The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Korg Prologue
Old 1 week ago
  #6241
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
After a long time researching the Korg Prologue I finally decided to buy it. My local music shop was selling a Korg Prologue 16 which was ex demo for £1200 and I tried it in the shop to see if it had the dreaded tuning issues considering it is an early model with being an ex demo and fortunately there was no problems with the tuning.

I was impressed with the rich atmospheric pads on this baby and finally decided to buy. I was in need of a real analog synth with plenty of polyphony and this fitted the bill. The build quality and materials of this synth are gorgeous. My only gripe is that there is no aftertouch on the keys and there is only one LFO but it is still a gorgeous sounding synth.
you'll enjoy it, it's a great synth. 16 analog voices for 1200 is a steal...
Old 1 week ago
  #6242
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrelatednotes View Post
"Prologue Editor Is The First VST And Standalone Controller For Korg Prologue 8 And 16" - Ask.Audio



Source:
https://ask.audio/articles/prologue-...logue-8-and-16
Can I use this to see the parameters of a sound/patch/preset? Or is it just a controller for changing (but not fetching) parameters?
Old 1 week ago
  #6243
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
you'll enjoy it, it's a great synth. 16 analog voices for 1200 is a steal...
I’m enjoying this synth and some of the brass pads remind me of my ageing Roland Juno 106. As well as the sound the build quality and looks of the Prologue are awesome and it has the looks of a classic synth from yesteryear.

Unfortunately, the synth only came with the power cable in the box. There was no papers and no manuals. I asked the shop manager and he told me the Prologue only came boxed with just the power cable and nothing else.
Old 1 week ago
  #6244
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I’m enjoying this synth and some of the brass pads remind me of my ageing Roland Juno 106. As well as the sound the build quality and looks of the Prologue are awesome and it has the looks of a classic synth from yesteryear.

Unfortunately, the synth only came with the power cable in the box. There was no papers and no manuals. I asked the shop manager and he told me the Prologue only came boxed with just the power cable and nothing else.
That's not quite true. I got a quick start manual with it. The full manual is a download.
Old 1 week ago
  #6245
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
That's not quite true. I got a quick start manual with it. The full manual is a download.
I got the quick start manual...and a sticker.
Old 1 week ago
  #6246
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
I got the quick start manual...and a sticker.
I was going to say I got a sticker too, but it felt like boasting
Old 1 week ago
  #6247
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
That's not quite true. I got a quick start manual with it. The full manual is a download.
Hmm, maybe I should ask who was responsible for unpacking the Prologue when putting it on display in the shop. BTW what does the sticker look like?
Old 1 week ago
  #6248
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
Hmm, maybe I should ask who was responsible for unpacking the Prologue when putting it on display in the shop. BTW what does the sticker look like?
It's red with black lettering, says korg prologue, analogue synth made in japan, something like that.
Old 1 week ago
  #6249
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
It's red with black lettering, says korg prologue, analogue synth made in japan, something like that.
I see. Maybe the reason The Prologue didn’t come with the quick start manual and sticker is because it was an Ex Demo model and it was at a reduced price. I will email Korg enquiring about the missing quick start manual and sticker.
Old 1 week ago
  #6250
xox
Here for the gear
Sounds for Korg Prologue

120 custom vintage classic patches for the Korg Prologue.

https://youtu.be/sDWXD65efPk
Old 1 week ago
  #6251
Gear Nut
 

I’m still enjoying experimenting with the Prologue. However, I went back to my local music store and mentioned if they had found the quick start manual and stickers but they couldn’t find them. The manager told me that when he unboxed the Prologue to put on display there were no quick start manual or stickers in the box he then phoned Korg but was told that he would have to email them. Anyway the person at Korg mentioned that some Ex Demo Prologues only come boxed with the power cable. Hmm. Anyway, he told me he will let me know if Korg will send the quick start manual and stickers to the store for me to collect.
Old 1 week ago
  #6252
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I’m still enjoying experimenting with the Prologue. However, I went back to my local music store and mentioned if they had found the quick start manual and stickers but they couldn’t find them. The manager told me that when he unboxed the Prologue to put on display there were no quick start manual or stickers in the box he then phoned Korg but was told that he would have to email them. Anyway the person at Korg mentioned that some Ex Demo Prologues only come boxed with the power cable. Hmm. Anyway, he told me he will let me know if Korg will send the quick start manual and stickers to the store for me to collect.
This quick start guide is useless, I even forgot that have one, just download normal manual from
Old 1 week ago
  #6253
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpicon View Post
Can I use this to see the parameters of a sound/patch/preset? Or is it just a controller for changing (but not fetching) parameters?
No, it cannot fetch patches from the synth unfortunately. Really limits the usefulness.
Old 1 week ago
  #6254
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpicon View Post
Can I use this to see the parameters of a sound/patch/preset? Or is it just a controller for changing (but not fetching) parameters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye9 View Post
No, it cannot fetch patches from the synth unfortunately. Really limits the usefulness.
The only way I've found to retrieve the parameter settings is more of a headache than it's worth...It does work though. You need to have the knob mode set to "Catch" (Globals>Button 3>Page 3) And the Parameter Display settings set to "All" (Globals>Button 7)

