The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Prologue
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marks View Post
In my opinion the preset 4 sounds better with the slight overdrive from the filter in its 16 voice version. I even think that this was the true intention of the sound designer of this preset. As it gives the bass a very interesting edge, at least in my opinion. I would not consider it a limitation or problem. A powerful and big 16 analog voice bass is something that I like. In the Prologue 16 delivers
Well, to me it clearly sounds like digital clipping as opposed to creamy ladder filter saturation. It comes and goes and creates this edge. It is not a sound with a constant edge, rather random, depending on how the voices add together. Like a Gaussian distribution exceeding the headroom from time to time. But each to his own
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Well, to me it clearly sounds like digital clipping as opposed to creamy ladder filter saturation. It comes and goes and creates this edge. It is not a sound with a constant edge, rather random, depending on how the voices add together. Like a Gaussian distribution exceeding the headroom from time to time. But each to his own
It could be digital clipping because the signal goes through an ADC to get to the digital effects, then DAC out. The clipping might be taking place at that stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
It could be digital clipping because the signal goes through an ADC to get to the digital effects, then DAC out. The clipping might be taking place at that stage.
Another possibility is that patch was original designed in a Prologue 8 and then ported to the Prologue 16 without level correction, hence the mild distortion. However, I found that with the patch level control this overdrive is easily tamed, i f this is what you want.

An interesting question would be if the FX are off, the signal continues passing thru the ADC and DAC converters or the digital stage is bypassed and the analogue sound is directly send to the analogue outputs.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
i can't find the prologue 8 anymore on thomann. would be strange if korg cut it. it's proper competition for the other affordable polys out there. although the 16 is same money as the rev28v. i know everyone here says to get the 16 but i think there's a lot of ppl out there for whom 500 euros is a big stretch and could mean an 8 voice today versus in one year from now. who knows. i just went and took a look because someone posted the 770 gbp price.
Seems like it got discontinued.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Seems like it got discontinued.
It seemed like the weakest configuration. I hope they do a follow on, but I expect they won't. Too many complicating factors. No strategic follow through. It was a great effort. But I expected more for a 1st generation flagship technical innovation. We would have gone bonkers on aftermarket research on a product venture like this.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Wonder if you guys have made any music with your prologues or just spent all this time inspecting it with oscilloscopes?

Me? Have written 4 doozys on the Prologue alone (all P16 and sounding great) since having it, + it's involved in most of my other tracks on the album I'm working on. Prophet 10 will join it soon. Love it.
Old 1 day ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Here's a first demo of the oscillator I'm developing for the Prologue. I'm happy to share it when it's ready to go.

Old 20 hours ago
Here for the gear

I got a prologue 8 today. Already annoyed with the awful lag on the arpeggiator caused by the auto switching internal/external midi clock start up.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
I have actually realised I can get close to some of the Lyle Mays' synth sounds with the Prologue. I think it's the two-pole filter perhaps.
RIP Lyle... 2020 has really sucked...
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
i can't find the prologue 8 anymore on thomann. would be strange if korg cut it. it's proper competition for the other affordable polys out there. although the 16 is same money as the rev28v. i know everyone here says to get the 16 but i think there's a lot of ppl out there for whom 500 euros is a big stretch and could mean an 8 voice today versus in one year from now. who knows. i just went and took a look because someone posted the 770 gbp price.
Prologue stock has been a bit weird for a while, I'm almost thinking (or maybe just hoping?) they're going to drop a prologue xd next year.

There are some other shops with 8-voice models (Juno, Gear4music), but I don't think any of them are selling it as cheap as Thomann did.
Old 16 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Life View Post
Prologue stock has been a bit weird for a while, I'm almost thinking (or maybe just hoping?) they're going to drop a prologue xd next year.

There are some other shops with 8-voice models (Juno, Gear4music), but I don't think any of them are selling it as cheap as Thomann did.
aaaa.... the prologue os the top of the line for that series. it's already the xd of the minilogue xd

it might just be a supply issue or not. i see that other shops still have them in stock but it doesn't mean it's not discontinued. but it would be surprising though. korg tend to keep products alive for many years. hell, the original minilogue is available to buy. prologue is what, 2 years old?
Old 15 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
aaaa.... the prologue os the top of the line for that series. it's already the xd of the minilogue xd

it might just be a supply issue or not. i see that other shops still have them in stock but it doesn't mean it's not discontinued. but it would be surprising though. korg tend to keep products alive for many years. hell, the original minilogue is available to buy. prologue is what, 2 years old?
The minilogue came out in 2016 with the xd coming out in 2019
The prologue came out in 2018 with the xd coming out in... 2021?

There are definitely things they could add/improve in the prologue. Like adding a minilogue-style sequencer, allowing mod/delay/reverb all at the same time like on the minilogue xd, expanding the modulation side just a tiny bit... And of course adding aftertouch!

But yeah, this is more just me hoping they would do something like that rather than expecting it to actually happen
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
https://hammondeggsmusic.ca/logueplugins/shapes.html
hammondeggsmusic Shapes is a continually waveform from tri-saw-square-pwm. It has its own LFO and you just set your Shape knob to the Square part and modulate it a little with the osc-internal-LFO for how much PWM you want and how fast.
Shapes is the perfect companion and all the waveforms in it sounds great, which is the most important part for me
I haven't gone very far into checking out User Oscs, but I have a handful of the hammondeggs oscs (and the BBD fx) and am very impressed. "It sounds great" is as right-on as can be.
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBDA1176 View Post
Wonder if you guys have made any music with your prologues or just spent all this time inspecting it with oscilloscopes?

Me? Have written 4 doozys on the Prologue alone (all P16 and sounding great) since having it, + it's involved in most of my other tracks on the album I'm working on. Prophet 10 will join it soon. Love it.
There's a touch of M400, but otherwise, all keyboard sounds are Prologue...

(Edit: Don't be fooled by the DX-7! It was a prop and has been sold in proud shame since we used it for filming!)

Last edited by Grumblepig; 1 hour ago at 11:51 PM.. Reason: synth-geek keyboard clarification
📝 Reply