The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Prologue
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatLife View Post
Yep, i think that sound can be good for some Cinema production.
btw i'm mostly not used digital oscillator, just for some noises and lfo-modulations, and of course no any custom oscillators here, clear Prologue sounds from the box
It's good work! The oscillator is just the beginning, the beauty is in the whole machine and what you do with it :-)
Yul
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
A spectrum of a single key held down consisting of two analog sawtooths, same frequency, filter open. Basic patch, added a second VCO with sawtooth, no more.

If you did the same with the XD, the spectrum would look much cleaner.

The tones around the fundamental might be the fade outs of previous notes but the low frequency tone at 130 Hz or so was persisting.
Hey can you provide an update please? Have you identified the reason? I am curious. Would it be some digital artifact in the fx chain?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yul View Post
Hey can you provide an update please? Have you identified the reason? I am curious. Would it be some digital artifact in the fx chain?
It goes tomorrow to the store, repair triggered. I was going to local store and had observed the same issue on one demo unit, rarer. But it was hard to judge due to the louder environment.

I bet Korg will claim that this is normal. Lets see...
Yul
Lives for gear

Quote:
It goes tomorrow to the store, repair triggered. I was going to local store and had observed the same issue on one demo unit, rarer. But it was hard to judge due to the louder environment.

I bet Korg will claim that this is normal. Lets see...
Good stuff please do report back! Thanks
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Getting to grips the with my new Prologue. Had it lock up once to the point where I had to pull the power cable and another instance which was whilst triggering it from a sequence in Live. The display for the the digital oscillator went mad and the synth started producing discordant sounds.

Has anyone else experienced issues like that?
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcm70 View Post
Getting to grips the with my new Prologue. Had it lock up once to the point where I had to pull the power cable and another instance which was whilst triggering it from a sequence in Live. The display for the the digital oscillator went mad and the synth started producing discordant sounds.

No, but then I have nothing connected into it. There was a report here about a bricking due to an interrupted firmware update.
Quote:

I've had the lock up...Had to kill the power supply as well. Hasn't happened for many months though. As always, ensure that you don't have a midi loop happening.

Good luck!
Old 17th October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

I suppose the reason for having to cut the power to reboot in the event of a lock up is explained by the fact that the power switch is software controlled. So when it crashes, you lose access to it. That was one of the problems in the failed firmware update, since the synth had no OS to boot up, it could not be switched on.

That kind of thing scares me.
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Thanks guys. Wasn't expecting to see lockups and issues whilst using a hardware synth.
Old 17th October 2020
Gear Maniac
Oh boy, now I feel a little bit scared. I love this instrument and I had live performances with it. Having been surprised by my Modals, I am never bringing them life without backed up sampled phrases. No I am thinking of doing the same for Prologue. But then - my live performances are always improvised...
Old 22nd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Im a proud new owner of a Prologue 16. Got it yesterday from Thomann and I love it! Its very easy to program and it sounds very beautiful. However I had a lot of issues with it, it had an older firmware installed which had a lot of issues like you would still hear some noise when you hit a key while the audio is set on 0. Voices would be out of tune, when programming it often a few keys would sound distorted, it would make random noise while playing.

The firmware update manual sucks because it doesn't tell you to install the Korg driver and app first. The updater won't work if you use the driver Windows installs. It drove me crazy. But I managed to fix it by connecting the synth first and install the windows driver. Once its installed you need to install the driver via the Korg app. Once you do that the update tool should be able to see the synth then you can install the update. You must apply the voice updates too, you can find these steps in the manual.

It would be better if we could update the synth with a mid or sysex file, the Korg software sucks.

If you're running a Windows 7 system then you should just download the Windows 10 installer, it should work as it did for me.

The update did fix a lot of issues but once a while I still get distorted keys when Ive programmed a patch. I saw a video on YouTube in which a dude had the same problem. I hope Korg will fix this issue.
Gear Nut
Yeah they're not too flash on the software side Korg.

Wait till you try and transfer user oscillators across to the Prologue. It's pretty finicky.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah they're not too flash on the software side Korg.

Wait till you try and transfer user oscillators across to the Prologue. It's pretty finicky.
Yeah, that's just the crappy librarian though. I use logue-cli to to batch load all 16 oscillators all the time. Works all the time.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumidi View Post
The update did fix a lot of issues but once a while I still get distorted keys when Ive programmed a patch. I saw a video on YouTube in which a dude had the same problem. I hope Korg will fix this issue.
Could you show what you mean by distorted keys? I would never accept that. There is too much belief that a firmware update can fix everything. It doesn't. Only if customers react, Korg will change their attitude.
Gear Addict
Quote:
There is too much belief that a firmware update can fix everything. It doesn't.
I had bad leakage from "sub oscs" in mono mode although they were turned off, and a dead octave button on arrival. Returned the unit.
Yul
Lives for gear

Quote:
It goes tomorrow to the store, repair triggered.
Any updates out of curiosity? Thanks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any updates out of curiosity? Thanks
Not yet. I guess it can take a few weeks.
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Yeah, that's just the crappy librarian though. I use logue-cli to to batch load all 16 oscillators all the time. Works all the time.
Guess I'll have to install msys and cli then. Gave up the other night after having got a few oscillators and a couple effects across.

When you choose a user oscillator or effect to load using cli does it automatically read what sort of code it is? ie it knows to send a user oscillator into a user oscillator slot etc.
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guess I'll have to install msys and cli then. Gave up the other night after having got a few oscillators and a couple effects across.

When you choose a user oscillator or effect to load using cli does it automatically read what sort of code it is? ie it knows to send a user oscillator into a user oscillator slot etc.
Before giving up on Librarian; try again, make sure you only transfer one oscillator at a time. It's slow that way - but it rarely fails. Cli as a command line tool still only does one oscillator load at a time, but you can write a script to load everything* one after the other.

*-You can load effects and osc's. Sadly, you still need it for Presets - probably should change add that someday to cli.

Quote:
$ logue-cli -h

Usage: logue-cli <command> [options]

Commands:

check: Validate unit packaging.
probe: Obtain information about a connected logue-sdk compatible device.
load: Load specified unit onto a connected logue-sdk compatible device.
clear: Clear unit data from a connected logue-sdk compatible device.

Use -h/--help along with a command to obtain detailed usage information.

$ logue-cli load -h

Usage: logue-cli load <options>

Load Command Options:
-h [ --help ] Display usage help.
-u [ --unit ] arg Path to unit to load. Must be path to unit package
directory.
-s [ --slot ] arg Target slot index for the unit. If this option is
omitted the first free slot will be used.
-l [ --list ] List all available MIDI ports.
-i [ --inport ] arg Input MIDI port index.
-o [ --outport ] arg Output MIDI port index.
-v [ --verbose ] Print out verbose details about each step.
-d [ --debug ] Print out transaction details.
-V [ --version ] Display version information.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't believe it but they sent it back claiming everything is right. And this happened after the Thomann support said a synth should not sound like this. This is a shame for Korg. I am done with this synth. I can recommend everybody to skip this synth. It is a slap in the face. Go for the XD, forget this huge design error called Prologue. It has basically nothing in common with the quality of vintage Korg synths like the Polysix etc.
Yul
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't believe it but they sent it back claiming everything is right. And this happened after the Thomann support said a synth should not sound like this. This is a shame for Korg. I am done with this synth.
Wow sorry to hear about this. This isn't too good. If you ever have a chance to post something about it on Youtube or soundcloud it would be interesting (and maybe help your cause..)

All the best
Lives for gear

Quote:
You won't believe it but they sent it back claiming everything is right. And this happened after the Thomann support said a synth should not sound like this. This is a shame for Korg. I am done with this synth. I can recommend everybody to skip this synth. It is a slap in the face. Go for the XD, forget this huge design error called Prologue. It has basically nothing in common with the quality of vintage Korg synths like the Polysix etc.
The issue with 'everything is right', and a Japanese company, is what they really mean is - it passes our acceptance tests for the product.