Now when you want to see the stored value of a parameter, just turn the knob in question slowly until you see the parameter value pop up in the display. (It will only start showing the parameter value when you cross the saved value) Like I said, it is a headache and not exact as you can easily scroll too fast and fly right through the saved parameter value. You can always re-load the patch and start again though. This works for switches and buttons as well but it's even more of a headache. And...There are 3 parameters that do not report their values at all no matter what. If I remember correctly I think they are the Master Volume knob, the LF Compressor Gain knob and the Multi-Engine Type.
Old 1 week ago
  #6255
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
The only way I've found to retrieve the parameter settings is more of a headache than it's worth...It does work though. You need to have the knob mode set to "Catch" (Globals>Button 3>Page 3) And the Parameter Display settings set to "All" (Globals>Button 7)

Now when you want to see the stored value of a parameter, just turn the knob in question slowly until you see the parameter value pop up in the display. (It will only start showing the parameter value when you cross the saved value) Like I said, it is a headache and not exact as you can easily scroll too fast and fly right through the saved parameter value. You can always re-load the patch and start again though. This works for switches and buttons as well but it's even more of a headache. And...There are 3 parameters that do not report their values at all no matter what. If I remember correctly I think they are the Master Volume knob, the LF Compressor Gain knob and the Multi-Engine Type.
That's certainly one way. The LF compressor settings and master volume don' t really matter here because they are not part of the patch. The multi-engine type is of course visible in its LED display.

For a stored patch, you could also retrieve the patch via the librarian or via a MIDI Sysex and take apart the dump of the data per documentation provided by Korg. The patch files the librarian stores are really just .zip files that contain what appears to me to be a dump of the MIDI Sysex patch data along with some additional XML wrapper data and directory structure gingerbread, though I have not seen anything like an official file format specification.
Old 1 week ago
  #6256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewE View Post
That's certainly one way. The LF compressor settings and master volume don' t really matter here because they are not part of the patch. The multi-engine type is of course visible in its LED display.

For a stored patch, you could also retrieve the patch via the librarian or via a MIDI Sysex and take apart the dump of the data per documentation provided by Korg. The patch files the librarian stores are really just .zip files that contain what appears to me to be a dump of the MIDI Sysex patch data along with some additional XML wrapper data and directory structure gingerbread, though I have not seen anything like an official file format specification.
Sounds like a good theory. Have you tried this yourself?
Old 1 week ago
  #6257
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
I’m still enjoying experimenting with the Prologue. However, I went back to my local music store and mentioned if they had found the quick start manual and stickers but they couldn’t find them. The manager told me that when he unboxed the Prologue to put on display there were no quick start manual or stickers in the box he then phoned Korg but was told that he would have to email them. Anyway the person at Korg mentioned that some Ex Demo Prologues only come boxed with the power cable. Hmm. Anyway, he told me he will let me know if Korg will send the quick start manual and stickers to the store for me to collect.
Personally I wouldn't worry about it. It's just some small stickers and a fairly useless quickstart guide. Just grab the manual from the Korg site and you're good to go
Old 1 week ago
  #6258
Gear Head
 

This looks good! v2.00

- Support for microtuning feature (as on minilogue xd)
- Added wet/dry mix control to stock delay and reverb effects via shift-depth parameter (as on minilogue xd)
- Display original value
- Support for reception and assignment of MIDI after touch.
- Added controls for arpeggiator speed and gate time.
- Added option to turn off oscilloscope display
- Fixed tempo delay times when master clock is external.
- Fixed display and handling of bipolar percent edit parameters for user oscillators.
- logue-sdk minor update to API version 1.1-0 (developer features)
- Fixed other minor bugs

https://www.korg.com/au/news/2019/0913/
Old 1 week ago
  #6259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios View Post
This looks good! v2.00

- Support for microtuning feature (as on minilogue xd)
- Added wet/dry mix control to stock delay and reverb effects via shift-depth parameter (as on minilogue xd)
- Display original value
- Support for reception and assignment of MIDI after touch.
- Added controls for arpeggiator speed and gate time.
- Added option to turn off oscilloscope display
- Fixed tempo delay times when master clock is external.
- Fixed display and handling of bipolar percent edit parameters for user oscillators.
- logue-sdk minor update to API version 1.1-0 (developer features)
- Fixed other minor bugs

https://www.korg.com/au/news/2019/0913/
Well it's about time. I guess the mumblings I heard were true. Thanks for posting this!
Old 1 week ago
  #6260
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios View Post
This looks good! v2.00

- Support for microtuning feature (as on minilogue xd)
- Added wet/dry mix control to stock delay and reverb effects via shift-depth parameter (as on minilogue xd)
- Display original value
- Support for reception and assignment of MIDI after touch.
- Added controls for arpeggiator speed and gate time.
- Added option to turn off oscilloscope display
- Fixed tempo delay times when master clock is external.
- Fixed display and handling of bipolar percent edit parameters for user oscillators.
- logue-sdk minor update to API version 1.1-0 (developer features)
- Fixed other minor bugs

https://www.korg.com/au/news/2019/0913/
Trouble is that I'm terrified of bricking the unit on an update.
Old 1 week ago
  #6261
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 

update device not found!

latest driver is already installed.
Old 1 week ago
  #6262
Lives for gear
 
mig27's Avatar
Re. updating issues:

I've had a really hard time as well to get my Prologue updated to 1.32

Win 10 latest rev.
Device not recognized, you know the story.

