want to receive midi clock and only notes on channel 4 and 8.
b. midi routing - lets say I want midi channel 4 routed to drum program and channel 8 routed to a keygroup program.

2. Midi clock with less Jitter. I've noted a Jitter of 128th - 256th note when recording to DAW with MPC as master and slave at ~130bpms.

3. Ability to save template project that auto loads on startup.

4. Vintage modes aren't very good at all. I have an akai s900(same as mpc 60) and it sounds NOTHING like this. Not even remotely close. Would be nice to have more controls like how you can push the input gain when recording to s900 to get wildly different tones when recording. Really these modes are junk. Absolute junk. Please call up roland and ask how you can ACB these vintage modes or just dont add them at all if they will be this bad. They are next to useless.

5. In grid view, I would like to see the play head loop properly when a track is set to fewer beats then the sequence. Maybe this is doable but all I see is these grayed out sections with yellow lines. Please make the playhead loop at 8 beats if the track is set to that. This is visually terrible in my opinion.
6. Sampler : Please make it so we can set the recorder to start when transport starts and record for X number of bars instead of just seconds. Roland MC-909 could do this and it was great. Machine was super old. This is 2017 and these flagship mpcs should have this simple feature.
7. FX: Better reverbs(they are meh) and more synched delays. Also for delays that are not synched please allow for more granular time. If I want to set a delay for 343 ms because thats a dotted 1/8 note delay for 131 bpms. I can only do like 329 or 348 or something. I've found no way to get it more granular then this.
8. Q-links with instrument definitions - Lets say I want to save a midi program for a external synth I have. I'd like to name it, save it as program and save qlinks associated with it, renaming q-links so ie the oleds show cutoff instead of CC74.

8. Midi FX - The pad performance is a start but please implement it so they can be used in grid view as well. IE set the track to chord mode and when you enter notes in grid they are chords or constrained scales etc. Also user chords or chord memory would be great. Moreover please visit squarp pyramid website(Effect manager) to see all their lovely midi FX and implement some of them.
9. easy way to nudge with no snapping on single steps in step sequencer.

Last edited by owensands; 28th January 2018 at 10:16 PM..
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyfan View Post
If the X is essentially a computer, where's the computer power?
It's basically a tablet merged with a controller surface and midi/audio interface.
So it has tablet computer power. If it had laptop computer power it most likely would have cost a lot more in retail price.

Most likely they will iterate on the concept when new CPU types come out or they combine it with DSP type co-processors. Even then it will be underpowered compared to an I9 extreme CPU with 128 gigs of ram and a few Octacore UAD cards.

Streaming from disk would be lovely. But why this was not implemented from the start is rather peculiar.

A while back I was recording some music in the X and it ended being all garbled because it couldn't handle the input and update the screen. Solution was to not to view the sampled part so the screen wouldn't need that to have updated and the recording went just fine. But optimization wise there might be some more room for improvements. Both memory wise and CPU wise.
Old 28th January 2018
Quote:

read my quote again

My production workflow is not my performance workflow.

In your original post you talk about “recording” trackmutes and automation. Why would you record these things live? When you say “record” do you mean “input”? When you say “automation” do you mean “change parameters”?
Old 28th January 2018
Here for the gear

hi folks, i have had a mpc 500 in the past that make me crazy. today iám a happy mpc live user. so what...? all great.
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut

Someone just reminded me of this one:

- Tempo change events

Currently there's no way to change tempo mid-sequence. You can chain together multiple sequences of different BPM in SONG MODE, but upon converting back to a single sequence (required for many different reasons) those tempo changes are lost and the sequence just takes the BPM of the first step in song mode.

Tempo change events should also have the ability to be automated.
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

In your original post you talk about “recording” trackmutes and automation. Why would you record these things live? When you say “record” do you mean “input”? When you say “automation” do you mean “change parameters”?
I was thinking that too. When I read his post and ideas I was thinking of the term “sticky”. For instance a “sticky track mute” might stay engaged as you switch off the Track Mute Screen until the next sequence or when the sequence rolls over. Then you could hit a mute and drop some drums, switch screens and trigger an effect or some Program Note, then when the Next Sequence comes in, the “sticky mute” “unsticks” and you go back to normal.

