The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Prologue
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I'm really not sure whether to get this or hold out for the Ub-Xa/P600 remakes...

It's annoying how there are no deep dives into this synth online, just a bunch of dudes roaming through the presets like salesmen.

Does anybody know where to find some examples that show the raw tones sans effects?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

@ kevizzles , yeah I know. The thing is a complete mystery until you get it. Then you find it's nothing like what you expect it was. Most annoyingly, every time someone drops a new oscillator, the damn thing changes again! After having it for several months, I'm not surprised. It's a chameleon. :-)

I've had my eye on the UB-Xa for even longer. I hope it goes well with Prologue and Kronos.

Last edited by SkyWriter; 1 week ago at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Tippy-typo's
Old 1 week ago
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevizzles View Post
I'm really not sure whether to get this or hold out for the Ub-Xa/P600 remakes...

It's annoying how there are no deep dives into this synth online, just a bunch of dudes roaming through the presets like salesmen.

Does anybody know where to find some examples that show the raw tones sans effects?
Here's the solution, get the prologue, then get the ubxa, then get the pro 800.

Here's a couple of videos with logue taking solo duties.

and a track using it for harmonies (alongside the VC340).

It's an awesome synth.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

New oscillator!
https://cain-synthesizer.com/cain-cz-2

Merry Christmas!

...and I guess I just learned the binary load image is a zip file with the manifest and bin file for the plugin. Huh.

Ha, I forgot the Cosmo branding on CZ.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
New oscillator!
https://cain-synthesizer.com/cain-cz-2

Merry Christmas!

...and I guess I just learned the binary load image is a zip file with the manifest and bin file for the plugin. Huh.

Ha, I forgot the Cosmo branding on CZ.
Is this your own code? cant wait to try it out tomorrow.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalplated View Post
Is this your own code? cant wait to try it out tomorrow.
Oops! No :-) it's pretty cool sounding. I would prefer an EG builtin - which the author has in his plans.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
@ RobLocksley , Re: 2. No. The Amp-EG is for all three. The digital osc can bypass the filter, so you can add EG or LFO dynamics to the digital oscillator (in code) that are different from the filter contour. Also, layering net's you 2 amp-eg's, 2 filter-eg's, 2 lfo's and however many EG's and LFO's you want to put into an oscillator.

Many people point to the 6 params (8 counter shape and shiftshape), as too few controls. But, like Roll-Log's Syng, Fume, and Scan, you can use one params to index 128 menu versions as many as 640 menu options.

Here there are 20 menu variations of five core waveforms from logue firmware - the rest are available as "Wave Data" in the sub menus:

There's and LFO, several EG types, a 4-stage sequencer, wavetable selector, Keytracking, pitch modulation, LFO and EG amplitudes. Pretty cool modulation!
Syng and Fume are really surprising!
They’re almost endless in possibilities.
Best buy until now.

ON the other hand, Pluck V2 is really disappointing. It sounds nice but it has only 2 parameters (3 with shape). Much more expensive, also. I’m trying to be refunded, but no answer until now.
Beats is great, btw, although I prefer the level to be higher and the snare pitch parameter to be more extreme. But it’s great fun!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Try PluckV2 with layering. It has a very nice attack to add to anything. Or, get Mutable Instruments MO2 String (inharmonic oscillator) and compare it. I wouldn't give up on it too quickly.

Along with Syng (formant) and Fume (FM) (excellent params menu too), you can try Scan (wavetable).
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
I finally upgraded the firmware on the Prologue and the tuning is stable, where it wasn't before. This is only the 2nd time that I've messed with it much and the tone seems to need some EQ in the midrange as the mids seem hollowed out. Is anything else experiencing this?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Try PluckV2 with layering. It has a very nice attack to add to anything. Or, get Mutable Instruments MO2 String (inharmonic oscillator) and compare it. I wouldn't give up on it too quickly.

Along with Syng (formant) and Fume (FM) (excellent params menu too), you can try Scan (wavetable).
Yes, already have Scan. Also great!

Pluck V2 really sounds great but it's too limited for the price.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarao View Post
Yes, already have Scan. Also great!

Pluck V2 really sounds great but it's too limited for the price.
PluckV2 could do with some more development. Try the Mutable Instruments port MO2 String - the inharmonic oscillator. It's similar in some areas (both KS), but has both much more control over the simulation and added LFO modulation. Although I would have preferred an EG.

In general, if not for the fact that the MI plugin's only have LFO's, I would recommend everyone start with just those. There is a huge value there - twice that with an EG. For free.