Reading up on fixes wasn't reassuring, as I don't like to mess with Windows' registry settings.
The issue really has to do with too many MIDI devices installed on a given machine. I should mention that I was updating from my studio computer that has been in heavy production use for 6 years. So there is the inevitable clutter of drivers.

Anyhow.

EASY FIX:

Just grab a "clean" PC or Notebook.
I. e. one dedicated to office use with no music apps installed.
Everything worked immediately with my company laptop.
No tinkering around.

My 2 cents.
Good luck & good night
Old 1 week ago
  #6263
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios View Post
This looks good! v2.00

- Support for microtuning feature (as on minilogue xd)
- Added wet/dry mix control to stock delay and reverb effects via shift-depth parameter (as on minilogue xd)
- Display original value
- Support for reception and assignment of MIDI after touch.
- Added controls for arpeggiator speed and gate time.
- Added option to turn off oscilloscope display
- Fixed tempo delay times when master clock is external.
- Fixed display and handling of bipolar percent edit parameters for user oscillators.
- logue-sdk minor update to API version 1.1-0 (developer features)
- Fixed other minor bugs

https://www.korg.com/au/news/2019/0913/
Not bad.

I am still waiting for user defined chords.
Old 1 week ago
  #6264
Updated via my mac - zero issues and prologue didn't brick/explode.

I've actually been considering selling my prologue but 20 mins playing around with the new features in the 2.0 update has won me over to its charms again. All the additions are ace and breath some much needed new life into the beast. The microtuning and arp additions are killer and even the simple stuff like the dry/wet amount on the effects makes a huge difference. Plus, hooked it up to my Rev 2 and the aftertouch works a treat - although it would be nice to have an amount option (unless I've not found that yet). The general functioning of the synth seems to have been polished, feels like a much smoother package now.

Very chuffed with this - gives me hope for more features in the future.
Old 1 week ago
  #6265
Lives for gear
 
Synthpark's Avatar
One question to prologue ownwers:

I have the feeling that the ensemble effect shifts the signal slightly to the right, unlike the chorus.
Do you experience the same?
Old 1 week ago
  #6266
Lives for gear
 
mig27's Avatar
And while we're at it - what are your fave custom oscillators and FX?
Couldn't find a comprehensive list of things.

Here's a screenshot of what I have currently installed (some free, some paid for).
Attached Thumbnails
Korg Prologue-prologue-custom-oscillators.jpg  
Old 1 week ago
  #6267
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
And while we're at it - what are your fave custom oscillators and FX?
Couldn't find a comprehensive list of things.
I don't even own a Prologue, but a list (for example here) that is updated regularly would really be useful. There's one in Reddit, but it hasn't been updated in a long time.

There's also very little discussion on the quality and features of the available customs OSCs.
Old 1 week ago
  #6268
Lives for gear
 
filterfreak's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig27 View Post
Re. updating issues:

I've had a really hard time as well to get my Prologue updated to 1.32

Win 10 latest rev.
Device not recognized, you know the story.

Reading up on fixes wasn't reassuring, as I don't like to mess with Windows' registry settings.
The issue really has to do with too many MIDI devices installed on a given machine. I should mention that I was updating from my studio computer that has been in heavy production use for 6 years. So there is the inevitable clutter of drivers.

Anyhow.

EASY FIX:

Just grab a "clean" PC or Notebook.
I. e. one dedicated to office use with no music apps installed.
Everything worked immediately with my company laptop.
No tinkering around.

My 2 cents.
Good luck & good night
Thanks for the tip.

So the too many drivers problem still isn ˋt solved cause of their ancient driver
architecture
Old 1 week ago
  #6269
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobustAmerican View Post
The only way I've found to retrieve the parameter settings is more of a headache than it's worth...It does work though. You need to have the knob mode set to "Catch" (Globals>Button 3>Page 3) And the Parameter Display settings set to "All" (Globals>Button 7)

Now when you want to see the stored value of a parameter, just turn the knob in question slowly until you see the parameter value pop up in the display...
Funny, version 2 offers "original value display", very quick reaction to our discussion here

Maybe the "relative" knob mode would also help, just moving the knob as little as you can forth and back should also deliver quite the original value.. anyway, time to install the update.
Old 1 week ago
  #6270
Gear Maniac
 
jimknopf's Avatar
With version 2 online, no effects addition from XD.

Three really useful updates:
- wet dry mix control for reverb and delay
- delay tempo sync with external clock
- aftertouch control from external midi devices

I couldn't care less about things like microtuning...

On the positive side: a sign of life. Update and panel/voice update went smooth here.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump