The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Prologue
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Do we have to do this again? My god they did FIVE versions of this thing already! How many version do they have to do to please everyone. It's done, wait for the next one.

Personally, I glad there no sequencer. I would never use it. And it would be more stupid buttons I have to ignore to get to the ones I do use. Thankfully, it's perfect* for me. Maybe the next one will be perfect for you.

*-Well, with poly AT if would be perfect.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

Next one won't be a Prologue nor Minilogue Xd either.I don't know what five versions of this thing you're referring to.I didn't read the 230 pages.I'm just giving my opinion,forgive me
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLadder View Post
Next one won't be a Prologue nor Minilogue Xd either.I don't know what five versions of this thing you're referring to.I didn't read the 230 pages.I'm just giving my opinion,forgive me
These are all in the same line:
Prologue 16
Prologue 8
Minilogue XD
Minilogue XD Module
NTS-1
When else have you seen that many associated product versions? That's a fair stretch of work done to satisfy anyone.

A lot of people are buying it for for a lot of different reasons.
Others only need one reason not to buy to buy it.

Honestly, isn't the first group more interesting to discuss?
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Nice! Did you use any third-party oscillators or effects in this?
I used most of the onboard effects in total (such as the 'riser' reverb on the strings you hear in the beginning) for this song. Then I just eq / comp / volume balanced what I could in my DAW.

For this song, I only used the multi as a noise generator. I figured multi was so deep, I will have to look at it separately and possibly create an entire song (or most of it) just using that.

Thanks for listening!
Old 1 day ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
These are all in the same line:
Prologue 16
Prologue 8
Minilogue XD
Minilogue XD Module
NTS-1
I’d also add the Monologue to the list.

I also agree about the missing sequencer not being an issue.
Correct me if I‘m wrong, but I cannot remember any Korg high-end sound-design synthesizer having an embedded step-sequencer.
Embedded sequencers are redundant for this kind of studio equipment, as most studios will use a DAW or a separate full-fledged sequencer.

Looking forward to the Prologue 2 with full poly-AT, multiple envelopes cycling at audio rate, an improved mod matrix, and hopefully a decent user interface with a display with more resolution than a baby watch.
And why not, I’d love to give Korg a couple more bucks for a nice color OLED like the OP-1, an amateur device released almost 10 years ago and still probably years ahead of Korg’s embarrassing UI design.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

Correct me if I‘m wrong, but I cannot remember any Korg high-end sound-design synthesizer having an embedded step-sequencer.
Embedded sequencers are redundant for this kind of studio equipment, as most studios will use a DAW or a separate full-fledged sequencer.

Looking forward to the Prologue 2 with full poly-AT, multiple envelopes cycling at audio rate, an improved mod matrix, and hopefully a decent user interface with a display with more resolution than a baby watch.
And why not, I’d love to give Korg a couple more bucks for a nice color OLED like the OP-1, an amateur device released almost 10 years ago and still probably years ahead of Korg’s embarrassing UI design.
Minilogue XD’s sequencer is not a simple sequencer. It’s a wonderful creative tool also. You can do step edit recording of almost all parameters, so it can be a complex lfo. You’ll have 4 lanes of motion recording. You can play the sequence chromatically across the keyboard.
In my opinion, the sequencer is what makes XD so special and fun to play.
You can assign one step to play arpeggios, two steps to play chords, another steps poly, other mono. You can assign a different user osc per step! Can you imagine how creative it can be? It’s amazing and a lot of fun!
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I disagree about the motion sequencer, it was a core part of mono/mini patch design. It also way compensates for lack of other modulation, you can for example play/retrig on keypress, to gain four modifiers.

At the very least with a DAW you will be working less immediately, with latency. So if you are sequencing a percussive patch, with noise, audio rate LFO, etc, motion sequenced, the experience and result will be different.

P16 would be instabuy for me with bitimbral motion sequencing. Alas..
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Although I have no use for it, Korg motion sequencer is a terrific small format performance tool.

The P16 though is more of a two-hands-on-the-keyboardists platform imho.
Old 23 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

To be fair, the UI design of the OP-1 is many years ahead of everyone else. It is unique and special.
Old 22 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
Minilogue XD’s sequencer is not a simple sequencer. It’s a wonderful creative tool also. You can do step edit recording of almost all parameters, so it can be a complex lfo. You’ll have 4 lanes of motion recording. You can play the sequence chromatically across the keyboard.
In my opinion, the sequencer is what makes XD so special and fun to play.
You can assign one step to play arpeggios, two steps to play chords, another steps poly, other mono. You can assign a different user osc per step! Can you imagine how creative it can be? It’s amazing and a lot of fun!
Definitely. I have to admit I have not yet tried the XD, so I’ll have to check it!
About the sequencer used as a complex LFO, it’s a great option but very limited compared to a true per-voice re-cycling EG one would expect from a sound-design tool.
The Prologue has a different target user base than the XD, for which a sequencer is not really needed, and in some cases might even get in the way. In other words, I doubt Korg would sell a lot more units if they added a sequencer.
Old 22 hours ago
Lives for gear

I apologize in advance for going slightly off topic, but as a Monologue (and PL16) owner, I have to say:

For what the monologue goes for (particularly on the used market), it's an absolute bargain just for the sequencer alone(!), and I'm generally not even a "sequencer guy"

Hope everyone's having a great weekend so far.

Greg
Old 21 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
I'm generally not even a "sequencer guy"
Greg you sound just like me :-)
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Korg OASYS has a step sequencer, I'm pretty sure it's one of the most high end device Korg ever produced. Korg also ended up offering a free SQ1 with the Prologue in some countries at some point. So it's not a matter of a product being "high end", it"s just that whoever specified the device wasn't interested in putting a sequencer in it, for marketing reason maybe.
Old 19 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 View Post
The Korg OASYS has a step sequencer, I'm pretty sure it's one of the most high end device Korg ever produced. Korg also ended up offering a free SQ1 with the Prologue in some countries at some point. So it's not a matter of a product being "high end", it"s just that whoever specified the device wasn't interested in putting a sequencer in it, for marketing reason maybe.
To be fair though, the main sequencers in the Oasys and Kronos are linear sequencers, with some pattern functionality. They aren't strictly step sequencers.

The step sequencers included in the synth engines are more for parameter step sequencing. If you use them to step sequence melodies, you get issues with note gates not retriggering properly.
Old 17 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

Sequencers are redundant for this kind of studio equipment,that's why Sequential Prophet-6,OB-6,Pro-3 for example have one.
Old 13 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by psionic11 View Post
To be fair though, the main sequencers in the Oasys and Kronos are linear sequencers, with some pattern functionality. They aren't strictly step sequencers.

The step sequencers included in the synth engines are more for parameter step sequencing. If you use them to step sequence melodies, you get issues with note gates not retriggering properly.
You're splitting hairs. The point is the the Prologue is not a high end device and Korg did include sequencers in their high end devices before. The Prologue not having a sequencer has nothing to do with the "high end" nature of a Korg product.

Quote:
Sequencers are redundant for this kind of studio equipment,that's why Sequential Prophet-6,OB-6,Pro-3 for example have one.
And the Moog One, the Modal 008, ...
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're splitting hairs. The point is the the Prologue is not a high end device and Korg did include sequencers in their high end devices before. The Prologue not having a sequencer has nothing to do with the "high end" nature of a Korg product.

A high end, or flagship product doesn't have to have a sequencer. It doesn't have to have any list of specific characteristics to qualify for it. What it does have a user loadable oscillators and effects and a SDK to go with it. A sequencer compared to that? Pppffftttt.

Quote:
So does behringer poly-d, it's not important to the product. Got an SQ-1. I have one I never use either.
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
You're splitting hairs. The point is the the Prologue is not a high end device and Korg did include sequencers in their high end devices before.
I am talking about pure synthesizers.
Korg has always segmented their high end devices into pure synthesizers and workstations.
Also, as previously noted by psionic11, Korg workstations have linear sequencers, quite a different beast than step sequencers.
I believe that the main reason why the dated Kronos is not being replaced by a newer workstation is that DAWs are now much more powerful and convenient to use in a studio.
I have no interest whatsoever in a new Kronos, as each one of its features is bested by other discrete components I can use right now.
Quote:
The cited competitors do not offer any workstation product, and (with just the One exception) must span from the hobbyist to the pro user. That’s the reason why you also get a *step* sequencer.
While I find it fun to play with their step sequencers, even the best ones (I love the Pro 3) are quite limited for studio usage. Even for a very simple composition, let alone soundtracks.
DAW killed the sequencer star.
Old 10 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC View Post
I apologize in advance for going slightly off topic, but as a Monologue (and PL16) owner, I have to say:

For what the monologue goes for (particularly on the used market), it's an absolute bargain just for the sequencer alone(!), and I'm generally not even a "sequencer guy"

Hope everyone's having a great weekend so far.

Greg
I wasn't either..! Before this very synth I thought "what's the point of these on board sequencers"..

There's something magic with the playability/simplicity of the monologue imo.
Old 9 hours ago
Here for the gear

can some provide me with audio of the noise floor on the Prologue?
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
You're splitting hairs.
It's more like the difference between dread locks and razor stubble.

A step sequencer is a far cry from a linear sequencer.

Quote:
The point is the the Prologue is not a high end device and Korg did include sequencers in their high end devices before. The Prologue not having a sequencer has nothing to do with the "high end" nature of a Korg product.
Given that the Prologue is Korg's current top of the line analog synthesizer, it is a shame that they didn't include the Minilogue's step sequencer, since it was already developed.

It is what it is.
Old 9 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I believe that the main reason why the dated Kronos is not being replaced by a newer workstation is that DAWs are now much more powerful and convenient to use in a studio.
I have no interest whatsoever in a new Kronos, as each one of its features is bested by other discrete components I can use right now.
You may be right about why the Kronos has not had a successor yet. But then again, the market for live workstation keyboards are generally different from DAW users. We're now about 2 decades into computer DAWs. And yet the number of live players who bring a workstation on stage seems to be far greater than those who bring just a laptop and controller keyboard instead. In much of the live circuit where I played, it's often still frowned upon if you even use an ipad on stage.

I don't think DAWs have entirely killed off the hardware workstation segment. Caffeine's kicked in, so here comes another list:

-- the Montage was released as a "performance synth" without a sequencer. The outcry from the userbase resulted in updates to include a "scratch" sequencer

-- the Fantom is a new hardware workstation release that seems fairly popular

-- Roland and Akai and others have several groovebox-style workstations on the market

-- the Forte and PC4 are recent workstation releases that haven't entirely flopped

-- there seems to be a trend of going DAW-less these days

Old 8 hours ago
Lives for gear

I’m saving my money for the new King Korg with a stylish metal case, sequencer, and stuffed with tons of arp patterns to play with. It will of course have a keybed that feels like butter and include Aftertouch. I actually feel the present KK sounds better than the Prologue in someways, it has a beefy and alive sound from the many videos I’ve watched. I LOVE the look of the Prologue, they should use a similar casing. If the KK was shipped in the Prologue casing with nice keys, it would already be sitting in my workspace.
Old 7 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
[...]
-- there seems to be a trend of going DAW-less these days
There is. Making music is now cheaper than ever, and a lot of hobbyists find DAWs overwhelming. Also modular is coming back, and becoming very popular.

I also agree that a *linear* sequencer is convenient for people who play live (all-in-one solution, increased reliability, etc). But a performer needs sequenced songs, and I think we both agree that a *step* sequencer is no use for that, except for a very few artists (Lisa, and the like).