Having said that, I support the entire ecosystem; free, paid, donation, contribution. Considering the price I paid for the instrument another $50-$100 in new sonic territory is a no-brainer. I look at it like a sampler; it comes with core capability but you add value by buying, making, trading. Only the sampler modeling is always the same. With logue you can do whatever you want - within limits. Those limits though are no more onerous than an analog synth by itself.

Combine PluckV2 with Mod st or MO2str! Or Mod st with MO2str! Add body with 4 analogs detuned :-) crazy!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
PluckV2 could do with some more development. Try the Mutable Instruments port MO2 String - the inharmonic oscillator. It's similar in some areas (both KS), but has both much more control over the simulation and added LFO modulation. Although I would have preferred an EG.

In general, if not for the fact that the MI plugin's only have LFO's, I would recommend everyone start with just those. There is a huge value there - twice that with an EG. For free.

Having said that, I support the entire ecosystem; free, paid, donation, contribution. Considering the price I paid for the instrument another $50-$100 in new sonic territory is a no-brainer. I look at it like a sampler; it comes with core capability but you add value by buying, making, trading. Only the sampler modeling is always the same. With logue you can do whatever you want - within limits. Those limits though are no more onerous than an analog synth by itself.

Combine PluckV2 with Mod st or MO2str! Or Mod st with MO2str! Add body with 4 analogs detuned :-) crazy!
yes, reloaded mo2str and you're right: it's great.
i'm having a problem with mod st: it's very buggy and messes with the multi engine. i have the latest firmware.
also, there are 3 versions of the mod st: mod st 16, mod st 24 and mod st.
i tried mod st, only, and it's very buggy.
i don't get the differences...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
yes, reloaded mo2str and you're right: it's great.
i'm having a problem with mod st: it's very buggy and messes with the multi engine. i have the latest firmware.
also, there are 3 versions of the mod st: mod st 16, mod st 24 and mod st.
i tried mod st, only, and it's very buggy.
i don't get the differences...
Mod st is a bit like that. In the README.md (https://github.com/peterall/eurorack...ster/README.md), he tells the tale of three st's. Try that.

Can you describe what you mean? I've had it loaded since day one, although I've factory reset three times now. The persistent issues I have are:
1) WOW, it takes forever to load user oscillators.
2) switching between layers to change oscillator menu options, both of which have a user oscillator, is crazy slow. Plus you have to [exit] the menu system to address the right oscillator.
3) sometimes, rarely, but it happens. A preset with Mod st will forget it's settings. These are always layered patches.
4) sometimes, rarely, the user oscillator will just act berserk. Power cycle is the only way out.

I play this thing like 4 hours a day, every day. Create patch, play patch, copy patch, tweak the copy, round and round. Sometimes a song comes out. It's wicked fun.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Mod st is a bit like that. In the README.md (https://github.com/peterall/eurorack...ster/README.md), he tells the tale of three st's. Try that.

Can you describe what you mean? I've had it loaded since day one, although I've factory reset three times now. The persistent issues I have are:
1) WOW, it takes forever to load user oscillators.
2) switching between layers to change oscillator menu options, both of which have a user oscillator, is crazy slow. Plus you have to [exit] the menu system to address the right oscillator.
3) sometimes, rarely, but it happens. A preset with Mod st will forget it's settings. These are always layered patches.
4) sometimes, rarely, the user oscillator will just act berserk. Power cycle is the only way out.

I play this thing like 4 hours a day, every day. Create patch, play patch, copy patch, tweak the copy, round and round. Sometimes a song comes out. It's wicked fun.
it's difficult to describe.
It messes with the multi-engine.
sometimes a note freezes, or i can't even change the user osc. have to do a power reboot.

i think i'll reinstall it when a newer version come in...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
it's difficult to describe.
It messes with the multi-engine.
sometimes a note freezes, or i can't even change the user osc. have to do a power reboot.

i think i'll reinstall it when a newer version come in...
Quite likely won't be fixed. A lot of chopping* was done to the memory requirements to get it to fit. The developer even claimed to have problems, and provided a workaround for his issue. Just this morning, I had an issue like you described - cleared it with a power cycle. I never put Mod st in slot one. I have had it in 9 and 15 (see my oscillator list somewhere above).

*-enough for me to want to get the original Elements and build a eurorack around it :-)
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thought I would lost up my current oscillator slots to get some discussing going.

Oscillator
2gwave - new from 2getheraudio a wavetable scanner
MO2fm - all Peter Allwin's Elements & Plaits ports.
MO2gm - granular formant synthesis
MO2add - additive synthesis w/hammond organ harmonic prolife
MO2str* - inharmonic string model
MO2va - 2 osc VA
MO2wsh - waveshaper
MO2wta - wavetables
Mod st* - Strike exciter with modal resonator
One - shoebridge's Moog One tribute osc
Pluckv2* - Karplus Strong
Fold - wavefolder
VOSIM - vocal simulator from Tyrannosaurus
Bent - Wave'bender'
Tube* - resonant tube model with noise sources
Turbo - FM waveshaper

I'm on my third factory reset. I've got so many osc's and effects, I've decided to use 'load sets' of oscillators and presets to keep them all straight. This is the first set, focusing on layered resonant/physical modeling. The analog part is mostly for body, digital provides the core nature of the voicing. Fav's are marked with an *.

Modfx this is my normal lineup. Some stuff may change. Sinevibes & dirtbox makes great effects!
ResBRF
ResHPF
Reso A
Reso B
Hera 2
Corrosion
DCM8
Drift
Shift
SVF BP
Whirl
Ring
Dipole+
Dipole-
Brigade
Buckets

Delfx mostly special stuff
ModDly1
ModDly2
dwnDly1
dwnDly2
UpDly1
UpDly2
Rerun
Time

Revfx Albedo from Sinevibes! Awesome! Also, added Oleg's here to demo. They're still a WIP for Prologue, but Hyper can make it lush.
Albedo
Crusher
Gator
Hyper
Kompressor
Looper
Vibrator

I'm more of a hardware guy (verilog/VHDL), but I've done a lot of software coding as well. All pre-OO craze stuff. Used to be a regular polyglot, but who needs JCL, Modula-2, or Smalltalk anymore. So, my plan is to tackle a great deal of coding for this synth in the next year. There are some source code gifts waiting to be opened!
My problem with the filters is that is seems they all work at user mod.
I would love to see a filter at user delay or user reverb, and then only apply 50% to simulate a parallel filter.
do you know of any filter available that can do that?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
My problem with the filters is that is seems they all work at user mod.
I would love to see a filter at user delay or user reverb, and then only apply 50% to simulate a parallel filter.
do you know of any filter available that can do that?
Atm, no. However, find filter code, and look at Oleg's mod/del/rev effects build. That's where I would go.

2gaudio's supersaw has a filter in the oscillator - pretty cool LP/HP hybrid. I've used that in parallel with the on-board filter on analog, and the osc in filter bypass.

Which type of filter are you thinking of?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Atm, no. However, find filter code, and look at Oleg's mod/del/rev effects build. That's where I would go.

2gaudio's supersaw has a filter in the oscillator - pretty cool LP/HP hybrid. I've used that in parallel with the on-board filter on analog, and the osc in filter bypass.

Which type of filter are you thinking of?
the usual filters stuff...

regarding your suggested supersaw: unfortunately the filter controls can’t be modulated
thank anyway for your suggestions!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

@ camarao , Geez, you know I hadn't even noticed that I didn't try Roll-log's Scan until I mentioned it to you. Now these three (Syng, Fune, Scan), have kept me busy the last couple of days with that crazy modulation table. The last three entries with Env>Amp for attacks address what @ RobLocksley was asking about - for the trivial case of attacks. They make good use of the SDK wavetables - like Wavescan.

I also like MO2wta-wtf for wavetables with LFO's, and Morph1-3 with ADSR.

With limited memory, I would like an oscillator I can modulate like roll-log's, but select from the table I want, in the order I want. Currently there isn't anything like that. Put it on the list I guess.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
the usual filters stuff...

regarding your suggested supersaw: unfortunately the filter controls can’t be modulated
thank anyway for your suggestions!
Wow. Can't believe I missed this:

https://gumroad.com/l/logueMill_mvf_22

You can place a pre-configured filter into mod/del/rev effects slots. <- this link isn't what I thought it was for prologue. But the app (below) might generate it

Quote:
MVF-22 is a stereo morphing filter plug-in for logue-SDK Korg synths. All internal parameters can be edited via the desktop app logueMill, and exported as custom user-unit of any combination of FX types and target platforms.
The files provided here are example patches of different FX types, you can use logueMill to tweak and convert them to your liking. For details please refer to the editor manual.
The manual:
https://rolllogsounds.com/loguemill/mvf-22/

Update: ok, I'm confused. what I downloaded isn't what I thought it was.
Ok... there's an app. I downloaded it. Check it out tomorrow....

Last edited by SkyWriter; 5 days ago at 03:47 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear
I tried those. They sound fine but unfortunately the shift depth doesn’t work as a wet dry mix...
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davique View Post
Thanks. Yeah I think I need to learn to live with it. Filter trick makes sense!
now that it was brought up here, over the past few weeks it is starting to bother me some...has anyone tried opening a ticket on this issue? In regards to the triangle wave sounding overly fizzy every few notes
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

So, read in an other thread some time ago how 'boring' it was that the Prologue thread was all about the digital osc; so lets switch it up a bit.

I got this nice 8 voice Korg now, it got 4 VCOs per voice, 2 seperate filters, 4 ADSR envelopes and 2 LFOs. Sure, it has its issues, as the fuzzy triangle - shape being aplied even though knob is at 0, and such - one can use a clean triangle from the dig-osc; shapes from Hammond is a good one.

Noticed that some parametes are shared, velocity for the amp envelope, but not for the EG-velocity; why one might wonder when having velocity switching for layered sounds is pretty standard?

But yeah, 4 VCOs per voice is not everyday you see on an 8 voiced synth eh
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

The layering gets weird in the menus. I've gone through a patch afterward, and found settings I made different between layers that same. Maybe the 8 and 16 have different bugs there - especially in the digital oscillator

But yeah, it's crazy thick analog :-)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I want to install user oscs, not done yet.

Does anyone know how to switch between user oscillators on the Prologue panel?
Nothing in the manual. Is it hidden in the menu?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
I want to install user oscs, not done yet.

Does anyone know how to switch between user oscillators on the Prologue panel?
Nothing in the manual. Is it hidden in the menu?
It's where WAVES was when you bought it. The only switch that says USR on it - and the type knob.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's where WAVES was when you bought it. The only switch that says USR on it - and the type knob.
That switch selects user oscillators in general, but how to switch between user oscillator slots? Using type? I thought "type" would be exploited within each user oscillator slot to have more variation, not to switch between user oscillator slots. Is there only one type per user oscillator?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
That switch selects user oscillators in general, but how to switch between user oscillator slots? Using type? I thought "type" would be exploited within each user oscillator slot to have more variation, not to switch between user oscillator slots. Is there only one type per user oscillator?
Yes, type switches between slots, and shape, shift-shape, and 6 menu options are used to program the oscillator behavior.

Yes, one type per user oscillator- it's "oscillator type", "type of oscillator".
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLocksley View Post
So, read in an other thread some time ago how 'boring' it was that the Prologue thread was all about the digital osc; so lets switch it up a bit.

I got this nice 8 voice Korg now, it got 4 VCOs per voice, 2 seperate filters, 4 ADSR envelopes and 2 LFOs. Sure, it has its issues, as the fuzzy triangle - shape being aplied even though knob is at 0, and such - one can use a clean triangle from the dig-osc; shapes from Hammond is a good one.

Noticed that some parametes are shared, velocity for the amp envelope, but not for the EG-velocity; why one might wonder when having velocity switching for layered sounds is pretty standard?

But yeah, 4 VCOs per voice is not everyday you see on an 8 voiced synth eh
I imagine the thought goes like: you don't need AMP-EG velocity, because there is a main/sub balance and master volume to normalize the sub. But the same argument works for (filter/osc-pitch)-EG Velocity and EG-INT, and there is separate velocity for the filter-EG. I suppose the mitigating factor is the ear is less able to measure volume as it is noticing a spectral difference. I am assuming the Velocity information is multiplicative wrt to volume - except the velocity curves are decidedly non-linear. What that all means is it was sacrificed for cost and simplicity, I guess.

Is there a list of what is shared and separate between layers outside of the window on the synth in verbose mode?

Also, SHIFT-SHAPE is a pain in the ass to have to DEPRESS the pedal, DEPRESS a key, DPRESS+HOLD the SHIFT all the while ADJUSTing the SHAPE knob, all while trying not to change the setting for the SHAPE setting by accident. Going back and forth; doubly so. I like have a page 2, but at least have it latch. Or forgetting to switch maser/sub switch when working a layer. I wish there was a 'current setting' output per control knob - someone complained about that for patch inspection. I just want it for debugging SHIFT and master/sub issues.

I also worry I'm going to break my value rotor, and mod effects select switch eventually.

I have yet to do a xfade or split patch. Or listen to stock presets, lol!

Today we upgrade the KRONOS; 1TB SSD + new battery :-)
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, type switches between slots, and shape, shift-shape, and 6 menu options are used to program the oscillator behavior.

Yes, one type per user oscillator- it's "oscillator type", "type of oscillator".
Thanks. You are very helpful. But now I cannot setup a connection with the librarian. It tells me: "Prologue is not connected" with a popup window.

Did i miss something? I already installed the USB Midi driver.
I tried on two laptops, Windows 7 and Windows 10.

Did not use any button combination when booting up, because nowhere was a hint.

Do you have any idea?

Over the same USB connection the updater was able to update, but using a Mavericks Macbook Pro. The librarian does not allow Mavericks, though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search