You’re right, it’s not like you’d want that to be recorded forever - it’s a performance.

This also goes back to the Next Sequence - it just simply MUST remember the Next sequence when you switch to another screen. It doesn’t now and it’s a performance KILLER. You can’t do anything in anticipation of what comes next if the next thing is in another sequence. As soon as you switch to do something else, it forgets and you’re done.

If Next Sequenced remembered, you could also use “sticky track mutes” to alter the current sequence, go to X/Y and then drop into a new Sequence.

Maybe?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDB View Post
Take advantage of the 6 outs, mute your drums in a mixer, play the pads and have a synth with keys you can also play.
Use the aux sends on said mixer for real time fx “automation” that’s how people play live with MPCs.
Not trying to take akai’s side necessarily but seems like you are griping about things that can be done easily.
There’s tons of examples online of videos of people doing just that, look them up!
they've been saying this to me for years lol. all of that is just a workaround and requires audio and external devices and unlike you say, is not easy at all because i am talking about midi sequencing, very basic midi sequencing at that

the sequencer 'should' be able to capture track mute events and midi events like notes and automation simultaneously

period.....

and for all who pine for the other way of doing things this does not also mean you can't do that also. like nobody is twisting your arm to make you record track mutes and midi information at the same time lol

but to think this is not an ideal way is showing a resistance to change

Quote:

like i just said, nobody is making you record track mutes and notes and automation at the same time

but to think this is not a good thing is ignorant

the whole purpose of recording track mutes is to flesh out a song. this is opposed to stringing sequences together then playing it back

the latter is how people think mpcs should be used, this is only one way and a limited way at that. the fun, magic and many dope arrangement decisions happen live(!)

on the contrary, the way i produce is to record each track with different breakdowns and melodies etc, then realize the arrangement live in real time via track mutes, playing some notes and turning a few knobs(ok i do mostly just sampling but this is the same thing and of equal importance). rarely do i string sequences together because i have already done each piece on its own track within one sequence, then realize it live in the moment. not that i haven't strung sequences together, just that, that on its own is not the best way to write out an arrangement

but to fully get the benefits of the track buttons one would need to be open to the concept of always having track buttons AND midi note pads AND rotary encoders(automation) together at the same time

that is where the magic happens both in production and live performance. nobody knows this though because basically only one or two machines exist that have both track buttons and midi pads and encoders that can be played/recorded simultaneously

jumping between tracks and having physical track buttons without ever stopping the sequencer is the production workflow i am talking about that most will just not understand

to have a dedicated track button section and a dedicated midi note section and encoders that can all be recorded in a live performance together and/or all are used simultaneous during the production itself is the mpc/sp/maschine etc fully realized

and they tease us with the touch screen and piano roll. so we can build tracks and such, but we cannot do a live rendition to flesh out the track, we are left to compartmentalize each step based on a 'traditional' way of using a machine like this
Old 28th January 2018
Gear Nut

Thought of a new one, maybe mine is just broken though:

On boot up have it recognize my USB keyboard (tried it with both Akai's MPK 49 and a k-board). As it is now, if I have a USB midi keyboard plugged in when I boot up I have to unplug and plug it back in for it to recognize it. Anyone else have this happen?
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thought of a new one, maybe mine is just broken though:

On boot up have it recognize my USB keyboard (tried it with both Akai's MPK 49 and a k-board). As it is now, if I have a USB midi keyboard plugged in when I boot up I have to unplug and plug it back in for it to recognize it. Anyone else have this happen?
I’ve had the same thing happen with my A-49 and keystep keyboards. Switched to using USB powerhubs for power and DIN MIDI cables since though, not sure if a recent firmware might have fixed this?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search