Back to topic, the Prologue is a studio synthesizer. It does not interface to modular. It cannot be your go-to gig device, and not only because it lacks a sequencer.
I’ve seen live pop performances where the conveniently small XD was used (4 voices were more than enough), but never touching the sequencer...
... but that might have been because they couldn’t find the cable to sync the sequencer with the human drummer
Old 6 hours ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I am talking about pure synthesizers.
Korg has always segmented their high end devices into pure synthesizers and workstations.
Also, as previously noted by psionic11, Korg workstations have linear sequencers, quite a different beast than step sequencers.
Quote:
It's more like the difference between dread locks and razor stubble.

A step sequencer is a far cry from a linear sequencer.

Given that the Prologue is Korg's current top of the line analog synthesizer, it is a shame that they didn't include the Minilogue's step sequencer, since it was already developed.

It is what it is.
The MS2000 had a step sequencer. So did the Radias.
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

I think we can agree that while the Prologue is the top of the logue line, it is not really a competitor to other companies' flagships that cost 2x-3x as much. There were corners intentionally cut to provide a great sound and great keyboard at a specific mid-range price. I think they have succeeded wonderfully at that.
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soop View Post
can some provide me with audio of the noise floor on the Prologue?
These captures are still smoking out of my P16.

No compressor:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fw...KifUgC9TReUs91

Max compressor:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ql...BARfuL-eb2P95M

Notes:
- Files are 48kHz, stereo, 32 bit floats.
- Signal path is P16 -> good_cable -> Scarlett18i20 -> Mac USB.
- Scarlett ports are 1 and 2. Levels at 12 o'clock.
- Test signal is from the Init preset, with OSC1 shape changed to triangular.
- P16 master volume has been adjusted so that test signal (440 Hz) stays at -6db. Enabling compressor required a lower master volume to match.
- Select a silence area outside the test signal and apply digital amplification to check noise floor.
- Note that the Prologue is not the only noise source, so take this with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps.
Old 5 hours ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
These captures are still smoking out of my P16.

No compressor:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fw...KifUgC9TReUs91

Max compressor:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ql...BARfuL-eb2P95M

Notes:
- Files are 48kHz, stereo, 32 bit floats.
- Signal path is P16 -> good_cable -> Scarlett18i20 -> Mac USB.
- Scarlett ports are 1 and 2. Levels at 12 o'clock.
- Test signal is from the Init preset, with OSC1 shape changed to triangular.
- P16 master volume has been adjusted so that test signal (440 Hz) stays at -6db. Enabling compressor required a lower master volume to match.
- Select a silence area outside the test signal and apply digital amplification to check noise floor.
- Note that the Prologue is not the only noise source, so take this with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps.

It did, I appreciate you!
Old 4 hours ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
The cited competitors do not offer any workstation product, and (with just the One exception) must span from the hobbyist to the pro user. That’s the reason why you also get a *step* sequencer.
While I find it fun to play with their step sequencers, even the best ones (I love the Pro 3) are quite limited for studio usage. Even for a very simple composition, let alone soundtracks.
DAW killed the sequencer star.
What a snob comment!...That's like you're saying professionals don't use step sequencers?
Old 4 hours ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumblepig View Post
Thanks much, Mark! Glad you liked this track. Bryan is an amazing musician and such a sweet guy. I'd only barely met him when we recorded this... I'd just landed back in Berlin to find that my gig with the Bevis Frond was off. Robyn Hitchcock was meanwhile playing a few blocks from my apartment, so caught that gig instead. Bryan had recently moved to Berlin but I think he knew Robyn from GA or maybe from Norway! Anyway, he came by a few days after the gig and rocked his psychedelic socks off!

He's played on a few further tracks of mine for a thing called Christian Wife that also features psych freak Sharron Kraus. Despite her very folky ways and Bryan as rock guitarist, the songs are still pretty synthy at heart.
Cool. Post links to where I find your stuff.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search