That is the level of 'qualification' to return to the field. Doubtful anyone even knew what the problem was.

Did you try opening it and moving some cables around?

I'm replacing all the potentiometers in my Behringer junk. Works awesome afterword!

Some times there a simple fix.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
The issue with 'everything is right', and a Japanese company, is what they really mean is - it passes our acceptance tests for the product.

That is the level of 'qualification' to return to the field. Doubtful anyone even knew what the problem was.

Did you try opening it and moving some cables around?

I'm replacing all the potentiometers in my Behringer junk. Works awesome afterword!

Some times there a simple fix.
I doubt it is as simple as that. Well, I feel a bit treated like an idiot. If you play bass tones and the high notes it is not obvious. I cannot even tell since when this problem exists in my unit. Such cross talk can be bad board design with printed wires too near to each other or not a clean ground plane or whatever.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I doubt it is as simple as that. Well, I feel a bit treated like an idiot. If you play bass tones and the high notes it is not obvious. I cannot even tell since when this problem exists in my unit. Such cross talk can be bad board design with printed wires too near to each other or not a clean ground plane or whatever.
Yup, death with a lot in design. Hard to isolate, hard to fix. Which is probably why you didn't get anywhere. They shrug and ship it back, you go away annoyed. That's a win for them as far as I can tell. Run of the mill test tech is not going to find your problem, he's gonna ship it back saying you're nutz.
Yul
Lives for gear

Quote:

I listened to your example again from the previous post. I admit I wasn't able to capture the issue just some slight hissing sound at some point. Your spectral does show it clearly.

It reminds me of the King Korg. I would play it and always felt like something was off. Then one day I fire up SPAN and realize the oscs aliases a lot in the upper ranges (especially with chords) it was just a bad as when we were using Pro53 VST before non aliasing oscs were introduced.

Probably not your case here but I totally get how you feel and why Korg would not acknowledge it since it doesn't concern 99% of their clients..
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

A black key on my prologue makes a metallic springy sound when pressed. Is there a guide anywhere on how to open this synth up to examine the keybed?
Lives for gear

Quote:

Did you install the last firmware? Mine had all kind of issues out of the box but the updating the firmware has fixed it. I did run into driver issues but I've fixed that. Just like some user posted a while ago on this board, why do companies bother with these updaters? Just give release sysex updates and we can upload them via MIDI which saves us tons of headache. Just simple and plain.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m still waiting on my special order “Cutoff” knob. I’ve swapped it on to the Shape knob for finer parameter adjustment and performance apps. Should have ordered more when I found out the lead time. Going back to japan is always a hefty wait.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Did you install the last firmware? Mine had all kind of issues out of the box but the updating the firmware has fixed it. I did run into driver issues but I've fixed that. Just like some user posted a while ago on this board, why do companies bother with these updaters? Just give release sysex updates and we can upload them via MIDI which saves us tons of headache. Just simple and plain.
Yeah that was the first thing I did when I bought the keyboard. That went fine.

Hasn't happened since so who knows what was going on.

The librarian and usb drivers aren't particularly flash. I've got a few oscillators and effects across. Haven't had a chance to try again nor to try via the other options suggested in this thread. Too busy building a deck. I should have paid someone to do it...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that was the first thing I did when I bought the keyboard. That went fine.

Hasn't happened since so who knows what was going on.

The librarian and usb drivers aren't particularly flash. I've got a few oscillators and effects across. Haven't had a chance to try again nor to try via the other options suggested in this thread. Too busy building a deck. I should have paid someone to do it...
My computer keeps rejecting the drivers, as soon as I connect the synth via USB Windows will install the driver. But this one doesn't work, I need to disable it, install the driver from Korg and then it works.

Companies really should be ashamed for releasing a product with so many bugs. I got the impression that they didn't even test the unit, any tester would notice the out of tune VCO's and all the other bugs.
📝 Reply